Score another one for atheism!!

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
Score another one for atheism!!

After I became an atheist I kept it to myself for a while, even from my wife. After she saw all the youtube videos and websites (including this one) that I have been visiting she asked me what my belief were and if I believed in god. I told her no I didn't and explained why. She was very receptive to my testamony and a couple of weeks ago she came out and told me that she no longer believes in god. I congradulated her and said welcome to "YOUR" life. I never pressured her to believe like me, but I think my logical arguments had alot to do with it. Now we can have a religion free household and raise our kids without superstition. Just thought I would share with you guys. 

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

congrats! 

sentientmachine
User is offlineOffline
I took your path.  Be

I took your path.  Be careful.  Hard headed atheism does not mix well with a productive loving mutually edifying relationship with the opposite sex. 

It's not the Religious who go insane from their delusional folly, it's the Rationalists who go mad separating themselves from their social groups, becoming islands of thought, trying to explain everything rationally and ultimately failing at that. 

Sometimes a little delusion is required to make it through life with any sanity at all.  Again, watch your step, everything you want and love in the world hangs in that balance.

The idea that we should believe something because its true does not come naturally to all people. People don't believe in things because they are true, they believe in them because they are useful. Holding a belief that runs contrary to reality can be a marker that binds you to the loyalty of a tribe. Belief=Belonging=Protection. We must take heed to well informed hostility lest the situation degrades to the point of war and we are mowed down by a force greater than ourselves.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Good work, Marshall!  Tell

Good work, Marshall!  Tell your wife congratulations from me, and welcome to life without magic.  Smiling

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah, congrats, Marshall. I

Yeah, congrats, Marshall. I hope the first little while isn't too uncomfortable for her, and she moves right to the feeling of relief at not having to reconcile nonsense anymore.

Also, machine? That trip down the rabbit hole was a little eerie, but I'm assuming your heart's in the right place.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Great. We're not praying for

Great. We're not praying for you.

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
Woo-HOO!

Good work, marshall!

And congratulations to your wife.  Here's hoping for much happiness to result for you and your family.

Conor

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Congrats to you, but even

Congrats to you, but even more so to her. Laughing out loud

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

If everyone assumes everyone else is a believer there ain't gonna be no progress no how.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
marshalltenbears

marshalltenbears wrote:

After I became an atheist I kept it to myself for a while, even from my wife. After she saw all the youtube videos and websites (including this one) that I have been visiting she asked me what my belief were and if I believed in god. I told her no I didn't and explained why. She was very receptive to my testamony and a couple of weeks ago she came out and told me that she no longer believes in god. I congradulated her and said welcome to "YOUR" life. I never pressured her to believe like me, but I think my logical arguments had alot to do with it. Now we can have a religion free household and raise our kids without superstition. Just thought I would share with you guys. 

YOU BASTARD! How dare you spread a godless world. If people want to believe that girls get pregnant via ghost sperm and want to believe that dead human flesh survives rigor mortis, HOW DARE YOU TAKE THAT FROM THEM..........(Note to self: Did I think that or type it?)

Now the next step is to teach her how to properly barbeque kittens.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Congrats. 

Congratulations. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

sentientmachine wrote:

I took your path.  Be careful.  Hard headed atheism does not mix well with a productive loving mutually edifying relationship with the opposite sex. 

It's not the Religious who go insane from their delusional folly, it's the Rationalists who go mad separating themselves from their social groups, becoming islands of thought, trying to explain everything rationally and ultimately failing at that. 

Sometimes a little delusion is required to make it through life with any sanity at all.  Again, watch your step, everything you want and love in the world hangs in that balance.

WHERE THE FUCK IS THE BACTINE!!

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

lokipro
lokipro's picture
User is offlineOffline
I had a similar experience a

I had a similar experience a few years back with my partner... except we constantly debated. He thought I was going to hell, and I was perplexed how someone could believe that and "love" someone. We debated, usually on a monthly basis. Three years after we met he read the End of Faith, and boom... started spouting everything I had debated with him. "Did you know [insert my debate point here]" - I was at a loss for words... really?

I say these things and nothing, and boom he reads a book and he's an atheist!

Not that I care mind you... but REALLY?

Congrats!

Atheistextremist
atheist
Atheistextremist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Keep spreading the good news

about godlessness.