A week off

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
A week off

I'm going to be off for about a week, I might be on tomorrow and Wensday night.

For those curious, I'll be going on a little "spiritual quest" and spending some time sleeping in the woods and doing the "getting in tune with nature thing", I've heard about them and wanted to try one.

I'll probably leave Thursday and come back in about a week.

Oh and for the record, I do not smoke pot, or wear multi-coloured shirts with flowers on them [i.e not a hippy]

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"I do not smoke pot" Tsk

"I do not smoke pot"

Tsk tsk. Try and enjoy it anyway.

Sticking out tongue

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:  Oh

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Oh and for the record, I do not smoke pot, or wear multi-coloured shirts with flowers on them [i.e not a hippy]

its a pity

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote: [...]I

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

[...]I do not smoke pot,i.e not a hippy...]

For the record I smoke pot daily (if not more) and it has never made me sleep in a forest wearing a multicoloured shirt and become a hippie. Please do not insult pot.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:"getting in tune with Nature thing"

Yes !!! Nature is my god (even though I don't believe in a personal god). I would be very happy to see the religious right wing worry about what's going on with the murder of our planet,rather than to worry who marries who,who gets an abortion,and who don't subscribe to their way of thinking.Anyway have a good time and enjoy nature,plant a tree for those yet to come.   being a hippie is only a label that society has branded onto certain people who don't conform.

Signature ? How ?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why not add LSD and tree

Why not add LSD and tree huggers for the whole stereotype of hippies? For the record I smoke weed and I am the antithesis of hippies. Please try some, you will see that you do not wear multicoloured shirts (if you do, your weed is laced, stop smoking it, and go beat the crap out of the dealer) or wake up in a forest (that was a lot of weed you smoked there.....trying doing it at home or at a friends house) at the most you get a drunk feeling without the hangover and a great feeling of mellowness to yourself.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:For

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

For those curious, I'll be going on a little "spiritual quest" and spending some time sleeping in the woods and doing the "getting in tune with nature thing", I've heard about them and wanted to try one.

Whatever. You're going into the woods to make out with cute boys. I thought that was what camp was all about. Well, other than making out with cute girls, which I would recommend, but it might not be your thing.

Spiritual like mystic spiritual, or Holy Spiritual?

Cuz the first one sounds a lot more fun than the second.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Heh.  I don't smoke pot

Heh.  I don't smoke pot either, but if I was going out into the woods for a spiritual communion with nature, I'd smoke pot for that.

You should give it a try.  Live a little Eye-wink  

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I'm

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

I'll probably leave Thursday and come back in about a week.

Good luck finding that cosmic conciousness. I know it would be futile to suggest going to your local bookstore to the fiction section, you'll find it there.

But in all seriousness, as much as I pull my fangs out on you, enjoy your time off. Everyone needs a break.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:I'm

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Sounds interesting. All my inner alarms went off at a sign of a girl, non-materialistic and non-Christianic at the same time. When you return, please let me know what the results were, I'd appreciate it.

I hope you'll watch out for bears, rapists, gamekeepers, ticks, poisonous snakes, wildfires, and slugs in shoes if you leave them out of the tent overnight. These are some of the reasons why I rather prefer getting in tune with my higher self.

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
Congratulations. Then, what do you do, exactly? I'm curious, I guess that hugging trees is not typical for Deists.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Luminon it is August,  take a vacation.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt,Enjoy. I wish you good

Cpt,

Enjoy. I wish you good travels, and the happy fortune to find whatever it is you seek.

Magus
High Level DonorModerator
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
How exactly did you become

How exactly did you become out of tune with nature?  We humans are a product of nature, our actions are a product of us.  Therefore every building, and technological advance is a part of the natural world.   You never left nature. 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist
No, I am not angry at your imaginary friends or enemies.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
August is a great time to

August is a great time to head out for a vacation....and damn it I am heading out next week, going up to Minden Hills (near bracebridge for those in Ontario) to just chill, cottage (no tents I rather have my creature comforts, like running water and a nice comfy bed), booze, pool, friends, weed (yeah it's been a while so I am going to enjoy), bonfires and of course.....marshmellows. Thankfully a friend has a nice cottage that I get to rent for next to nothing. Can't wait, 5 years since my last real vacation (long weekends don't count)

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pfft who needs a creatre

Pfft who needs a creatre comforts, who even needs a tent as I discovered a year back, (kudos to me for forgeting the tent and not reasilsing until after a 4 hour drive) Just sleeping under the stars is the best.

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tapey wrote:Pfft who needs a

Tapey wrote:

Pfft who needs a creatre comforts, who even needs a tent as I discovered a year back, (kudos to me for forgeting the tent and not reasilsing until after a 4 hour drive) Just sleeping under the stars is the best.

What can I say I am spoiled that way. Plus the weather has not been the greatest here a tent might do well since we have had a few severe thunderstorms in the last 4 days, 3 days with torrential rainfalls. That and yeah comfy bed, just can't beat that, I haven't done sleeping bag in so many years, heck the last time I did I had a sore back for a few days....gave it up after that Sticking out tongue

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote:How exactly did

Magus wrote:

How exactly did you become out of tune with nature?  We humans are a product of nature, our actions are a product of us.  Therefore every building, and technological advance is a part of the natural world.   You never left nature. 

I think the difference is that there is more life in a forest than in an average building.  It is about a desire for being a part of something living, greater and more perfect than us. It is about getting in tune with life itself,  the life which spent billions of years on it's development. Human technology is rather new and primitive, compared to a tree, for example.

As for sleeping under the stars, last time I tried that I needed a half of vodka bottle every time to get asleep in that damn cold. I was fully clothed, in a sleeping bag, in a tent, and it was a sunny summer.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Zymotic
Superfan
Zymotic's picture
User is offlineOffline
I hope you find what you are

I hope you find what you are looking for. something similar to what you are doing, though without any spiritual undertones. I still very much want to, but I will have to wait awhile, as I start college very soon.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

My Brand New Blog - Jesu Ad Nauseum.
God of the Gaps: As knowledge approaches infinity, God approaches zero. It's introductory calculus.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote:therefore every building,& technological advance is-

-part of the natural world. I'm not one that likes to argue,but you could not have been more wrong on this matter.When you go back into Human Nature,you see that for a long time we were part of the natural world (for millions of years)but then came inventions such as farming,writing,religions and armies all of which threw us out of our nature,in fact an argument can be made that says that with all of our technological advances,it has put the brakes on the evolution of mankind.Everything in toady's society has only made us slaves to violence,destruction and pollution of our land-base.We rely on things that has been murdering our planet. 

Signature ? How ?

Magus
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:-part of the

Ken G. wrote:

-part of the natural world. I'm not one that likes to argue,but you could not have been more wrong on this matter.When you go back into Human Nature,you see that for a long time we were part of the natural world (for millions of years)but then came inventions such as farming,writing,religions and armies all of which threw us out of our nature,in fact an argument can be made that says that with all of our technological advances,it has put the brakes on the evolution of mankind.Everything in toady's society has only made us slaves to violence,destruction and pollution of our land-base.We rely on things that has been murdering our planet. 

Everything is natural, you cannot escape that fact, you just really have to think about it.  Humans making farms is just as much natural as ants growing fungus.   Nothing puts a break on the evolution other than extinction.  We are still evolving, slower or faster it doesn't matter evolution != nature, it is simply a part of life which is part of nature... currently.  Yes we make a lot of things and we kill.  I say so what part of that isn't natural?  How exactly is violence, destruction and pollution not a part of nature?  It might be extreme nature, but it is all still nature.  Killing the planet might be part of nature, not really sure it, has not happened yet.  But even if we did destroy all life on this planet it wouldn't kill nature, it would only change it.  There is nothing magical, or unnatural about what we are doing to this planet.  It is part of how we are changing. 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist

Magus
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Magus

Luminon wrote:

Magus wrote:

I think the difference is that there is more life in a forest than in an average building.

More variety maybe. Are we including the microscopic organism that live on us humans as life?  If we are including those, I am not really sure where the numbers stand.

Luminon wrote:

It is about a desire for being a part of something living, greater and more perfect than us.

"more perfect" Makes absolutely no sense to me.  Please define these terms.

Luminon wrote:

It is about getting in tune with life itself,  the life which spent billions of years on it's development. Human technology is rather new and primitive, compared to a tree, for example.

Primitive = less nature? 

Luminon wrote:

As for sleeping under the stars, last time I tried that I needed a half of vodka bottle every time to get asleep in that damn cold. I was fully clothed, in a sleeping bag, in a tent, and it was a sunny summer.

Humans stuff is nice.   How long did you go before you decided vodka would be your sleep aid?  (Serious question)

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Magus wrote:More variety

Magus wrote:

More variety maybe. Are we including the microscopic organism that live on us humans as life?  If we are including those, I am not really sure where the numbers stand.

I can personally say, that being in presence of big, living trees and a living carpet of grass is... well, it replenishes the vitality of organism. It can't be compared to staying in a building. It's not about numbers, it's about the feelings. Perceiving the nature around with all your aura, you know.

Magus wrote:
Luminon wrote:
It is about a desire for being a part of something living, greater and more perfect than us.
I'd like to, but again, it's hard to describe. Let's say... when an atheist and a fan of Carl Sagan looks at the stars on a beautiful night sky, does he think of light years, burning hydrogen and absolute zero temperature?

Magus wrote:
Primitive = less nature?
Actually yes, in a sense. There is a great scientific effort meant to understand the nature, living organisms are products of millions of years of evolution, which made them in some cases very sophisticated. This is why the nature can hardly be considered primitive.

Magus wrote:

Luminon wrote:

Humans stuff is nice.   How long did you go before you decided vodka would be your sleep aid?  (Serious question)

Well, I decided about that in advance. I have originally bought the vodka for socializing purposes, but when the freezing evening came, I decided to use it to feel warm and therefore sleep.
There were otherwise some interesting events. For example, I observed a nearby binary star system through a small telescope, or got almost unconscious by smoking a hookah. Although there were some less pleasant events, the whole gathering was definitely worth of 1000 experience points.

Magus
Magus's picture
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Magus

Luminon wrote:

Magus wrote:

I can personally say, that being in presence of big, living trees and a living carpet of grass is... well, it replenishes the vitality of organism. It can't be compared to staying in a building. It's not about numbers, it's about the feelings. Perceiving the nature around with all your aura, you know.

The feeling?  I don't get it.

Luminon wrote:

Magus wrote:

Luminon wrote:

I'd like to, but again, it's hard to describe. Let's say... when an atheist and a fan of Carl Sagan looks at the stars on a beautiful night sky, does he think of light years, burning hydrogen and absolute zero temperature?

I do.

Luminon wrote:

Magus wrote:
Primitive = less nature?
Actually yes, in a sense. There is a great scientific effort meant to understand the nature, living organisms are products of millions of years of evolution, which made them in some cases very sophisticated. This is why the nature can hardly be considered primitive.

I think my problem with calling something not natural is that well lets take some examples.  A beaver can build a dam  Is a beaver no longer part of nature?  Ants farm fungus, are they no longer part of nature?  Some apes and birds use tools are they no longer a part of nature?  Where is the (blurry) line drawn from nature to not nature? 

Sounds made up...
Agnostic Atheist

LosingStreak06
Theist
LosingStreak06's picture
User is offlineOffline
Might I humbly suggest

Might I humbly suggest peyote?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Try not to get Limes Disease.

Just saying.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
LosingStreak06 wrote:Might I

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty "spiritual".

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness

HisWillness wrote:

LosingStreak06 wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty "spiritual".

This is the first time I've ever heard of this. According to Wikipedia its leagal in Canada, I'll have to look into this.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

Did someone say Salvia?

cervello_marcio
Superfan
cervello_marcio's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Did someone

ClockCat wrote:

Did someone say Salvia?

boring.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Did someone

ClockCat wrote:

Did someone say Salvia?

You mean like...
"these walls, such they be, are crawling with geometric hallucination..."
"Very brightly coloured, very irridescent. Deep sheens and very highly reflective surfaces everything is machine-like and polished and throbbing with energy but that is not what immediately arrests my internal linkattention. What arrests my attention is the fact that this space is inhabited.
"And so like jewelled self dribbling basketballs these things come running forward and what they are doing with this visible internal linklanguage that they create is they are making gifts! They are making gifts for you and they will say ..."

No, I don't smoke the salvia divinorum, I just listen to Shpongle.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I'm back, I might create a

I'm back, I might create a topic about it in a few days once I collect my thoughts together.