People on this SIGHT are nowhere near as intelligent as.... [YOU RESPOND]

RationalRespons...
Moderator
RationalResponseSquad's picture
Posts: 556
Joined: 2006-08-17
User is offlineOffline
People on this SIGHT are nowhere near as intelligent as.... [YOU RESPOND]

From: rsmccarthy@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [General Question] A sad atempt...not impressed

Raymond McCarthy sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

Your blatant use of logical fallacies notwithstanding, I find that your
arguments are flawed, your logic off, and frankly are some of the worst
examples of intellectualism that I have seen in a long time. Do you
honestly think that the universe comes in prepackaged bits for your
convenience? A laughable attempt at trying to act more intelligent than you
actually are. Sad indeed.

Oh, and by the way, Sigmund Freud once said “sometimes a cigar is just a
cigar” meaning that sometimes when someone says something they really
mean what they say. So based off the above, no, this is not a vain attempt
to goad you into a fight, I am not just some ‘religious nut’ who cannot
accept the facts. I really do think that your logic is off and most of you
on this sight are nowhere near as intelligent as you think you are. So
before you use a vain attempt of trying to find some “skeptical
response” to my statements above I would suggest you read the above.

Have a nice life in your delusion.

You may now do what all atheists do and block me.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Oh goody. I get to be first.

Oh goody. I get to be first. It's been awhile.

"Your blatant use of logical fallacies notwithstanding, I find that yourarguments are flawed, your logic off, and frankly are some of the worstexamples of intellectualism that I have seen in a long time."

I find your lack of evidence and example disturbing. Or I would, but I already know that you got your definitions from your church, instead of the dictionary. So you just don't know any better.

"Do youhonestly think that the universe comes in prepackaged bits for yourconvenience? A laughable attempt at trying to act more intelligent than youactually are. Sad indeed."

Here's an opportunity for you to learn a real fallacy. It's called the "Straw Man". It's where you make shit up and pretend someone said it so you can ridicule it, never mind that you ridicule yourself by doing this.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


AmericanIdle
Posts: 414
Joined: 2007-03-16
User is offlineOffline
Two full paragraphs wasted

Two full paragraphs wasted on on some sort of random, and albeit, juvenile criticism that was never really defined in any proper context.

Your life can't possibly be this empty can it ?

Quote:
 Have a nice life in your delusion.

Here's a second chance.....(and I'm not holding out much hope here) please explain what this "delusion" would be.

 

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act."
George Orwell


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"Oh, and by the way, Sigmund

"Oh, and by the way, Sigmund Freud once said “sometimes a cigar is just acigar” meaning that sometimes when someone says something they reallymean what they say. So based off the above, no, this is not a vain attemptto goad you into a fight, I am not just some ‘religious nut’ who cannotaccept the facts. I really do think that your logic is off and most of youon this sight are nowhere near as intelligent as you think you are. Sobefore you use a vain attempt of trying to find some “skepticalresponse” to my statements above I would suggest you read the above."

I think that you're a typical theist nut who wanders the web looking for atheists to hate when you should take a long look in the mirror. You post is just a long winded insult. There's nothing to debate or discuss, as you never had the intent to debate or discuss. Just a logical fallacy surrounded in ad hominem.

Have a nice life in your delusion.
You may now do what most theists do and never come back. Hopefully you'll try again though. Could be fun.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Hellloooo??? i dont

Hellloooo??? i dont understand what these theists are trying to accomplish with the post and run.   They dont stay to defend their beliefs, from what ive seen anyone whos not a complete offensive idiot or has anything to discuss at all worth discussing irregardless of what their stance on the discussion is are allowed to post freely.  What i find puzzleing is how a theist can think that posting and leaving the post active like this, only to generate more and more logical responses without rebutle to be viewed by more theists in the future can help their cause in any way.  It surely only goes to show how many cant defend what they believe at all.  

 

I've only been on the site for a couple days, ive started a couple topics myself.  I'm very outspoken, and in no way think i am the smartest, or the most literate, or the best writter.  I have already had to defend what i said, I expect not only to have to defend what i believe, but also  may be enlightened to things i havent thought of yet, or was simply mistaken about.  I would never post something and run, its rediculous.  The hole point of a site like this is not to deconvert people although this im sure happens as a bi-product, but to discuss important issues and enlighten ourselves as best we can, no one on the site knows everything and so we can all learn from the discussions we have, even with the dum-dums  So???  Where'd you go???  


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
*Kicks AmericanIdle for

*Kicks AmericanIdle for splitting my response*
Sticking out tongue

NoMoreCrazyPeople, this was an email sent to RRS, not a post on the forum. But as the site says where the address can be found, emails are subject to being posted on the forum so that members can respond. That way people can get diversity in responses, and it's a bit more likely that one will hit home. A link to this topic will have been sent to the persons email, so he or she can come and discuss it further, should they choose to. A number have, so you never know. Any time you see [YOU RESPOND] in the topic title, it's an email.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
ahhh!

ahhh! well it is my second day, thanks for the enlightenment, just like i said.


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10688
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
No problem, you can't be

No problem, you can't be expected to have everything figured out right away. Smiling

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
Posts: 3400
Joined: 2008-03-23
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

Do you
honestly think that the universe comes in prepackaged bits for your
convenience? 

no, that's actually the typical theist position: that the universe is a closed system that acts on predictable laws based on scripture anbd/or tradition and was created and is maintained by a conscious entity.

i think most of the science folk on this SITE subscribe to chaos theory and do not think there is any reason or teleology behind the universe at all.

as for myself, i'm a historical materialist and i subscribe to the buddha's view that anything extraterrestrial or extradimensional or extra-anything that does not directly affect one's consciousness is irrelevent, including speculation on theology, eschatology, and teleology.  of course, having been a religion major i enjoy such speculation, but i do not think it should significantly influence private or public life.

"I asked my father,
I said, 'Father change my name.'
The one I'm using now it's covered up
with fear and filth and cowardice and shame."
--Leonard Cohen


ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
Posts: 862
Joined: 2009-08-06
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:


From: rsmccarthy@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [General Question] A sad atempt...not impressed

Raymond McCarthy sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

Your blatant use of logical fallacies notwithstanding, I find that your
arguments are flawed, your logic off, and frankly are some of the worst
examples of intellectualism that I have seen in a long time. Do you
honestly think that the universe comes in prepackaged bits for your
convenience? A laughable attempt at trying to act more intelligent than you
actually are. Sad indeed.

Oh, and by the way, Sigmund Freud once said “sometimes a cigar is just a
cigar” meaning that sometimes when someone says something they really
mean what they say. So based off the above, no, this is not a vain attempt
to goad you into a fight, I am not just some ‘religious nut’ who cannot
accept the facts. I really do think that your logic is off and most of you
on this sight are nowhere near as intelligent as you think you are. So
before you use a vain attempt of trying to find some “skeptical
response” to my statements above I would suggest you read the above.

Have a nice life in your delusion.

You may now do what all atheists do and block me.



I hate to respond to these because the authors are not here to defend themselves....

But anyways, this guy made unsubstantiated claims, yet he's wondering why so many people reject theism...define irony.

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13687
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

From: rsmccarthy@sbcglobal.net
Subject: [General Question] A sad atempt...not impressed

Raymond McCarthy sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

Your blatant use of logical fallacies notwithstanding, I find that your
arguments are flawed, your logic off, and frankly are some of the worst
examples of intellectualism that I have seen in a long time. Do you
honestly think that the universe comes in prepackaged bits for your
convenience? A laughable attempt at trying to act more intelligent than you
actually are. Sad indeed.

Oh, and by the way, Sigmund Freud once said “sometimes a cigar is just a
cigar” meaning that sometimes when someone says something they really
mean what they say. So based off the above, no, this is not a vain attempt
to goad you into a fight, I am not just some ‘religious nut’ who cannot
accept the facts. I really do think that your logic is off and most of you
on this sight are nowhere near as intelligent as you think you are. So
before you use a vain attempt of trying to find some “skeptical
response” to my statements above I would suggest you read the above.

Have a nice life in your delusion.

You may now do what all atheists do and block me.

Hahahahahahahah...............Block you? You must be confusing this site with other websites. What a blanket statement. The only thing that gets people banned here is trolling, sock puppets and threats of violence. Other than that, you are welcome to spew your absurdities, we love chew toys.

Secondly, NO we do not think the universe is prepackaged. If anything myth lovers think that. A giant disembodied magical, invisible super brain, floating nowhere and everywhere at the same time did it, somehow. THAT is prepackaged, and quite frankly just as stupid as believing in Santa.

The universe is no more a result of a deity than your computer screen is run by hamsters spinning a wheel producing pixie dust to run your computer screen.

What we don't know about the universe is not magic anymore than taking a dump is. What we do know about the universe is that it is NOT a giant brain. What we do know is that it was not created by Allah, or Vishnu, or Thor or Jesus.

We do know that humans are capable of making up fantastic fictional claims and passing them on as fact from generation to generation. The ancient Egyptians once thought the sun was a thinking super natural being, AND THEY WERE WRONG.

What makes you think modern humans, of any deity belief are magically immune to the same flaw?

Instead of making sweeping generalizations, be brave and take us on and BE specific. Take this post for example. Tell me specifically in this post, where my logic fails?

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
NoMoreCrazyPeople

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

ahhh! well it is my second day, thanks for the enlightenment, just like i said.

 

This explains it: http://www.rationalresponders.com/forum/the_rational_response_squad_radio_show/you_respond_rationally_mailbag/2236

 

And as to the follow up "the authors aren't here to respond to these,"  every single author is alerted to the posted email and able to respond without registering on the site. 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
Posts: 1868
Joined: 2008-01-25
User is offlineOffline
rsmccarthy@sbcglobal.net

rsmccarthy@sbcglobal.net wrote:

Your blatant use of logical fallacies notwithstanding, I find that your arguments are flawed, your logic off, and frankly are some of the worst examples of intellectualism that I have seen in a long time. Do you honestly think that the universe comes in prepackaged bits for your convenience? A laughable attempt at trying to act more intelligent than you actually are. Sad indeed.

You do know what "notwithstanding" means, right?

I'm feeling smarter already.

Quote:
Oh, and by the way, Sigmund Freud once said “sometimes a cigar is just a cigar” meaning that sometimes when someone says something they really mean what they say. So based off the above, no, this is not a vain attempt to goad you into a fight, I am not just some ‘religious nut’ who cannot accept the facts. I really do think that your logic is off and most of you on this sight are nowhere near as intelligent as you think you are. So before you use a vain attempt of trying to find some “skeptical response” to my statements above I would suggest you read the above.

I'm not sure what kind of skeptical response to give, as you said nothing of substance. I could say, "Defend your propositions with evidence," which would be a suitable skeptical response, I guess, but I doubt you have any good examples. I mean, there are a lot of flawed arguments here, definitely. Individually, some of us sometimes don't present our best game (me especially). But really, we have some excellent arguments, as well (such as the ontological and epistemic untenability of god).

However, your concern is noted.

Quote:
Have a nice life in your delusion.

Thanks! You have a nice life in my delusion, too.

Quote:
You may now do what all atheists do and block me.

I'm an atheist, and I don't block you (goal, cock, internet, or otherwise). So your passive-aggressive assertion has been proven false.

Welcome to my delusion, Champ. It's gonna be a long stay, and you're playing by my rules now.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
 I've always wondered if

 I've always wondered if theists are pissed off when they find out they're not blocked, and they have to sulk away quietly because they didn't have anything else to say.

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


ubuntuAnyone
Theist
ubuntuAnyone's picture
Posts: 862
Joined: 2009-08-06
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:And as to the

Sapient wrote:

And as to the follow up "the authors aren't here to respond to these,"  every single author is alerted to the posted email and able to respond without registering on the site. 

10-4

“Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid.”


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3718
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Quote:You may now do what

Quote:
You may now do what all atheists do and block me.

I know you want to feel oppressed or something, but we don't block people for disagreeing with us, even if they're dicks.  

Sorry, dude. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
Posts: 628
Joined: 2008-02-29
User is offlineOffline
Um....

 rsmccarthy@sbcglobal.net said "I am not just some ‘religious nut’"

 

Yeah, you are.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13687
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is onlineOnline
They are more than welcome

They are more than welcome at this website. I am sure there are plenty of atheist websites that take a "don't offend others" approach. Being an atheist myself, I would not join or support such a website. I do not believe that the road to bridging gaps or ending bigotry is done through political correctness.

These people who assume this site will automatically ban them falsely associate all atheists agreeing on all issues all the time. This is false.

BTW, I have been banned from Christian websites and chat rooms before. But I do not assume all websites or chat rooms will do the same. If I get banned from any website, whatever it's topic matter is, I DONT CRY CENSORSHIP.

Why? Because the website is doing it, NOT THE GOVERNMENT. If I want my voice heard, there are hundreds of millions of websites on the web and or, I can make my own.

We've even had atheists in the past bitch about their free speech being violated because a Christian site booted them. BULL SHIT! The people(on either side of the god issue) who do this CAN GO ELSEWHERE OR MAKE THEIR OWN WEBSITE.

Again, to the OP  e-mail and to any Christian or whatever, reading this. This site is not the totality of all atheists. It's rules are even more lax than most newspaper websites.

WE WANT believers here. WE like the challenge. WE like the fight. WE are not afraid of it. WE do not take it personally. WE do not hate people who hold beliefs we don't agree with. And we wish you would duke it out with us without taking it personally too.

You will not get banned for merely saying, "You are full of shit, god exists". You will not get banned for saying, "You are going to burn in hell". GET OVER IT! We are all adults and if being offended is the worst the atheist or theist has to fear, we are all better off.

 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
Posts: 268
Joined: 2009-10-13
User is offlineOffline
Quote: Your blatant use of

Quote:
Your blatant use of logical fallacies notwithstanding, I find that your arguments are flawed, your logic off, and frankly are some of the worst examples of intellectualism that I have seen in a long time.

It would be nice if you'd supply at least one specific example so that one could respond meaningfully.  Lacking that, I'll temporarily settle for pointing out an error in your use of English:

 

Quote:
...and most of you on this sight are nowhere near as intelligent as you think you are.

Sight is the ability to see.  A site is a location, as in, "This is a web site."  I normally resist the urge to bring up such things.  However, when someone accuses others of not being very smart and makes a stupid mistake in their use of language while doing, it seems like fair game to me.

Reality is the graveyard of the gods.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
    quote:Sight is the

 

 

 

 

quote:

Sight is the ability to see.  A site is a location, as in, "This is a web site."  I normally resist the urge to bring up such things.  However, when someone accuses others of not being very smart and makes a stupid mistake in their use of language while doing, it seems like fair game to me.

 

I do agree with you mostly when it comes to someone putting forth an angry post with no real substance.  But i have to say we're all imperfect with our spelling and grammar, some are more carelss than others like me, i try my best but am much more concerned with the issue articulated than the spelling of the words.  Literacy and inteligence are two very different things.  One could be intelligent and mostly illiterate based on his circumstace, he could still be an intelligent philosher able to concieve intelligent thought and not able to properly articulate his philosophies because of his illiteracy.   In my personal experience when discussin important things with someone picking away at my spelling, and cant help but find them petty and trivial, although correct to enlighten me about by incorrect spelling. 

Just as an example in the last sentence of your post, your comma seems to be in the wrong place, it should surely be after the "it" but that doesnt make your statement any less valid to me. 

  Ofcaorse not al all sticking up for the Crazies palm smashing the keyboard on caps lock and then running, but slight spelling mistakes i think are something if made by someone with a decent approach to discussion should mostly be off limits for a person to use as a rebutle.   

 


NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
Posts: 268
Joined: 2009-10-13
User is offlineOffline
Yes, but...

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
but slight spelling mistakes i think are something if made by someone with a decent approach to discussion should mostly be off limits for a person to use as a rebutle.  

  I understand that intelligence and being good with grammar and spelling are not necessarily intimately connected.  I also understand that pointing out someone's mistakes in spelling or grammar is not a real rebuttal to their argument.  That's why I generally don't point out such things.  However, there are exceptions and, in my opinion, Raymond McCarthy's email qualifies as an instance in which I should make such an exception, for reasons that I gave in my previous post.

 

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Just as an example in the last sentence of your post, your comma seems to be in the wrong place, it should surely be after the "it" but that doesnt make your statement any less valid to me.

Argh.  I left out an "it".  There should be one before the comma as well as after.  Since I made that mistake while pointing out someone else's mistake, I think you would be justified in calling me out for it.  Eye-wink

 

Reality is the graveyard of the gods.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7523
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
NoDeity wrote:I also

NoDeity wrote:

I also understand that pointing out someone's mistakes in spelling or grammar is not a real rebuttal to their argument.  That's why I generally don't point out such things.  However, there are exceptions and, in my opinion, Raymond McCarthy's email qualifies as an instance in which I should make such an exception, for reasons that I gave in my previous post.

Ditto, that's why I pointed it out with all caps in the title.  I normally don't point it out as almost everyone on this site has made a spelling error or two.  The e-mailer reminds me of this picture...

 

get a brain morans

 

 

 

 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
Posts: 969
Joined: 2009-10-14
User is offlineOffline
Not kiding

Im framing this picture and hangin it on my wall. Not kiddin, im gonna blow it up, maybe a black and white, what a great piece of art. 


NoDeity
Bronze Member
NoDeity's picture
Posts: 268
Joined: 2009-10-13
User is offlineOffline
That's a great

That's a great picture.

 

I've seen it before but it still puts a smile on my face.

Reality is the graveyard of the gods.