Creation stories

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Creation stories

Anyone recall seeing the p[ost pointing out all the similiarities between many of the creation stories and the jesus myth? Would be nice if something like it were included in the Rational Content Articles and Essays section ...

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

Sapient
High Level DonorRRS CO-FOUNDERRRS Core MemberWebsite Admin
User is offlineOffline
 Oh c'mon people there's

Oh c'mon people there's got to be 5 posts on this topic.

(as I clean out the forums I stumbled on this, but am too busy with cleaning to look for the post.)  

Keywords to look up: mithra and dionysus   Google SEARCH this site!

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I had an actual PC to

If I had an actual PC to work with, I'd likely be intrigued enough to write an essay on this. Off the top of my head I can think of two tales that closely resemble that of jesus, which predate jesus: hercules and dionysus.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mithra

The mithra myth is so close to christianity it's not funny. Am not sure but I think a key christian argument against mithra and a relationship to christianity is the relative youth of the existing sources.

I think between the mussies at the Alexandria book-burning and the efforts of 2000 years of priests most if not all the mithra texts have been destroyed - apparently.

"Experiments are the only means of knowledge at our disposal. The rest is poetry, imagination." Max Planck

ksskidude
Superfan
ksskidude's picture
User is offlineOffline
Creation Stories

One of my favorite is that of teh Horus.  His story might be word for word identical to that of jesus.  Which I always find most intriguing because, Horus was an Eygptian god.  So when the Isrealites were walking around in the desert for 40 years they easily put two and two together.  Walah!  We now have our own god myth.  Let's call him Jesus.

Really though look up Horus.

FurryCatHerder
Theist
FurryCatHerder's picture
User is offlineOffline
Atheistextremist wrote: The

Atheistextremist wrote:

The mithra myth is so close to christianity it's not funny. Am not sure but I think a key christian argument against mithra and a relationship to christianity is the relative youth of the existing sources.

I think between the mussies at the Alexandria book-burning and the efforts of 2000 years of priests most if not all the mithra texts have been destroyed - apparently.

We still know what Mithraism was all about, as well as that Constantine was a follower, along with many within the Roman Legion.

"Obviously I'm convinced of the existence of G-d. I'm equally convinced that Atheists who've led good lives will be in Olam HaBa going "How the heck did I wind up in this place?!?" while Christians who've treated people like dirt will be in some other place asking the exact same question."

danatemporary
danatemporary's picture
User is offlineOffline
Subdi Visions wrote:Creation

Subdi Visions wrote:

Creation stories and the jesus myth?

You did say  "Creation stories"?   Do you mean where is the Theomachy in the First part of the Bible?