It looks like Modern Art ...

It looks like Modern Art ...

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Those are some expensive

Those are some expensive fries....

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
Deadly Fingergun's picture
User is offlineOffline
Three cheers for the "Drip

Three cheers for the "Drip Technique".

I think my cat hacked up something similar yesterday: Gwup gwup gwup *splorch* ART!

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
If you won a lawsuit against

If you won a lawsuit against the person who owns it and they had to turn it over to you I bet you'd think it was worth 148 million then, maybe even more.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks like my brillo pad

Looks like my brillo pad after cleaning the frying pan.

Looks like it was lying on the floor as a real painter worked on his canvas above it. It should be called Picasso's Crusty Carpet.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't much care for

I don't much care for abstract art but I think it's interesting. A friend of mine who is a curator once brought to my attention that you don't see abstract art very much anymore except on screensavers. On screensavers you see it a lot and people seem to like it, maybe that's the proper milieu, but if a person did it everyone says "Wow, that looks like shit, I could do that with a crayon stuck between my toes " or something like that. It's kind of funny.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:[...] but if a

Gauche wrote:
[...] but if a person did it everyone says "Wow, that looks like shit, I could do that with a crayon stuck between my toes " or something like that. It's kind of funny.
Which always prompts me to ask the person, 'But you didn't, did you?'  Which then gets me an annoyed kind of look, to which I respond, ''Thought so.'

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:If you won a

Gauche wrote:
If you won a lawsuit against the person who owns it and they had to turn it over to you I bet you'd think it was worth 148 million then, maybe even more.

I would not, but I'd be glad others did.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Gauche

Thomathy wrote:

Gauche wrote:
[...] but if a person did it everyone says "Wow, that looks like shit, I could do that with a crayon stuck between my toes " or something like that. It's kind of funny.
Which always prompts me to ask the person, 'But you didn't, did you?'  Which then gets me an annoyed kind of look, to which I respond, ''Thought so.'

Yeah, that's pretty much it I think. You have to give the guy some credit even if you think it's a total sham. He was still the first one to do it, and sell it, and become famous like that. People see something that's not a pictoral representation and they say that it's easy but there's line and form and color and not every combination of those things is necessarily asthetically pleasing. On the other hand, painting a portrait or something like that is nowhere near as difficult as people generally believe that it is.

H.P. Lovecraft

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Deadly Fingergun

Deadly Fingergun wrote:

Gauche wrote:

I would not, but I'd be glad others did.

Well, to be honest I don't think things that can be reproduced like paintings have value at all except raw materials. You could make billions of them and give one to every person on the planet. The fact that it's the one the guy actually painted is pretty meaningless I think. I mean what difference does that make?

H.P. Lovecraft

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:Well, to be

Gauche wrote:
Well, to be honest I don't think things that can be reproduced like paintings have value at all except raw materials. You could make billions of them and give one to every person on the planet. The fact that it's the one the guy actually painted is pretty meaningless I think. I mean what difference does that make?
Whatever difference people want it to make: Perceived rarity.

Value is in the eye of the beholder, and I value gullible beholders

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Art is is the art of

Art is is the art of selling. Diamonds should be worthless. SHOULD BE. They don't feed people. They don't build schools. They are merely a thing that a few companies managed to monopolize and sell as popular.

As far as this painting, I agree, I don't get it. I like paintings that are realistic. I saw once a painter who painted a photograph SO detailed that when you looked at the photo vs the painting, you could not tell the difference. THAT is talent.

BUT I also can see the appeal to the abstract. This one though, I wouldn't buy it at a flee market for a nickle. Art really is in the eye. I just think the hype on this one is over bloated and the moron who forked over the money might as well believe in Thor or FSM.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Waiting for Oblivion
Waiting for Oblivion's picture
User is offlineOffline
This painting is bad and

This painting is bad and it's painter should feel bad about it.

Parallel
Parallel's picture
User is offlineOffline
30 Million please.

30 Million please.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I ever "got" "art", I'd

If I ever "got" "art", I'd be rich on it. I could easily replicate a whole tonne of high value art if I chose to. I don't get it though, so I'd be completely depending on others to get it for me. And I'd be competing with a whole bunch of people who do get it, effectively crippling my efforts.
I don't get art, poetry, or any form of story telling save the actual telling of the story. I don't see the need to dress it up to make it more complicated.

Brian37 wrote:
Diamonds should be worthless.

I wouldn't go that far. They have plenty of useful applications. But I would definitely agree that they are hyper-inflated in value. Much like gold.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Vastet wrote:
If I ever "got" "art", I'd be rich on it. I could easily replicate a whole tonne of high value art if I chose to. I don't get it though, so I'd be completely depending on others to get it for me. And I'd be competing with a whole bunch of people who do get it, effectively crippling my efforts. I don't get art, poetry, or any form of story telling save the actual telling of the story. I don't see the need to dress it up to make it more complicated.
Brian37 wrote:
Diamonds should be worthless.
I wouldn't go that far. They have plenty of useful applications. But I would definitely agree that they are hyper-inflated in value. Much like gold.

Art isn't supposed to have a point. That is what makes it art.

The moment you take something useful, and make it useless, it becomes art and a statement of itself.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Deadly Fingergun
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Waiting for Oblivion

Waiting for Oblivion wrote:
This painting is bad and it's painter should feel bad about it.
Too late, he's dead.

Big E wrote:
Clown
Why, yes, I am!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Art isn't

ClockCat wrote:
Art isn't supposed to have a point. That is what makes it art. The moment you take something useful, and make it useless, it becomes art and a statement of itself.

I need a point that makes sense to me. I can get landscapes and people and objects, but art is too nebulous. And it can be found all around you anyway. I wouldn't pay money for it.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Vastet wrote:
ClockCat wrote:
Art isn't supposed to have a point. That is what makes it art. The moment you take something useful, and make it useless, it becomes art and a statement of itself.
I need a point that makes sense to me. I can get landscapes and people and objects, but art is too nebulous. And it can be found all around you anyway. I wouldn't pay money for it.

And this is why value of art is subjective.

People can label a value to it, but it varies wildly from one to the next. It ends up being "what would X pay for it. Then if I want it more, I need to pay more."

Often it becomes a common pissing contest between affluent people. Such is the way of things.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Unrepentant_Elitist
Science FreakGold Member
Unrepentant_Elitist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Gauche

Thomathy wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Well said! I enjoy Pollock's works, but I have always preferred Kandinsky (granted they are stylistically night and day, but...).