OH I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!

Parallel
Parallel's picture
User is offlineOffline
OH I HAVE SEEN THE LIGHT!

Lovely title there eh? Well:

Why do we bother arguing with Christians and Creationists?

Lil' Disclaimer: I'm not regarding ALL theism, just Christianity.

If you're dumb enough to believe in Christianity you won't understand science and if you will, chances are you haven't read the bible fully. We have no means of convincing them they're idiots because they'll just stare blankly at you with a drool hanging out of their mouths and then when their brain starts working they come up with some completely contradictory snappy remark. I vote we give up on Christians all together, if they want to sacrifice their "free will" for fantasies I say let them.

"I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them." ~Galileo Galilei

ronin-dog
Scientist
ronin-dog's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are partially right.

You are partially right. There is no point arguing with fundies of any religion.

But we should be there to gently answer the questions of those who are questioning their faith and to let religious folk know that there is an alternative to blind belief.

Zen-atheist wielding Occam's katana.

Jesus said, "Suppose ye that I am come to give peace on earth? I tell you, Nay; but rather division." - Luke 12:51

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just say "How do you know

Just say "How do you know G-d didn't do it that way?  Are you placing limitations on G-d?  Do you think you know more than G-d?  Who are you to decide how G-d does something?"

Keep up that line of questioning.  Don't even let on that you're an atheist.  Whenever I get stuck trying to un-brainwash a Creationist, I definitely don't tell them I'm Jewish because then they'd want to save my eternal soul from a life without Jesus.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."