Why did Moses break the Tablets?

julio
atheist
Posts: 290
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
Why did Moses break the Tablets?

Oh, oh! Here’s one for you to disentangle!
...
[“As he drew near the camp, he saw the calf and the dancing. With that, Moses' wrath flared up, so that he threw the tablets down and broke them on the base of the mountain.” Exodus 32:19.]

No gods with indirect messages to me.


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3716
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
There's two possibilities.1)

There's two possibilities.

1) The sinful Jews didn't deserve the tablets.

2) He was pissed off, so he smashed whatever was handy, which happened to be the commandments, kind of like how tennis players smash their rackets on the ground.   

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3661
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Perhaps Moses thought of the

Perhaps Moses thought of the Tablets as being the equivalent of "lions" or "vultures" and therefore he destroyed them.

http://theatheistconservative.com/

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." Mark Twain.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3661
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:  The

butterbattle wrote:

 

 The sinful Jews didn't deserve the tablets.

 

  Wait a minute, are you accusing Moses of anti-semitism ?

http://theatheistconservative.com/

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." Mark Twain.


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13671
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
He broke the tablets because

He broke the tablets because he had a hang over. Plop Plop Fizz Fizz, oh what a relief it is.

Yea, I am showing my age.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2399
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
OOOPS!

 

 

 

        Perhaps breaking the tablets was easier then admitting there wasn't anything written on them.  Think for a moment; would Moses smash something created by his god, specificly for his use,  reguardless of how outraged he was with his brother and the rest of the party goers?   A truely devout lawgiver would not do such a thing.

 

         It gives creedence to the fact the story was invented out of thin air. It's a hellava dramatic story but total fiction.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


julio
atheist
Posts: 290
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
Good point, jeffrick.

Good point, jeffrick.


ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
Posts: 3661
Joined: 2007-12-02
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

 

 

 

        Perhaps breaking the tablets was easier then admitting there wasn't anything written on them.

 

       

 

 

  How hard would it have been for Moses to carve the commandments himself and save himself from the possibility of embarrassment ?  He had to break then to save face ?

   Besides, how would breaking them solve the problem ?  Unless Moses ground the Tablets into dust it would be a simple matter for one of his contemporaries to examine even a fragment to detect whether there were indeed inscriptions carved upon the surface.  Archeologists work with partially fragmented evidence all the time.  Artifacts need not be completely intact to detect such characteristics.

( I don't have time at the moment to look up the scripture reference but I believe that Moses ascended the mountain an additional time to receive the second set of Tablets and there is no record of him smashing those ...not to mention I believe the Tablets were later placed within the Ark Of The Covenant along with Aaron's staff and a sample of manna. )

 

http://theatheistconservative.com/

I'm a right wing atheist because I enjoy being hated by everyone.

"When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction." Mark Twain.


pauljohntheskeptic
atheistSilver Member
pauljohntheskeptic's picture
Posts: 2484
Joined: 2008-02-26
User is offlineOffline
ProzacDeathWish

ProzacDeathWish wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

 

 

 

        Perhaps breaking the tablets was easier then admitting there wasn't anything written on them.

 

       

 

 

  How hard would it have been for Moses to carve the commandments himself and save himself from the possibility of embarrassment ?  He had to break then to save face ?

   Besides, how would breaking them solve the problem ?  Unless Moses ground the Tablets into dust it would be a simple matter for one of his contemporaries to examine even a fragment to detect whether there were indeed inscriptions carved upon the surface.  Archeologists work with partially fragmented evidence all the time.  Artifacts need not be completely intact to detect such characteristics.

( I don't have time at the moment to look up the scripture reference but I believe that Moses ascended the mountain an additional time to receive the second set of Tablets and there is no record of him smashing those ...not to mention I believe the Tablets were later placed within the Ark Of The Covenant along with Aaron's staff and a sample of manna. )

 

There's more fun and games here to consider.

1)God noticed the people had made gods. He then decided to put his wrath against them and consume them all. God then planned to make a great nation from Moses. Moses convinced God not to kill them because what will the Egyptians say. Moses then guilt trips him by reminding him of the promise he made to Abe, Isaac, and Israel to make a great nation of them. Apparently God was worried about his public image and what might be said in the ancient gossip columns and tabloids about how finicky he was.

2) And then - "And the Lord repented of the evil which he had thought to do unto his people." - Exodus 32:14 So I guess that substantiates the later claim by God he created evil in Isaiah 45:7, he admits such here, so much for any entity being without sin or evil. One needs to ask, who did God repent to?

3)Moses went down the mount and was pissed off, smashing the tablets. The 10 commandments movie started the BS they didn't deserve them. Single handed he destroys the gold calf and grinds it up and forces the people to drink the ground gold in the water. So was Moses related to Hercules, strong enough he could hold people down to force them to drink the gold?

4)He then splits the camp into those on the Lord's side and those not. Only 3,000 men are killed of the 600,000 men that had left Egypt. Apparently forced drinking of gold dust convinced them to be on the Lord's side.

The second set of tablets are made in Exodus 34.

So many holes, so much Sci-Fi, so much fantasy. The 10 commandments movie shows this in even worse light with more BS and fantasy then the original myth.

____________________________________________________________
"I guess it's time to ask if you live under high voltage power transmission lines which have been shown to cause stimulation of the fantasy centers of the brain due to electromagnetic waves?" - Me

"God is omnipotent, omniscient, omnibenevolent, - it says so right here on the label. If you have a mind capable of believing all three of these divine attributes simultaneously, I have a wonderful bargain for you. No checks please. Cash and in small bills." - Robert A Heinlein.


julio
atheist
Posts: 290
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
Hi, pauljohntheskeptic.

Hi, pauljohntheskeptic. Appreciated your post very much. You're absolutely correct. "BS & fantasy", you're right!

No gods with indirect messages to me.


Atheistextremist
atheistSilver Member
Atheistextremist's picture
Posts: 5102
Joined: 2009-09-17
User is offlineOffline
This whole story is a bunch of crap

 

Here we have almighty god, capable of creating heaven and earth and all the creeping things thereon, carving school rules into stones with his fingernail.

If god had any class he would have given the commandments to Moses on a solar-powered Kindle.

It would have been far easier to carry down a mountain and way easier and more spectacular to smash.

And there's this. The Jews couldn't be left alone for ten minutes before they started making gods up to worship? What a crock.

No one's been able to change their minds about their own silly god for thousands of years.

 

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck


julio
atheist
Posts: 290
Joined: 2008-12-27
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

Here we have almighty god, capable of creating heaven and earth and all the creeping things thereon, carving school rules into stones with his fingernail.

If god had any class he would have given the commandments to Moses on a solar-powered Kindle.

It would have been far easier to carry down a mountain and way easier and more spectacular to smash.

And there's this. The Jews couldn't be left alone for ten minutes before they started making gods up to worship? What a crock.

No one's been able to change their minds about their own silly god for thousands of years.

 

Your point is very, very interesting. Made me think a lot. Thanks.

No gods with indirect messages to me.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist

Atheistextremist wrote:

 

Here we have almighty god, capable of creating heaven and earth and all the creeping things thereon, carving school rules into stones with his fingernail.

 

 

We  should also keep in mind how rediculously undevine the commandments are as well as how funny the story in which they were delivered is.   Both taken into consideration leave us with quite an interesting yet laughable story indeed.


Larry Silverstein (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Breaking Tablets

 Shalom.

 

The sacrifices the Israelites offered in Exodus 32 were HUMAN!

 

The scribes who edited the Old Testament covered up this fact, but with a little digging, one can find it.

 

In Amos 5:25-27 & in Acts 7:42-43 we come across the name Moloch. It was an idol that had a Bull's or Calf's head on top of a FURNACE.

 

The Israelites must have offered thousands of Human Sacrifices to Moloch, because Moshe has 3,000 of the Israelites in Exodus 32:21-28.

 

Please Google Sanhedrin 64a-64b of the Babylonian Talmud and you will see that Talmudic Jews are shown how to offer Human Sacrifices & not be guilty.

 

In 1 Kings 11:1-11 we read that Solomon offered some of his many children to Moloch.


A_Nony_Mouse
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
.

Larry Silverstein wrote:

 Shalom.

The sacrifices the Israelites offered in Exodus 32 were HUMAN!

The scribes who edited the Old Testament covered up this fact, but with a little digging, one can find it.

In Amos 5:25-27 & in Acts 7:42-43 we come across the name Moloch. It was an idol that had a Bull's or Calf's head on top of a FURNACE.

The Israelites must have offered thousands of Human Sacrifices to Moloch, because Moshe has 3,000 of the Israelites in Exodus 32:21-28.

Please Google Sanhedrin 64a-64b of the Babylonian Talmud and you will see that Talmudic Jews are shown how to offer Human Sacrifices & not be guilty.

In 1 Kings 11:1-11 we read that Solomon offered some of his many children to Moloch.

You are needlessly reaching. Moses is a myth. Israelites are a myth. Scribal cluture is a myth. The real history of Judea starts with the Maccabes.

 

 

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml


digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
Posts: 3204
Joined: 2007-10-15
User is offlineOffline
He did such a bad job at

He did such a bad job at forging them that he knew no one would believe him, so before they could examine them he threw them down and broke them so that no one could prove otherwise; oh then he made a bold but false claim that god made the tablets.

 

 

Free will is an illusion. People always choose the perceived path of greatest pleasure.

-Scott Adams


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 3391
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
digitalbeachbum wrote:He did

digitalbeachbum wrote:

He did such a bad job at forging them that he knew no one would believe him, so before they could examine them he threw them down and broke them so that no one could prove otherwise; oh then he made a bold but false claim that god made the tablets.

 

 

but according to the bible god made him another set soon after and these were preserved in the ark of the covenant until its unrecorded disappearance.

"I asked my father,
I said, 'Father change my name.'
The one I'm using now it's covered up
with fear and filth and cowardice and shame."
--Leonard Cohen


A_Nony_Mouse
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
.

julio wrote:
Oh, oh! Here’s one for you to disentangle! ... [“As he drew near the camp, he saw the calf and the dancing. With that, Moses' wrath flared up, so that he threw the tablets down and broke them on the base of the mountain.” Exodus 32:19.]

Mel Brooks says he only broke commandments 11 through 20.

 

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml


A_Nony_Mouse
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
.

butterbattle wrote:

There's two possibilities.

1) The sinful Jews didn't deserve the tablets.

2) He was pissed off, so he smashed whatever was handy, which happened to be the commandments, kind of like how tennis players smash their rackets on the ground.   

3) He liked adultery.

 

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml