The Conservatives are cringing at Obama September school speech

BB4_intellect
atheist
BB4_intellect's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Conservatives are cringing at Obama September school speech

Have you heard about the speech on education Obama will be making in classrooms via the internet on Sept 8th? I love that the conservatives have their panties all in a wad over it.

Do you have kids in grade school, and what's your take on the speech?

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
That said, don't take it

Don't take it personally, I'm not in a dandy mood lately. And yea, I am narcissistic, arogant and condescending. Kind of like Bill O'Riley, except he is a fascistoid hate monger, doesn't care about anyone but himself and does not have rock hard abs *crunch*

As for revolutionary, I don't have the balls to be Utah Phillips, let alone Che. But maybe that will change.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Here's the actual

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:You should

ZuS wrote:

You should rephrase: 'If you don't like it here, ah well... No matter where you are or who you are, people runing my life will rob you and kill you if they want to - and same goes for me.'

Are you honestly claiming that the government is "runing" your life and they could kill you on a whim? I know that out of control SWAT teams have a tendancy to serve warrants on the wrong adresses and kill people (which happens more often than you'de think), but besides that I can not think of examples of the US government killing US citizens on a regular basis and getting away with it.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Here's

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Here's the actual speech

http://www.whitehouse.gov/MediaResources/PreparedSchoolRemarks/

It was a pep talk. I wonder what the conservatives were even upset about.

PS

I love this quote (from the CBC):

Quote:

Florida Republican chair Jim Greer said last week it's inappropriate to use taxpayer dollars to broadcast White House politics into the nation's school system.

"President Obama has turned to American's children to spread his liberal lies, indoctrinating American's youngest children before they have a chance to decide for themselves," Greer said.

Among the "liberal lies" were suggestions to work hard and take personal responsibility for one's education.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Everyone knows that education and hard work lead to liberal thinking, Will.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
ZuS wrote:Don't take it

ZuS wrote:

Don't take it personally, I'm not in a dandy mood lately. And yea, I am narcissistic, arogant and condescending. Kind of like Bill O'Riley, except he is a fascistoid hate monger, doesn't care about anyone but himself and does not have rock hard abs *crunch*

As for revolutionary, I don't have the balls to be Utah Phillips, let alone Che. But maybe that will change.

Okay, I appreciate the explanation.  At times I let my own emotions get the upper hand and it usually just ruins any sense of goodwill during a debate.  I hate it when that happens, heh heh.

ciao !

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: Everyone

ClockCat wrote:

Education and hard work can only lead to being exploited by capitalist pigs.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
We do all know that the main

We do all know that the main controversy was over making students write letters to the President describing how they will serve him and then turning those letters to their teachers and then later having their teachers hold them accountable for their promises? That was the main fuss. But that part of the plan for Obama's speach was dropped as soon as it was clear that people didn't like it. So there was a bit of controvery, it was resolved by removing that weird letter writing/hold kid's accountable for their service to Obama thing. That was a bad idea, it has been dropped, problem solved. At that is left once that is removed is a pep talk about staying in school, working hard and finding out what talents you have to contribute to society. I am glad that the creepy letter idea was taken out of the plan though.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
?

Jormungander wrote:

We do all know that the main controversy was over making students write letters to the President describing how they will serve him and then turning those letters to their teachers and then later having their teachers hold them accountable for their promises? That was the main fuss. But that part of the plan for Obama's speach was dropped as soon as it was clear that people didn't like it. So there was a bit of controvery, it was resolved by removing that weird letter writing/hold kid's accountable for their service to Obama thing. That was a bad idea, it has been dropped, problem solved. At that is left once that is removed is a pep talk about staying in school, working hard and finding out what talents you have to contribute to society. I am glad that the creepy letter idea was taken out of the plan though.

What letter plan? I never saw anything about this on whitehouse.gov, or from any speaker from the white house that knew what his plans were.

Please cite your source.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:ZuS

Jormungander wrote:

ZuS wrote:

You should rephrase: 'If you don't like it here, ah well... No matter where you are or who you are, people runing my life will rob you and kill you if they want to - and same goes for me.'

Are you honestly claiming that the government is "runing" your life and they could kill you on a whim? I know that out of control SWAT teams have a tendancy to serve warrants on the wrong adresses and kill people (which happens more often than you'de think), but besides that I can not think of examples of the US government killing US citizens on a regular basis and getting away with it.

I said people, not government.

And really, you don't think they can do pretty much what they want with American citizens? Make them a target throughout the world is a secondary effect; directly offing more than 5000 in a war no one can see a tiny bit of moral justification for is more of an open mass murder; 18000 dead per year (conservative estimate) because of lack of health coverage I guess you could just call cashing in on people's misfortune while actively barring a collective solution; anti-human corporate attitude and policy costing untold lives through pollution, lack of infrastructure and destruction of community cohesion; mass corporate prison complex that is the modern version of slave labor. On top of that come the persecutions of anyone who happens to oppose them. The persecutions take the form of persistent smear campaigns, instigation of hate often leading to acts of violence including murder, discrimination, imprisonment and generally trying to make an example of each dissident.

Again, I said people, not government. Government is a tool anyone can use. People abusing that tool today in US are a cancer on the collective world body and should be removed.

Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
User is offlineOffline
That plan was dropped and

That plan was dropped and all government websites have removed information on it. It was a pretty weird plan, and now it is no more.

"ABC News reports that the White House is revising some of the language in the teacher materials. Students had been asked to "Write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president." The Department of Education has changed that section to now read: "Write letters to themselves about how they can achieve their short-term and long-term education goals."

And then the Dept. of Ed. went a step further and got rid of the letters all together.

"The preK–6 lesson plans … exhort teachers to extend the impact of the president’s speech by having students “write letters to themselves about what they can do to help the president.” This clumsy bit of cheerleading shows no awareness that “help[ing] the president” might be construed as an invitation to engage in advocacy rather than instruction or that it might worry those who are not Obama partisans. What’s truly remarkable, however … is the lesson plan’s directive that “these [letters] would be collected and redistributed at an appropriate later date by the teacher to make students accountable to their goals.”"

There was some weird shit planned. Someone wasn't thinking clearly down at the Department of Education. I'm sure that this sounded like a good plan to some bureaucrat, but in hindsight it is just going to stir up a partisan hornets nest. So the plan was dropped and all information on it was removed from all government websites. I suppose a witty remark about a memory hole or some other 1984 misinformation reference would be appropriate here.

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:There was

Jormungander wrote:

There was some weird shit planned. Someone wasn't thinking clearly down at the Department of Education. I'm sure that this sounded like a good plan to some bureaucrat, but in hindsight it is just going to stir up a partisan hornets nest. So the plan was dropped and all information on it was removed from all government websites. I suppose a witty remark about a memory hole or some other 1984 misinformation reference would be appropriate here.

Of course, killing 2 million and displacing 5 million Iraqis and killing 5000 American soldiers in the process was not "some weird shit planned" and no main stream media stormed over that little incident while it unfolded. The selling off of Iraqi and US ressources through elaborate plans called the "Iraqi constitution" and no-bid contracts for pennies on a dollar was not "some weird shit planned" either.

The continuation of destruction of Afghanistan, plunder, exploitation, killing and drone warfare, those are all ok plans.

The memory hole on these plans is not worth a witty remark, I suppose. Neither is the huge corporate warfare machine in any way reminescent of anything in 1984. But an ambiguous sentence in a speech, that is significant.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jormungander wrote:We do all

Jormungander wrote:

Oh. Yeah, that would have been monumentally stupid. You have to join the army before doing something like that, don't you?

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote: Everyone

ClockCat wrote:

Yeah, that and abuse from people who are afraid of reading non-fiction.