Why no shout box?

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why no shout box?

I understand a lot of place leave out a shout box for the sake of post count, or the typr of board or server used. I was just curious why there was no shout box here. I like to talk with people that's all. Sapient?

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I've been to a lot of

I've been to a lot of forums, but I have no idea what a shout box is

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

I've never heard a chat channel referred to as "shoutbox" before.

I've been on Infidelguy's IRC channel a few times, but mostly people just idle there.

I imagine it would probably be similar here. Many people are on at different times of the day, so often it would be quiet.

Once a place has around 50-60+ people, it usually has the activity it needs to survive short of having several dedicated people there to hang out and talk all day.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I modded a forum that had a

I modded a forum that had a shout box. It's kind of like an msn messenger tab above the forums on the main forum page. Though to be honest, my experience with it was having to reset it alot due to spam and TOS violations. It might work better here, but only if you need an account to post in it.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry, I come from mostly

Sorry, I come from mostly underground bodybuilding boards where we call it a shout box. I guess it's the same as the chat channel, I don't know. The box at the top of the screen where people can chat with one another. I understand the traffic issue, but it's always nice in the off chance someone else is on, to be able to carry on a conversation with each other. It's nice getting to know different people.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Big E wrote:I understand a

Big E wrote:

I understand a lot of place leave out a shout box for the sake of post count, or the typr of board or server used. I was just curious why there was no shout box here. I like to talk with people that's all. Sapient?

You mean like a chat room.  If so, it'll take too long to explain why.  Just know I want a chatroom again in the future.  Have a trillion chores on my list.  Help me get more RRS time: http://www.rationalresponders.com/donations_requested_please

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I modded a

Vastet wrote:
I modded a forum that had a shout box. It's kind of like an msn messenger tab above the forums on the main forum page. Though to be honest, my experience with it was having to reset it alot due to spam and TOS violations. It might work better here, but only if you need an account to post in it.

That's always the way it's worked on our boards, you have to be a member to use it. Our boards always have a lot of security features which make it impossible for the spam to get in.

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Big E wrote:I

Sapient wrote:

Big E wrote:

You mean like a chat room.  If so, it'll take too long to explain why.  Just know I want a chatroom again in the future.  Have a trillion chores on my list.  Help me get more RRS time: http://www.rationalresponders.com/donations_requested_please

I don't mean a seperate room, just  the area at the top of the forum. I wish I could better articulate. I'll be donating though, don't worry. Do you purchase the server time at year intervals? Sorry if that's being forward, it's just that the site that I owned had it rented until 2014.Just asking out of curiosity.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:I

I would say it would be trolled like crazy.

But that is my prediction.

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: I would say

ClockCat wrote:

Well, like I said, I'm really only used to the underground bodybuilding forums where security is paramount, so trolling is impossible. You can't use the function if you're not a member.I understand the concern though.

And as far as my question about the donation and the srver, I didn't realize that the requested funds were for other projects as well, I thought it was just to buy server time, so disregard that please.

Loc
Superfan
Loc's picture
User is offlineOffline
 There is a Skype RRS

There is a Skype RRS chatroom that usually has regulars from here chatting 24/7 if you're looking for something like that

Psalm 14:1 "the fool hath said in his heart there is a God"-From a 1763 misprinted edition of the bible

dudeofthemoment wrote:
This is getting redudnant. My patience with the unteachable[atheists] is limited.

Argument from Sadism: Theist presents argument in a wall of text with no punctuation and wrong spelling. Atheist cannot read and is forced to concede.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah it's not a chat room.

Yeah it's not a chat room. More like a real time subforum modelled on a messenger format (without the bells and whistles of messenger) that only retains memory of a certain number of responses before the oldest vanish into oblivion. There's tools for putting one on php boards, though I didn't run the forum and have no idea if you have to pay for it or not, or if it would even work on this site. Either way it would take some time to figure out how to get it going and then do so.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
Big E wrote:I don't mean a

Big E wrote:

I don't mean a separate room, just  the area at the top of the forum. I wish I could better articulate. I'll be donating though, don't worry. Do you purchase the server time at year intervals? Sorry if that's being forward, it's just that the site that I owned had it rented until 2014.Just asking out of curiosity.

Our contract is for a $100 per month payment.  But the majority of the money is needed for other projects.  One of which is amortizing more time for me to work on things like a shoutbox, or even research it or consider it for that matter.  I literally have three years of work to do.  I left work at 4pm Thursday, have worked RRS since then now 16 hours, I'm gonna go sleep for 6 hours, go back to work for 4 hours, come home work RRS for 8 hours, sleep for 6 hours, go back to work for 8 hours... you get the jist.  Burning the candle at both ends.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: I would say

ClockCat wrote:

HA! you'd probably be one of the biggest trolls using it Clock!

What Would Kharn Do?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

The Doomed Soul wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Cat-Ogre thank you. I level up.

Laughing out loud

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:The Doomed

ClockCat wrote:

The Doomed Soul wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Cat-Ogre thank you. I level up.

Laughing out loud

Level up Denied

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)