Why do you have to be so righteous? Are you always assholes? [YOU RESPOND]

RationalRespons...
RationalResponseSquad's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why do you have to be so righteous? Are you always assholes? [YOU RESPOND]

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 2:51 PM
Subject: [General Question] A few questions...

Brad Johnson sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

After reading several of these posts, I have a few questions:

1.) Aren't you guys doing the very same thing you're trying to stop?  How
is it any different for you to push your views of atheism onto everyone you
encounter, as opposed to a Christian pushing their views onto someone?

2.) Why do you have to be so righteous while doing it?

3.) Are you typically always assholes, or is that quality reserved for
special circumstances?

4.) I see a lot of question-dodging from a lot of you most of the time on
here.  And also flaws when trying to use logic to explain things.  A lot of
non-sequiturs.  And the burden of proof always rests with the person making
the claim.  It's not dependent on which is more "outrageous," since that's
entirely subjective to the individual.  This includes someone saying God
exists, and also someone who says that God doesn't exist.  Why do some of
you have a hard time figuring this out? 

Thanks for the time, hope you guys have a great day.  Take care.

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

RationalResponseSquad wrote:

We're not trying to stop people from pushing their views on others.  We're trying to stop people from pushing their views on others without being challenged.  Teachers and doctors push their views on us all day, without them we'd be screwed.  It's views that don't have proof that we take issue with, and we think those views should be challenged at every turn including our own.  Now the question is how much scientific fact does the theist have to back up their views and how much is base don faith?

Quote:
special circumstances?

Most of us here reserve that only for other assholes.

Quote:

What questions have you seen dodged that you'd like answered?  Don't dodge this. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
RationalResponseSquad

Sent: Monday, October 05, 2009 2:51 PM
Subject: [General Question] A few questions...

Brad Johnson sent a message using the contact form at
http://www.rationalresponders.com/contact.

After reading several of these posts, I have a few questions:

correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe it's usually good god-fearin' folk like yourself who throw themselves onto this site and lash out left and right (like you're doing now).  i don't make it a point to visit www.ilovejesushesavedmesoletspraykumbaya.org and start calling everybody a bunch of tards.  i don't think most of the other regulars here do either.

cuz i don't wanna be bogus.

special circumstances?

actually, in my case it's on a person-by-person basis.  most people i interact with get thrown into either a "be respectful" or "be an asshole" category, and it's more or less permanent.  i haven't classified you yet, but you're definitely sliding toward the latter.

non-sequiturs. 

examples examples examples, please.  otherwise you can say anything about anybody.  for example, i have seen a lot of racist activity from you.  see how easy that is?

And the burden of proof always rests with the person making

the same reason why i have a hard time figuring out why it's up to ME to prove that pete's dragon doesn't exist.  you see, brad, a claim is a POSITIVE ASSERTION.  you theists make a positive assertion that god exists.  we counter that there is insufficient evidence for this (insufficient as in none), so we take the DEFAULT POSITION that god does not exist.  this is standard logic when it comes to making ANY claim.  until you present observable data that establishes beyond doubt that pete's dragon exists, i am bound by logic to assert he doesn't exist.  same with god.  just because more people have faith in god's existence than pete's dragon's is not my problem.

and please recall what atheism actually means.  it means a lack of belief in a deity.  even if i'm more comfortable saying "i don't know," that's still atheism.  until i make a positive statement that i believe in a god or gods, i am an atheist.  you see?  both positions, "there isn't" and "i don't know," are negative assertions, and thus logically do not require evidence.

now, if i make a POSITIVE assertion that "belief in god(s) is harmful," THEN i am absolutely required to give evidence.  many on this site have made that claim and many have given evidence to support it.  and no, please don't try to engage me on the issue.  use the search function and hunt up the appropriate threads.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Why do you have to be so

"Why do you have to be so righteous?"

Because we're right?

"Are you always assholes?"

Not at all. We simply excell at it thanks to extensive experience with theist assholes who can't leave well enough alone.

1: I'm promoting critical thought and skepticism. How is spreading notions of invisible friends the slightest bit similar?

2: Because I'm right. And also because your side is just as righteous as ours, even though your side is wrong. Balance is important you know.

3: Special occasions. Smiling

4: A lot of claims there. Care to back them up with examples? Or are you hoping a generic and invalid slur can squeeze by?

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
4b: Because you propose god,

4b: Because you propose god, the burden of proof lies with you. I am well within reason and logic to demand evidence for santa, Luke Skywalker, and god; before devoting my life to them. And most of us will acknowledge that maybe there is a being that created the universe. But you have so far failed to even describe one, let alone prove it must or does or even did exist. One is not necessary to explain the universe. Therefore you have to prove it exists, or is necessary. None of you have come close, despite ten thousand fucking years to work with. Give it up already.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

NoMoreCrazyPeople
atheistSuperfan
NoMoreCrazyPeople's picture
User is offlineOffline
in my experience most

in my experience most athiest do their aboluste best to not let out their inner ass-hole or be arrogant.  But when faced with TheCrazies its can be very difficult sometimes based on their level of critical thought to remain calm.  The ones that are so far gone appear like cartoon characters to us, it is very hard to restrain yourslef when someone thinks you deserve eternal torture, as do all your apostate loved ones.  What do you expect from us, if you took on the debate that rape was ok under certain circumstances, woudl you expect getrting anything other than a bunch of ass-hole resposes if not an old fassion passionate ass-whoopin. 

I see no difference in the agreeance in eternal torture under certain circumstance and the agreeance with rape in certain circumstance except for the fact that eternal torture is much worst.  We the rational minded hold no such belief in theists of any kind, that they deserve any harm to come to them simply because they are theists.  We believe in good, the possibilty of a better rational world, treating others the way you want to be treated etc...  Theists seem to have their hearts in the right place, but still hold on to offensive immoral teachings.  You cant polish dogshit into a diamond, no matter how hard you try.  So these immoral beliefs you hold so dear can at times turn the average jolly athiest into an ass. Most of us genuinly try our hardest not to do so!!! 

GypsyWytch
GypsyWytch's picture
User is offlineOffline
*facepalm*

Quote:

We aren't pushing our views of atheism onto a single person.  What we are doing is helping our fellow humans overcome their irrational delusions.  Believing in imaginary people isn't healthy for your mind and it suppresses the growth of knowledge and keeps people trapped in ignorance.  Religion is a disease that has been responsible for more murders than anything else.

Quote:

Because we are right.

Quote:

special circumstances?

We're never assholes.  However, many people like yourself act like them towards us, so if we happen to push back every once in a while, well there's your reason.  I understand that you think you have the right to act like that, but don't expect a cookie and a hug in return.  Expect what you give.

Quote:

We don't dodge questions.  And I don't see why you are complaining that the burden of proof always rests on the person making the claim.  I'm sure you'd change your mind if someone accused you of a crime you didn't commit.  Or should the burden of proof be on YOU in that case.  Should we de-evolve back to the days where someone was guilty until proven innocent?  Because that's what you seen to be asking for.  I also find it funny that you complain about our so-called fallacies, yet you haven't pointed a single one out, unless you count the "the burden of proof lies on YOU and not the person making the claim" as a fallacy.  It's not.  So you have nothing.

Liberate your mind. Fuck religion.