Parents pray, 11 yr old daughter dies of diabetes

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Parents pray, 11 yr old daughter dies of diabetes

And the fucking judge lets them off with a month in jail..... These people should be put away for life before they kill their other 2 children.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/06/national/main5367848.shtml

Medievalguy
Medievalguy's picture
User is offlineOffline
* make that 6 months, but

* make that 6 months, but still, not nearly long enough

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
1. It's likely that the

1. It's likely that the judge didn't want their fundie friends to come after him but couldn't brnig himself to let them go scot free for negligent homicide.

2. Goes to show the value of life in some Christians' eyes. theyll do anything for the kid as long as it's still in the womb but once the kid's out all bets are off.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Quote from the article :

Quote from the article : Here's what the dad had to say for himself.

"I am guilty of trusting my Lord's wisdom completely. ... Guilty of asking for heavenly intervention. Guilty of following Jesus Christ when the whole world does not understand. Guilty of obeying my God," he said.

Gee, great excuse. Sounds familiar somehow...

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 {Dons Pineapple Hat}But

{Dons Pineapple Hat}

But without religion, these people would have spontaneously developed the desire to not take their children to the doctor.  The religion is just an expression of what they already wanted to do.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Silly_Mommy
BloggerSuperfan
User is offlineOffline
 I frequent a popular

I frequent a popular parenting website's message board on a daily basis, and we're always discussing these articles when they come up. It gets rather heated in there with a bunch of hormonal women (some pregnant too!) to the point that some even feel these parents should face death.

As for me, especially being non-religious, I have no sympathy for them. I try not to think about their child too much when talking about these type threads because it's just far too many thoughts to handle having my own child. I really could care less what happens to them, but they don't deserve to be out of jail... EVER. And those other kids need to go into protective services. If they prayed over one, they'll pray over the others. Even a basic high fever that kids can easily come down with during an illness can cause brain damage if not medically treated correctly. But nooo, Jesus saves. Well... sometimes I guess. *rolls eyes*

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
From religious tolerance.org

From religious tolerance.org :

U.S. death toll among infants and children: In 1998-APR, Dr. Seth Asser, a critical-care pediatrician at Methodist Children's Hospital in San Antonio, and Rita Swan, head of the advocacy group Children's Healthcare is a Legal Duty (CHILD) authored a paper in the professional journal Pediatrics. Asser studied 172 reported deaths of infants and children between 1975 and 1995. Deaths were found in 34 states among members of 23 religious groups. They belonged to families of Christian Scientist, Faith Tabernacle, Faith Assembly and several other religious groups that practice faith healing. He compared the cause of death with the expected survival rates if the children had received routine medical care. They found:

bullet140 children would have had a 90% chance of surviving if they had been treated medically
bullet18 children would have had a 50 to 90% chance of surviving
bullet11 children would have received some benefits from medical care
bullet3 would not have been helped from medical care

Many of the conditions and diseases that killed the 172 children were "ordinary ailments seen and treated routinely" e.g. appendicitis, labor complications, dehydration, antibiotic-sensitive bacterial infections and vaccine-preventable disorders. They cited cases in which:

bulletA 2 year old child choked on a piece of banana and died an hour later, while her parents frantically gathered other church members into a circle to pray.
bulletChildren with an infection who would have been saved with a single injection of penicillin.
bulletBabies who would have lived if they received oxygen.
bulletFive mothers died from relatively common and treatable complications during labor.
bulletSeveral children died after long periods of terribly painful suffering. 5,6

gnat
gnat's picture
User is offlineOffline
the judge told them to sit

the judge told them to sit in jail.. one month a year, for six years to "think about" their daughter and what god's plans are now??? you gotta be kidding. kill them and take the judge off the bench... i don't like sharing the planet with idiots.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my humble opinion, jail

In my humble opinion, jail is pointless in every possible way. A far more fitting solution is to take their kids away from their abusive hands forever. And any others they might pop out in the future. Justice, prevention, and a dose of punishment as the side dish.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
What would jail do? These

What would jail do? These people clearly aren't bad in anyway. I'm sure they prayed their hardest day and night. The  problem here is that they just happen to be bat fucking insane and delusional. Also, where is the priest that told them to do this. Shouldn't have be charged with malpractice and operating without a license.

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: {Dons

Hambydammit wrote:

{Dons Pineapple Hat}

But without religion, these people would have spontaneously developed the desire to not take their children to the doctor.  The religion is just an expression of what they already wanted to do.

{Dons non-sarcastic Pineapple Hat}

This stuff is incredibly rare though.  The percentage of Americans who cause harm to their children in the name of extreme religion is probably outweighed by the number of people who use religion to fight off similar mental breakdowns that have their roots in non-religious thought.

{Pineapple Hat Off}

That is messed up.  The dad's quote makes it sound like he still thinks he did the right thing.  If his children have not already been taken (they probably have been) then it needs to happen immediately.  What a nut job.  I also agree that whatever community these people belonged to should be investigated to make sure that type of thinking is not wide spread.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

GreyhoundMama
GreyhoundMama's picture
User is offlineOffline
These kind of people drive

These kind of people drive me stark raving mad! I have cousins who had two seriously handicapped children, and were told they had a huge chance of having another. They got pregnant anyway, trusting to god that it would all work out. Guess what? Another child needed 100% care with absolutely no quality of life. Basically three vegetables. How's that for pro-life. Sad

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, a friend told me to turn away from medical science, saying they were butchers. That I should pray for health. Right. I was stage 2, and with surgery, chemo and radiation, I have over a 90% chance of never facing it again. My doctor can quote many cases of people who prayed until it got too bad for medical science to fix. Those people all died.

The stupid thing, to me, is that an occasional, rare, case of spontaneous healing makes these nutsos think that it'll always work. It's got nothing to do with a god. Simply luck, or a strong immune system.

I don't know what to do with parents like these, but I sure wish they wouldn't continue breeding.

Karen and her hounds
creating art ~ creating a new life

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
GreyhoundMama wrote:These

GreyhoundMama wrote:

These kind of people drive me stark raving mad! I have cousins who had two seriously handicapped children, and were told they had a huge chance of having another. They got pregnant anyway, trusting to god that it would all work out. Guess what? Another child needed 100% care with absolutely no quality of life. Basically three vegetables. How's that for pro-life. Sad

When I was diagnosed with breast cancer, a friend told me to turn away from medical science, saying they were butchers. That I should pray for health. Right. I was stage 2, and with surgery, chemo and radiation, I have over a 90% chance of never facing it again. My doctor can quote many cases of people who prayed until it got too bad for medical science to fix. Those people all died.

The stupid thing, to me, is that an occasional, rare, case of spontaneous healing makes these nutsos think that it'll always work. It's got nothing to do with a god. Simply luck, or a strong immune system.

I don't know what to do with parents like these, but I sure wish they wouldn't continue breeding.

Drives me nuts too.  If there is a good chance of genetic abnormality, I don't see any justification for not just adopting.  Plenty of kids need good parents, and the world does not need more poor bastards who are nothing but drooling husks.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Religion poisons everything

This is such a tragedy,it reminds me of what Christopher Hitchens said "Religion Poison's Everything"The world would be a saner place if religion never existed.

Signature ? How ?