FORUMS RESTRUCTURED: PLEASE VIEW THIS ENTIRE THREAD.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
FORUMS RESTRUCTURED: PLEASE VIEW THIS ENTIRE THREAD.

The forums are currently being reconstructed, a long overdue project.  Please don't be freaked out if things look odd.

Moderators if you have time, feel free to look through the general conversation forum and move introductions to the new introductions forum.  There will also be some other new forums that we can move some other posts from around the site into, including an arts forum for music, poetry, and the arts... some of the poems on the site can be moved there.  

Enjoy the changes! 

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 So, what do you folks

So, what do you folks think of how the forums are laid out now:

http://www.rationalresponders.com/forums

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like it. Seems a bit

I like it. Seems a bit quicker to sort through. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like it too, though when I

I like it too, though when I logged in this morning I hit "forums" 3 times because I thought my computer was being stupid. It's definitely easier to navigate though. Clutter is bad.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Over the next few days many

Over the next few days many posts will be moved from General Convo into more appropriate forums, please check the recent posts or click "my account" at the top then use the "track" tab to find any threads you've been posting in that you want to keep up with.

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know, to help clean

You know, to help clean things up, you could always have a "dead threads" spot, or archive if you will, for threads that haven't been touched in a year or something, so that they aren't cluttering the active areas. Just a thought, that's what we always did. Just trying to help. Eye-wink

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 I'm actually deleting some

I'm actually deleting some old threads, especially the ones that have a comment or no comments.

Please don't take offense if one of your posts is gone soon folks.  I won't delete anything of substance.  I'm talking more like someone links to a page and nobody ever responds.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
 It now forces you to

It now forces you to choose a topic when creating a forum topic.  Please choose wisely!

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Far better lay out, long

Far better lay out, long over due but job well done all the same. gj

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote: It now

Sapient wrote:

It now forces you to choose a topic when creating a forum topic.  Please choose wisely!

It didn't before? I never even noticed. Raised Brow

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Sapient

Vastet wrote:
Sapient wrote:

It didn't before? I never even noticed. Raised Brow

Yes before it just put everyone in this: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forums/rationalresponsesquad/rationalresponsesquad

Which is exactly what I didn't want.  That was actually supposed to be a container for other RRS related forums.  For now I've assimilated it into the RRS related forums, and will be sending as many posts as possible from that section to the proper sections.

Mods... feel free to help with that as well.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Looks good so far,

Looks good so far, cleaner.  Anything you do to reduce clutter on this site will be a great improvement.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
BTW dont leave a shadow

BTW guys dont leave a shadow

Brian it does look better. It also seems faster.

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Looks much better. Much much

Looks much better. Much much better.

What's the difference between News & Activism and Rational Activism?

Recently I've been linking to various blogs I've responded to. I consider this a kind of 'online activism', in the sense of actually taking time to go out and respond rationally to blogs and online-news sites. Where should I post such links/quotes? I tended to put them in News & Activism, but I'm not sure that's exactly the right place to put them.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I like it.

I like it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Sapient
User is offlineOffline
natural wrote:Recently I've

natural wrote:

Recently I've been linking to various blogs I've responded to. I consider this a kind of 'online activism', in the sense of actually taking time to go out and respond rationally to blogs and online-news sites. Where should I post such links/quotes? I tended to put them in News & Activism, but I'm not sure that's exactly the right place to put them.

The Rational Activism forum can't be viewed by anonymous users.  Same goes for Freethinking anonymous.  http://www.rationalresponders.com/forums/semiprivateforums  (can't be viewed unless logged in)

So let's say you're hoping a horde of atheists comes and joins you at a certain Christian forum, you wouldn't want that to be something easily traced back to you and would likely post it in Rational Activism.  However if you want more people to see it and aren't trying to limit the audience than news & activism works best.

One thing I've noticed is that almost nobody has ever used the "Irrational Precepts" category properly.  Maybe I'll tweak the name and description to make it more obvious, but essentially it should be a forum for anything dealing with irrational concepts.  Bad science, corrupt preachers, religious discrimination, etc.  Here are some examples of threads that I put in Irrational Precepts today that were originally in general conversation:

Fingerprints=Mark of the beast51 week 8 hours ago
by Loc

Science Can Be Totally Wrong At Any Time16
4 new
36 weeks 4 days ago
by HisWillness

While waiting at my mom's doctor's lobby I over heard this stupidity.23 weeks 23 hours ago
by Brian37

Who in the World is Charlie Check'm?578 weeks 6 days ago
by HisWillness

Irrational fears/phobia164 weeks 4 days ago
by Magus

Nuclear strike in DC!!!! ZOMnoG!!!55 weeks 2 days ago
by Cpt_pineapple

Pope says Africa under threat from "toxic spiritual garbage"...106 weeks 1 day ago
by MichaelMcF

2009 Darwin Award Nominee: James Looney86 weeks 4 days ago
by Vastet

Yet another multi-million dollar church goes up in the Bible Belt!243 years 9 weeks ago
by THESEEKERCDC

America is still religiously retarded49 weeks 2 days ago
by Waiting for Oblivion

Another note... I noticed several people (most often seeing clockcat and Ken G) create a thread, not always with a descriptive title and post nothing but a link.  Please at least post a snippet of the story you are linking to, maybe the part you found most relevant or summarizing.  

Forums that are getting tons of content from the General Conversation move currently underway are: Science, Irrational Precepts, News & Activism, and Politics.  So check those forums to get an idea of what sorts of content should be posted there.