Maine Gay Marriage Vote

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maine Gay Marriage Vote

Sad

http://newsok.com/dejection-fills-ballroom-after-gay-marriage-vote/article/3414563

Dejection fills ballroom after Maine gay marriage vote

By JOHN CURRAN, Associated Press Writer

Published: November 4, 2009

PORTLAND, Maine — Cecelia Burnett and Ann Swanson had already set their wedding date. When they joined about 1,000 other gay marriage supporters for an election night party in a Holiday Inn ballroom, they hoped to celebrate the vote that would make it possible.

Instead, they went home at midnight, dejected and near tears after a failed bid to make Maine the first state to approve same-sex marriage at the ballot box.

"I'm ready to start crying," said Burnett, a 58-year-old massage therapist, walking out of the ballroom with Swanson at her side. "I don't understand what the fear is, why people are so afraid of this change.

"It hurts. It hurts personally," she said. "It's a personal rejection of us and our relationship, and I don't understand what the fear is."

With 87 percent of precincts reporting, gay-marriage foes had 53 percent of the vote in a referendum that asked Maine voters whether they wanted to repeal a law allowing same-sex marriage that had passed the Legislature and was signed by Democratic Gov. John Baldacci.

"The institution of marriage has been preserved in Maine and across the nation," said Frank Schubert, the chief organizer for Stand for Marriage Maine, which lobbied for the repeal.

For the gay rights movement, which has gained a foothold in New England, it was a stinging defeat. Gay marriage has now lost in every state — 31 in all — in which it has been put to a popular vote. Gay-rights activists had hoped to buck that trend in Maine, framing same-sex marriage as a matter of equality for all families in a campaign that used 8,000 volunteers to get out the message.

Five states have legalized gay marriage — Iowa, Massachusetts, Vermont, New Hampshire and Connecticut — but all did so through legislation or court rulings, not by popular vote.

Portland resident Sarah Holman said she was torn, but decided — despite her conservative upbringing — to vote in favor of letting gays marry.

"They love and they have the right to love. And we can't tell somebody how to love," said Holman, 26.

While the gay marriage opponents claimed victory, Jesse Connolly, campaign manager for No on 1/Protect Maine Equality, held off conceding until early Wednesday, when he issued a statement vowing to continue to press the issue.

The fight for marriage equality will continue, he told supporters at the Holiday Inn ballroom, where a buffet table included a three-tiered wedding cake — with two grooms standing side by side, two brides standing side by side and the inscription: "We all do!"

"We're not short-timers. We're here for the long haul and whether it's just all night and into the morning, or it's next week or next month or next year. We will be here. We'll be here fighting. We'll be working. We will regroup."

For Burnett and Swanson, the July 10 wedding date — and a reception cruise on Casco Bay — is off.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:I

EXC wrote:

Jormungander wrote:

So sure, they owned slaves and only half-heartedly supported the ending of the institution of slavery. That was very wrong of them. Also, on a seperate note, they meant for things to be set up so that a simple majority couldn't vote away basic rights. That was a great idea and we should be following it today. Non sequiturs about slavery won't change that.

Our disputes have all become what is a right? The founding fathers essentially went along with the 'right' to own Negro slaves. Marriage is essentially a privilege. It creates a special class of people that have privileges and rights that single people don't have.

So if I may use the slavery analogy. This would be like during the slavery era asking people to support the right for Chinese people own Negro slaves as well as white people. How can you call marriage a right if it denies these same privileges to single people? So if you're going to dig up the founding fathers, let's not repeat the same mistake they made.

You have to be trolling at this point. To say "I don't want gays to be able to marry because it is slavery for everyone that isn't married." Really.

1/10, too obvious.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:You have to

ClockCat wrote:

You have to be trolling at this point. To say "I don't want gays to be able to marry because it is slavery for everyone that isn't married." Really.

I never called it slavery, I was only using this as an analogy where a 'right' was granted to one group of people at the expense of other.

How do you defend a system that discriminates against singles? Why do give more money to military personnel that are married? Why don't you support equal pay for equal work?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

EXC wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

I never called it slavery, I was only using this as an analogy where a 'right' was granted to one group of people at the expense of other.

How do you defend a system that discriminates against singles? Why do give more money to military personnel that are married? Why don't you support equal pay for equal work?

Why are you creating arguments for me that I never made?

I'm simply pointing out that you somehow feel it is okay to discriminate against gays, in their having access to marriage...because you don't like marriage.

Which is a dick move. There is no getting around that. 

I wouldn't seek to deny a minority access to anything the rest of the public had, no matter how much I hated or disagreed with the object of inequality.

Anyone should be able to marry anyone they like. If you don't like people being able to get married, you don't have to get married. To stand in the way of one minority and say "You can't have what everyone else, including myself, has access to." makes you a douchebag. Even if it is because you don't like marriage, or won't personally use your access to it.

I don't really care if you choose to be a hermit. You have the opportunity to legally bind yourself to someone you may love in the future, sharing ownership of property, and becoming one unit. You CAN do that. I CANNOT. Please stop trolling.

Also, there is NO pay increase for being married. You are lieing. The only money you can get extra if you are married, is if you are deployed away from your family on an unaccompanied tour of duty. That is SEPARATION pay, to compensate for being forced to stay away from them. It maxes at $250/month, and is usable only for service members with dependent(s), that live with them, and a great number of many other restrictions. Is this your argument against marriage? Really? What a joke.

I want to be able to marry someone else I love and call that bond a family. I want that option. I may not use it, but it is something that I want available. Why do you want to deny me access to something that everyone else has? Why do you mock the plight of not having access to it, while others do? What do you have to gain from this?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:I want to be

ClockCat wrote:

I want to be able to marry someone else I love and call that bond a family. I want that option. I may not use it, but it is something that I want available. Why do you want to deny me access to something that everyone else has? Why do you mock the plight of not having access to it, while others do? What do you have to gain from this?

Who the hell is stopping you from calling anything anything you want? If I want call my doorknob my spouse, who the hell is stopping me? I can printout a certificate on my printer saying we're married. What is so fucking magical about having it registered in the county courthouse? Are judges these magical wizards that can create marriage only if you say the magic words 'I do'.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Also, there

ClockCat wrote:

Also, there is NO pay increase for being married.

EXC is right to say that married couples get preferential financial treatement in terms of taxes. Since they get a tax break just for being married, that is effectively increasing the tax burden of all non-married people. There is some total tax burden, and married people get some relief from it, so taxes are set up so that non-married people are paying more than their fair share. And they only have the higher tax burden just because they aren't married. And that is bullshit.

But that has nothing to do with gay marriage. That problem could only possibly be addressed by changing the tax code. Whether or not gays get married won't make the taxes for singles more fair.

I get where EXC is coming from on this. I wish the government would have no part in marriage and I wish that marriage was a private matter with no government recognition. But, in this non-ideal world that doesn't conform to my fantasies, the government controls marriages. And so my wishes to the contrary don't matter. So lets give gays equal rights even if I wish the government would get out of the business of regulating marriage contracts. Since my perfect no-government-interference-in-marriage world doesn't exist, I'll have to settle for marriage equality in this world. Equality and not regulating bigotry is more important than attaining a libertarian eutopia.

EDIT: I just realized: was that in response to members of the military getting a pay increase for being married? Because they really do get that. Also, as a separate matter the tax system screws singles to benefit married couples..

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

EXC wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Who the hell is stopping you from calling anything anything you want? If I want call my doorknob my spouse, who the hell is stopping me? I can printout a certificate on my printer saying we're married. What is so fucking magical about having it registered in the county courthouse? Are judges these magical wizards that can create marriage only if you say the magic words 'I do'.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-30190.html

Marriage Rights and Benefits

Learn some of the legal and practical ways that getting married changes your life.

Whether or not you favor marriage as a social institution, there's no denying that it confers many rights, protections, and benefits -- both legal and practical. Some of these vary from state to state, but the list typically includes:

Tax Benefits

• Filing joint income tax returns with the IRS and state taxing authorities.
  • Creating a "family partnership" under federal tax laws, which allows you to divide business income among family members.

Estate Planning Benefits

• Inheriting a share of your spouse's estate.
  • Receiving an exemption from both estate taxes and gift taxes for all property you give or leave to your spouse.
  • Creating life estate trusts that are restricted to married couples, including QTIP trusts,QDOT trusts, and marital deduction trusts.
  • Obtaining priority if a conservator needs to be appointed for your spouse -- that is, someone to make financial and/or medical decisions on your spouse's behalf.

Government Benefits

• Receiving Social SecurityMedicare, and disability benefits for spouses.
  • Receiving veterans' and military benefits for spouses, such as those for education, medical care, or special loans.
  • Receiving public assistance benefits.

Employment Benefits

• Obtaining insurance benefits through a spouse's employer.
  • Taking family leave to care for your spouse during an illness.
  • Receiving wages, workers' compensation, and retirement plan benefits for a deceased spouse.
  • Taking bereavement leave if your spouse or one of your spouse's close relatives dies.

Medical Benefits

• Visiting your spouse in a hospital intensive care unit or during restricted visiting hours in other parts of a medical facility.
  • Making medical decisions for your spouse if he or she becomes incapacitated and unable to express wishes for treatment.

Death Benefits

• Consenting to after-death examinations and procedures.
  • Making burial or other final arrangements.

Family Benefits

• Filing for stepparent or joint adoption.
  • Applying for joint foster care rights.
  • Receiving equitable division of property if you divorce.
  • Receiving spousal or child support, child custody, and visitation if you divorce.

Housing Benefits

• Living in neighborhoods zoned for "families only."
  • Automatically renewing leases signed by your spouse.

Consumer Benefits

• Receiving family rates for health, homeowners', auto, and other types of insurance.
  • Receiving tuition discounts and permission to use school facilities.
  • Other consumer discounts and incentives offered only to married couples or families.

Other Legal Benefits and Protections

• Suing a third person for wrongful death of your spouse and loss of consortium (loss of intimacy).
  • Suing a third person for offenses that interfere with the success of your marriage, such as alienation of affection and criminal conversation (these laws are available in only a few states).
  • Claiming the marital communications privilege, which means a court can't force you to disclose the contents of confidential communications between you and your spouse during your marriage.
  • Receiving crime victims' recovery benefits if your spouse is the victim of a crime.
  • Obtaining immigration and residency benefits for noncitizen spouse.
  • Visiting rights in jails and other places where visitors are restricted to immediate family.

Big E
Big E's picture
User is offlineOffline
Herk wrote:The Catholic

Herk wrote:

The Catholic Church spent $550,000 to get this crushed. I think it's time they lose their tax-exempt status.

My sentiments exactly, and a point that I've been arguing since the election. The Moron church had a large sum of money tossed into this thing as well. I am proud to say that my hometown, Portland, was overwhelmingly positive. It's the backwoods folks that killed it. For the life of me I can't understand how it's legal to have tax exempt status, yet they can contribute money to influence political elections. I'm throwing the bullshit flag on this one.