An argument me and my wife had.

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
An argument me and my wife had.

This is something me and my wife argued amout for a while when we were really drunk at a mexican resturant. I won't say which side I argued but here is this argument. 

Could you possibly wake up fast enough to see yourself still sleeping? Please keep in mind I am really drunk right now as I write this. 

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
The answer is no, you

The answer is no, you can't...but on a side note...you probably have a terrific marriage if *THIS* is what you argue about...

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yes, you can. There is

Yes, you can. There is nothing to debate on this matter.

The fact is that sleep is not a clear this/that thing. Sleep is a complicated thing that has many levels. For example:

Hypnogougic hallucinations are those bits of dreams that happen before you are fully asleep. I tend to hear car crashes and sirens.

Hypnopedic hallucinations are those bits of dreams that happen while you are waking up. I tend to hear my doorbell ringing.

That being said, I have intentionally developed the ability to have lucid dreams. So you may not have the same experiences as do I. Even so, you still have to go through all of the transition states into and out of sleep.

Also, don't worry about the drunk thing. I am fairly wasted myself.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears wrote:

marshalltenbears wrote:

Could you possibly wake up fast enough to see yourself still sleeping? Please keep in mind I am really drunk right now as I write this. 

You can't "wake up fast enough" to do it, just like you can never open your eyes fast enough to see yourself with your eyes closed. But depending how you define sleep, it could be possible or impossible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleep_paralysis

"Sleep paralysis occurs when the brain awakes from a REM state, but the body paralysis persists. This leaves the person fully conscious, but unable to move. The paralysis can last from several seconds to several minutes "after which the individual may experience panic symptoms and the realization that the distorted perceptions were false".[5] As the correlation with REM sleep suggests, the paralysis is not entirely complete; use of EOG traces shows that eye movement can be instigated during such episodes."

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Hypnogougic hallucinations are those bits of dreams that happen before you are fully asleep. I tend to hear car crashes and sirens.

Hypnopedic hallucinations are those bits of dreams that happen while you are waking up. I tend to hear my doorbell ringing.

I worry about you.

Logic is a systematic method of coming to the wrong conclusion with confidence.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
If I remember, it's a kind

If I remember, it's a kind of sleep paralysis. Basically, the body is sleeping, but in these sleeping brain waves there is a small portion of waking waves. The result is, that the sleeper is fully conscious, while his body automatically snores and breathes as usual. People who don't know what it is, may be a bit scared that it's their last moment, but it's not. It happened to my dad once.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
LESS FILLING!TASTES

LESS FILLING!

TASTES GREAT!

Wouldn't it be nice if the worse humans would do is have friendly arguments like this instead of killing each other.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I was thinking that it

I was thinking that it would be possible and impossible at the same time. the argument went in this direction. Lets say that point A is me sleeping on my bed, point B is me standing up looking at myself. If I could wake up and travel faster than the speed of light from point a to point b I should arrive at point B before the light waves reach it. But of course it is impossible since nothing that we know of can move faster than the speed of light. That was my point I was trying to make. I am sober now. 

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
OK, if you are

OK, if you are interested in the biology of sleep, then yes, what you are asking for is trivial.

On the other hand, if you are asking about physics, then the answer is rather different. Traveling faster than light is on par with dividing by zero. There are certain things that just do not happen and what you want is in this field.

That being said, FTL is impossible for a very different reason that dividing by zero. Even so, the words “ain't gonna happen, evar” come to mind.

Regarding sobriety: Not really. I am supposed to photograph a friend having a Mormon baptism in a few hours. Being just a hair off kilter is probably a good thing this morning. If I get lucky, I can frighten everyone here by posting a pic of me in magical undies.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
User is offlineOffline
Well, I  ducked the

Well, I  ducked the bullet.  So no scary pics.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:

=

darth_josh
High Level DonorHigh Level ModeratorGold Member
darth_josh's picture
User is offlineOffline
I heard/read that whales are

I heard/read that whales are only half asleep, as in one hemisphere of their brains are asleep at one time.

We already have hypotheses about right brain/left brain dominance so it stands to reason that your artistic side might be contemplating the beauty of the empirical side's sleeptalking.

However, who can sleep anyway when the voices are having a party? Including the really mean one that always says, "Go back to sleep! I'm driving this bus."

Atheist Books, purchases on Amazon support the Rational Response Squad server, which houses Celebrity Atheists.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears

marshalltenbears wrote:

Could you possibly wake up fast enough to see yourself still sleeping?

Sounds like a squarecircle to me

People who think there is something they refer to as god don't ask enough questions.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Until observed otherwise you could simultaneously exist both as an asleep, and an awake individual.

The attempt at observation would break that quantum entanglement though. What happens at this point is debatable.

I blame a cat for this.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Zaq
atheist
Zaq's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stop blaming me for stuff!

Stop blaming me for stuff!

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:The answer

Rich Woods wrote:

The answer is no, you can't...but on a side note...you probably have a terrific marriage if *THIS* is what you argue about...

Amen. Well done.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence