Scientists pull an about face on global warming

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Scientists pull an about face on global warming

http://www.calgaryherald.com/business/Scientists+pull+about+face+global+warming/2010571/story.html

EDIT:

This article is a bald-faced lie, and a textbook example of irresponsible journalism. This is a form of libel that is illegal in Canada, and I will not have the article reprinted here. 

Anyone interested in the content can follow the link Alison has provided. 

Peace.

Kevin R Brown

DOUBLE EDIT: Please read the following article after reading the journalist's distortions above:  http://deepclimate.org/2009/10/02/anatomy-of-a-lie-how-morano-and-gunter-spun-latif-out-of-contro/   The author does an excellent job of explaining the errors in the Herald article. 

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 *Sigh* Alison, please

*Sigh*

Alison, please check your sources. The Calgary Herald is a wonderful propaganda mill for Alberta's petroleum industry; I'm not sure what was said at the conference being referenced, but I imagine that this is either a gross misrepresentation or an outright lie.

...I suppose you're on the denial bandwagon too, now? Those crazy scientists and their ideas about short wave length radiation passing through the atmosphere, being re-emitted as long wave length radiation, and then being absorbed by CO2. What could they possibly know?

Bunch of gobbledegook.

Back to reading the Bible.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 [url=http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf

Compare the article's quotes and representation of Dr. Pachauri to this transcript:

http://www.ipcc.ch/pdf/presentations/rkp-statement-unccs-09.pdf

Whether or not you happen to believe that Pachauri has done his research properly, does this sound like an 'about face' to you? Can you even find the quotes that the Herald noted?

It's fucking garbage. It's Fox News brand news. 

Y'know what, I'm so fucking sick of this... does anyone know how to file a legal complaint in Canada? I'm serious. That article was an outright fabrication, and that's totally illegal. 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

February 27, 1940

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Oh Joy, Kevin is

Oh Joy, Kevin is back!

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Whether or not you happen to believe that Pachauri has done his research properly, does this sound like an 'about face' to you? Can you even find the quotes that the Herald noted?

Not only that, they mis-spelled DR. R. K. PACHAURI as Prof. Mojib Lati.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Not only that, they

Quote:
Not only that, they mis-spelled DR. R. K. PACHAURI as Prof. Mojib Lati.

Now, that was my mistake, as I thought for some reason I read Pachauri's name in the story. Apologies to the Herald.

Now, your turn - and be aware that I'm just in One Of Those Dreadful Moods right now Alison, and that your answer here is pretty damn important.

Do you support the publishing of libelous papers that print lies about what a person has actually said (bear in mind that the Herald in that article alleged to be printing direct quotes)? And do you personally believe the what the article has suggested (that the IPCC has about-faced on it's position)? 

EDIT: There's a time limit on my generosity tonight, Alison. I need your answer in another hour or so, because that's when I'm off to bed. 

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: Now,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Now, your turn - and be aware that I'm just in One Of Those Dreadful Moods right now Alison, and that your answer here is pretty damn important.

"Yeah! And make me a sammich and iron my shirt while you do it!"

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Do you support the publishing of libelous papers that print lies about what a person has actually said (bear in mind that the Herald in that article alleged to be printing direct quotes)?

No

Kevin R Brown wrote:

And do you personally believe the what the article has suggested (that the IPCC has about-faced on it's position)? 

Not really, the media always over blows headlines to get attention. I do find it interesting though that the Earth may be going through a cooling period.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

EDIT: There's a time limit on my generosity tonight, Alison. I need your answer in another hour or so, because that's when I'm off to bed. 

So I have to get on my knees and beg?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 No. But depending on your

No. But depending on your answer, I was considering spending my evening deleting all of your posts (past and present) and asking you how it feel when someone else denies you the ability to communicate.

Quote:
I do find it interesting though that the Earth may be going through a cooling period.

Except it isn't; well, not by Latif's estimations, anyway.

Read this article:

http://deepclimate.org/2009/10/02/anatomy-of-a-lie-how-morano-and-gunter-spun-latif-out-of-contro/

And please stop spreading lies about climate change.

It's destroying my favorite park. 

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote: No.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

No. But depending on your answer, I was considering spending my evening deleting all of your posts (past and present)

That totally would have been mature.

Kevin R Brown wrote:

and asking you how it feel when someone else denies you the ability to communicate.

When have I ever denied somebody the ability to communicate?

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Quote:
I do find it interesting though that the Earth may be going through a cooling period.

Except it isn't; well, not by Latif's estimations, anyway.

Read this article:

http://deepclimate.org/2009/10/02/anatomy-of-a-lie-how-morano-and-gunter-spun-latif-out-of-contro/

Your article wrote:

What I said is that the cooling in the Atlantic and Pacific may offset global warming for a decade so that there may be not much of an additional warming. …  I also pointed out that the British group issued a competing forecast for the next decade. They predict that global warming will continue at the rate of the last decades. Thus there is quite some uncertainty about the short-term evolution. Yet we all agree that in the long run, say by 2050 and thereafter,  the earth will considerably warm, if we do not considerably reduce global greenhouse gas emissions.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:When have I ever

Quote:
When have I ever denied somebody the ability to communicate?

Lying about what someone has or has not said is denying them their right to expression. Every single person who picks up and reads that Herald article is going to be told that Latif has said something that he hasn't said, denying him the ability to convey his research.

You'll note that 'there may not be much of an additional warming' is not the same thing as saying 'we're entering into a cooling period'. 

You may also want to read the further correspondence letter by Latif:

Quote:

Subject: Re: Possible misrepresentation in Calgary Herald

Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 09:07:41

To: [Deep Climate]

[DC],

we showed the graph more than a decade ahead to see how long the effect of the initial conditions lasts. It is a forecast, but as I pointed out, we do not have much skill at longer lead times. It may well be that the warming will be even stronger.

Mojib.

That doesn't sound like an about-face to me. It sounds like an explanation of how the forecasting works and what it's limitations are.

Quote:

February 27, 1940

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
I declare that nobody won

I declare that nobody won this debate but everyone who read it lost a little of their intelligence.

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
ok, this is getting silly. 

ok, this is getting silly.  people come on here and throw out bullshit and misquote sources and each other all the time and nobody gets this worked up.  i've called out people for misquoting or misrepresenting marx several times on this site, and while it annoys me, i don't think if i were a mod i would fuck with somebody's post for it.  it's not cap's fault if the article is bullshit and it's pretty high-handed to attack her for a newspaper's views just because this particular topic happens to hit a raw nerve.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:I

iwbiek wrote:

ok, this is getting silly.  people come on here and throw out bullshit and misquote sources and each other all the time and nobody gets this worked up.  i've called out people for misquoting or misrepresenting marx several times on this site, and while it annoys me, i don't think if i were a mod i would fuck with somebody's post for it.  it's not cap's fault if the article is bullshit and it's pretty high-handed to attack her for a newspaper's views just because this particular topic happens to hit a raw nerve.

My advice? Back away slowly....

Now I ignore my own advice.

I'm going to side with Kevin on this for content, and Cpt for not making threats. 

The article seems to be trying to push an agenda rather than accurately portray work from the scientist. It is using an argument from ignorance as an excuse to try and disqualify all studies. Very much the same argument many creationists use against evolution. 

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
So I am probably going

So I am probably going to lose on this one but I choose to actually discuss the articles at hand.

When I started the first one, I was initially thinking that I would not read the second one until I had already made my own “spot the bullshit” post addressing the issues with the first one. Sadly, by the time I got to the end of it, I realized that it was actually such a fluff piece that there is not even much substance to bother trying to refute.

Even so, the major point on which it fails is in the title. Regardless of what the one person actually said, it was only about what one person said. To use the plural “scientists” suggest that it has something to do with there being more than one of them connected to this story. The fact that there is only one scientist involved in this story is itself a journalistic problem.

Even if there were more scientists involved in this story, how many have to be involved before it even suggests that there might be an issue worthy of looking further into? Two scientists means little here, as does a couple of dozen scientists. And honestly, there are at least a couple of dozen scientists on the IPCC who have made quote mineable statements.

When there are a couple hundred scientists saying in no uncertain terms that we need to step back and look at the data again, that will get my attention in a very different way. However, the fact is that global climate is a complicated matter and I would not really be surprised if lots of the people doing the work were looking at data which is not fully understood and asking hard to answer questions. The last I heard, that is what we are paying them for.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:I declare that

Gauche wrote:

I declare that nobody won this debate but everyone who read it lost a little of their intelligence.

I'm starting to think anybody who reads any of my posts loses IQ points.

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Gauche

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Does it get sucked into your head like some sort of comic book villainess? Because that would be pretty cool. If you had a yellow suit with a cape and big helmet shaped like a pineapple and then a beam shoots out of it into someone's eyes and fries their brain when it sucks all the information out and downloads it into you leaving them with a head the size of a tennis ball.  Then you just fly away laughing "Ha ha ha you pathetic fools..."

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:I

Gauche wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Gauche wrote:

Does it get sucked into your head like some sort of comic book villainess? Because that would be pretty cool. If you had a yellow suit with a cape and big helmet shaped like a pineapple and then a beam shoots out of it into someone's eyes and fries their brain when it sucks all the information out and downloads it into you leaving them with a head the size of a tennis ball.  Then you just fly away laughing "Ha ha ha you pathetic fools..."

You are making it worse.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gauche wrote:  Does it get

Gauche wrote:

Cool, I like it.. Now I know I'm not the only one here with a twisted sense of humor coupled with an over-active imagination.