A more important question.

outofnowheres
outofnowheres's picture
User is offlineOffline
A more important question.

Instead of "Do you believe in gods?", how about "Do you believe in souls?" because if there is a god or gods but souls don't exist, then its kinda pointless to believe in gods if there is no afterlife to possibly meet them. Right?

Idiots are Fun! No wonder every village wants one.-House

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:My argument

eXnihilO wrote:
My argument here is and will remain that the way you understand reason is not reasonable and therefore it’s not good enough evidence to hold to the position.

In your opinion, what positions, in my worldview, could I hold then? Nothing? 

It's not enough to satisfy someone like yourself, but it's sufficient for all practical purposes. 

eXnihilO wrote:
Making truth claims without disclosing that you aren’t actually certain.

Aw, come on man, I told you in my second post. Nobody on this forum is trying to hide these things (or at least, I hope not); we just don't feel the need to put a disclaimer every time we make a claim. And, even if we assume that the average atheist understands their position better than the average theist, they're really not going to explain these things very well.  

These philosophical problems seem to be of the utmost importance when we're discussing them, but it's going to make very little difference in how we act in real life, outside of specific situations that are explicitly relevant to our worldviews. I mean, I can't be 100% certain that I'm not going to spontaneously combust while I'm brushing my teeth, but, heck, I'm going to be "courageous" and brush my teeth anyways. 

eXnihilO wrote:
Brevity brought to you in part by: lack of sleep.

Good night, God bless. 

eX

Thank you. God bless you too........er, have a nice day. 

You seem like a nice guy. We'd probably be friends if we met in real life, until one day, you found out I was an atheist, and I found out you thought the Bible was infallible. Then, we'd argue for five hours without making any headway, and get so pissed at each other that we never talk to each other ever again.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:Logic is

eXnihilO wrote:
Logic is reliable because it works...

And it works because it's logical!

Oh, no no no.

It seems to be reliable because it seems to work. It seems to work because we reach true conclusions. The fact that sound logic leads to true conclusions is evidence that logic works. There's nothing circular about that. Look:

1- If a method consistently produces true conclusions, then it works.  

2- Logic consistently produces true conclusions.

3- Therefore, it works.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Logic is based on the Law of

Logic is based on the Law of Identity, that A = A, and the Law of non-contradiction, that A and (not A) are mutually exclusive, expressed as A ~= ~A

The first follows from the observation that we can identify discrete entities or objects, the second that we can resolve existence into that which is part of at least one thing, and the rest which is not included in that entity, and they do not overlap.

A reality where this was not at least apparently the case, would be an endless uniform featureless fog.

Since this is not what most of us perceive, we can go on to deduce the implications of these primary propositions, which is what constitutes Logic.

See anything circular there?

NO system of thought can be proven from within the system, and that includes whatever substitutes for logic in any world-view which denies the authority of logic and reason.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
epic

’Vastet’ wrote:

And I'd like to remind you that you are using god as the basis for logic, and for the basis of god you have only the bible.

Yes, the difference is that I have an external and objective basis for logic and you don’t. You can use that baseless logic all day long to attempt to disprove the Bible, but this would be like a man taking gasps of breath while trying to prove that oxygen doesn’t exist. Yes, I do have a basis for logic, namely the triune God of the Bible, the very same God you admit as existing every time you use logic to argue against Him.

Anonymouse wrote:

Martyrs have their own magazine ?

Notice, Voice of the Martyrs… we think it’s important when men, women and children die for their belief in Jesus. You don’t hear much about it, but more Christians are killed for their faith more often than any other religion.

@ Butterbattle

I think we would remain friends… and I think that when God gave you a contrite heart we would meet up for coffee and love life together.

As for our current discussion, I want to quote myself from an earlier post that perhaps you missed. (see end)

@BobSpence1

I would like to refer you to my previous post as well, perhaps you missed it? It answers your point clearly I think:

eXnihilO wrote:

You are using the laws of logic to demonstrate the accuracy and usefulness of logic, a perfect circle that does not give logic any external validity at all.

I'm saying that logic is verifiable externally and validated in the existence of the God who created the laws to begin with.

The Christian position affords them the use of logic in a meaningful way and the non-theist can't even validate it without committing a logical fallacy, begging the question, ironically.

All the best,

Speaking Truth in love,

"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ..." - Paul to the Corinthians
------
Christian | Amaterialist | Supernaturalist | Anti-Crypto-Theist
------
Facts do not speak for themselves.

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:Notice,Voice

eXnihilO wrote:
Notice,

Voice of

the Martyrs… we think it’s important when men, women and children die for their belief in Jesus.

Are you talking about people who were murdered ? So people who were murdered for other reasons, not so important ? Or just as important but in another way ?

eXnihilO wrote:
You don’t hear much about it,

Oh, you'd be surprised.

eXnihilO wrote:
but more Christians are killed for their faith more often than any other religion.

That's what my muslim friends say about islam. You guys having a contest ?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:Vastet

eXnihilO wrote:

Vastet wrote:

The best you can do is claim that I'm being circular, failing as they all do to realise you're projecting your own fallacy on me. The bible is right because the bible says so. LOL. Try again.

I'd like to remind your that we are talking about the validation of logic here, not the existence of God. Through this examination of logic, the Christian God is actually proven by necessity however.

You are using the laws of logic to demonstrate the accuracy and usefulness of logic, a perfect circle that does not give logic any external validity at all.

I'm saying that logic is verifiable externally and validated in the existence of the God who created the laws to begin with.

The Christian position affords them the use of logic in a meaningful way and the non-theist can't eve validate it without comiting a logical fallacy, ironically.

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Where did this occur ?

I can't remember the details, but it was in the Voice of the Martyrs magazine three months back.

I have posted this elsewhere, but:

Logic is based on the Law of Identity, that A = A, and the Law of non-contradiction, that A and (not A) are mutually exclusive, expressed as A ~= ~A

The first follows from the observation that we can identify discrete entities or objects, the second that we can resolve existence into that which is part of at least one thing, and the rest which is not included in that entity, and they do not overlap.

A reality where this was not at least apparently the case, would be an endless uniform featureless fog.

Since this is not what most of us perceive, we can go on to deduce the implications of these primary propositions, which is what constitutesLogic.

NO system of thought can be proven from within the system, and that includes whatever substitutes for logic in any world-view which denies the authority of logic and reason.

'God' is utterly irrelevant to any of this.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
It's important when talking about this stuff

outofnowheres wrote:

Instead of "Do you believe in gods?", how about "Do you believe in souls?" because if there is a god or gods but souls don't exist, then its kinda pointless to believe in gods if there is no afterlife to possibly meet them. Right?

To bear in mind that inside our heads we have a huge organ we barely understand that consumes 25 per cent of all the calories we eat. Our neurological science is still at the toddling stage.

To tack things like art appreciation to an invisible soul is right out there from my perspective.

Like the quashing of the flat earth theory with the development of astronomy, the nature of self will one day be explained by the chemical and physiological processes that take place in the human brain.

Of course, between now and then, there will be a period in which the godly can make outrageous and unprovable statements about things that don't obviously exist in order to bolster their view of the world.

I suggest they make hay while the sun shines.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I personally prefer the quiet strength of

eXnihilO wrote:

@ Butterbattle

I think we would remain friends… and I think that when God gave you a contrite heart we would meet up for coffee and love life together.

Butter's honest mind to the pompous vagaries of your 'contrite heart'.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
epic

Conor,

Thank you again for your reply. I promise not to capitalize on your past faith experience. I will admit that I believe the Roman Catholic Church as well as the LDS church preach false gospels and the Jesus preached by the LDS church is not the Jesus I believe in.  

Our comments have grown to such a length that it’s actually not convenient to quote you… please refer back to your post!

1.) We need to be honest here. You approach everything that you try to understand from your presupposition that God does not exist. This drastically shapes the way you manage and interpret evidence. I approach all things from the presupposition that the triune God of scripture exists and is the basis of all discernable truth. This also drastically shapes the way I manage and interpret evidence.

That being said, my appeal to scripture to define my terms is as valid as your appeal to logic and reason as we are both appealing to our ultimate authorities. The Bible defines the soul as existing in a way that transcends space and time and flows over into the realm of the supernatural. You can reject that fact, but my position is defended sufficiently.

2.) The LDS church teaches that the soul existed before creation, that is the difference. Part of the understanding of God is that he exists outside of this universe but at the same time transcends it all. We, being made in His image share in this attribute to some degree. The soul and mind are similar. They exist supernaturally yet we can see physical manifestations of them as well by means of exercising logic, having a conscience, et al.

3.) Your point is moot because you are failing to acknowledge your own presupposition that is, that God doesn’t exist and the Bible isn’t the ultimate standard of truth. As stated before, be both have presuppositions and must acknowledge that it molds our responses in all that we do. Again, my point is defended adequately.

4.) Yes, the Bible. Your presupposition causes you to reject this defense and mine caused me to accept it wholly and provide defensible responses.

5.) You would have to add the context of the next six words… ‘except by the grace of God.’ I rely on the unfailing grace of God to sustain my handling of the word, which is the only way I can divide it rightly, as it were. This seems rather peripheral coming from a non-believer, but it’s understandable if you had any LDS training, did you? They are trained to defer when faced with something they cannot understand.

6.) After sinning, Adam and Eve covered themselves in shame in an attempt to fix their own problem. After they were kicked out of Eden God killed an animal and covered their shame with the skin of the animals. This is an amazing foreshadowing of God’s system of atonement and loving promise to save us from our shame despite us not being able to do it ourselves. I view this as breathtakingly intentional and glorious as it shines even more credit on the atoning work of Jesus Christ… the Bible is simply amazing.

7.) If I need to prove my presuppositions then you must also and just because mine does not accord with yours is not reason enough to force me to prove it lest I take the same exact position and we go about in circles. I am acknowledging your presupposition even though it is wrong yet not forcing you to prove it. I would like the same respect.  You are free do reject the Bible as the word of Almighty God, but I am not asking for your permission to use it as such, and will not close it for any length of time.

8.) Conor, the irony here is that you are still constructing your worldview on the basis of many ‘faith statements.’ You must have faith to believe that our universe is here by sheer random chance. You must have faith that non-living matter turned into living matter, you must have faith that God doesn’t exist because we both know it’s unprovable. God made it impossible for you to disprove His existence with logic, imagine that.

As for James 2:24, this verse is rampantly misused by Roman Catholics and Mormons alike so it comes as no surprise that you are accepting their theological errors.

What are the first two words of the passage? ‘You see’ Who sees? James is talking to believers. You (Christians) see (with your eyes) ‘that a person is justified by works and not by faith alone.’ This is speaking to our ability as Christians to see that other Christians are saved, hence the usage of ‘You see’ that is a literal ‘see’ meaning with your own eyes.

We Christians see that others are justified (saved) based on what we observe them doing.

Now that I have explained it by only using that one verse (not that I am forced to as a Christian) it fits perfectly with the whole of scripture as Christ himself tells us that ‘you shall know them by their fruits’ and Paul explains (before James even writes his epistle) what the fruits of the Spirit are so that we can ‘see’ that a person is justified. Simply saying you have faith in Jesus demonstrates nothing to your brethren that you have actually been saved. This is the pitfall of the mainstream Baptist denominations.

Predicting your bringing up of Paul’s telling us we are justified by faith alone, please understand that he is referencing the justification of Abraham in the context of being justified before God. (Not men as in James 2) It’s far from an acrobatic reconciling of the text, it simply involves understanding context and actually reading the passages.

All the best,

Speaking Truth in love,

"We destroy arguments and every lofty opinion raised against the knowledge of God, and take every thought captive to obey Christ..." - Paul to the Corinthians
------
------

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I think point 6 is the one

eXnihilO wrote:

6.) After sinning, Adam and Eve covered themselves in shame in an attempt to fix their own problem. After they were kicked out of Eden God killed an animal and covered their shame with the skin of the animals. This is an amazing foreshadowing of God’s system of atonement and loving promise to save us from our shame despite us not being able to do it ourselves. I view this as breathtakingly intentional and glorious as it shines even more credit on the atoning work of Jesus Christ… the Bible is simply amazing.

That should stand as the yardstick for the quality of exni's posts. It's such a beautiful summation of christian thinking...Read it, oh atheists, and weep...

bpwaddell
bpwaddell's picture
User is offlineOffline
The LDS Church teaches...

I live in Utah and what the LDS church teaches is prejudice and discrimination  while smiling at those they persecute ...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Yes, the difference is that

"Yes, the difference is that I have an external and objective basis for logic and you don’t."

No, actually, you don't. I do. The essence of my argument: one object plus one object equals two objects. This is true because it is demonstrated to be true, and has never been proved false. The essence of your argument: one object plus one object equals two objects. This is true because the bible says so, because the bible says so. Perfectly circular.

"You can use that baseless logic all day long to attempt to disprove the Bible, but this would be like a man taking gasps of breath while trying to prove that oxygen doesn’t exist."

Clearly you are suffering from many delusions.

"Yes, I do have a basis for logic, namely the triune God of the Bible, the very same God you admit as existing every time you use logic to argue against Him."

Back to your circle you go. Let me know when you run into yourself for the next segment of getting your ass handed to you. Smiling

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

@BobSpence1

“NO system of thought can be proven from within the system, and that includes whatever substitutes for logic in any world-view which denies the authority of logic and reason.

'God' is utterly irrelevant to any of this.”

You continue to affirm my point… If you cannot validate logic with logic than you admit that your theory of knowledge has a gaping hole in it. I would say that logic can actually be proven based upon the laws of logic. It can be circularly validated albeit fallaciously… The problem with your statement is that you have no external standard to appeal to while validating logic and the Christian does.

I think a better way to say this is that every world view is based on an initial axiom.

Your axiom is this: logic works.

My axiom is this: The Bible is the infallible Word of God.

They are both reasoned out circularly and validated. The reason that Christianity takes the hill is that can justify our use of logic and externally validate it with God’s eternal character and appeal to the fact that we are made in His image.

Hope that helps.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

@Vastet

See my last post...

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I didn't see anything that

I didn't see anything that refutes or even questions my last post. Until you can prove the existence of god without referring to a book written by man in the dark ages, you're just travelling in circles.

Edit:

I am obliged to ask you if you view the bible literally. All of it. I'll be better able to understand your position one way or the other.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I didn't see

Vastet wrote:
I didn't see anything that refutes or even questions my last post. Until you can prove the existence of god without referring to a book written by man in the dark ages, you're just travelling in circles. Edit: I am obliged to ask you if you view the bible literally. All of it. I'll be better able to understand your position one way or the other.

Apparently you didn't understand what I wrote, it's a full on refutation of your theory of knowledge.

Until you can independently verify the use and validity of logic to interpret reality don't talk to me about a 'book from the dark ages' (It quite obviously predates the dark ages by the way.)

The Bible is written in many different literary types, not all are to be taken literally such as the wings of God, clearly this is an anthropomorphism.

Perhaps you can clarify what you mean?

I believe in a global flood and that a man was dead for three days and then walked out of a tomb if that helps you. I also believe a man lived inside the stomach of a whale for three days.

Take care.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:I believe in

eXnihilO wrote:

I believe in a global flood and that a man was dead for three days and then walked out of a tomb if that helps you. I also believe a man lived inside the stomach of a whale for three days.

Well... i think we can all stop talking to you then...

What Would Kharn Do?

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Until you can

Vastet wrote:
Until you can prove the existence of god without referring to a book written by man in the dark ages, you're just travelling in circles.

That's too generous of you. The books were written pre-dark ages, which makes them even less relevant.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
KSMB wrote:Vastet

KSMB wrote:

Vastet wrote:
Until you can prove the existence of god without referring to a book written by man in the dark ages, you're just travelling in circles.

That's too generous of you. The books were written pre-dark ages, which makes them even less relevant.

You have a point. I keep referring to the dark ages because that's when they were first mass produced.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

eXnihilO wrote:

Well... i think we can all stop talking to you then...

Lol Evil

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:I believe in

eXnihilO wrote:

Hi there Exnihilo.

I've read through your back and forth discussions and understand you to take a literal interpretation of the Bible. Interesting considering the major contradictions between observed reality and Biblical claims. I personally hold the Bible to be a book of myths and legends more or less the same as any other ancient mythical belief propagated to explain what was considered unknowable. The Judeo-Christian god seems to have his origins in the Canaanite pantheon. But, truly this discussion would serve no point with you, as you have the proof God exists don't you? It is within your own mind that such proof exists right? You exist, therefore God made you and all the universe, right?  It has nothing at all to do with over-stimulation of your fantasy centers does it?

First off, is there a specific denomination of Christianity to which you adhere or do you subscribe to your own interpretations?

Second, what version of the Bible do you consider to be the most accurate reflection of God's word?

I have read more than enough of your posts to understand that you base your faith on a basis that can't be proved. It is futile in that regard to attempt to confront you with the possibilities that your entire operating system is based on errors and misconceptions. So what is it that you are looking to accomplish with your visit to the RRS? Is it your hope that you can reach some of us with the good news that Jesus died for you and me etc. Many of us are ex-Christians with much knowledge of the subject  In my case, I went to parochial schools and even have a Grad degree from a Jesuit University. Obviously I was not a "true believer" or I never truly accepted Jesus or I'd still be deceived and be like you.

If you came here to gain understanding of atheists and learn, then that's another story. If this is a missionary mission on your part it is doomed to failure.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

Hi,

Your comments against that Bible are irrelevant, yes.

The Bible is my highest authority, I'm not creedal.

If you would like a box to put me in, I'll oblige:

Reformed Baptist/Evangelical Calvinist 

The best translation would be the ESV or NASB, preferring the ESV.

A Jesuit meets a Protestant... funny, that's where the Jesuits came from.

And you are right, you were never a Christian to begin with, there is no such thing as an ex Christian.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
So, uh... coming out of left

So, uh... coming out of left field here...

Any particular reason behind choosing a roman legion symbol as an avatar Nihilo?

I ask, solely out of boredom... no real agenda, i just feel that the corrolation between people and the avatars they choose... is interesting

What Would Kharn Do?

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO

eXnihilO wrote:

@BobSpence1

“NO system of thought can be proven from within the system, and that includes whatever substitutes for logic in any world-view which denies the authority of logic and reason.

'God' is utterly irrelevant to any of this.”

You continue to affirm my point… If you cannot validate logic with logic than you admit that your theory of knowledge has a gaping hole in it. I would say that logic can actually be proven based upon the laws of logic. It can be circularly validated albeit fallaciously… The problem with your statement is that you have no external standard to appeal to while validating logic and the Christian does.

I think a better way to say this is that every world view is based on an initial axiom.

Your axiom is this: logic works.

My axiom is this: The Bible is the infallible Word of God.

They are both reasoned out circularly and validated. The reason that Christianity takes the hill is that can justify our use of logic and externally validate it with God’s eternal character and appeal to the fact that we are made in His image.

Hope that helps.

Logic is not defined in a circular manner. See my response to you in another thread.

Yes we do have to start with some assumptions, but we should be prepared to adjust them when we encounter significant problems.

Taking the Bible as the "infallible Word of God" is a legitimate starting assumption, but clinging to it in the face of the massive contradictions both internal and with extremely well-established understanding of the nature of 'Life, the Universe, and Everything' is extremely stubborn/stupid. Genesis alone disproves your assumption.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:Hi,Your

eXnihilO wrote:

Hi,

Your comments against that Bible are irrelevant, yes.

The Bible is my highest authority, I'm not creedal.

If you would like a box to put me in, I'll oblige:

Reformed Baptist/Evangelical Calvinist 

The best translation would be the ESV or NASB, preferring the ESV.

A Jesuit meets a Protestant... funny, that's where the Jesuits came from.

And you are right, you were never a Christian to begin with, there is no such thing as an ex Christian.

I figured as much from your comments that it matters little what we would have to say regarding the Bible's origins or possible evolution from myths and legends. Since you have taken that position, we are opposites in that any argument made from the Bible is the use of a book of myths and fantasy from the land of never was and make believe. You are quite free to base your life on these delusions if you so choose. Quotes and references from it by you have no basis in the harsh light of reality and are considered to be not only irrelevant but dwelling on childish fantasy in the land and dimension of never was and make belief.

Just checking to understand what primary doctrine that you used to form your religious belief. Thanks as it helps in understanding your position.

I personally like the Hebrew JPS and the Douay-Rheims versions and use the KJV only to argue with believers that think it is the only real word of God and it came forth from him at the time of King James.

And you are incorrect as far as the Roman Catholic Church is concerned they consider me to be a relapsed Catholic heretic not an ex-Christian. Originally I was Lutheran, but when I converted they more or less disowned me. Clearly, I did not have the ability to suppress my questioning of the irrational precepts of god belief and allow internal delusion as an operating system as it takes an ability to deceive ones own self which is self destructive and needlessly insensitive to ones own well being.

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

It's a Christogram...

It was adopted by the legions after Constantines coversion, thus is predated those events as a solely Christian symbol...

Kinda like the 'Jesus fish'

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
doop

This is a duplicate so please only respond to one...

Bob,

The Word of God is axiomatic in everything it states including the very statement that establishes it as the Word of God. God is truth; therefore all of His explanations of reality are axioms. Being the Word of God the Bible carries with it supreme authority...

This is circular, but not false.

Answer me this:

Can logic be independently verified?

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:

"It's a Christogram...

It was adopted by the legions after Constantines coversion,

thus is predated those events as a solely Christian symbol..."

Wow.  I thought that Baptists would never adopt something for themselves that was so...Catholic.  The same could be said for your screen name: it is the Latin phrase "ex nihilo," which (it has already been pointed out) means "from nothing."  (I don't suppose you have a friend on his/her way here who would adopt "Fiat lux." as a screen name?)

Anyway...I'm reviewing our earlier posts for a more complete response to you, later.  For now, I want to ask: how do you define the term "presupposition?"  From your posts, it looks as if you use the word to mean something like "an unproven, and unproveable, axiom which is fundamental to a system of thought."  That said, I don't want to try to speak for you.  So...how do you define "presupposition?"

Conor

"Faith does not fear reason."--Pope Pius XII

"But it should!"--Me

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hey Conor

Conor Wilson wrote:

Wow.  I thought that Baptists would never adopt something for themselves that was so...Catholic.  The same could be said for your screen name: it is the Latin phrase "ex nihilo," which (it has already been pointed out) means "from nothing."  (I don't suppose you have a friend on his/her way here who would adopt "Fiat lux." as a screen name?)

Anyway...I'm reviewing our earlier posts for a more complete response to you, later.  For now, I want to ask: how do you define the term "presupposition?"  From your posts, it looks as if you use the word to mean something like "an unproven, and unproveable, axiom which is fundamental to a system of thought."  That said, I don't want to try to speak for you.  So...how do you define "presupposition?"

Conor

It's merely my opinion, but two Greek letters arranged into a Christogram is hardly of Catholic origin.

As for a presupposition:

'a presupposition is a proposition which must be true in order for the a statement to make sense'

Two basic examples from the atheist world view:

"God does not exist"

"The supernatural/spiritual does not exist"

One of mine would be: God exists.

I look forward to hearing back from you.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Three corrections on

Three corrections on that.
1: There is no such thing as an "atheist world view". There are atheists that follow the words of the mythical jesus, atheists who follow socialism, atheists who follow capitalism, atheists who follow nihlism, and there are even atheists who are just mad at theists and don't have any rational or logical reason to reject them. Once upon a time, they were the majority of atheists. This is probably why the most faithful still view atheists as hating their god, even though it is ridiculously hard to be angry at, let alone hate, something that has never been encountered. Frankly, I've never felt hate at all. Anger, disappointment, pity, yes. But never hate.
2: It is not that gods DON'T exist, it is that they PROBABLY don't exist, and that positing their existence does not add to our understanding of existence. Though specific gods who have been defined have been proven impossible.
3: The terms spiritual and supernatural are red herrings that describe nothing, quite literally.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
ahem

Vastet wrote:
Three corrections on that. 1: There is no such thing as an "atheist world view". There are atheists that follow the words of the mythical jesus, atheists who follow socialism, atheists who follow capitalism, atheists who follow nihlism, and there are even atheists who are just mad at theists and don't have any rational or logical reason to reject them. Once upon a time, they were the majority of atheists. This is probably why the most faithful still view atheists as hating their god, even though it is ridiculously hard to be angry at, let alone hate, something that has never been encountered. Frankly, I've never felt hate at all. Anger, disappointment, pity, yes. But never hate. 2: It is not that gods DON'T exist, it is that they PROBABLY don't exist, and that positing their existence does not add to our understanding of existence. Though specific gods who have been defined have been proven impossible. 3: The terms spiritual and supernatural are red herrings that describe nothing, quite literally.

Do you care to substantiate these claims at all?

Firstly, there are no atheists period. The Bible clearly affirms this. Your own statement defends this with your admitting that you can't know for certain.

God, namely the triune God of the Bible answers all the meaningful questions of life.

The terms spiritual and supernatural describe much... If you start with the position that neither exist then not only have you willingly limited your own scope of wisdom (narrow-minded), but you have also set yourself up to examine any evidence with a significant bias.

For instance...

You hear of a man who was dead long enough that he should have sustained brain damage, but woke up on the way to the morgue.

Your presupposition forces to say 'Well since it certainly couldn't have been God, it must have been scientific chance of some sort!'

By the grace of God, I simply cannot be that narrow.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:Firstly,

eXnihilO wrote:
Firstly, there are no atheists period. The Bible clearly affirms this. Your own statement defends this with your admitting that you can't know for certain.

We're not defining these terms the same way.

If one has to be absolutely certain that a God doesn't exist to be an atheist, then, by your definition, almost all of the people on this forum would be agnostics.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
ok

butterbattle wrote:

We're not defining these terms the same way.

If one has to be absolutely certain that a God doesn't exist to be an atheist, then, by your definition, almost all of the people on this forum would be agnostics.

I was under the impression that the more intellectually honest folks go ahead and admit that they can't really be atheists...

Go ahead and straighten me out... what am I missing/why do we define these terms differently?

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
Personally, I would say that

Personally, I would say that I am an agnostic atheist. Sometimes this is called weak atheism. I stress that this is toward the generic god concept. I do not believe in any gods, so I'm an atheist. That's what it means, absence of belief in gods. I also do not know such things really exist or not, so I'm an agnostic. Gnosticism and the lack thereof addresses knowledge, not belief. Thus, agnostic atheist.  In exactly the same way, I am an agnostic a-darkmatterunicornist, because I don't believe in darkmatter unicorns, but I don't know for sure.

Now, that was for the generic god concept. For specific gods that are defined in incoherent and/or contradictory ways, those we can know they don't exist, just as we know married bachelors don't exist. I call that gnostic atheist, or strong atheist.

So in summary, it depends on the definition of the deity. What does "god" really mean? Now, there may very well be atheists that disagree with how I use the terms above. That is to be expected, as there is no dogma or anything like that that atheists have to agree on. It's simply a label applied to people who don't believe in gods, for whatever reason. You may disagree with how the terms are used here, but I at least explained what I mean by them. That should keep the whole agnostic/atheist thing from descending into semantics.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

I appreciate your explaination.

It seems as if you reject one more God then I do, the problem is that you are rejecting the only true God.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Do you care to substantiate

"Do you care to substantiate these claims at all?"

These forums are a perfect example of #1. The only thing that every atheist on the site has in common is a lack of belief in god. That is insufficient to create a world view.
Claim #2 is self explanatory. Science coupled with logic have disproven every god they've come across. Their first victims were zues and mars, but yahweh and allah joined the list shortly thereafter. The scientologists and mormons have it even worse, as their religions were disproved before they even fully existed.
Claim #3 was previously backed up either in this thread or another. You rejected it, but did not justify your rejection (the bible is not evidence), so the claim stands untarnished.

"Firstly, there are no atheists period. The Bible clearly affirms this. Your own statement defends this with your admitting that you can't know for certain."

Firstly, yes, there are. I am one. Your assertion that I'm not is equal to my assertion that you are not a theist.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I don't have to know for

I don't have to know for certain that NO god exists to lack belief in one. There might be a unicorn wandering the forests of Alberta, but until I see it I won't believe it.
Second, your own response destroys your argument. If atheism didn't exist, then it could not have a world view. Either way, I'm right.

"God, namely the triune God of the Bible answers all the meaningful questions of life."

I do that. More evidence that I am the only god of me.
I covered supernatural already, and it directly applies to your definition of spiritual.

"You hear of a man who was dead long enough that he should have sustained brain damage, but woke up on the way to the morgue."

After three days? Then I'd think something was up. Hell, even one day would suffice. I don't have any evidence to suggest it happened.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Your presupposition forces

"Your presupposition forces to say 'Well since it certainly couldn't have been God, it must have been scientific chance of some sort!'By the grace of God, I simply cannot be that narrow."

I have never once thought that, or anything similar to that, in my entire life. If I see something I don't understand, then I try to understand it. If I fail, which rarely (if ever) happens, then I consider it beyond my ability to comprehend without further information. I don't feel the need to make up a god to explain it. I can't be that narrow minded.

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:Firstly,

eXnihilO wrote:

God, namely the triune God of the Bible answers all the meaningful questions of life.

The Bible can affirm the Moon is made of green cheese and you'd defend it wouldn't you.  It indicated the world was set on pillars and for 1500 years the Church used the Bible to defend a flat Earth. I know, it was the RCC right? However, until Luther the Church other than the Eastern Orthodox was it.

The words in the Bible are words of men, not of a god. It is  filled with ignorance, errors and misconception. That you see nothing but God in it says all that needs to be said about being closed minded. You have shut out observed reality and knowledge.

My position is that what I was taught as a Christian isn't true and can't be true. What is truth, not what I was taught. Yahweh that became your True god is no more than a residual from the ages of superstition and ignorance. That you think a man lived in the belly of a whale and other such stuff was real says all that needs to be said about narrow minded thinking.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

pauljohntheskeptic wrote:

The Bible can affirm the Moon is made of green cheese and you'd defend it wouldn't you. 

The words in the Bible are words of men, not of a god. It is  filled with ignorance, errors and misconception. That you see nothing but God in it says all that needs to be said about being closed minded. You have shut out observed reality and knowledge.

My position is that what I was taught as a Christian isn't true and can't be true. What is truth, not what I was taught. Yahweh that became your True god is no more than a residual from the ages of superstition and ignorance. That you think a man lived in the belly of a whale and other such stuff was real says all that needs to be said about narrow minded thinking.

If the Bible affirms it, it is an axiom.

You are very opinionated.

I am not asking for your permission here, I'm telling you what is true

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

Double posted... oops

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO

eXnihilO wrote:

The Bible can affirm the Moon is made of green cheese and you'd defend it wouldn't you. 

If the Bible affirms it, it is an axiom.

You are very opinionated.

I am not asking for your permission here, I'm telling you what is true

You are not telling me what is true, you are telling me what you believe, not the same. I have no problem with you expressing yourself in whatever way you'd like. I have relatives including my sister that are similar to you and we get along just fine. One of my ex-girlfriends stopped seeing me because she saw how adamant I was. Her choice not mine. Several years later she realized she erred and we are friends again but not in the same way, as we both moved on. I have friends that are involved in the ministry. I have a niece that is a missionary. I have a friend that is a well known Christian singer. We always have interesting conversations.

Yes I'm opinionated, thanks to religious indoctrination and years of study. And you aren't? There is little you can say that I have not heard before. Yes, I know I don't have the spirit of god within me and don't let in Jesus to direct my life. Kinda of hard for imaginary friends to do anything.  Every post you cite the Bible as truth and the word of God, yet you do so from belief and in contradiction to observed reality.

I realize that you won't change your viewpoint unless something triggers a change. I'd settle for tolerance and non-interference from believers, something that still has a long way to go. Many of us on this forum understand your position and beliefs because we were once there ourselves. The claim believers make against us is always the same, you really weren't a Christian. My response is you have no idea what we actually thought and felt. Once you see how belief in gods is not realistic, especially the Jewish and Christian version, there is no accepting the close minded arguments made by believers. You somehow cannot see that you believe in a mythical entity, understandable, I was once like you too.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline
pauljohntheskeptic wrote:We

We always have interesting conversations.

Kinda of hard for imaginary friends to do anything. 

Many of us on this forum understand your position and beliefs because we were once there ourselves. The claim believers make against us is always the same, you really weren't a Christian. My response is you have no idea what we actually thought and felt.

If your many interesting conversations include you talking about Jesus as an imaginary friend then I doubt you respect the people you're talking to, despite calling them friends. It's obvious that you have no respect for me, and that's OK.

Next, I have the vantage point of coming from atheism myself and have many people that will testify to that. I ruined the faith of many people before the Lord Jesus called me out of darkness. I did what you are trying to do...

It's not my judgment that makes you a liar; it's the Word of God. It says that when people calling themselves Christians walk away from the faith their leaving is evidence that they never really knew Christ, which seems to be the case with you.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO

eXnihilO wrote:

We always have interesting conversations.

Kinda of hard for imaginary friends to do anything. 

Many of us on this forum understand your position and beliefs because we were once there ourselves. The claim believers make against us is always the same, you really weren't a Christian. My response is you have no idea what we actually thought and felt.

If your many interesting conversations include you talking about Jesus as an imaginary friend then I doubt you respect the people you're talking to, despite calling them friends. It's obvious that you have no respect for me, and that's OK.

First off, I'm not the one that starts a discussion on religion, usually they do. The days of being a pacifist and taking smears from believers are over. I spent years in religious schools and know the holy books  better than most Christians.. When a believer starts in, no more do I go with a subservient position. If I know the subject is an irritant to them, I won't discuss it with them.

As to respecting you, other than calling out your belief as based in the land of never was and impossible in reality I have not attacked you as a person. Making a comment such as I did RE: the Moon and green cheese was to indicate how detached from observed reality a belief can be. Yes, it's exaggeration but hardly disrespect. I most certainly disrespect your beliefs, that's for sure. But you, not really, I don't know enough about you to disrespect you, unless of course you are a Steeler's or Patriot's Fan then you would be slime.

eXnihilO wrote:

Next, I have the vantage point of coming from atheism myself and have many people that will testify to that. I ruined the faith of many people before the Lord Jesus called me out of darkness. I did what you are trying to do...

I have the vantage point of 9 years of parochial schools, a mother that was a Lutheran school teacher, service in the church and a grad degree from a Jesuit University. I'm not going door to door trying to convert anyone to my position. You came here to an atheist forum, I didn't go to a Christian web site. The people who ring my door and try to bring me the Good News usually never find out I'm an atheist unless they become obnoxious about it. I usually just tell them I'm Catholic, I don't bother with the relapsed Catholic heretic comment. Mormons I usually just call heretics and tell them the Pope doesn't consider them to be Christian, usually they never come back, which is the goal, end ringing my doorbell.

eXnihilO wrote:

It's not my judgment that makes you a liar; it's the Word of God. It says that when people calling themselves Christians walk away from the faith their leaving is evidence that they never really knew Christ, which seems to be the case with you.

I told you you would say this. To quote Roxy the Grim Reaper from Dead Like Me, "You don't know me".

Just what makes me a liar? Explaining reality should be given the utmost consideration over subjective delusional beliefs based on ancient writing by unknowing people. The truth shall set you free.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

"The days of being a pacifist and taking smears from believers are over."

The motivation of a believer should never be motivated by making smears. You certainly seem resolved in your campaign against religion, which is sad because for each nugget of truth you dismiss you dig a deeper pit for yourself with God.

I don't watch much football, but I will claim the Packers for what it's worth...

I love when lost sheep come knocking, it makes my job easier!

"You came here to an atheist forum, I didn't go to a Christian web site."

And yet you chose to run to the defense of atheism... We both care about our positon being defended.

"Just what makes me a liar?"

Well if you want to say you are a former Christian the Bible does.

If you want to say you don't believe in God, the Bible does.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
You are completely missing JohnPaul's point

He's not defending the atheist position - atheism and christianity are totally dissimilar. What he is doing is asking for rational, reproducible proof outside the bible, that supports your vast contentions about the supposed existence of god and all the bible's mythology.

Now eXni, you exhibit signs of inherent victimhood and a keenness to be seen as being under attack and yet tolerating it all for the sake of jesus. But the fact is, no one here believes you deserve to die for your beliefs, no one believes you are evil and worthless. The only person peddling that thinking on this thread is you. Your efforts to side step your responsibility for endorsing the threat-based nature of your doctrine makes me question your core values. Do you believe in murder and torture, eXni? Do you condone a person tormenting endlessly another person, just to prove how big and important he is?

You can do one of 2 things here. You can join me in saying you abhor violence in all its forms and you can say it is never right for a person in a position of power to victimise another, to torment another. Or you can admit, for the first time in your life, that your god is a violent bully, who uses threats to get his own way and who says to his creation - oh go ahead and make a free choice while holding a whip behind his back.

So, eXni. Which one is the violent thug? Is it you, or is it your god?

pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote:"The days of

eXnihilO wrote:

"The days of being a pacifist and taking smears from believers are over."

The motivation of a believer should never be motivated by making smears. You certainly seem resolved in your campaign against religion, which is sad because for each nugget of truth you dismiss you dig a deeper pit for yourself with God.

And yet our airwaves are filled with televangelists that do so. Even cable news has taken to smearing non-believers. And especially the hate emulating from supposed believers against gays and abortion clinics. I don't know your position on gays or abortion so I can't say you are part. But Christians are actively involved in trying to force their values upon others especially in these areas. You can see their hate filled signs as they walk picket lines against both. Why they care if 2 gays get married is beyond me. According to most Christian understanding, if the pagans and infidels are doing something that is against the teaching of God, you shouldn't do it but there was certainly no directive to actively attack it. When Jesus sent his disciples out and the 70 others, they were told to teach the word but to walk away from those that rejected it. What part of this indicates you should force your values upon others. But interfering and forcing your view on them with violence such as Ambrose and Augustine preached certainly is going beyond the scope of the directives of the Apostles and Jesus. I simply don't get it. It's what drove the Crusades and the Inquisition both. Well not completely, there was greed in there as well.

eXnihilO wrote:

I don't watch much football, but I will claim the Packers for what it's worth...

See, no problem.

eXnihilO wrote:

I love when lost sheep come knocking, it makes my job easier!

"You came here to an atheist forum, I didn't go to a Christian web site."

And yet you chose to run to the defense of atheism... We both care about our positon being defended.

If the world is not to fall into another 'Dark Ages" or become as the world of "Omega Man" (1969 Charlton Heston Movie - updated as "I am Legend", but significantly different) than a defense of rational thought and observed reality must occur.

Yes, I care about  all the people in the world who are enslaved by belief in untrue religious concepts. An incredible amount of resources are wasted in its promotion. People's lives are forfeited to please a God that is non-existent instead of developing a better life for themselves and their children. Such a waste of humanity.

I have no issue with the Jesus portrayed in the Gospels who tells people to care for one another, clothe them, feed them and help them. Christians in general do not do this as was directed. Consider, there would be no homeless or starving people in the US if simply the Catholic church put these people up in all their expensive facilities. They don't. The mega churches could do the same. They don't. Even smaller churches could house and feed a few. They don't. There were no strings in the directive from Jesus in the Gospels, why for example were there strings for helping Tsunami victims by Liberty University and Falwell's people.

And as I said, I don't know your view on this, so it only applies to the whole, not necessarily an individual or even a single church.

eXnihilO wrote:

If you want to say you don't believe in God, the Bible does.

No, I'm a heretic and a godless heathen and would have burned for it during the Inquisition, though I advocate no religious doctrine.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
eXnihilO wrote: "Just what

eXnihilO wrote:

So from your theological pov it is not possible for a Christian to commit the sin of apostasy ?  Interesting.  Of course I'm sure you know that there is wide disagreement among Christians as to whether your interpretation is correct.

I referenced a couple of New Testament verses in which some translations specifically employed the word "apostasy".  Even in verses that use the term "falling away" the implied meaning is fairly clear. 

2 Thessalonians 2:3       http://bible.cc/2_thessalonians/2-3.htm

1 Timothy 4:1                  http://bible.cc/1_timothy/4-1.htm

I'm sure that you can defend your pov.  You're very good at it, actually.  Yet there are apologists from various denominations who offer an equally eloquent defense of their own view.  Every Christian denomination that exists today has it's apologists and every different interpretation is presented as "biblical"   

My problem is how does an outside observer determine who has the correct interpretation ?  Why should I believe you and not them.

eXnihilO
Theist
eXnihilO's picture
User is offlineOffline

@Atheistextremist

“Do you believe in murder and torture, eXni?”

Of course, it’s documented as happening all over the place. Do I condone it for my own purposes or gain or am I permitted to take vengeance into my own hands? No. Can God murder? No. Murder implies innocence, no man is innocent in the eyes of God who does not have the covering of the Lord Jesus…

Do you condone a person tormenting endlessly another person, just to prove how big and important he is?

Of course not, and this is not the purpose that people are endlessly tormented. Hell is the due justice for a person who commits a sin. Sin is a transgression of an infinite being, God. The just punishment in turn is eternal punishment that does not end.

Neither.

Speaking Truth in love,

------
------

Atheistextremist
atheist
User is offlineOffline
How about looking at it like this eXni

eXnihilO wrote:

@Atheistextremist

“Do you believe in murder and torture, eXni?”

Of course, it’s documented as happening all over the place. Do I condone it for my own purposes or gain or am I permitted to take vengeance into my own hands? No. Can God murder? No. Murder implies innocence, no man is innocent in the eyes of God who does not have the covering of the Lord Jesus…

Do you condone a person tormenting endlessly another person, just to prove how big and important he is?

Of course not, and this is not the purpose that people are endlessly tormented. Hell is the due justice for a person who commits a sin. Sin is a transgression of an infinite being, God. The just punishment in turn is eternal punishment that does not end.

Neither.

You are in heaven and god instructs you, on his behalf, to descend to hell and oversee the torment and torture of a group of people.

Would you do it?

Yes or no.