Tree of Life

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tree of Life

Here's something interesting that I found.

It's supposedly the most massive attempt to construct a family tree of all living things so far.

http://www.zo.utexas.edu/faculty/antisense/tree.pdf

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
And here I thought you were

And here I thought you were going to say something about the awesome Larry Niven and his sweet sci-fi books set in Known Space.  You didn't  I'm terribly disappointed.  That's a very pretty graph, though.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
For those of us who aren't

For those of us who aren't biologist, do you mind telling us what the words on the end are? are they species, genus, etc...?

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think they're species.

I think they're species.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
The words are kingdoms, the

The words are kingdoms, the individual end-points are species.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology