Obama: Families included same sex couples

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
Cpt_pineapple's picture
Posts: 5487
Joined: 2007-04-12
User is onlineOnline
Obama: Families included same sex couples

http://www.whitehouse.gov/the_press_office/Presidential-Proclamation-Family-Day-2009/

 

Obama wrote:

Whether children are raised by two parents, a single parent, grandparents, a same-sex couple, or a guardian, families encourage us to do our best and enable us to accomplish great things.

 

 

 

 


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
I saw him on TV claiming

I saw him on TV claiming that he does not support gay marriage. He may think that they are families, but he'll be damned if they ever get married.

So they are families in his opinion, but he doesn't support them getting married. I'm confused now.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
Posts: 2265
Joined: 2009-03-26
User is offlineOffline
:o

Jormungander wrote:

I saw him on TV claiming that he does not support gay marriage. He may think that they are families, but he'll be damned if they ever get married.

So they are families in his opinion, but he doesn't support them getting married. I'm confused now.

 

 

October 11th is the big protest thing over prop 8 in DC. It isn't too far from here, but I will probably be at an anime convention instead.

 

 

If I really want to be gay married I will just become a citizen somewhere else right now, and abandon being part of the united states. 

 

 

I feel that the president is supporting more gay rights, but civil unions are not equal. I noticed he was supportive of gay rights up until the polls told him being pro-gay marriage would alienate a large part of his constituency while running for president, so he may in fact be supportive of equal rights. I hope so.

 

At least the <30 crowd really doesn't have a problem with it. I don't know anyone my age that sees what the problem is.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:October 11th

ClockCat wrote:

October 11th is the big protest thing over prop 8 in DC. It isn't too far from here, but I will probably be at an anime convention instead.

As a Californian, I have to say that it sounds stupid to have an out of state Prop 8 protest. Shouldn't that protest be in Sacramento? The people in DC can't help us protest a California state proposition. Only building a 51%+ support among California voters can possibly do any good in this matter. We could wait about a decade and vote on it again once enough old people die and things shift the other way. Not to be morbid, but that is probably what will actually happen.

 

ClockCat wrote:

I feel that the president is supporting more gay rights, but civil unions are not equal. I noticed he was supportive of gay rights up until the polls told him being pro-gay marriage would alienate a large part of his constituency while running for president, so he may in fact be supportive of equal rights.

That's even worse in my opinion. Someone who supports equal rights until a poll tells him otherwise never really supported equal rights with any conviction. You can't like equal rights for gays and then go on TV and claim to not support gay marriage in an attempt to lie for votes. Your optimistic hoping sounds like Obama is a lying hypocrite who cynically misrepresented his views in order to trick people into voting for him. Maybe he secretly supports equal rights, but he says he doesn't support gay marriage and his claims that civil unions are equal is obvious bullshit. Meh, maybe he'll support gay marriage in the future if a poll tells him to.

I know that every politician is like that, but it really burns me to think that they could be lying with every breath because some poll tells them to misrepresent their views and abandon their convictions so that they can scam me into voting for them.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 13667
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Change does not happen

Change does not happen overnight. Many of the founders were abolitionists. Jefferson himself fathered a child with one of his slaves. The critical mass to make same sex couples a norm in society has not been widely reached. The dancing by politicians is unfortunate because they cannot always say what they really want.

What it took was a persistence of the gay community reaching way back to the 60s and 70s and must be continued today despite the growing acceptance. They will get there but anyone who wants a voice must fight for it. (meaning raising your voice and remaining persistent)

If things continue to improve for gays, and I don't see why they shouldn't, 50 years from now or maybe earlier we will elect a gay president.

HAVING SAID THAT, labels are NOT a reason to put someone in office. No one should put someone in office because they are "left" or "right" or gay or atheist. We should look at each other like we would a co-worker, "will they do a good job".

Obama I am sure would like to come out and tell the homophobes to go suck an egg. But if Jefferson had run his platform of fighting the Revolution on ending slavery, we never would have had the Constitution gays can use now to fight to become equal.

How many Jews would have Shindler save if he had not pretended to be a Nazi? I am sure he wanted to beat the shit out of the people he was smiling to convincing them he was a Nazi.


 

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
Posts: 4214
Joined: 2008-11-11
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:If things

Brian37 wrote:

If things continue to improve for gays, and I don't see why they shouldn't, 50 years from now or maybe earlier we will elect a gay president.


Um, we already have.  Google "Buchanan gay".

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=


Vastet
atheistBloggerHigh Level ModeratorSuperfan
Vastet's picture
Posts: 10687
Joined: 2006-12-25
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:I saw him

Jormungander wrote:

I saw him on TV claiming that he does not support gay marriage. He may think that they are families, but he'll be damned if they ever get married.

So they are families in his opinion, but he doesn't support them getting married. I'm confused now.

I think that's the point. There's a hand to both sides in that comment. Politics at its best.

Proud Canadian, Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.