Can anyone tell me this?

SammyM.
User is offlineOffline
Can anyone tell me this?

First of all, i;m glad to have found this site! Today i was watching a show on Greek Mythology and they began to tell the tale of Zeus and his origin. That's when it dawned on me..... I have never heard, or heard of, anyone questioning where God came from, and how he came to be. Basic religious nonsense aside, does anyone have any ideas on why this is?

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well i have never heard a

Well i have never heard a good answer to where god came from, atleast from a theist point of view, just the standard god is eternal he has always existed. Reason: bible (insert any other religious holy book) told me so. I don't think there can be a differant answer atleast for "modern gods", if there are other theories I don't know them.

From an atheist point of view I have heard a few good theories.

don't understand things about the world "god" used to cover gap in knowledge. example: where lightning comes from, what is the cause.

Someone one to pass the blame to, example: crop failure. then again that is simalar to gap in knowledge.

Idolising traits deemed desirable, like good hunting ability. So they seek the "wisdom of a bear" or something. Asking the bear to bring good hunting.

In any case once there was a god concept it contiued to morph into what we have today, changing as more knowledge was gained and shaped by social values of the time.

There are a few topics around explaining these origins of "gods" from an atheist perspective in far greater depth than i can provide. I don't know to much about it so this is the best i can do. I don't know of any from a theist perspective though.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi Sammy, welcome to the

Hi Sammy, welcome to the forum.

Theists argue that causality is a property of the universe, and God transcends the universe, so he doesn't need a cause. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Hi Sammy,

butterbattle wrote:

Hi Sammy, welcome to the forum.

Theists argue that causality is a property of the universe, and God transcends the universe, so he doesn't need a cause. 

Which is why it's odd that they state that everything needs a creator.  

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
SammyM. wrote:I have never

SammyM. wrote:

I have never heard, or heard of, anyone questioning where God came from, and how he came to be. Basic religious nonsense aside, does anyone have any ideas on why this is?

It's bad for business, the religious business.

Like the answer to most questions of human behavior, follow the money.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
It follows from one of the

It follows from one of the biggest argument for 'God', as the First Cause, Creator of the Universe.

This is based on the intuitive but false idea that the 'cause' of anything has to be 'greater' than its 'effect'. To allow that God needed a cause would lead into an enormous infinite regress, with some greater being needed to create the Universe creator, and a bigger one to create that one, etc.

Since ultimate causes for anything need not be greater than what they cause, the infinite regress is not a problem. If, on average, the 'cause' of something is smaller in energy and time duration that its effect, then even an infinite such sequence adds up to a finite energy and time duration, its origin infinitesimal, all but zero. In practice, this suggests that the tiniest possible energy twitch is all that is required.

This is obviously unacceptable to the Theist, since worshipping a quantum twitch as the 'Creator' doesn't have the same appeal, and doesn't quite work in the Biblical story...

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:This is

BobSpence1 wrote:

This is obviously unacceptable to the Theist, since worshipping a quantum twitch as the 'Creator' doesn't have the same appeal, and doesn't quite work in the Biblical story...

If only we could convince them that the 'twitch' loves them.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Which is why

Sapient wrote:

Which is why it's odd that they state that everything needs a creator.  

This is largely contingent upon the cosmological argument in question. WLC's Kalam argument does invoke cause for everything, only things that begin to exist. A god under this paradigm did not begin to exist, therefore does not necessarily have a cause.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sometimes i wonder why

Sometimes i wonder why theists have decided their is only one infinite being and only one univesrse.  Hey maybe theirs billions of infinite beings all with their own created universe all laughing and sharing stories of their universes and various life forms they watch over for entertainment.  Is this not just as plausible if you  bellieve in god.

ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

Sometimes i wonder why theists have decided their is only one infinite being and only one univesrse.  Hey maybe theirs billions of infinite beings all with their own created universe all laughing and sharing stories of their universes and various life forms they watch over for entertainment.  Is this not just as plausible if you  bellieve in god.

Ocaam's razor, really...don't multiply entities beyond necessity.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

This is what the Mormons believe(or at least pretend to believe). And that you get to become one of these gods as long as you're a good Mormon(especially giving the tithe).

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:NoMoreCrazyPeople

EXC wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

This is what the Mormons believe(or at least pretend to believe). And that you get to become one of these gods as long as you're a good Mormon(especially giving the tithe).

Never heard that before, but when it comes to mormons its true anything goes.  Dont mormons believe god resides on an actual planet??? (klipdorf, zorgon  or something?)

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

Never heard that before, but when it comes to mormons its true anything goes.  Dont mormons believe god resides on an actual planet??? (klipdorf, zorgon  or something?)

You need to watch the banned Mormon cartoon. Pretty much explains the whole thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFZ1jVO3-OE

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline

EXC wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

You need to watch the banned Mormon cartoon. Pretty much explains the whole thing:

This is insanity, are they  really racists?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:This

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

Mormons are not racist. Their God is racist. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

Not officially anymore. Elohim changed his mind apparently. Or more likely they discovered in the 60's that racism was bad for businesses. Blacks are OK now especially if they tithe.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

Not officially anymore. Elohim changed his mind apparently. Or more likely they discovered in the 60's that racism was bad for businesses. Blacks are OK now especially if they tithe.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
User is offlineOffline

EXC wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

But the intergallactical god orgies and  possible assendance to these orgies still holds?

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Sammy. wrote:First of all,

Sammy. wrote:

First of all, i;m glad to have found this site! Today i was watching a show on Greek Mythology and they began to tell the tale of Zeus and his origin. That's when it dawned on me..... I have never heard, or heard of, anyone questioning where God came from, and how he came to be. Basic religious nonsense aside, does anyone have any ideas on why this is?

Well, if you want an historical religious evolution point of view, he was probably head deity (much like Zeus) in a polytheistic religion. Then he told Moses (or more likely people just felt like it) that people should only worship him. This is why god talks to himself in the bible and why he gets jealous if you worship other gods.

I'm sure that the original deity that Yahweh was based on had some sort of myth involving his creation. Most ancient myths from this area have the universe just kind of making itself out of Chaos. Sadly, Yahweh's origin story appears to be missing. Maybe they'll do a prequel.

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Stosis wrote:Sammy.

Stosis wrote:

Sammy. wrote:

Well, if you want an historical religious evolution point of view, he was probably head deity (much like Zeus) in a polytheistic religion. Then he told Moses (or more likely people just felt like it) that people should only worship him. This is why god talks to himself in the bible and why he gets jealous if you worship other gods.

I'm sure that the original deity that Yahweh was based on had some sort of myth involving his creation. Most ancient myths from this area have the universe just kind of making itself out of Chaos. Sadly, Yahweh's origin story appears to be missing. Maybe they'll do a prequel.

isnt Yahweh jesus christ  ?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
His supposed daddy, actually.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Adventfred wrote: Stosis

Adventfred wrote:

Stosis wrote:

Sammy. wrote:

isnt Yahweh jesus christ  ?

Wow, you're right. YOU SOLVED IT! The god of the bible had sex with a woman in the future (keep in mind we're talking about the beginning of the universe) and gave birth to himself. Then he went back into time to create the universe. I smell a continuity error.

If only comic book nerds were around when the bible was being written. Maybe they could have pestered the writers until the story made sense.

Or is this an alternate universe?

Adventfred
atheist
Adventfred's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:His supposed

Vastet wrote:

SO why  would a god who could create universes be minded of sending man to hell and stuff

SammyM.
User is offlineOffline
Pure genius. That's helpful.

Pure genius. That's helpful. I much prefer the mythological theories, at least they attempt to create reasoning behind historical events as opposed to simply saying that it's gods will.

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sammy,If you can tolerate 80

Sammy,

If you can tolerate 80 minutes of Jack Black, 'Year One' the movie parodied 3/4 of  the book of Genesis.

For reading the jesus myth, I recommend 'Lamb: The gospel of Biff, christ's childhood pal'. Funniest book EVER. Beats out Twain's 'Letters from the Earth'.

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline

EXC wrote:

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

Holy Shit

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sadly this is only a little weirder and stupider

Than christianity...

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think that's why I found

I think that's why I found the movie to be so humerous and many people that I know hated it. They couldn't understand it. I talked to a friend about the movie and had to explain the meaning of the whole thing and why it was so funny. Poor lost children. And if what you say is true about Lamb, I need to get my hands on it as soon as possible.

SammyM.
User is offlineOffline
I've had to deal with

I've had to deal with far worse that Jack Black. I've been wanting to check out that movie anyway, now i just have a better reason to watch it. I LOVE that you call it the "jesus myth"! I refer to it pretty much the same.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:But

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

But the intergallactical god orgies and  possible assendance to these orgies still holds?

WHOA.  WHOA.  whoa whoa whoa whoa...

whoa...

where are the orgies happening?

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Where did god come from?

Where did god come from? Simple human ignorance. Humans have always sought patterns and when there is a gap in that pattern, we have evolved as a species, to default to filling in the gap. That is an evolutionary hiccup. Richard Dawkins describes this flaw in "The God Delusion" as being the same thing as when a moth mistakes a light bulb for the natural moonlight.

I think that comes from an infant's narcissism in wanting the parent's attention and protection. A parent is the first thing a human encounters. So from a human evolutionary scale, it is not a surprise that an ignorant human would look at the parent being affected by the world around them and fill in the gap with a larger more powerful parent. The first gods in human history were earthy and as our language evolved and our species became more social and less nomadic, the gods became more human like.

To overcome this, which we can, is to foster reason and questioning as a default and orient ourselves to taking a step back when a gap hits us and learn not to jump to conclusions. But, being a realist, in a theocratic world, although not impossible, I don't know how likely it is as a goal. It may be that superstition is deeply rooted in our evolution and in overcoming that fear of being wrong is the key to breaking human ignorance.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog