All thiests should take 20 minutes to listen to this, and really listen!!!

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
All thiests should take 20 minutes to listen to this, and really listen!!!

All thiests should take 20 minutes to listen to this, and really listen.  I spent 13 years being tought what you believe, and 10 years looking into your opigions.  All i ask is for 20 minutes of real thought and reflection to an accurate and well articualted representation of my beliefs.

 

please watch

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3YOIImOoYM

 

 


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
how can you not see that

how can you not see that being part of a certain religion that excludes others in your heaven, as theirs exludes you simply doesnt work in a rational world and leads only to arrongance and confusion.

 

"How can we expect to survive our religious diferences indefenitly" 

Sam harris

 

 it just cant be

 


Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
Posts: 1474
Joined: 2009-01-23
User is offlineOffline
Just because people are lazy

Just because people are lazy to click a link


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Nice

Nice


Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
Posts: 778
Joined: 2008-09-08
User is offlineOffline
Sounds good so far. Not see

Sounds good so far. Not see how this applies to me. I'll keep listening though.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
 Are you christian???  If

 Are you christian???  If so how can this not apply to you, it applies immensly to you!!!


Eloise
Theist
Eloise's picture
Posts: 1804
Joined: 2007-05-26
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

 Are you christian???  If so how can this not apply to you, it applies immensly to you!!!

Uh oh... :S Ciarin don't answer that... just give a link or something..

No, Crazypeople. She's not Christian; and you are tickling a tiger there LOL.

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Well i could have written

Well i could have written down all my beliefs, which i am trying to do one bit at a time on this forum but thats a long job, a well articulated speaker and presentation is a usefull tool.  

Dont have to tell me if your a christian, thats ok.  It was an honest question? 


Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
Posts: 778
Joined: 2008-09-08
User is offlineOffline
I'm pagan. I believe in many

I'm pagan. I believe in many gods, none of them are omniscient or omnipotent, or omnibenevolent. I'm also religiously plural so all the problems that come with "my religion is the true religion, my god is the true god, everyone else sucks" doesn't occur.

 

So this video doesn't really apply to me, since the only fanatical heathen I've heard about is in jail for burning down churches in norway, which probably has more to do with being anti-christian than fundamentalist heathen.

 

Also, it's curious that my signature didn't show up in my previous post. It was purposely created for the foreknowledge that I'd be mistaken for, or asked if I am, christian.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:I'm pagan. I

Ciarin wrote:

I'm pagan. I believe in many gods, none of them are omniscient or omnipotent, or omnibenevolent. I'm also religiously plural so all the problems that come with "my religion is the true religion, my god is the true god, everyone else sucks" doesn't occur.

Well thats refreshing!!!  Please tell me more about the gods you believe in.  If you are plural these ideas do not apply to you, and you are the first ive talked to on this site so far, i thank you for that.

 

 

 

Ciarin wrote:

 It was purposely created for the foreknowledge that I'd be mistaken for, or asked if I am, christian.

Actually I thought you were a Christian because I was tired and blurry eyed (or could've been the doobie I smoked) and I thought that was a cross around your neck.  My mistake.

 


Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
Posts: 778
Joined: 2008-09-08
User is offlineOffline
The pendant I wear in my

The pendant I wear in my avatar is an Eormensyl(Irminsul). If you want to find out what I believe go here: http://fyrnsidu.net


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Ciarin wrote:The pendant I

Ciarin wrote:

The pendant I wear in my avatar is an Eormensyl(Irminsul). If you want to find out what I believe go here: http://fyrnsidu.net

 

Heres a few quotes from the "Gods and Goddesses" section of the site that best describes your belief system.

"Helle
This enigmatic power rules the underworld, and the land of the dead. It is widely circulated in some circles that she might be the same entity as Holda, though this is quite wrong, and is not supported either mythologically or etymologically.

She appears as a powerful woman, half dead and monstrous, half living and beautiful, showing us a duplicity which often echoes our perceptions of death itself. She rules the Halls of the underworld, which wait to recieve the vast majority of heathen dead

Wealdburg
The goddess Walpurga, Waldburga, or Wealdburg, is an ancient goddess of fertility who was known and worshipped in Germany long before the saint. She is the original European “Queen of the May”, and possibly the sister of Eostre.

Seaxnēat
The god known as Seaxneat was the patron-ancestor god of the aetheling house of the East Saxons (i.e. Essex, England). He was also one of three gods, the others being Thunor and Woden, specifically mentioned in the baptismal denunciation the Old Saxons were forced to spew in the 8th century C.E"
 

 

Now i have to ask because you seem like such a nice and reasonable girl, do you actually believe these gods are real living entities accurately represented by these descriptions.  Or is this more like a fun thing you like to think and dont take very seriously.  Because if its the former, i cant help but be extremely concerned about your mental state.


Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
Posts: 778
Joined: 2008-09-08
User is offlineOffline
I believe in these gods,

I believe in these gods, really. My mental state is none of your concern, but be assured I've passed several mental health exams when I was in the gov't.


weirdochris
weirdochris's picture
Posts: 25
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
     I think

 

 

 

 

 

I think Harris’s point in the video was that any belief not based in fact slows us down as a species from ever knowing the truths of the universe. Like holding the belief that you have a large diamond in your back yard. Just because a particular belief system hasn’t killed anybody doesn’t make it a good way of interpreting the world.

 


Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
Posts: 778
Joined: 2008-09-08
User is offlineOffline
And if a particular belief

And if a particular belief system doesn't hinder our species from ever knowing the truths of the universe?


weirdochris
weirdochris's picture
Posts: 25
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
If its a belief not based in

If its a belief not based in reality then in a sense it does. 


Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
Posts: 778
Joined: 2008-09-08
User is offlineOffline
weirdochris wrote:If its a

weirdochris wrote:

If its a belief not based in reality then in a sense it does. 

 

Evidence please.


weirdochris
weirdochris's picture
Posts: 25
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
Not sure what you're looking

Not sure what you're looking for when you say evidence. I could throw a hypothetical at you if thats what you're looking for. Any preconceived idea of an afterlife is going to effect our behavior in this life. If you think a snake god might eat you after death, then you might stand in the way of medical research on snakes. (not saying that you do, or would, just an example)


Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
Posts: 778
Joined: 2008-09-08
User is offlineOffline
your hypothetical would

your hypothetical would account for potential hindrance with certain beliefs. I'd like you to show that all belief systems would slow down the progress of attaining knowledge of the universe.


weirdochris
weirdochris's picture
Posts: 25
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
I said all belief systems

I said all belief systems that aren't based in reality. throw me an example a belief system thats not based in reality, that you feel doesn't slow us down as a species and i might have more to work with.


Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
Posts: 778
Joined: 2008-09-08
User is offlineOffline
My belief system.

My belief system.


weirdochris
weirdochris's picture
Posts: 25
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
I got this from your web

I got this from your web site

"our gods give us protection, inspiration, and godly might in our aspirations. We honor our gods with gifts, freely given, and they do the same for us. This exchange of gifts is the proper way for heathens and heathen gods to show friendship and love for one another."

 

if a person believes that their aspirations are endowed with godly might then how in the world could their aspirations ever be wrong?  there is a similar belief  in Christianity " if God is with us, then who can be against us".  These ideas create an "us vs. them" mentality that slows us down as a species.


Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
Posts: 778
Joined: 2008-09-08
User is offlineOffline
weirdochris wrote: if a

weirdochris wrote:

if a person believes that they aspirations are endowed with godly might then how in the would could there aspirations ever be wrong?

 

Cause no one thinks they're infallible. There are 2 maxims in heathenism:

 

1) You're doing it wrong

2) You're not hte boss of me

 

Anyone in heathenry who claims they are endowed with godly might and their aspirations can never be wrong are deemed to be fools.

 

Excerpts from the Havamal:

 

"A sage visitor is a silent guest. The cautious evades evil. Never a friend more faithful, nor great wealth, than wisdom."

 

and

 

"The cautious guest who comes to the table speaks sparingly. Listen with ears, learns with eyes. Such is the seeker of knowledge."

 

And even if someone thought their aspirations were endowed with godly might, how does this prevent humanity from progressing?


weirdochris
weirdochris's picture
Posts: 25
Joined: 2007-01-04
User is offlineOffline
If your religion has the

If your religion has the Maxim "i might be wrong" at its core, then its not really what Harris is talking about when he says a belief system. I hope I win the lottery, but I don't base my life around it because I know that every time i buy a ticket, that there is a really good chance that all I did was just waste a dollar. A belief sinks deeper into our psyche and lets loose a flood of emotions and wacky behaviors.