The Catholic Church says they will not help poor if D.C.allows gay to marry.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Catholic Church says they will not help poor if D.C.allows gay to marry.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/11/11/AR2009111116943.html?referrer=reddit

"Fearful that they could be forced, among other things, to extend employee benefits to same-sex married couples, church officials said they would have no choice but to abandon their contracts with the city."

"Catholic Charities, the church's social services arm, is one of dozens of nonprofit organizations that partner with the District. It serves 68,000 people in the city, including the one-third of Washington's homeless people who go to city-owned shelters managed by the church."

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, if they're no longer

Well, if they're no longer going to be a charitable organization, they had better start paying their taxes.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Wow..just wow. So they are

Wow..just wow. So they are so scared of two dudes or girls being together, they will resort to extortion? And let the thousands they help go hungry and cold, because, oh no, gays are married! They've pretty much reversed any good they have done with this statement. It's great for churches to help out people in need, one of the few good things they do, but apparently not as important as making sure two people who love each other can't be together.

Guess I missed the verse in the bible that said 'verily I say to you, if your neighbour is hungry, feed him, if he is cold, clothe him, if there are gays getting married, let him starve.'

Next time someone asks why religion is so bad, point them here.

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
One wonders what the vatican

One wonders what the vatican will have to say about this. One also sees the potential for a massive backfire.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I wouldn't have thought the

I wouldn't have thought the RCC could sink any lower in my assessment of them, but they just did it...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
User is offlineOffline
 From the article:"The city

From the article:

"The city is saying in order to provide social services, you need to be secular. For us, that's really a problem."

Where does it say this? The spokeswoman for the diocese has to see the error in the statement released?? They are choosing to NOT provide social services. They are not being FORCED to stop practicing their religion. If they want to stop their social services, so be it. I am sure there are many gay-tolerant religious organizations that are just waiting for the 'big C' to get the fuck out of the way so they can get their names into the big book of good deeds.

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
Clockcat ~ awesome vid

Clockcat ~ awesome vid  Hahaha

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Why is resorting to

Why is resorting to blackmail when threatened such a profound theistic trait?

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
I've been reading "The Future Church" by John L. Allen, Jr.

And it seems to explain a lot.  Of course, the only real test of it will be time and observation, but the important "future" Mr. Allen predicts for the Catholic Church in the context of this discussion is the trend away from the North and toward the South.  You see, the Vatican can already see the handwriting on the wall for Europe and America: we're all a bunch of heretics, at least when we're remaining Catholic at all to begin with.  Contrast that with the Catholic "South" (i.e., Africa, South America, and Asia) which actually believe what the Vatican tells them.  That's right: as crazy as it is, the Vatican has no problems selling its anti-condom ideas in Africa. 

Hence, what I on these message boards previously took to be encroaching senility on the part of the current Pope, may well turn out to be simply that the Pope doesn't think that Canada, the U.S., and Europe are going to be very "faithful" this century, so...he is more-or-less giving up on us, and going to somebody who actually believes Roman Catholic doctrine.  Assuming for the sake of discussion that Mr. Allen is correct on this point, then it follows that Pope Bennie is being smarter than I previously gave him credit for being.  Not much smarter, mind you, but at least a little smarter.  If this is indeed correct, expect to see more African, Asian and South American priests showing up here in the States (and probably Canada and Europe, as well,)...as we are now officially "mission territory."

Conor

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Basically the they are

Basically the they are holding the poor responsible for what the government does? The government is going to make polygamy illegal so im going to stop feeding my children...

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:

"Basically the they are holding the poor responsible for what the government does? The government is going to make polygamy illegal so im going to stop feeding my children..."

Me: Pretty much, yes.  Of course, it's gay marriage, not polygamy, and the gov't would be making it legal, not illegal, but otherwise yes.  After all, one must keep one's priorities in order; gay marriage, about which the Bible says nothing (though, admittedly, it seems to *imply* a lot,) must take priority over feeding the poor, about which the Bible has a great deal to say.

Now aren't you glad to have abandoned such nonsense?

Conor

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Renee Obsidianwords

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

From the article:

"The city is saying in order to provide social services, you need to be secular. For us, that's really a problem."

Where does it say this? The spokeswoman for the diocese has to see the error in the statement released??

This has nothing to do with telling the truth. The spokeswoman knows exactly what the statement says. What she said is nothing more than a flagrant strawman.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

Renee Obsidianwords
User is offlineOffline
geirj wrote:Renee

geirj wrote:

Renee Obsidianwords wrote:

From the article:

Where does it say this? The spokeswoman for the diocese has to see the error in the statement released??

This has nothing to do with telling the truth. The spokeswoman knows exactly what the statement says. What she said is nothing more than a flagrant strawman.

I'm sorry, where did I imply outrage at the spokesperson being a liar? Perhaps I should have used a fancy fallacy label to make my statement a bit more clear when I stated that her statement was in error.

Malhalla
Malhalla's picture
User is offlineOffline
Catholic church: a bad joke.

I can't believe that they have reached an even lower low that the previous ones. This is incredible. I can't believe they let people starve just to prove a point that isn't even debatable anyway.; If you are gay then that's it, you're gay. There isn't an antidote for it or some sort of counseling needed. These people (gays) are now the most persecuted people that I can think of in this country. I hope that this finally shows the church for what they really are.. Fascists!! Let them fall on their faces for this one..

"There is no God higher than truth." -Mahatma Ghandi

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
<object width="425"

That onion.com video is the perfect explanation of the Catholic church in this matter. They really want to help people. Except the gays. They'de rather people starve than have to help some gays out. I really like it that the Catholic church is actually acting like that parody of christian bigotry that theonion.com came up with.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

axeldor (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
That happens here and there.

That happens here and there. I can give you a little view from Spain (Europe) about that. One of the posts was talking about Africa, South American,... in order to speak about growing catholic places. That's more than true, we have -in Spain- had a big increase of inmigration from South Africa and South America. And it's funny  how Churchs are filled in an 80% with South-american people. They are now the support of Catholicism in Spain.

Our gov has achieved to make religion subject from classes optional, though religion in Spain wasn't a matter of teaching youngsters about all the religions in the world but THE ONE AND ONLY CATHOLIC RELIGION... so sad. Africa is very polytehist in that matter, they aren't all catholics not even nearly all of them, there are a lot of muslims. Anyway, Europe maybe it is a war that by now the Pope has lost; just because there are some alternatives for God believers that fit into normal views, like allowing gay marriages, allowing transexuals to rule a church, or even let women rule a churchs and say the "word of the lord". I really laugh into cristian catholics believers as they worship one of the most restrictive religions of all the time, even the Muslims in their holy book have a word of respect for catholics, as their profet said that Jesus was a profet too, I think that's a kind of open mind thought anyway.

Anyway The Church as an institution has nothing to do with real world, they still live in the Middle Age thinking that they can rule everything. Here in spain they have put some ads in TV for people to remember to choose in our annual tax payments to give the 0,07% of our taxes to them, because everytime they get less and less financial support from people in here, nowadays they are asking for an increment of 600.000.0000€ (894.000.000$) because the gov. owes them for supporting charity, their onw monuments (their churchs,...) Eeach year from people donatin at the churchs and all of their possesions in my country they get more than 100.000.0000€, and apart from that -if I haven't misread it some time ago- were between a 10 and a 15% of the space in Spain. That's quite a lot.

Parallel
Parallel's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man those are just the worst

Man those are just the worst kind of people.