Italian scientist reproduces Shroud of Turin

jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Italian scientist reproduces Shroud of Turin

Link: http://www.reuters.com/article/scienceNews/idUSTRE5943HL20091005

By Philip Pullella

ROME (Reuters) - An Italian scientist says he has reproduced the Shroud of Turin, a feat that he says proves definitively that the linen some Christians revere as Jesus Christ's burial cloth is a medieval fake.

<snip>

Can we finally dispense with the veneration of relics?

Discuss among yourselves.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Anonymouse
atheist
Posts: 1687
Joined: 2008-05-04
User is offlineOffline
jcgadfly wrote:Can we

jcgadfly wrote:

Can we finally dispense with the veneration of relics?

Probably not. There's still loads of that crap all over europe. Bones, blood, etc... It's like you don't even have to clone Jesus, you can just glue all the bits together again.


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:3

Anonymouse wrote:

jcgadfly wrote:

Can we finally dispense with the veneration of relics?

Probably not. There's still loads of that crap all over europe. Bones, blood, etc... It's like you don't even have to clone Jesus, you can just glue all the bits together again.

 

If I learned anything from horror movies Bruce Campbell starred in, this is a bad idea.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
... and then he was

... and then he was imprisoned


Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
Posts: 8657
Joined: 2006-10-22
User is offlineOffline
 I didn't know anyone took

 I didn't know anyone took the shroud seriously anymore even before it being replicated.  It's been dated to what... the 13th century?  That pretty much rules it out as Jesus.

I dunno.  I suppose there will always be someone who wants St. Peter's.. um... peter, and will get suckered in by snake oil salesmen.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism


jcgadfly
Superfan
Posts: 6791
Joined: 2006-07-18
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: I didn't

Hambydammit wrote:

 I didn't know anyone took the shroud seriously anymore even before it being replicated.  It's been dated to what... the 13th century?  That pretty much rules it out as Jesus.

I dunno.  I suppose there will always be someone who wants St. Peter's.. um... peter, and will get suckered in by snake oil salesmen.

I guess as long as the belief in belief is strong...

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Awesome adequately sums up

Awesome adequately sums up my response.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.


Renee Obsidianwords
High Level DonorModeratorRRS local affiliate
Renee Obsidianwords's picture
Posts: 1388
Joined: 2007-03-29
User is offlineOffline
 Just an 'update' on the

 Just an 'update' on the shroud of turin:  Writing Proves Shroud of Turin a Jesus Relic

Apparently a Vatican researcher has discovered some writing on the shroud ~ I wonder if she holds it at a 45 degree angle, squints and sneezes, if she would see the virgin mary too...

 

Slowly building a blog at ~

http://obsidianwords.wordpress.com/


Sinphanius
Sinphanius's picture
Posts: 284
Joined: 2008-06-12
User is offlineOffline
Kyle Katarn would so Kick JC's Ass

 The Shroud of Turin?

Seriously?

I can prove the Shroud of Turin isn't what it is claimed to be purely through the brilliantly technologically advanced and difficult science of....

Art.

With some Video Games thrown in too.

Essentially, the Shroud of Turin isn't what it is claimed to be because the image on it is a Portrait style rendition, ie it is a face projected onto a 2D surface using Parallel Lines. Had the shroud been wrapped around Jesus when the image was created the image would be 'warped' with, for instance, the sides of his face being stretched out. Likewise, because it was wrapped, it would have angular areas where there were no image or duplicate images where the shroud was folded in order to do the wrapping.

In other words, it would look like This;


Not This;

When you say it like that you make it sound so Sinister...


Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 13210
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
"Kyle Katarn would so Kick

"Kyle Katarn would so Kick JC's Ass"

True... but he wouldn't hold a candle to Luke...

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.