God is Real!

BADWAY
Theist
BADWAY's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is Real!

My name is Badway and I believe in God, Elohim, Allah or whatever you wish to refer to the higher Deity. I understand how easy it is to be atheist or even agnostic , especially in this day and time however, the evidence of Gods' existence is too overwhelming to push under the rug of disbelief. I'm not here to make enemies nor convert for as a believer in God I also believe in freewill for He Himself is the Author of it. The Bible is merely a book not in so much as a book of laws but a handbook on how to live and treat each other and nature itself. The book is an inspirational work of literary art written by various authors to report their divine relationship with their creator. The Bible does not conflict with the theory of evolution nor contradicts it but does emphasize our development as we understand it. Many of the stories in this book are parables and allegories meant to relate our minds to our experiences and learn the message that is to be gained from it. Many of these stories are not meant to be taken as fact which is usually the main reason "Christians" and non theists supporters debate almost ironically religiously. The belief in God is not religion nor the acceptance of Christ as their Lord and savior but yet man has made a religion of it. The Messiah preached against religion so The Christ and atheists are in agreement. In other words religion is wrong whether it be Judaism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Wiccan, or Voodoo too name a few. I know many atheist will contend such facts as Zoroastorism being a precursor to Christianity and that some of it's precepts may have come from that including Islam as well. The Bible speaks of God's nemesis the devil as being the father of lies which stands to reason that all of our alleged knowledge of particular subjects may have been authored by the evil one himself. It is okay to question, I do it all the time, however it is not okay to deny your God or His love excuse me unlimited love for each and every one of you. I will respect all of you who wish to correspond with me but let it be known I am no expert on God's holy word or any other subject, I am a believer because of things in my life that have transpired and luck nor coincidence can justify it. Bless you all and good luck to all of you. Sincerely yours Badway...it's kind of funny though when you think about the word atheist..break it down and you have A Theist..I'd like to think that's a practical joke planted by your pick..either God or Devil but it's ironic no matter how you look at it..maybe more appropo would be non-theist...take care hope to hear from you...

"They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions...I must be going to Heaven because I don't have any good intentions.".BADWAY

BADWAY
Theist
BADWAY's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is real

Hey gadfly....chew toy hunh...okay if that makes you feel better about your self....fine...haha

First of all I mentioned his uh Fallibility not infallibility get it straight.

Where he was fallible if you read his comment to which i was responding he made the error of contradicting himself...i suggest you go back and reread it unless he edited it...after i pointed out his contradictions. Either anything is possible or it is not and again you contradicted yourself...if it is possible a God can exist then why does the God of the bible can not....

Why not give me credit Thomathy did.....useless argument

Actually he didn't say no he didn't he said No. there was no justification in his statement. If he believes no then he would not conceive it to be plausible even for others...say what you mean guys or leave the debates to the professionals. Irritating that you get offended for comments you make and I point out your contradictions...I'm not mad you for blasting me with your pitiful attempts at sarcastic rhetoric but please stop being so juvenile..I would expect this from adolescents not grown educated adults.

I don't get a get out of Hell free card because i believe. I'm sure I'll pay for my sins one way or another...heck I may be doing that now here on Earth....but God can forgive you and deliver you but all he asks is to give yourself to Him..let Him be your shoulder to lean on...He loves you so much and it bothers me that you Can't get that....Jesus said I came not to judge the world but to save it...HELLO is anyone listening or reading....Does God hate murder yes, but not the murderer. If the Murderer won't repent for his sin or ask for forgiveness or to accept the Messiah as his savior then you would be condemned...and GOD DOES NOT WANT TO DO THAT...He is doing everything He can to salvage you but you wish to continue to rebel and be satanic with your attitude towards that you can't explain.

You don't kill someone and ask forgiveness then get saved and go out and kill again without fear of retribution...can one stumble yes but if you were truly saved you would not kill again but then that's why the Lord said judge not lest ye be judged for as you do so shall you be!

because we don't know why a person does what they do...was it out of self defense, falsely accused of a the crime, what? Only God knows your heart and it is upon that you will stand on judgement lest you have repented and accepted the Messiah as your Lord and Savior. He who drinks from this well will not thirst, he who eats of this bread shall not hunger. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.....There are none righteous, no not one....So what does that tell you...it tells me that even Mother Theresa is in Danger of judgement just like Hitler...the difference is who accepted and believed before they left this world.

And by the way,gadfly....let the person I'm responding to answer for themselves and respond only to your posts....that's like letting an attorney speak for Mike Tyson because he can't articulate his own thought processes so he needs an interpreter of sorts...but thanks for playing! 

"They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions...I must be going to Heaven because I don't have any good intentions.".BADWAY

BADWAY
Theist
BADWAY's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is real

Well if your an ape then your the prettiest ape I have ever seen....I guess that makes me ignorant and a Beastialist? don't think there such a word but you get what i mean....and Miss norton fan we all are ignorant for that means basically we don't know things and I'm okay with that but to assume your right because man said you should accept this as fact based on this principle is stupid. And I don't beleive because man said or even because the bible said I believe for other reasons that to you may be insignificant or passed off as being lucky but I suggest to you it is far deeper than that....if only you knew...if only you knew

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
BADWAY wrote: Wow Thomathy

BADWAY wrote:

Wow Thomathy you almost did it ...you almost made me go W.T.....but ha ha I won't.

So you can't admit you might be wrong so you must be perfect. The authority of all authorities. You're a genius. I'm blown away. I should worship you. You have all the answers because you can't be wrong. Can you?

How is it that you inferred that I must be perfect, the authority of all authorities, a genius, should be an object of your worship, have all the answers and can't be wrong from what I wrote?

Quote:
I didn't invent anything so there goes that statement.
I don't know what you're talking about.

Quote:
My imagination..hmmmm...so I made up God, I wrote the Bible, I created the Solomons temple, the Dead Sea Scrolls, Torah,...the Great flood,
Well, the bible is objectively a work of fiction.  I know you'll disagree.  Anyhow, you clearly did not make up the bible, Solomon's temple, the dead sea scrolls, the torah or the great flood.  Of course, you had to throw in there something that is patently untrue to load your question.  The great flood never happened, except in fiction.  You will disagree, I'm sure.  What you did make up is your idea of this god.  Would you like to show me your rigorous, coherent definition of your god?  Are you willing to present to me valid reasoning and evidence or experiments which will show this god of yours to exist?

Quote:
yep you got me it was me I did all this.....boy you are reaching!
And you have reading comprehension problems and the extraordinary ability to infer a number of things from what I wrote that weren't even there, let alone implied.

Quote:
Now you contradict yourself...You said you couldn't be wrong or admit to possibly being wrong then you turn right around and said Sure, anything is possible...even you being wrong...hmmm which is it?
I have never said that I can't be wrong.  Would you please provide a quote if I'm mistaken? 

Quote:
Can you or can't you, at least i'm man enough to admit my shortcomings in the area of God, astrophysics, evolution among other things..even humble. I'm not so arrogant to say otherwise.
I don't follow how you can accuse me of arrogance.

Quote:
I asked is it possible for life on other planets,then you say "No. It's possible of course" which is it bro your more confusing than an hermorpadite on the dating game for ambiguous heterosexuals!!!
Never minding your unfunny sexism and poor spelling, I answered very clearly.  You asked a question.

Quote:
Do you believe in life on other planets either lower, equal or higher than ourselves?
The answer to that question is, 'No.' I then went on to say, in a separate thought, 'It's possible, of course.  There's actually good reason to think that other planets have life.  I don't know what you mean by 'lower, equal or higher,' though.'.

You have a reading comprehension problem.  I will make what I wrote easier for you to understand.

Thomathy wrote:
No, I don't believe that there is life on other planets that is, 'either lower, equal or higher than ourselves'.  It is possible that there is life on other planets, however, and there is good reason to think so, but I don't know what you mean by 'lower, equal or higher'.

Am I going to have to clarify everything I write?  Don't now accuse me of dishonesty because of your inability to read or to understand your own questions and don't presume that I've contradicted myself when it is you who has the problem reading and comprehending.  I am giving you largely more thoughtful answers to your questions and actual rebuttals.  You are engaging in ad hominem and writing plainly bizarre, non sequiturs.  (And those aren't just big, intimidating words, they mean something.)

Quote:
So your saying it doesn't make sense  that there maybe a whole of different mathematical principles that could put us in a whole other dimensional realm like 4th or 5th dimensions or parallel universes. Why, because of your inability to accept anything is possible...oh yeah that's right you said Sure it's possible....whatever bro....good thing your not on the show You're smarter than a 5th grader...zowie..zing!
I would like you to show me how it is I've contradicted myself.  Wait, I think I've figured it out.  This is due to you reading and comprehension problems.

BADWAY wrote:
Thomathy wrote:
Can we agree that both sides may be wrong or at least not know enough to say that without a doubt either of us knows the complete truth?
No.

Thomathy wrote:
I don't even know what that means.  You invent something that you believe in that explains things you otherwise wouldn't be able to.  That's not the same as looking at this figment of your imagination, seeing it as just that, and showing your belief the door.
Simply, your god-belief isn't in the category, if I am understanding what you wrote, of things that constitute complete truth.

If you weren't talking about god, which would be strange, I apologize.  Neither of us can have 'complete truth'.  That isn't accessible to anyone.  What we can have is reasonable certainty.  Regarding your god-belief I'll wait for you to show a rigorous, coherent definition of your god and to present to me valid reasoning and evidence or experiments which will show that it exists.  Until then, I take your claim by its merit and by yours.  I have no reason to trust that some thing you say exists that contradicts what any learned person can know does exist.  In short, I don't trust that your claim isn't just made up.  Please, don't respond with a fallacious argument from popularity.

Quote:
Oh and sorry i meant to say is, to be able to practice self fullfilment without prejudice. Meaning, you would rather go on living your life the way you see fit without reservation or reprimand, fear of answering to a higher authority than yourself so it it would be far easier to just deny God and His existence because that's a mental battle you don't want to be burdened with...in other words feeling guilty for doing something deemed morally unacceptable. My Bad. I should have worded it better but I was pressed for time. Sorry
Yeah, you could have worded that wall of text there better.  Never mind.  It is unfortunate that you believe that someone who doesn't believe in your god is automatically immoral and has no guilt or does not find certain action morally unacceptable.  I don't need some imaginary higher authority to justify the good that I do and I don't need it to stop myself from doing things, which in this society and by the laws which govern my country are morally (but not necessarily morally) unacceptable.  Frankly, that makes me a more moral person than you.

Quote:
So what was there before the BBT, Thomathy? You suggested there may have been something there prior to the Big Bang....do you have a clue? I asked Thomathy what, when there was nothing , that created the first molecule? I didn't mention universes I said if you went back far enough in time before the BBT there had to be something that created the molecule that replicated and formed a nucleus that formed an atom that........................................................................................Can you answer that? I'm not here to debate science but show that God's creations are in fact quite scientific. Dispel that without rhetoric!
Your question is misinformed.  I cannot answer your question because it doesn't make sense.  The Big Bang was an event that spawned the universe and everything within it, including atoms and eventually the first molecule.  You will simply have to study the Big Bang.  I am neither a teacher nor an expert on it.  I know you can at least read a little.  Visit the Wikipedia page on the Big Bang and follow the citations to the source material and begin there.  It is hardly reasonable of you to demand a direct and complete answer to an ignorant question which must first be corrected and re-asked and which requires a rather detailed answer.  In anticipation that you will not go to the Wikipedia article or read the source material for the article, I will post the first bit, which should serve to show how it is that your question is misinformed.

Wikipedia wrote:
The very early universe

All ideas concerning the very early universe (cosmogony) are speculative. As of today no accelerator experiments probe energies of sufficient magnitude to provide any insight into the period. All proposed scenarios differ radically, some examples being: the Hartle-Hawking initial state, string landscape, brane inflation, string gas cosmology, and the ekpyrotic universe. Some of these are mutually compatible, while others are not.
[edit] The Planck epoch

Up to 10–43 seconds after the Big Bang

Main article: Planck epoch

If supersymmetry is correct, then during this time the four fundamental forces — electromagnetism, weak nuclear force, strong nuclear force and gravitation — all have the same strength, so they are possibly unified into one fundamental force. Little is known about this epoch, although different theories propose different scenarios. General relativity proposes a gravitational singularity before this time, but under these conditions the theory is expected to break down due to quantum effects. Physicists hope that proposed theories of quantum gravitation, such as string theory and loop quantum gravity, will eventually lead to a better understanding of this epoch.
[edit] The grand unification epoch

Between 10–43 seconds and 10–36 seconds after the Big Bang[1]

Main article: Grand unification epoch

As the universe expands and cools from the Planck epoch, gravitation begins to separate from the fundamental gauge interactions: electromagnetism and the strong and weak nuclear forces. Physics at this scale may be described by a grand unified theory in which the gauge group of the Standard Model is embedded in a much larger group, which is broken to produce the observed forces of nature. Eventually, the grand unification is broken as the strong nuclear force separates from the electroweak force. This occurs as soon as inflation does. According to some theories, this should produce magnetic monopoles. Unification of the strong and electroweak forces, means that the only particle expected at this time is the Higgs boson[citation needed].
[edit] The electroweak epoch

Between 10–36 seconds and 10–12 seconds after the Big Bang[1]

Main article: Electroweak epoch

The temperature of the universe is low enough (1028K) to separate the strong force from the electroweak force (the name for the unified forces of electromagnetism and the weak interaction). This phase transition triggers a period of exponential expansion known as cosmic inflation. After inflation ends, particle interactions are still energetic enough to create large numbers of exotic particles, including W and Z bosons and Higgs bosons.
It wouldn't hurt to notice that there are entire articles and lines of study devoted only to the particular epochs noted.  The summarised information there, in fact, is neither complete, exhaustive nor authoritative.  I don't recommend taking it as it is, I highly recommend you actually do some detailed reading of your own.  What you should take from it is that it is not incorrect and it should dispel your misinformed notion of the Big Bang and what it is and how particles were generated after the universe's inception.

Quote:
Yes , okay they could have invented words like gjhdkflsuy to describe an event but it wouldn't have made sense to create mumbo jumbo that know one could relate too....it would have just made it that more confusing...Why speak over someones head if your trying to teach people something unless you want to confuse them and the Devil is the author of confusion...where God is the Author of Wisdom and Truth albeit complex and hard to grasp.!  Even the pictographs, or heiroglyhics were consistent with there understanding as it relates to their culture. A drawing, or pictograph is a lot easier to explain because it is a visual concept as opposed to comprehending a literal one.
The thing is, the account in Genesis doesn't explain anything.  It doesn't talk about anything that we have evidence of actually happening.  Even given the possibility that they were 'dumbing it down' no human was made from the bone of another and the formation of the universe and the Earth and all things upon it weren't completed in six days by a logically impossible deity.

Quote:
For example if I told you i saw a ufo and described or even wrote about it it wouldn't have as much impact unless I drew you a picture to show you what I saw. Sure you could use your imagination. But I don't want you to create something that wasn't there in your own perception..in other words lean unto your own understanding, so I must convey the image on paprys, paper, stone whatever to explain visually what words alone could not articulate!
Except that hieroglyphs are logographs and phonemes and not necessarily one-to-one representations of everything.  For instance a word like 'idea' could not be depicted by an artist and be universally recognized, never mind the fact that it took a good deal of time before the hieroglyphs could be translated despite their apparent relation to things they looked like.  A duck followed by a certain marker means 'son', for instance.  Similarly are the characters in the Sino-Tibetan langauges loosely logographic and almost entirely phonetic.

The best way to get across a novel idea is by analogy.  The Genesis writers did use analogy.  Their analogies very clearly do not match what we know about the inception of the universe.  Again, no human was made from the bone of another and the formation of the universe and the Earth and all things upon it weren't completed in six days by a logically impossible deity, not even by analogy.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
User is offlineOffline
People who believe in god

People who believe in god sound eerily like people with Stockholm syndrome. God doesn't want you to get hurt by the things he's going to make happen to you but what choice does he have if you don't do everything god says?

Sure you might find the idea of compulsory love by pain of torture unsavoury, but god really is a sweet guy despite being an admittedly jealous genocidal maniac and face it , it's really your own fault for not being obedient enough. 

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BADWAY wrote: Well if your

BADWAY wrote:

Well if your an ape then your the prettiest ape I have ever seen....I guess that makes me ignorant and a Beastialist? don't think there such a word but you get what i mean....and Miss norton fan we all are ignorant for that means basically we don't know things and I'm okay with that but to assume your right because man said you should accept this as fact based on this principle is stupid. And I don't beleive because man said or even because the bible said I believe for other reasons that to you may be insignificant or passed off as being lucky but I suggest to you it is far deeper than that....if only you knew...if only you knew

You survived something you though you shouldn't have? A loved one survived something you thought they shouldn't have? Do you think we haven't heard this before?

Don't just say, "I have my reasons". You can if you want to stop there, but that does nothing for us or you in taking the conversation further. If you stop at "I have my reasons" you are wasting your time and ours.

What are your reasons?

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

BADWAY
Theist
BADWAY's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is real

So Brian....how's the free world out there buddy...

okay here we go again

So your telling me there is absolutely no way you could be wrong...you know the whole truth..the origin of the universe...I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me the origin of the first molecule before anything ever came into existence. Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock.

Right, so moving on the clock is ticking.

Giant brain with no body and magical powers...that is your belief in what God looks like....yo bro put down the comic books and sci fi novels, reality is over here...

Again the made up stories...so what is Solomons Temple a figment of my imagination that and about oh a 6 billion or so other peoples.

The Bible records coincides with archaeological proof that there was a Solomon, a King David, Moses, Abraham, Sodom and a Gomorrah, a great flood, and you have evidence to dispute what archaeologists  have uncovered.

someone said if horses had gods they would look like horses....hmm that's intelligent! seriously! and what about ants and spiders oooohh a spider god creepy....enough with the semantics really Brian that's what you got..really..someone said, no name... I could do that...heck I might have but then that's getting lazy in your argument to believe in whatever you cling to. Let me ask you this Brian...

Can you see air...not smoke, or vapors I mean can you see air? You can't see it but you know it exists, why? Because without it you'd die, right? Or is it because some scientist told you he discovered it so therefore it must exist because now it's proven that you need air to survive but you still can't see it. Yet, it still exists...nonetheless. So why can't God exist...just because you can't see him doesn't make it so..That's all I'm saying Brian.....goodnight!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
BADWAY wrote: So

BADWAY wrote:

So Brian....how's the free world out there buddy...

okay here we go again

So your telling me there is absolutely no way you could be wrong...you know the whole truth..the origin of the universe...I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me the origin of the first molecule before anything ever came into existence. Tick Tock, Tick Tock, Tick Tock.

Right, so moving on the clock is ticking.

Giant brain with no body and magical powers...that is your belief in what God looks like....yo bro put down the comic books and sci fi novels, reality is over here...

Again the made up stories...so what is Solomons Temple a figment of my imagination that and about oh a 6 billion or so other peoples.

The Bible records coincides with archaeological proof that there was a Solomon, a King David, Moses, Abraham, Sodom and a Gomorrah, a great flood, and you have evidence to dispute what archaeologists  have uncovered.

someone said if horses had gods they would look like horses....hmm that's intelligent! seriously! and what about ants and spiders oooohh a spider god creepy....enough with the semantics really Brian that's what you got..really..someone said, no name... I could do that...heck I might have but then that's getting lazy in your argument to believe in whatever you cling to. Let me ask you this Brian...

Can you see air...not smoke, or vapors I mean can you see air? You can't see it but you know it exists, why? Because without it you'd die, right? Or is it because some scientist told you he discovered it so therefore it must exist because now it's proven that you need air to survive but you still can't see it. Yet, it still exists...nonetheless. So why can't God exist...just because you can't see him doesn't make it so..That's all I'm saying Brian.....goodnight!

Before you go saying stupid crap about "air" I'd suggest you go pick up a science book, look up the word "atom", then molecule, then atmosphere if you don't know what "air" is. There are tons of 5th graders that know what "air" is.

You cant see the individual atoms in a molecule of two parts hydrogen and one part oxygen but you know what water is. H20

Do you have any other asinine questions you want to ask?

I can't see my DNA but I know what adenine, guanine, thymine  and cytosine are. Pick up a biology and chemistry  book and put down your comic book.

I cant see an individual ray of light, but I know a magical pixy didn't make it, any more than a god named Thor made lighting.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
BADWAY wrote:Hey

BADWAY wrote:

Hey gadfly....chew toy hunh...okay if that makes you feel better about your self....fine...haha

First of all I mentioned his uh Fallibility not infallibility get it straight.

Where he was fallible if you read his comment to which i was responding he made the error of contradicting himself...i suggest you go back and reread it unless he edited it...after i pointed out his contradictions. Either anything is possible or it is not and again you contradicted yourself...if it is possible a God can exist then why does the God of the bible can not....

Why not give me credit Thomathy did.....useless argument

Actually he didn't say no he didn't he said No. there was no justification in his statement. If he believes no then he would not conceive it to be plausible even for others...say what you mean guys or leave the debates to the professionals. Irritating that you get offended for comments you make and I point out your contradictions...I'm not mad you for blasting me with your pitiful attempts at sarcastic rhetoric but please stop being so juvenile..I would expect this from adolescents not grown educated adults.

I don't get a get out of Hell free card because i believe. I'm sure I'll pay for my sins one way or another...heck I may be doing that now here on Earth....but God can forgive you and deliver you but all he asks is to give yourself to Him..let Him be your shoulder to lean on...He loves you so much and it bothers me that you Can't get that....Jesus said I came not to judge the world but to save it...HELLO is anyone listening or reading....Does God hate murder yes, but not the murderer. If the Murderer won't repent for his sin or ask for forgiveness or to accept the Messiah as his savior then you would be condemned...and GOD DOES NOT WANT TO DO THAT...He is doing everything He can to salvage you but you wish to continue to rebel and be satanic with your attitude towards that you can't explain.

You don't kill someone and ask forgiveness then get saved and go out and kill again without fear of retribution...can one stumble yes but if you were truly saved you would not kill again but then that's why the Lord said judge not lest ye be judged for as you do so shall you be!

because we don't know why a person does what they do...was it out of self defense, falsely accused of a the crime, what? Only God knows your heart and it is upon that you will stand on judgement lest you have repented and accepted the Messiah as your Lord and Savior. He who drinks from this well will not thirst, he who eats of this bread shall not hunger. All have sinned and come short of the glory of God.....There are none righteous, no not one....So what does that tell you...it tells me that even Mother Theresa is in Danger of judgement just like Hitler...the difference is who accepted and believed before they left this world.

And by the way,gadfly....let the person I'm responding to answer for themselves and respond only to your posts....that's like letting an attorney speak for Mike Tyson because he can't articulate his own thought processes so he needs an interpreter of sorts...but thanks for playing! 

1.Just looking at Thomathy's teeth marks on you, son. I don't have feelings about you one way or the other.

2. You don't read what you write, do you? I know you didn't read anything Thomathy wrote - if you did you would have understood that he was only giving his opinion (you know, what you asked for). You misinterpreted what he wrote and he gets the blame?

3. I don't give credit to plagiarists - he's kinder than I am.

4. You don't read your bible either, I see. If you did you'd know how the writers made forgiveness work. I realize these are only the words of your Christ so they probably don't mean that much to you but reread Matthew 18:21-22 anyway. You'll see where I get the infinite forgiveness advantage that you guys have. Then again, if you follow Paul's Christianity you don't even have to worry about that because sin no longer applies to you.

All right, I'll let Thomathy keep handing you your hindparts. You've already shown me your don't know what you're talking about

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Look, many of us here, have

Look, many of us here, have had "experiences" we thought were real . I myself thought I had had in my childhood "outer body experiences".

One time I saw my dead grandmother standing at the foot of my bed. Another time I saw my dead father standing at the foot of my bed. Another time I saw my, STILL LIVE, mother standing at the foot of my bed. Another time I thought I was floating outside my body over the parking lot where I lived.

ALL that was REALLY GOING ON was my dream state mixing with my consciousness and my open eyes. It was all in my head. Not knowing anything at the time, it felt real, now that I know better, I know it was merely all in my head.

The brain is a powerful organ with electrochemical activity that can and often can fool us. I am sure your "experiences" felt real and I am sure you believe they were.

But this hiccup in our evolution is quite ordinary and mundane and hardly unique to you or our species.

We want you here, and I am NOT being sarcastic. But since I can only speak for myself. Maybe others are willing to pull punches with you. I don't. I hope you are brave enough to handle it. 

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
BADWAY wrote:Can you see

BADWAY wrote:

Wow, it's the classic, "can you see air" argument. I haven't bumped into this one for a while. It's almost as bad as Pascal's Wager.

- I can't see air, but I can feel it with my sense of touch. I can breathe it in and breathe it out. I can observe its effects. Which one of these things can you do with God?

- Why not smoke or vapors? Special pleading, perhaps? 'Air' is just a colloqial term for the gases in the Earth's atmosphere. Smoke and vapors are gases, and I can see those.

- I wouldn't use the phrase "because some scientist told you" because some of the people on this forum have science degrees. Yeah...

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
BADWAY wrote:Can you see

BADWAY wrote:
Can you see air...not smoke, or vapors I mean can you see air?

Hell yeah I can see air. Every time I look into the sky and see blue rather than the black of interstellar space, I see air. Every time I see a fuzzy outline of the horizon, I see air. Every time I see the refraction of a sail as it comes into port, I see air.

I see air all over the place, Bro. What, you short sighted or something? Can't see blue? They have doctors for that, y'know.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

BADWAY
Theist
BADWAY's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is real

Okay Thomathy I'm going to go slow for you. You do love to set them up so let me knock them down

First, ever heard the word sarcasm? A satirical remark in jest, to scorn. You speak like your an authority on the history of our existence so I merely responded that it was great to know that someone had all the answers. Especially without offering an answer to my question..what created the first molecule that begat as we know it the present day universe over a googlian years!

You stated I invented the myth of God and I replied I didn't invent anything

You said my imagination so I replied I created the Bible and everything else again...sarcastic

I did not make up this idea of God..but thanks for the props I guess...And sir you obviously believed in everything I mentioned except the great flood...however there is evidence that a flood at least 4 times the size of Isreal had occured about the same time as Noahs' story came about and also there were oyster clusters  apparently discovered atop the Andes Mountains.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070907150931.htm

and

http://www.allaboutcreation.org/the-flood.htm

You implied that you couldn't be wrong when I suggested is it possible we both could be wrong and you said no, that is to suggest one of us is absolutely right and I would think you are not referring to me so the only logical conclusion would be that your right and I am not, according to your words.

By the mere stance upon which you debate without merit and pass judgement against me for my belief constitutes an air of arrogance on your part among others.

Did i touch a nerve with the hermorphadite comment....sorry bro/sis whatever!

If there is good reason to believe that there is life on other planets then why do you contradict your statement with No. That is not a reading comprehension problem that is," an author of a thought which bewilders him, problem!"

Thomathy wrote: No, i don't believe in life on other planets, that is either lower, equal or higher than ourselves.(Then you say)It is possible there is life on other planets(hunh)however there is no real good reason to think so,(what)but I don't know (Can't comprehend)what you mean by lower, equal or higher.  Okay then any of you geniuses spot his contradictory statement. First he says he doesn't believe, then it's possible but yet there is no good reason to cause him to believe it...I got whiplash...that's a left right left turn. and as far as lower,equal or higher life forms if there is life on other planets..there may be living things that are lower than us(less advanced) or primitive, equal, or of same intelligence, likenesses or intelligence and higher being that which is greater than our present state of being excelling in intelligence, and so forth.

BTW Thomathy why is it where you are using some of my quotes they have above it Thomathy Wrote...just curious bro/sis whatever?

Now, I never said Thomathy that if your a non believer that your immoral or even unethical...can you show me where I even remotely suggested that..so please don't throw in things there I didn't say or imply..thank you..and as far as more moral than I you base this upon what. Do you feed or shelter the homeless or how often do you pay for someones meal when you know yourself that you can't afford to spend it. How can you make a claim of being more morally superior than anyone let alone me this isn't a contest. I'm not competing with you or against you..If your a genuinely good person then great! but don't confuse morality with being a Christian, there are some quite immoral Christians...I agree on that ,but still, my ethics over yours or vice versa is moot .

Oh Brother where art thou? You, Sir Thomathy of Forgetful land! You said that there was something possibly other universes or whatever before the Big Bang. I was going to the most infinitesimal point of our existence. But okay lets use the BBT as the starting point...then what started that...a key in the ignition...c'mon dude, cosmic gases...where did they come from a gas factory....what none of you scientific theorists can explain this so just do us all of favor and admit YOU DON'T KNOW....so why be so adamant about a theory you can't prove. I'm adamant about my belief not because of How we got here but what's more important is why we are here. That is the true question.

And all your quotes from wikipedia...albeit not a 100 percent reliable form of information...clearly mentions speculations and theories with no proof to support any of it and this is the best you can do....frankly, Thomathy I'd expect that from Brian or Bob but not you because your so perfect....oh yeah i was being sarcastic bro.....I wish we could all talk on the phone my fingers getting tired....but hey bro...no hard feelings..at some point I'll post my lil stories of why i believe in God for you all to read and dissect later...but there is nothing scientific about my experiences just things that happened in my life that reinforced my belief in a Higher power. until next time...ya know in a way i feel a kinship with you guys...kind of like a family so thanks for your bantering back n forth with me this has been fun for me and enlightening....

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
It seems to me that Badway

It seems to me that Badway does have a point, though he expressed it in-artfully. We can't directly sense every entity we uncontroversially claim exists; rather, we often infer that an entity exists after a long chain of complicated reasoning concerning both the observable and the unobservable. And, it seems to me, Badway is simply saying that we can conclude, 'God exists' in a similar way. This is, after all, the project of natural theology.

Now, it is no objection to protest, "But I can't perceive God," since there are sundry entities you can't perceive, e.g. bottom quarks. (If you want to counter with, "Sure, but we can perceive the effects of these theoretical entities," then you're begging the question concerning natural theology, which makes a similar claim. It will also not do to counter with appeals to testability or falsifiability, since it is decidedly not the case that every claim to knowledge must be testable or falsifiable -- especially claims with the ontological reach of, "God exists.") Also, it is no objection to claim, "But you can't *prove* God exists," since if proof is the standard, then we must throw out every discipline except logic and mathematics. And, contrary to what you read on popular level atheist websites, it's simply false to claim, "But there's no *evidence* for god's existence." If we take a proposition P as evidence E for conclusion C, then P counts as E for C just in case C is more plausibly true if P obtains then it is if not-P obtains. Given this conception of evidence -- and, given certain basic qualifications, e.g. evidence is always defeasible, etc. -- then obviously all sorts of phenomena count as evidence for God's existence.

So, as I read Badway, he was simply making a rather uncontroversial epistemic claim, one that is indeed easily justified if read charitably. And this last point is, I take it, the most important one: read the arguments of others charitably. Don't dismiss them with cliches and previously worked out responses to similar arguments; rather, give them their full force before acting like pit-bull with a -- what was it? -- oh, a "chew-toy." If you're not careful, you might find that some chew-toys bite back.

Edejardin

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
BADWAY wrote:  Okay

BADWAY wrote:

Okay Thomathy I'm going to go slow for you. You do love to set them up so let me knock them down

Oh, yeah, you've knocked so much down.  How's that for sarcasm?

Quote:
First, ever heard the word sarcasm? A satirical remark in jest, to scorn. You speak like your an authority on the history of our existence so I merely responded that it was great to know that someone had all the answers. Especially without offering an answer to my question..what created the first molecule that begat as we know it the present day universe over a googlian years!
It was not apparent that that was sarcasm.  I don't find it to be sarcasm still.  I believe that you are back tracking.

Quote:
You stated I invented the myth of God and I replied I didn't invent anything
I never stated any such thing.

Thomathy wrote:
You invent something that you believe in that explains things you otherwise wouldn't be able to.  That's not the same as looking at this figment of your imagination, seeing it as just that, and showing your belief the door.
The god-belief that you have is your own.  I have not said that you invented the myth of god.  There are many myths about many gods, incidentally.  I said that it is a figment of your imagination.  You have yet to respond adequately to that statement.  Do you have any way to show that your god exists that is permissible science and do you have a rigorous, coherent definition of your god?

Quote:
You said my imagination so I replied I created the Bible and everything else again...sarcastic
I don't see the sarcasm.

Quote:
I did not make up this idea of God..but thanks for the props I guess...And sir you obviously believed in everything I mentioned except the great flood...however there is evidence that a flood at least 4 times the size of Isreal had occured about the same time as Noahs' story came about and also there were oyster clusters  apparently discovered atop the Andes Mountains.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/09/070907150931.htm

and

http://www.allaboutcreation.org/the-flood.htm

The great flood claims to have covered the whole world, I believe.  Further, I am aware that what you believe in is strongly informed by the biblical character of god.  That does not change the fact that your god belief is your own invention and that it is a figment of your imagination.

Quote:
You implied that you couldn't be wrong when I suggested is it possible we both could be wrong and you said no, that is to suggest one of us is absolutely right and I would think you are not referring to me so the only logical conclusion would be that your right and I am not, according to your words.
I implied no such thing.  I am seriously doubting your ability to comprehend what you have read.

Thomathy wrote:
No.  I don't even know what that means.  You invent something that you believe in that explains things you otherwise wouldn't be able to.  That's not the same as looking at this figment of your imagination, seeing it as just that, and showing your belief the door.
Thomathy wrote:
Simply, your god-belief isn't in the category, if I am understanding what you wrote, of things that constitute complete truth.

If you weren't talking about god, which would be strange, I apologize.  Neither of us can have 'complete truth'.  That isn't accessible to anyone.  What we can have is reasonable certainty.  Regarding your god-belief I'll wait for you to show a rigorous, coherent definition of your god and to present to me valid reasoning and evidence or experiments which will show that it exists.  Until then, I take your claim by its merit and by yours.  I have no reason to trust that some thing you say exists that contradicts what any learned person can know does exist.  In short, I don't trust that your claim isn't just made up.  Please, don't respond with a fallacious argument from popularity.

Please, read what I write.

Quote:
By the mere stance upon which you debate without merit and pass judgement against me for my belief constitutes an air of arrogance on your part among others.
That barely makes any sense.  I have passed no judgment on you, except to conclude that you are a theist and that I cannot trust what you're telling me about this god that you believe in.

Quote:
Did i touch a nerve with the hermorphadite comment....sorry bro/sis whatever!
No.  You're spelling is still atrocious.

Quote:
If there is good reason to believe that there is life on other planets then why do you contradict your statement with No.
I never contradicted myself.  Please, read what I have written in response to you.

Thomathy wrote:
BADWAY wrote:
Do you believe in life on other planets either lower, equal or higher than ourselves?
No.  It's possible, of course.  There's actually good reason to think that other planets have life.  I don't know what you mean by 'lower, equal or higher,' though.

Thomathy wrote:
Thomathy wrote:
Thomathy wrote:
BADWAY wrote:
I asked is it possible for life on other planets,then you say "No. It's possible of course" which is it bro your more confusing than an hermorpadite on the dating game for ambiguous heterosexuals!!!
Never minding your unfunny sexism and poor spelling, I answered very clearly.  You asked a question.
The answer to that question is, 'No.' I then went on to say, in a separate thought, 'It's possible, of course.  There's actually good reason to think that other planets have life.  I don't know what you mean by 'lower, equal or higher,' though.'.  You have a reading comprehension problem.  I will make what I wrote easier for you to understand.
No, I don't believe that there is life on other planets that is, 'either lower, equal or higher than ourselves'.  It is possible that there is life on other planets, however, and there is good reason to think so, but I don't know what you mean by 'lower, equal or higher'.

Quote:
That is not a reading comprehension problem that is," an author of a thought which bewilders him, problem!"
I don't know what that means.

Quote:
Thomathy wrote: No, i don't believe in life on other planets, that is either lower, equal or higher than ourselves.(Then you say)It is possible there is life on other planets(hunh)however there is no real good reason to think so,(what)but I don't know (Can't comprehend)what you mean by lower, equal or higher.
You have fully misquoted me.  Is it so hard to comprehend?  I will write this out once more for you.

Thomathy wrote:
BADWAY wrote:
No, i don't believe in life on other planets, that is either lower, equal or higher than ourselves.
See?  I don't believe in life on other planets that is either lower, equal or higher than ourselves.  I also don't know what you mean by that.  Would you clarify what you mean by 'lower, equal or higher than ourselves'?

I then went on to say,

Thomathy wrote:
It is possible that there is life on other planets, however, and there is good reason to think so, but I don't know what you mean by 'lower, equal or higher'.
See?  I said there that there may be life on other planets, however (as in a part from this life which you asked about that is either 'lower, equal of higher than ourselves.'), and that there is good reason to think so, but (as in and) I don't know what you mean by 'lower, equal or higher than ourselves.'  I don't think I can make this any clearer.  I don't believe in life on other planets that is 'lower, equal or higher than ourselves' and I don't understand what you mean by that.  I do believe that it is possible that there is life on other planets and that there is good reason to think so.

Quote:
Okay then any of you geniuses spot his contradictory statement. First he says he doesn't believe, then it's possible but yet there is no good reason to cause him to believe it...I got whiplash...that's a left right left turn.
You can't read very well.

Quote:
and as far as lower,equal or higher life forms if there is life on other planets..there may be living things that are lower than us(less advanced) or primitive, equal, or of same intelligence, likenesses or intelligence and higher being that which is greater than our present state of being excelling in intelligence, and so forth.
Wow, you clarified what you meant.  Yeah, since it's possible that life exists on other planets, it figures that such life could either be less intelligent or more intelligent than us.  But that's not what you wrote, is it?  What you wrote is,

Quote:
You didn't ask about the possibility of life, you asked if I believed in it.  I don't.  I believe in the possibility of it.  You asked if I believe in it and that it is 'either lower, equal or higher than ourselves' and I don't because I don't know what you meant by that and because I don't directly believe in this supposed life itself, only in it's possibility.  Is it that hard to understand?

Quote:
BTW Thomathy why is it where you are using some of my quotes they have above it Thomathy Wrote...just curious bro/sis whatever?
I'm a male, BADWAY.  It's because sometimes when I'm quoting, I get the tags mixed up.  I'm sure you can tell your quotes from mine.  I'll endeavour not to make the mistake anymore.

Quote:
Now, I never said Thomathy that if your a non believer that your immoral or even unethical...can you show me where I even remotely suggested that..
It happens that I can.

Quote:
Meaning, you would rather go on living your life the way you see fit without reservation or reprimand, fear of answering to a higher authority than yourself so it it would be far easier to just deny God and His existence because that's a mental battle you don't want to be burdened with...in other words feeling guilty for doing something deemed morally unacceptable.
In there you have said, essentially, that I have denied this god of yours because it's a mental battle I don't want to be burdened with, so I won't feel guilty for doing something deemed morally unacceptable.  So, according to what you wrote, I would be immoral because I would be doing something morally unacceptable (immoral) and not feel guilty for it because I deny your god.  That means you have said that because I am a non-believer that I am immoral.  Can you follow your own lines of thought?

Quote:
so please don't throw in things there I didn't say or imply..thank you..
I won't and haven't.

Quote:
and as far as more moral than I you base this upon what.
I believe I spelled that out.

Thomathy wrote:
I don't need some imaginary higher authority to justify the good that I do and I don't need it to stop myself from doing things, which in this society and by the laws which govern my country are morally (but not necessarily morally) unacceptable.
See, I don't need a god to be good.  I can do it all on my own.  Could you be good without your god-belief?

Quote:
Do you feed or shelter the homeless or how often do you pay for someones meal when you know yourself that you can't afford to spend it. How can you make a claim of being more morally superior than anyone let alone me this isn't a contest. I'm not competing with you or against you..If your a genuinely good person then great! but don't confuse morality with being a Christian, there are some quite immoral Christians...I agree on that ,but still, my ethics over yours or vice versa is moot .
I don't know what you're talking about.  In regards to our motivation to be moral, I am more moral than you.  Presumably you're incentive to be moral is to get into heaven and presumably you believe that your god forgives you of all your sins (you can let me know if I'm wrong, if it matters).  My incentive to be moral is so that everyone and myself can live a happy life in the only life I believe exists.  I'm not working for a reward like yours where I get into heaven despite what I've done in life, I'm going to die and that will be the end.

Quote:
Oh Brother where art thou? You, Sir Thomathy of Forgetful land! You said that there was something possibly other universes or whatever before the Big Bang. I was going to the most infinitesimal point of our existence. But okay lets use the BBT as the starting point...then what started that...a key in the ignition...c'mon dude, cosmic gases...where did they come from a gas factory....what none of you scientific theorists can explain this so just do us all of favor and admit YOU DON'T KNOW....so why be so adamant about a theory you can't prove. I'm adamant about my belief not because of How we got here but what's more important is why we are here. That is the true question.
So, you decided not to read any of the information I posted or to do any research of your own?

Quote:
And all your quotes from wikipedia...albeit not a 100 percent reliable form of information...clearly mentions speculations and theories with no proof to support any of it and this is the best you can do....frankly, Thomathy I'd expect that from Brian or Bob but not you because your so perfect....oh yeah i was being sarcastic bro.....I wish we could all talk on the phone my fingers getting tired....but hey bro...no hard feelings..at some point I'll post my lil stories of why i believe in God for you all to read and dissect later...but there is nothing scientific about my experiences just things that happened in my life that reinforced my belief in a Higher power. until next time...ya know in a way i feel a kinship with you guys...kind of like a family so thanks for your bantering back n forth with me this has been fun for me and enlightening....
I won't be reading or responding to anything else you post.  You're intellectually dishonest and you have shown yourself to have no interest in investigating anything on your own. It is a struggle to have to repeat myself and clarify myself.  I have done it three times so far and you have yet to post a single (even meaningful) rebuttal to any of my original arguments or statements.  Please, share your anecdotes with everyone in your time.  I will tell you right now, that anecdotes are not in the least bit convincing.  You will only have reaffirmed that the god in which you believe is a god in which only you believe and for which you do not have any scientific evidence for.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

BADWAY
Theist
BADWAY's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is real

Well then buhbye Thomathy, I am tired of responding to a person who reedits his work to fit his argument or fail to "comprehend" anything I write unless I have to spell it out. Am I the most prolific writer, the answer is no! But I do believe my literal skills as far as poetry or lyrical songwriting or even telling a story in a descriptive manner would leave you in the proverbial intergalactic space dust from which you were derived. Chew on that 

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:I

BADWAY wrote:

Well then buhbye Thomathy, I am tired of responding to a person who reedits his work to fit his argument or fail to "comprehend" anything I write unless I have to spell it out. Am I the most prolific writer, the answer is no! But I do believe my literal skills as far as poetry or lyrical songwriting or even telling a story in a descriptive manner would leave you in the proverbial intergalactic space dust from which you were derived. Chew on that 

Let me just state that it is painful to read anything you write. You ramble on from one subject to another without ever addressing anything. In addition to this, you seem to be perceiving arguments that aren't there, and somehow think that other people are going back and editing things when as soon as you quote them, this forum does not allow that to happen.

Quite simply, you appear to be someone in need of medication. I am not trying to be rude, only helpful. I would suggest seeing a psychiatrist, and probably a psychologist as well.

After that, a course or two on logic and on literature would probably do you a great service. 

If you are trying to make a point in this thread, you are TERRIBLE at doing so. I believe I summed up your original post in a previous post, after deciphering it. If I am incorrect, feel free to correct me on that translation.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have seen projection, but

I have seen projection, but this could represent a case study for a psychology class.  I am stupefied.

BigUniverse wrote,

BADWAY
Theist
BADWAY's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is real

Meooooow,,,,Hey clock cat go chase a mouse! If you don't like reading my drivel then A. Don't read it! B. Don't respond to it! And the reason you can't have nice things is because either your poor, don't have a job, in jail or whatever....so go play in your litter box and cough up your fur ball ideology on someone else....jingle jingle now go play.....

And Thomathy, back already....geeesh. I thought I got rid of you...at least your not a man of your word as I suspected....glad to have ya back though.....I missed you.....it's been what, about 10, 20, 30 minutes...haha 

BADWAY
Theist
BADWAY's picture
User is offlineOffline
God is real

Oh yeah and you are stupefied just with out the 2 e's and f....ow..zing...zoom...love ya bro

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

BADWAY wrote:

Meooooow,,,,Hey clock cat go chase a mouse! If you don't like reading my drivel then A. Don't read it! B. Don't respond to it! And the reason you can't have nice things is because either your poor, don't have a job, in jail or whatever....so go play in your litter box and cough up your fur ball ideology on someone else....jingle jingle now go play.....

And Thomathy, back already....geeesh. I thought I got rid of you...at least your not a man of your word as I suspected....glad to have ya back though.....I missed you.....it's been what, about 10, 20, 30 minutes...haha 

So..much...fail...at..once...

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

BADWAY wrote:

Oh yeah and you are stupefied just with out the 2 e's and f....ow..zing...zoom...love ya bro

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat

ClockCat wrote:
So..much...fail...at..once...
It's hard to take in, ClockCat.  He still can't even read a simple sentence.  Since he's obviously still looking at this thread and in case anyone who comes in cares to note:

Quote:
I won't be reading or responding to anything else you post.
Curiosity got the best of me, I have read BADWAY's posts.  I've read enough to realise further that this isn't a person interested in any kind of intellectual exchange with anyone and who lacks the integrity to keep a conversation above insults.  This is a person who engages his interlocutor with confusing babble and doesn't read thoughtful responses and responds largely with non sequiturs and base, personal attacks.  Don't feed the troll.

BigUniverse wrote,

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Forgive me if i miss the

Forgive me if i miss the subtilties of this thread as i haven't read it but

No he is not.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
edejardin wrote:(If you want

edejardin wrote:
(If you want to counter with, "Sure, but we can perceive the effects of these theoretical entities," then you're begging the question concerning natural theology, which makes a similar claim. It will also not do to counter with appeals to testability or falsifiability, since it is decidedly not the case that every claim to knowledge must be testable or falsifiable -- especially claims with the ontological reach of, "God exists." )

The claim "God exists" has no ontological reach. The very concept of god is epistemically unsound. Natural theology itself has not presented an epistemology distinct from that of science, and uses outmoded arguments such as "teleology" and variations on the cosmological argument, both of which deviate from the very epistemology to which it claims to adhere. Natural theology is essentially one long argument from ignorance, spiced liberally with awe and incredulity.

Then there's the question of the proposed ontology. So far, I have yet to see a definition or description of god that is both complete and coherent. Until you can present a coherent, clear set of propositions, you have no ontology.

Quote:
Also, it is no objection to claim, "But you can't *prove* God exists," since if proof is the standard, then we must throw out every discipline except logic and mathematics. And, contrary to what you read on popular level atheist websites, it's simply false to claim, "But there's no *evidence* for god's existence." If we take a proposition P as evidence E for conclusion C, then P counts as E for C just in case C is more plausibly true if P obtains then it is if not-P obtains. Given this conception of evidence -- and, given certain basic qualifications, e.g. evidence is always defeasible, etc. -- then obviously all sorts of phenomena count as evidence for God's existence.

"Obviously" all sorts of phenomena count as evidence for God's existence? Really? You've given a logical construction, but glossed over any evidence with "obviously." In fact, there is nothing presented that counts as evidence for god. Much is presented as evidence of our ignorance (cosmogenesis and abiogenesis, as two examples that are often trotted out by theists). However, evidence for ignorance does not constitute evidence for god, in any logical construction, especially ones that count propositions as evidence (a somewhat naive view).

Give one example of evidence for god that is not an appeal to ignorance, or argument from incredulity. I would even accept a simple description or example of what would constitute evidence for god.

Quote:
So, as I read Badway, he was simply making a rather uncontroversial epistemic claim, one that is indeed easily justified if read charitably. And this last point is, I take it, the most important one: read the arguments of others charitably. Don't dismiss them with cliches and previously worked out responses to similar arguments; rather, give them their full force before acting like pit-bull with a -- what was it? -- oh, a "chew-toy." If you're not careful, you might find that some chew-toys bite back.

There is no justified epistemic claim for god. That's the problem. The instant you introduce god, you lose all known epistemology. As god is omnipotent (one of the few attributes most monotheistic religions agree on these days), you lose all naturalistic philosophy, and are left with theistic philosophy, and a revelation-based epistemology. The only possible source of actual knowledge is god, so you must know the basic attributes of god before you can build any knowledge.

The reason we know bottom quarks exist, or at least the reason we know the mathematical model that employs quarks is a reasonable ontological model, is because the model made predictions that were later observed as true. The epistemology used to determine the accuracy of the quark model has been verified because it is able to map future knowledge. (Note here how the prediction is not evidence of the model; the prediction is a testable truth statement that describes the minimum prerequisites for what would constitute evidence.)

My puppies have chew-toys that squeak. They don't really bite back, though -- they just make a lot of random noises.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Tapey, I always think you are trying to trade fish when I read your avatar.

I know it's WTFish, but I always read WT FISH

Nordmann
atheist
Nordmann's picture
User is offlineOffline
Badway, are you capable of

Badway, are you capable of stating your position avoiding assertion and irrelevant comment?

If you are, then you will avoid what you see as misunderstandings on others' behalf concerning your statements. You will also at least have attempted to demonstrate a validity for your views. Around here "something is, 'cause I believe it is" doesn't hold much water as an argument. A person who truly valued the truth in their assertions would demonstrate why they deserve such adherence, not just goad or bicker with others who quite naturally cannot see why they should respect an opinion of yours which you apparently don't respect much yourself.

Of course, if you're not capable of avoiding unfounded or unprovable assertive claims then you're just another one of the many deluded people, and contributing to debate regarding the validity of your assertions is as pointless as discussing the contribution of toothpicks to renaissance art. In fact it's a bigger waste of time for you even than it is for us, since at least our commentary is pregnated with facts which challenge the truth you claim is somewhere to be found in your assertions, while yours is simple assertion after assertion and ... well, nothing else. A neutral reader of both, I imagine, will have no difficulty in deciding which of us is ignorantly deluded and which at least attempt intelligent inquiry.

See if you can do it.

I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: Tapey, I

ClockCat wrote:

Tapey, I always think you are trying to trade fish when I read your avatar.

I know it's WTFish, but I always read WT FISH

hehe thats probably because i made a hash job of editing the origanal avatar.... Trading fish is better tbh

btw here is the orginal, far to gay for anyone to use, so i tried improving it... i failed  

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Tapey wrote:

far to gay for anyone to use

/smack

You deserved that. Now think about what you have done.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Tapey

ClockCat wrote:

Tapey wrote:

/smack

hangs head in shame

but im sure you are aware of things called expressions... expessially well placed expressions poking a little harmless fun

now i head off to sensitivity training

All animals are equal.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Tapey wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Tapey wrote:

/smack

hangs head in shame

but im sure you are aware of things called expressions... expessially well placed expressions poking a little harmless fun

now i head off to sensitivity training

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Sadly, the grammar mistake is just as much, if not more bothersome in my mind than using gay as a pejorative.

It keeps needling at me every time I look at it.

I don't know what this says about me.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
It is far to gay.  When I

It is far to gay.  When I looked back I was a long way from where I came.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sorry i abused your cat  

Sorry i abused your cat

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:O!!!

Thomathy wrote:

#%Y#G% YOU DID THAT ON PURPOSE!

I know you did... ;_;

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Tapey wrote:

Sorry i abused your cat

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey, ClockCat,This is my

Tapey, ClockCat,

This is my favorite thread ever. Thanks.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Thomathy

ClockCat wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

I know you did... ;_;

It is far to gay.  As in, it's a long distance to gay.  As in gay is a place or destination.  :P  It's so FUNNY!

BigUniverse wrote,

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
edejardin wrote:It seems to

edejardin wrote:
It seems to me that Badway does have a point, though he expressed it in-artfully. We can't directly sense every entity we uncontroversially claim exists; rather, we often infer that an entity exists after a long chain of complicated reasoning concerning both the observable and the unobservable. And, it seems to me, Badway is simply saying that we can conclude, 'God exists' in a similar way. This is, after all, the project of natural theology.

Now, it is no objection to protest, "But I can't perceive God," since there are sundry entities you can't perceive, e.g. bottom quarks. (If you want to counter with, "Sure, but we can perceive the effects of these theoretical entities," then you're begging the question concerning natural theology, which makes a similar claim. It will also not do to counter with appeals to testability or falsifiability, since it is decidedly not the case that every claim to knowledge must be testable or falsifiable -- especially claims with the ontological reach of, "God exists.&quotEye-wink Also, it is no objection to claim, "But you can't *prove* God exists," since if proof is the standard, then we must throw out every discipline except logic and mathematics. And, contrary to what you read on popular level atheist websites, it's simply false to claim, "But there's no *evidence* for god's existence." If we take a proposition P as evidence E for conclusion C, then P counts as E for C just in case C is more plausibly true if P obtains then it is if not-P obtains. Given this conception of evidence -- and, given certain basic qualifications, e.g. evidence is always defeasible, etc. -- then obviously all sorts of phenomena count as evidence for God's existence.

You are right that many entities can be defined such that it is impossible to directly perceive them, even if they did exist. However, if an entity is defined such that its perception would be fairly ubiquitous, then the lack-of-perception argument would deal a great amount of damage to the credibility of the opposing position. If P, then probably Q; not-Q; therefore, probably not-P. Many nontheists argue that, for instance, Fundamentalist Christians have defined their god in such a way that probable perception is entailed, so the lack of perception entails that there is no god as they have defined the term. They do not make such an argument when the god is defined in an opposite way, where probable perception is not entailed, such as how Deists and Panentheists define the term. For the lack-of-perception argument to be successfully countered, one must define God (intelligibly and coherently) and then proceed to show that the definition does not entail probable perception.

You are also right that someone would be begging the question concerning natural theology if they hold to the simplistic notion that perceiving the alleged effects of something is evidence that such a thing exists, but nontheists generally do not employ such a simplistic notion of evidence. The most common argument, though perhaps not phrased this way, is that conscious-origination and nonconscious-origination can both be construed to equally entail the perceptions, which means that the perceptions count as evidence for a god no more than they count for evidence against gods, which entails that, all else being equal, we are not justified in straying from agnosticism. (If you're not aware, most atheists are actually "negative atheists" who embrace agnosticism.) This response is also adequate to deal with your last two sentences.

And for that which is between, you are also right that the "you cannot prove such-and-such" arguments entail that we should throw out every discipline except logic and mathematics, but you are interpreting their statements too literally. You should keep in mind that your education in the principles of critical thought can itself be applied uncritically, causing you to miss the point of statements that are not meant to be taken at face value, which is what has happened here. They are saying, not that you cannot construct a deductive argument that establishes beyond any further possibility of doubt or refutation that a god exists, though that is implied by what they are saying, but that you cannot even establish that conscious-origination is substantially more probable than nonconscious-origination, and, by allusion, they are saying that, all else being equal, no one in the discussion is justified in straying from agnosticism, hence the reason they do not stray from it and they believe that you should not stray from it.

Your arguments, though fairly reasonable, completely miss the mark.

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:ClockCat

Thomathy wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

I know you did... ;_;

It is far to gay.  As in, it's a long distance to gay.  As in gay is a place or destination.  :P  It's so FUNNY!

All animals are equal.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline

Thomathy wrote:

ClockCat wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

I know you did... ;_;

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
"The claim "God exists" has

"The claim "God exists" has no ontological reach."

Huh? First, it's important to keep in mind the precise formulation of my point, which concerned the ontological reach of the proposition (claim), "God exists." If we think about God as classical theists for centuries have, then God is the purely actual ground of all being, i.e. God is broader conceptually than the broadest concept we have, viz. 'existence.' Now, if a concept ground existence it's surely ontological, and if it's conceptually broader than existence, it has the greatest possible ontological reach. (Remember this point: It will come up later in this post.)

"The very concept of god is epistemically unsound."

Do you have an actual argument for this claim? (N.B. What you wrote after it does not constitute an argument. I mean one of those pesky thingies with, like, premises and conclusions and stuff.)

"Natural theology itself has not presented an epistemology distinct from that of science, and uses outmoded arguments such as "teleology" and variations on the cosmological argument, both of which deviate from the very epistemology to which it claims to adhere. Natural theology is essentially one long argument from ignorance, spiced liberally with awe and incredulity."

Again, Huh? First, it's not at all contradictory for X to be both outmoded and true, so I'm not sure what logical contribution you intended this display of chronological snobbery to make. That aside, I have a conceptual correction and a factual correction to make.

Let's start with the conceptual correction. Arguments for God's existence in natural theology are generally categorized as 'metaphysical arguments.' Now, metaphysical arguments by their nature posses properties of both inductive and deductive arguments. Inductively, because they use empirically supported premises, e.g. "Some things change" or "The universe began to exist." Deductively, because they reason in a deductive manner from the conceptual content of these empirical premises to their conclusions. So, it is decidedly not the case that natural theology approaches its questions with the same epistemology as science does. Indeed, it is this 'philo 101' error on your part that informs the factual correction I can now make, for it is only by misconceiving the nature of metaphysical arguments, and construing them as 'scientific' arguments, that one could possibly conclude that "natural theology is essentially one long argument from ignorance, spiced liberally with awe and incredulity."

"So far, I have yet to see a definition or description of god that is both complete and coherent."

Perhaps that's because there is no such thing as a complete and coherent description of anything. Do you have a *complete* and coherent description of 'matter' or 'time'? (You don't have to answer that, since we both know that you don't.) So, perhaps your standards are just a wee bit too high here. (Incidentally, this is a *common* error those new to philosophy make, to wit setting the bar too high for philosophical arguments. I usually explain it to beginners with a question: Can you provide an argument for your most deeply held political positions -- some of which you'd most likely be willing to give your life to uphold -- that's stronger than, say, the much maligned Kalam cosmological argument? Chew that for a bit, and you'll see that it's not even close: the Kalam argument wins by a huge margin. Now consider what implications this has for assessing the merits philosophical arguments in general.)

"Until you can present a coherent, clear set of propositions, you have no ontology."

Now is where we get to that point I asked you to remember earlier, i.e. concerning the ontological reach of the concept of God. Here's a nice way to think about it: I can more clearly define *this* Abyssinian cat than I can 'Abyssinian cat.' And, I can more clearly define 'Abyssinian cat' than I can 'cat.' We could go on: I can more clearly define 'cat' than I can 'felidae,' and I can more clearly define 'felidae' than I can 'animal.' We could go on further: I can more clearly define 'animal' than I can 'living thing,' and I can more clearly define 'living thing' than I can 'thing.' So, what's the lesson? Clearly, the broader the ontological reach of the concept, the less we can say about it. Now, 'god' is conceptually broader than 'existence' itself, and some philosophers argue that we can only provide an ostensive definition of existence (e.g. a sweep of the hand, as if to say "All this"); so, I'll tell you what: you provide me with the best definition of existence you can, and I'll provide you with the classical conception of god. You'll see that my definition is quite clear and coherent, especially when considered alongside your concept of existence, which is narrower in scope and hence more easily defined with clarity. (Again, remember how important it is to understand that how high or low the bar is to be set is largely determined by what else is in the neighborhood, whether in terms of concepts or arguments.)

"You've given a logical construction, but glossed over any evidence with "obviously." In fact, there is nothing presented that counts as evidence for god."

Really? Remember how evidence is to be understood: "If we take a proposition P as evidence E for conclusion C, then P counts as E for C just in case C is more plausibly true if P obtains then it is if not-P obtains." Now, here's an exercise: Can you think of a possible world close to ours in modal space with properties such that it is less likely, given a comparison of its properties with the actual world's properties, that god exists? Seems pretty easy to me. But, if you can do so, then it follows, given my analysis of what it means for P to count as evidence for C, that we do have evidence for God's existence. So, would you claim that there is no such possible world (i.e. in which it would be less likely than it is in the actual world, given its properties, that god exists)?

"The instant you introduce god, you lose all known epistemology. As god is omnipotent (one of the few attributes most monotheistic religions agree on these days), you lose all naturalistic philosophy, and are left with theistic philosophy, and a revelation-based epistemology. The only possible source of actual knowledge is god, so you must know the basic attributes of god before you can build any knowledge."

This is a rather gaping non sequitur, since it completely ignores secondary causation. It is entirely consistent to posit an omnipotent god who (1) sustains the universe in being at each moment as the ground of being, and (2) is the primary cause of a world that now runs according to laws he established (secondary causation) and which we, as rational beings created in his image (in terms of will and intellect), can come to know through the scientific method. That aside, even if it were the case that God's revelation were the only source of knowledge, it wouldn't in any way follow that we would have to know god's attributes prior to knowing that P.

"The reason we know bottom quarks exist, or at least the reason we know the mathematical model that employs quarks is a reasonable ontological model, is because the model made predictions that were later observed as true."

Sure, but you seem to have missed my point, or rather what I took to be Badway's point: we move from the observable to the unobservable -- indeed, to the even in principle unobservable -- all the time by way of reasonable inferences. And, I would add, we decidedly do not only do so with models that make testable predictions. We can see this historically, where for example we infer that it's reasonable to believe that Rome had an early regal period on the basis of centuries later writings alone. We have no evidence besides this much later testimony, and though we may someday come across some archaeological evidence supporting the factuality of an early regal period (a test), the point is that even if we never do or never can (e.g. suppose the evidence is all dust now, or that it was taken and destroyed by aliens, etc.), we're still justified in drawing this inference. Testability may be a sufficient condition of knowledge in many areas, but it's certain not a necessary condition in all areas.

Sorry for the long post, but you raised some good points that I felt obligated to address.

Edejardin

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Don't stop!

This is one of the most entertaining threads EVER!

Visual_Paradox
atheistRational VIP!Special Agent
Visual_Paradox's picture
User is offlineOffline
Something more conceptually

Something more conceptually broad than existence? Why don't you just say what you really mean, that it does not exist?

Stultior stulto fuisti, qui tabellis crederes!

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
"However, if an entity is

"However, if an entity is defined such that its perception would be fairly ubiquitous, then the lack-of-perception argument would deal a great amount of damage to the credibility of the opposing position."

I agree, but I don't know anyone except the most ignorant fundamentalists -- or the most ignorant atheists -- who define God in such a way that we would expect to *perceive* him.

"Fundamentalist Christians have defined their god in such a way that probable perception is entailed, so the lack of perception entails that there is no god as they have defined the term."

I'm not one for defending fundamentalists, but this doesn't follow. You seem to have confused an undercutting defeater for a rebutting defeater (a mistake you didn't make in the comment I quoted first above).

"The most common argument, though perhaps not phrased this way, is that conscious-origination and nonconscious-origination can both be construed to equally entail the perceptions, which means that the perceptions count as evidence for a god no more than they count for evidence against gods, which entails that, all else being equal, we are not justified in straying from agnosticism."

Given the metaphysical nature of the arguments from natural theology, I don't agree with this (see my last post in response to NigelTheBold). That is, you seem to be saying that metaphysical arguments and scientific arguments are in competition with one another, and that at best, they equally explain the data. However, the arguments are simply different in kind, such that good metaphysical arguments in no way contradict nor compete with scientific explanations.

"(If you're not aware, most atheists are actually "negative atheists" who embrace agnosticism.)"

Well, yes and no. In my experience, most atheists start off a discussion claiming to be negative atheists, but you can usually tell after a few exchanges that they're in fact positive atheists, at least with respect to Christianity (as they understand it, of course). But, that aside, I have some problems with negative atheism. Personally, I think the whole concept is a conceptual muddle, but I won't get into that unless you ask.

"They are saying, not that you cannot construct a deductive argument that establishes beyond any further possibility of doubt or refutation that a god exists, though that is implied by what they are saying, but that you cannot even establish that conscious-origination is substantially more probable than nonconscious-origination, and, by allusion, they are saying that, all else being equal, no one in the discussion is justified in straying from agnosticism, hence the reason they do not stray from it and they believe that you should not stray from it."

Again, I agree and disagree. What you say about the acceptation of terms like 'proof' is surely true, but the problem with using these terms ambiguously is that the criteria inevitably shift during a discussion, so that what is reasonable is no longer good enough if it's in principle defeasible. I try to be rigorous in my use of terms to stave off this confusion, but I take your point, and in the future should first ask others to clarify just how they're using the term, though I'll surely then be met with charges of obscurantism and of making things too complicated. Eye-wink

Edejardin

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Because to say 'X does not

Because to say 'X does not exist' is ambiguous. Given the acceptation of 'does not exist,' it means one thing, but in terms of apophatic theology, it means something else entirely. That is, in the former sense it means 'less than' existence, while in the latter sense it means 'more than' existence.

Edejardin

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
edejardin wrote:Because to

edejardin wrote:
Because to say 'X does not exist' is ambiguous. Given the acceptation of 'does not exist,' it means one thing, but in terms of apophatic theology, it means something else entirely. That is, in the former sense it means 'less than' existence, while in the latter sense it means 'more than' existence.

But to say "God exists" is also ambiguous, as you have not yet presented a description or definition of god that is unambiguous. That is why god has no ontological reach; there is no ontological definition of god, except (as you stated above) "all of existence." If you propose a god that is greater than existence, you must define what is "greater than existence," or you are attempting to prove something that is not defined.

Essentially, your arguments are nothing more than renaming existence as "god."

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
edejardin wrote:Because to

edejardin wrote:

Interesting.

If we described anything else in terms of what it is not, people would ask, "Ok, but what is it?"

But with God, a negative definition is supposed to have more value - telling me what God isn't is more important than telling me what he is?

That's usually why many here qualify it as "the Abrahamic God described in the holy books of Christianity, Judaism and Islam doesn't exist".

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Essentially, your arguments

"Essentially, your arguments are nothing more than renaming existence as "god.""

Not at all; I'm not a pantheist. As I said, God is the ground of being; I didn't say that god is existence.

"But to say "God exists" is also ambiguous, as you have not yet presented a description or definition of god that is unambiguous."

Well, I certainly have presented a rough description that is unambiguous: I said that god is the purely actual ground of being. Now, given the identity of indiscernibles, there can be only one purely actual being, since there are no properties that could be adduced to distinguish pure act from pure act; hence, pure act is necessarily 'one,' and my rough description cannot, by definition, be ambiguous (since ambiguity requires two possible interpretations). However, as I said about the very nature of the concept of God, we must keep it in perspective if we are to assess rationally any definitions or descriptions. That's why I asked you to define a narrower term, viz. existence. We shouldn't expect a more precise definition of God than we should of existence, so, once you provide your definition of existence, we can see if my definition of God is is adequately clear and coherent by comparison.

Edejardin

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
"If we described anything

"If we described anything else in terms of what it is not, people would ask, "Ok, but what is it?""

Right, but my point here is that while it's technically accurate to say, "God does not exist," since we can only predicate properties of God analogously (leaving aside arguendo the whole issue of whether existence is an attribute), it's misleading to those who don't understand the distinctions that obtain among univocality, equivocality and analogy. However, I didn't in any sense claim that we can only speak negatively about God: as I said, we could roughly describe or define God as the purely actual ground of being. I introduced apophaticity to clarify the context in which the term 'existence' could be predicated of God.

Edejardin

edejardin
Theist
edejardin's picture
User is offlineOffline
As a courtesy I'm letting

As a courtesy I'm letting everyone know that I must be going now. However, I'll check back when I get a chance to respond to any questions, arguments, etc. However, if I come back and find a large number of responses, please understand if I restrict myself to responding to what I judge to be the strongest posts. Thanks all for the interesting, courteous and fun conversation so far.

Edejardin