Oversimplification

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oversimplification

It's strange that I've never used this argument on these boards, but something that helps a great deal with a WASPy audience when someone hits you with an oversimplification (think Bill O'Reilly asking "Do you want to win the war in Iraq?" ) is using golf. I don't know why golf is particularly good at this, because I personally don't like the sport, but lots of people seem to have played it. Here's what I mean:

If someone asks you if you want to win the war in Iraq, or anything that brazenly leading, and then tells you it's a "simple question", you can say it's a simple question in the same way that golf is just hitting a ball with a stick.

It's a great weakness of the modern blowhard that a supreme knowledge of golf cannot be surpressed, and so you have at least a couple of seconds to weather an onslaught of stupidity. Getting someone to say, "well it's not that simple" would be a slam dunk, but you can't rely on that. Instead, for the example of the war in Iraq, it's easy enough to point out that if a simple game "isn't so simple", then how is a multi-trillion-dollar expedition with thousands of troops, several clashes of culture, and no way to keep score?

Just in case anyone was looking for a fall-back when hit with that kind of pedantic nonsense. Who knew golf could be good for something?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Strafio
Strafio's picture
User is offlineOffline
"It's a simple

"It's a simple question"
"Yeah, and golf is just hitting a ball with a stick."

Could work.
Have you actually tried it out on anyone yet?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Strafio wrote:"It's a simple

Strafio wrote:

"It's a simple question"
"Yeah, and golf is just hitting a ball with a stick."

Could work.
Have you actually tried it out on anyone yet?

On a golfer -- that's how I came up with it originally. The guy was kind of a pompous wind-bag, so it took him off guard. He had the look in his eye like "I have destroyed so many with my massive intellect!" so I didn't feel bad about cutting him down just a bit.

The "discussion" was how I was foolish for ignoring the benefits of religious rituals. Something like Ben Franklin's condescending defense of religion as a way to keep the stupid in line. I don't even remember the question, but it reminded me of Bill O'Reilly. A lot of bullying without any substance. It wasn't as slick as you have it.

"It's a simple question."

"Okay, but it's a simple question like golf is just hitting the ball into the hole. Simple. Oh, I'm sorry, is there more to it than that?"

Having it as "ball-with-a-stick" would have been preferable, but I can never get those good lines in at the right time.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence