Coming out

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Coming out

After reading Thomas' blog entry and Kevin calling me biased due to my apperent Theism, I'll just say he's wrong, because I'm not one anymore, and haven't been one since my other topic.

The reason I didn't answer when Hamby asked point blank is because I don't want to be associated with the irrational arguments that most atheists use in regards to religion. I was pretty much thinking "These are the arguments I have to make?"

Not to mention those who don't hold to those arguments, are immediatly under suspicion.

Which goes in line with comment I left on his [Thomas'] blog

I wrote:

I agree and this is a good point.

Many people seem to equate “being an atheist” with “being ego-tistical and having to belittle others”

I feel it has gotten to a point where former Theists won’t even come out and declare their atheism, especially when they hold the view that you expressed here.

I've always liked Thomas [Rook], and I feel his approach here was much more rational and constructive than other atheist blogs I've seen.


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:The reason I didn't

 

Quote:
The reason I didn't answer when Hamby asked point blank is because I don't want to be associated with the irrational arguments that most atheists use in regards to religion. I was pretty much thinking "These are the arguments I have to make?"

Meh.  You know I've thought of you as an atheist in hiding since you gave up trying to defend your quantum-computer god.

I hope you'll admit that the one thing I constantly say about atheism is that it doesn't say a damn thing about what you do believe.  I've always been one of the loudest voices saying that atheists don't (and probably shouldn't) agree on most things -- that the whole point of being a freethinker is to use the scientific method and logic as well as you can with the information you have.

Did you see my post on Cult of Personality and the scientific method?  I think while you and I disagree rather stridently on religious belief's place in the universe, the one thing we can agree on is that we each think we're using science and reason to come to the most logical conclusion.  That's what debate and persuasion are all about, right?

 

 

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Congrats Pineapple! 

Congrats Pineapple!  Welcome to the light side.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Conor Wilson
Posts: 451
Joined: 2008-01-07
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:

"Congrats Pineapple!  Welcome to the light side."

 

Me: I'll second that!

 

Conor


mellestad
Moderator
Posts: 2927
Joined: 2009-08-19
User is offlineOffline
I agree with Capt. though,

I agree with Capt. though, 'atheist' has a huge amount of baggage.

 

Just call yourself a non-theist, most people swallow that without assuming you are a Communist angrily lashing out at god.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:I

Oh no. Now the only one we have left is Luminon...isn't it?

 

 

;_;

 

Where do you go to purchase more theist?

 

 

 

Anyway, congrats on not believing in a god!

 

 

Hey...doesn't this open up a new forum area for you to post in?

 

:D 

 

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


Anonymouse
atheist
Posts: 1687
Joined: 2008-05-04
User is offlineOffline
Will you still be doing the

Will you still be doing your blog ?


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Sapient wrote:Congrats

Sapient wrote:

Congrats Pineapple!  Welcome to the light side.

 

Shit!  Now we have to share our cookies with her...

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
Posts: 2385
Joined: 2008-03-25
User is offlineOffline
GENE..........

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Sapient wrote:

Congrats Pineapple!  Welcome to the light side.

 

Shit!  Now we have to share our cookies with her...

 

 

    Yes we have to share some cookies, but on the bright side maybe she has a new recipie for Bar Bee Que kittens.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Pine,I cleaned your post up

Pine,

I cleaned your post up a little so it looks cleaner on the homepage. 

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
Posts: 284
Joined: 2008-06-12
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:The reason I didn't

 

Quote:
The reason I didn't answer when Hamby asked point blank is because I don't want to be associated with the irrational arguments that most atheists use in regards to religion. I was pretty much thinking "These are the arguments I have to make?"

Not to mention those who don't hold to those arguments, are immediatly under suspicion.


The only person I have seen, on these forums at least, ever opennly suggest that someone who didn't support a particular argument might be a 'fake atheist' was Mr. Mouse. Perhaps I just didn't see it, but I don't think anyone here thinks less of anyone else based on the arguments they don't make.

On what information are you making this claim?

Furthermore, I would also like to know what information you used to make the 'arguments that most atheists use' claim.

To quote the Totally-not-an-atheist TheoWarner; "There is no normative ought governing/concerning the conduct of atheism and one ought not be imposed."

Furthermore, if people consider there to be irrational arguments associated with atheism, is this not their failing, and not atheism's? As has been stated, atheism says nothing more than the lack of a god belief. If any excess baggage to the term atheist is attached, then it is applied by the persons dealing with atheism, and I would think the best course of action would be to claim the title of atheist, and actively combat these unfounded assertions on the conduct of atheism, thus ridding the term of its baggage, instead of simply fleeing to a different term and conceeding defeat, leaving atheism to be consumed and twisted by both those without who wish to demonize it, and those within who seek to manipulate it. Reclaim it from within, if you were.

Just, please try to not to go crazy after nuking Tokyo.  Or better yet, before.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...


butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
Posts: 3706
Joined: 2008-09-12
User is offlineOffline
Uuuhh, congratulations, I

Uuuhh, congratulations, I guess.

I thought we were the dark side....

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare


Anonymouse
atheist
Posts: 1687
Joined: 2008-05-04
User is offlineOffline
Sinphanius wrote:The only

Sinphanius wrote:
The only person I have seen, on these forums at least, ever opennly suggest that someone who didn't support a particular argument might be a 'fake atheist' was Mr. Mouse.
 

?

Which Mr. Mouse was that ? If it was me, I feel stupid already.


Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
Posts: 284
Joined: 2008-06-12
User is offlineOffline
Oh yeah, I forgot we have

Oh yeah, I forgot we have multiple 'Anonymouse' people on this forum now.  No, I'm speaking of A_Nony_Mouse,  the guy who is always whining about them damn dirty Zionist Dogs.* and insists that anyone who even slightly tries to defend Israel is a 'fake Atheist'.

If I ever refer to you as a mister, I will likely use Mr Anonymouse as your name is not divided by -s or _s.  If you have some division you would prefer, please feel free to tell me.  I know I kind of got pissed when The Shizzle wouldn't use my name properly.

*Not my words.

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...


Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5486
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is offlineOffline
Anonymouse wrote:Will you

Anonymouse wrote:

Will you still be doing your blog ?

 

yes.

 

Sinphanius wrote:

 

Quote:
The reason I didn't answer when Hamby asked point blank is because I don't want to be associated with the irrational arguments that most atheists use in regards to religion. I was pretty much thinking "These are the arguments I have to make?"

Not to mention those who don't hold to those arguments, are immediatly under suspicion.


The only person I have seen, on these forums at least, ever opennly suggest that someone who didn't support a particular argument might be a 'fake atheist' was Mr. Mouse. Perhaps I just didn't see it, but I don't think anyone here thinks less of anyone else based on the arguments they don't make.

On what information are you making this claim?

Furthermore, I would also like to know what information you used to make the 'arguments that most atheists use' claim.

To quote the Totally-not-an-atheist TheoWarner; "There is no normative ought governing/concerning the conduct of atheism and one ought not be imposed."

Furthermore, if people consider there to be irrational arguments associated with atheism, is this not their failing, and not atheism's? As has been stated, atheism says nothing more than the lack of a god belief. If any excess baggage to the term atheist is attached, then it is applied by the persons dealing with atheism, and I would think the best course of action would be to claim the title of atheist, and actively combat these unfounded assertions on the conduct of atheism, thus ridding the term of its baggage, instead of simply fleeing to a different term and conceeding defeat, leaving atheism to be consumed and twisted by both those without who wish to demonize it, and those within who seek to manipulate it. Reclaim it from within, if you were.

Just, please try to not to go crazy after nuking Tokyo.  Or better yet, before.

 

 

I get this from various atheist activist blogs I stumble upon.

 

Perhaps I should change it to "atheist activist" rather than just "atheist"

 

 

 


Ken G.
Bronze Member
Posts: 1352
Joined: 2008-03-20
User is offlineOffline
Coming Out

  John Muir once said that " Going out was really going in "

Signature ? How ?


dgs012
Posts: 2
Joined: 2009-10-10
User is offlineOffline
Congrats!I'm still halfway

Congrats!

I'm still halfway in the closet.


Eloise
Theist
Eloise's picture
Posts: 1804
Joined: 2007-05-26
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:...due

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

...due to my apperent Theism, I'll just say he's wrong, because I'm not one anymore, and haven't been one since...

You did WHAT!!

But nah, hey Cap, good on you for setting the record straight.

It never mattered to me so much, as you well know, what you believe. I tend only to be concerned with what one says or intends to do about it. As far as I could see you're alright either way.

Still it must be noice to lose the label, huh? hehe

Theist badge qualifier : Gnostic/Philosophical Panentheist

www.mathematicianspictures.com


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13593
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:After

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

After reading Thomas' blog entry and Kevin calling me biased due to my apperent Theism, I'll just say he's wrong, because I'm not one anymore, and haven't been one since my other topic.

The reason I didn't answer when Hamby asked point blank is because I don't want to be associated with the irrational arguments that most atheists use in regards to religion. I was pretty much thinking "These are the arguments I have to make?"

Not to mention those who don't hold to those arguments, are immediatly under suspicion.

Which goes in line with comment I left on his [Thomas'] blog

I wrote:

I agree and this is a good point.

Many people seem to equate “being an atheist” with “being ego-tistical and having to belittle others”

I feel it has gotten to a point where former Theists won’t even come out and declare their atheism, especially when they hold the view that you expressed here.

I've always liked Thomas [Rook], and I feel his approach here was much more rational and constructive than other atheist blogs I've seen.

Awe man, one less person to sink my fangs into dag nab it!

I hate Rook now, and Hambi, and this site for that matter, YOU TOOK AWAY MY CHEWTOY!

Now Pineapple is going to have to learn how to properly barbeque kittens.

ARE YOU HAPPY NOW FOLKS! LOOK WHAT YOU HAVE DONE!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:3

Eloise wrote:

...

 

YAY! 

 

We still have one left. Laughing out loud

 

 

 

Happy days.

 

 

There were a few others too I think. Wasn't there a girl that worshipped Thor and stuff that showed up a few months back? I seem to remember that.

 

 

 

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


margaret downey (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Congrats to Captain Pineapple

Welcome to the world of rational thinking and freedom of thought!


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10599
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"The Dark Side of the Force

"The Dark Side of the Force contains many paths that some consider to be... unnatural."

"You don't know the power of the Dark Side."

But you will.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
Sapient's picture
Posts: 7522
Joined: 2006-04-18
User is offlineOffline
Pineapple, just wanted you

Pineapple, just wanted you to know that was the real Margaret Downey that posted.  No fooling.

- Brian Sapient


Buy popular atheist books and support the Rational Response Squad at the same time on Amazon.


djneibarger
Superfan
djneibarger's picture
Posts: 564
Joined: 2007-04-13
User is offlineOffline
 you don't have to be known

 you don't have to be known as an "atheist", and you shouldn't if you don't want to. i only use it because it saves time more-or-less describing my view. but if i had to nit pick over boring stuff like labels and such, i'm just a human. that's how i was born, and the "christian" label was added later by some pompous assholes who didn't even know me, and then "atheist" was assigned in some sinister fashion after i matured enough to reject the "christian" label on my own. 

but in truth, i'm now merely back to being what i was the day i was born, human.

www.derekneibarger.com http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=djneibarger "all postures of submission and surrender should be part of our prehistory." -christopher hitchens


Hasleyda (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Atheism can be either the rejection of theism is a belief system

I will keep it simple as the truth is more often than not easy...

We pretty much know that ALL we know of the sample universe is 4% - all "laws" as most who attempt to define the "properties of the universe" often use outdated knowledge to support their position.  The Laws of the universe are now flawed due to dark matter.  It is the wild card of the unknown and it apparently is the reason our "laws" work as they do...

We can only detect dark-matter and we do not know what set or subset properties exist within it at this time.   We do know it MAKES UP 96% of ALL matter in the universe. (feel free to Google the mathematical knowledge - gravitational lensing - dark matter)

That said, NO ONE can claim there isn't a deity because they have not found their own burning bush within the 4% discovery zone.  Therefore one must exchange one belief system for another to claim Atheism. 

Frankly, organizing the atheist belief system into doctrine and unified positions based on that belief system makes it a religion of sorts.

Physics, once one really thinks about the spontaneous explosion of the universe and where original energy came and couple it with they knowledge that all they know is only percentage of an incomplete sample from must at the very least validate their own ignorance.  Posting a universal position from the "evidence and properties" is nothing more than an "I believe system."

"I believe" = faith in the validity of your position no matter what side you are on.

Peace.

Dark Matter