Man vs. God - WSJ.com

TomJ
atheist
TomJ's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man vs. God - WSJ.com

Wall Street Journal wrote:
We commissioned Karen Armstrong and Richard Dawkins to respond independently to the question "Where does evolution leave God?" Neither knew what the other would say. Here are the results.

I liked the article because it reinforces the belief that we are outgrowing our need for "the g-word." Enjoy.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203440104574405030643556324.html

Remember how you figured out there is no Santa? Well, their god is just like Santa. They just haven’t figured out he’s not real yet.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
TomJ

Thanks for the link I  love reading Richard Dawkins and Ann Armstrong is pretty good to.  I  look at the world around  me and thank mother nature for good or bad  {i.e.  The Grand Canyon--and it is GRAND!!!!!--:  and tsunamis's--what more terrible fate could we get from the natural world}

I'm   not trying to be dramatic here just saying thanks for the links.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
I like both of the

I like both of the letters.

Predictably, I am more convinced by Dawkins when he points of God is a useless artifact once you accept Darwinian evolution...but I sympathize with Armstrong, even if I think her ideas are ultimately pointless, because I think you can explain the 'transcendent' without resorting to the divine.

Does anyone know what her actual theological position is though?  What she wrote makes her sound like some sort of deist.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
It is sad that we as a

It is sad that we as a species even have to have the debate of whether or not a god exists in 09 in an age of DNA and cell phones.

Atheists don't want this debate anymore than Galileo liked bursting the bubble of the popular belief of his time. BUT it was the right thing to do and we are better off as a species because of it.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

mellestad
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:It is sad that

Brian37 wrote:

It is sad that we as a species even have to have the debate of whether or not a god exists in 09 in an age of DNA and cell phones.

Atheists don't want this debate anymore than Galileo liked bursting the bubble of the popular belief of his time. BUT it was the right thing to do and we are better off as a species because of it.

Yea, but it sounds like her version of deity is far different than the one most of us have an issue with.  I think that is enormous progress.

Everything makes more sense now that I've stopped believing.

digitalbeachbum
atheistRational VIP!
digitalbeachbum's picture
User is offlineOffline
TomJ wrote:Wall Street

TomJ wrote:

Wall Street Journal wrote:
We commissioned Karen Armstrong and Richard Dawkins to respond independently to the question "Where does evolution leave God?" Neither knew what the other would say. Here are the results.

I liked the article because it reinforces the belief that we are outgrowing our need for "the g-word." Enjoy.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203440104574405030643556324.html

Dang. I day late and a dollar short. I posted this on another thread, didn't know it was over here.

Any one notice how it says "karen armstrong says..." but "Richard Dawkins  argues...". I find that curious.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I found Karen's response

I found Karen's response most interesting. I wouldn't mind smacking a few theists with it. It's the kind of belief I can respect, after a fashion.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.