Aliens

Parallel
Parallel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aliens

Well me and a friend of mine just had an argument regarding aliens, he thinks aliens are working with the government and have been us since the caveman days. He sounds just like an argumentative Christian only saying "aliens" instead of "God" and "Jesus." It's hilarious but a bit sad at the same time.

Quote:

------------- 10:59 pm
    u do realize that basically aliens = god right?

Me 11:00 pm
    lol
    you're really making this into a religion aren't you?
--------------- 11:00 pm
    hmm u can think of it as a mix of religion and science, kinda like combining both in a sense

A quote from the conversation.

Anyone mind knocking some sense into him for me? He's kind of annoying, just reply here with a response.

"I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them." ~Galileo Galilei

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Aliens

Reproducible empirical evidence, please.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, the obvious problem here

OK, the obvious problem here is the definition of god.

The most common definition of god that is kicking around these days is that of the guy who made the universe, including time and space. Now that has a host of problems that have been fully dealt with in too many other threads, so I am not going to bother with that here.

Basically, that god also made the aliens, so his idea of aliens=god cannot be that.

What he is saying is that aliens are so far advanced over us that they night as well be god. Let me toy with that.

Why assume that aliens are automatically more advanced than we are? If different cultures around the galaxy are at different levels of development, then I see no reason to assume that we are at the bottom of the list.

Just for shits and giggles, let's say that there are thousands of planets with intelligent life on them. Some of them may have developed past us. However, some may not yet have reached our level of development.

Now let's jump in the spaceship of the mind and abduct some dude from a stone age culture. What would he say about us?

The internet is the sum of all knowledge at our fingertips.

Nuclear reactors and particle colliders are the power of the universe at our finger tips.

I could go on but you get the point.

Some other civilization that is advanced beyond us may have technology that we are centuries from being able to understand. However, what they have is still a set of machines. That is hardly a reasonable definition of god.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Simple: If aliens have been

Simple: If aliens have been helping us since the caveman days, they really suck at it. They had the technology to get here 20,000+ years ago and it took this long to develop our puny level of technology?

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Parallel
Parallel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

OK, the obvious problem here is the definition of god.

The most common definition of god that is kicking around these days is that of the guy who made the universe, including time and space. Now that has a host of problems that have been fully dealt with in too many other threads, so I am not going to bother with that here.

Basically, that god also made the aliens, so his idea of aliens=god cannot be that.

What he is saying is that aliens are so far advanced over us that they night as well be god. Let me toy with that.

Why assume that aliens are automatically more advanced than we are? If different cultures around the galaxy are at different levels of development, then I see no reason to assume that we are at the bottom of the list.

Just for shits and giggles, let's say that there are thousands of planets with intelligent life on them. Some of them may have developed past us. However, some may not yet have reached our level of development.

Now let's jump in the spaceship of the mind and abduct some dude from a stone age culture. What would he say about us?

The internet is the sum of all knowledge at our fingertips.

Nuclear reactors and particle colliders are the power of the universe at our finger tips.

I could go on but you get the point.

Some other civilization that is advanced beyond us may have technology that we are centuries from being able to understand. However, what they have is still a set of machines. That is hardly a reasonable definition of god.

Yeah, I've told him that before. But my main question is; Why are we so special?

He thinks the aliens have been helping us; first of all, why? Second, how would they get here? Third, Where are they from? Fourth, there's plenty of other interesting things in the universe besides us, and fifth, how would they survive? And his only response to infallible arguments is that I didn't read some huge ass report some skitzophrenic crackpot made. I don't want to waste my time reading nonsensical gibberish, it's the same reason I won't fully read the Bible; it's silly.

"I do not think it is necessary to believe that the same God who has given us our senses, reason, and intelligence wished us to abandon their use, giving us by some other means the information that we could gain through them." ~Galileo Galilei