Hello from the Bible belt

Yondarea
User is offlineOffline
Hello from the Bible belt

So I have been registered for about a year but have never posted. I got the newsletter link in my email which brought me back and I decided to say hey.

I live smack dab in the middle of christian central which makes for a tough existence. I wouldn't dream of publicly letting anyone (particularly co-workers) know that I am atheist for fear it would seriously and negatively affect my ability to promote within the company.

If you even begin to hint that you are atheist you get looks that are very clear you do not want to go to that line of conversation.

I work full time, hold down a full course load, just bought a house, just got married (to a christian, we are a mixed marriage...lol) and he is also a full time student but unemployed.

I guess I just wanted to pop in and say hi to people who would allow me to really be me.

Thanks for this site.

Yondarea (Cyndy)

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome Yondarea

Feel free to be godless all over the place. I should be working but instead am time-wasting sinfully on RRS. And it feels great.

I grew up in a freaky fundamentalist evangelist preacher's house so I know what you are talking about but I cannot imagine being surrounded by the godly all day long.

Congratulations on being brave enough to never let go of being you.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Hey Cyndy, don't just come

Hey Cyndy, don't just come in for a quicky... you'll make us feel dirty.  Take off your jacket, I'll make you a beverage.  What's the beverage of your choice?

Welcome aboard,

Brian

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
 HI Cyndy!Please stick

HI Cyndy!

Please stick around and tell us stories about being married to a Christian  Eye-wink

Welcome to the land of posting!!

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Cyndy, I understand the

Hi Cyndy,

I understand the mixed marriage thing, I had a born again Christian girlfriend for awhile until she saw I was really sincere in my disbelief.

Come here often to help keep yourself sane. The more you do the better  you will feel.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

Nakhla
Nakhla's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey I'm from the buckle of

Hey I'm from the buckle of the bible belt, me I don't care if my co-workers know I'm an atheist. I've challenged all the bible thumpers I work with to a debate. But anyways welcome.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! It's unfortunate

Welcome! It's unfortunate that so many are persecuted for not believing in fairy tales.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote: I

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

I had a born again Christian girlfriend for awhile until she saw I was really sincere in my disbelief.

Lol

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Cyndy.

Hi Cyndy.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Welcome! I know how you

Welcome!

I know how you feel, I live in a fairly conservative area and I don't feel comfortable coming out of the closet about my atheism either.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Yondarea
User is offlineOffline
Thank you all so much for

Thank you all so much for your warm welcome.

It is certainly nice to be among people who can identify with my situation.

On the one hand I don't feel as if I should have to treat my atheism as a closely guarded secret, yet on the other hand I am not willing to risk future promotion potential just because I don't think its fair I have to guard it.

Well you guys get my drift.

Thanks again for the warm welcome

Cyndy

Watcher
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hello!Yeah...bible belt. 

Hello!

Yeah...bible belt.  Same here.

It's so fun to see a man in his mid-50's standing on the sidewalk, about 150 extra lbs of fat hanging off his gut, and a skin-tight t-shirt tucked over it into his khaki shorts, with "Real men love Jesus" emblazoned on it.

What a fucking retard.

"I am an atheist, thank God." -Oriana Fallaci