atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Trash shows how we are abusing our planet

Quote:
Trash shows how we are abusing our planet

Photo: INLSA

August 09, 2009 Edition 1

The sideshow to the recent municipal strikes revealed once more the deep-seated hypocrisy in our consumer society as public condemnation of strike action, which made visible the dark underbelly of our "modern" and "civilised" society, knew no bounds.

I refer to public reaction when faced with rubbish produced in the name of economic growth, prosperity and "sustainable development".

As any cursory observation would show, the "success" of our consumer society is directly related to the amount of waste, rubbish and pollution we produce. We should have sung and danced in the streets to celebrate our "success" story.

Furthermore, the irony in all of this is that much of the reaction to this visible rubbish came from a segment of our society that is directly responsible for more insidious and life-threatening forms of pollution.

I refer here to those who, for example, drive cars, whose homes are designed to use potable water (our most precious resource) to flush away human waste, and whose purchases and investments directly support the petrochemical and agrochemical industries.

top.DisplayAds('SquareL', 13, 3013); 

What's worse? Walking down a litter-strewn street or inhaling a cocktail of exhaust fumes, drinking E-coli- "enriched" water or consuming a product whose chemical footprint has created an ecological wasteland?

Ideally, none of the above should be a reality, but the fact that we react to pollution and waste only from an aesthetic perspective says much about the real status of 21st century civilisations.

This is a letter From a local newspaper I get, It is refering to recent municipal strikes we have had. Basically the people who collect our rubbish every  week went on strike and marched through Durban really messing the place up with litter.

Basically this all along the path they marched, they empty bins along the side walks etc. (not sure if this is from the recent strike but the result was the same)

This is something I have been thinking about, we worry to much about the aesthetic, when it comes to pollution and environmental problems. But The letter says it far better than I ever could....

So what I am really asking is what do you think?

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Watch Environmental hysteria

EDIT: This video was, essentially, one long strawman fallacy where Penn & Teller decide to attack arguments & assertions that are often made at environmental rallies while neglecting to address the actual science. Bullshit indeed.

It is an indisputable matter of record that the Amazon rainforest is being rapidly eviscerated, that coral reefs are becoming barren, dead and bleached across the globe and that vast swaths of forest in North America are in the process of being destroyed by pine beetles.

Penn & Teller refuse to touch on those issues. Until they do, their brand of bullshit is not welcome anywhere I moderate. 

Peace.

- Kevin R Brown

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Veoh doesn't work in south

Veoh doesn't work in south Africa... that or just not me... i dont know either way i cannot watch it

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 ...How old is that P&T

...How old is that P&T episode, out of curiosity? 

I know that Penn & Teller have softened on their stance in this arena in recent years, as more evidence has gathered, but that type of outright... bullpucky, to use Maddow's term, is infuriating.

What of the absolutely visually conspicuous evidence of incredible environmental damage like the forests in Banff that are being eaten where they stand by pine beetles? Are you saying that this isn't happening? 

What about bleaching coral reefs? That isn't happening either? It's all just a big optical illusion, is it?

The slash and burn tearing-up of the Amazon? That's just some fabrication? Part of the big Science conspiracy to take away your liberties and vaccinate you against your will no doubt?

There really are environmental crisis's. They really do need to be dealt with seriously.

Please don't fucking spread lies about them. 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Quote:EDIT: This video was,

Quote:

EDIT: This video was, essentially, one long strawman fallacy where Penn & Teller decide to attack arguments & assertions that are often made at environmental rallies while neglecting to address the actual science. Bullshit indeed.

It is an indisputable matter of record that the Amazon rainforest is being rapidly eviscerated, that coral reefs are becoming barren, dead and bleached across the globe and that vast swaths of forest in North America are in the process of being destroyed by pine beetles.

Penn & Teller refuse to touch on those issues. Until they do, their brand of bullshit is not welcome anywhere I moderate. 

Peace.

- Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Lying about what someone has or has not said is denying them their right to expression.

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
As far as I know Penn and

As far as I know Penn and Teller are completely useless when it comes to actual science or facts. They just plain don't check they're facts.

Not to say they're not great entertainers but their wrong pretty well ever thing.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin earns himself a black

Kevin earns himself a black mark for censoring opinions. Guess he's gone from being a dumb shit to being a dumb shit without having self confidence that has to censor those who disagree with his idiocy, even when he's right.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Kevin "Killer K-Bot" Brown (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Kevin earns

Vastet wrote:
Kevin earns himself a black mark for censoring opinions. Guess he's gone from being a dumb shit to being a dumb shit without having self confidence that has to censor those who disagree with his idiocy, even when he's right.

OH NOES! I'm on Vastet's blacklist!

WHAT AM I GONNA DO NOW???

It'd be fucking hilarious to see any journal that you or Cpt Assapple could produce. "OH, GEE WHIZ, THIS STATEMENT IS A TOTAL CROCK OF SHIT... BUT IT'D BE *CENSORSHIP* NOT TO GIVE IT THE SAME DIGNITY AS ANY FACTUAL STATEMENT, SO WE BETTER INCLUDE IT!"

Alison: Get fucking bent over a knee. Nothing I said was a lie. Yeah, I censored the old P&T video so it has one less avenue to propagate bad information through. It's on fucking YouTube, so it's not like you can't go and watch it if that's what you really need to hear.

Unlike you & Vastet, I'm not content to just sit on my Goddamn hands and pretend I'm righteous while playing to the PC status quo while things go to Hell in a hand basket. Every liberal or progressive I know right now does the same thing - sit around their house, bitch and moan and write-up blog posts, and pretend like that'll be what makes the difference.

Yeah, champ. You go.

That'll really change the world. 

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin "Killer K-Bot" Brown

Kevin "Killer K-Bot" Brown wrote:

Vastet wrote:

OH NOES! I'm on Vastet's blacklist!

WHAT AM I GONNA DO NOW???

It'd be fucking hilarious to see any journal that you or Cpt Assapple could produce. "OH, GEE WHIZ, THIS STATEMENT IS A TOTAL CROCK OF SHIT... BUT IT'D BE *CENSORSHIP* NOT TO GIVE IT THE SAME DIGNITY AS ANY FACTUAL STATEMENT, SO WE BETTER INCLUDE IT!"

Alison: Get fucking bent over a knee. Nothing I said was a lie. Yeah, I censored the old P&T video so it has one less avenue to propagate bad information through. It's on fucking YouTube, so it's not like you can't go and watch it if that's what you really need to hear.

Unlike you & Vastet, I'm not content to just sit on my Goddamn hands and pretend I'm righteous while playing to the PC status quo while things go to Hell in a hand basket. Every liberal or progressive I know right now does the same thing - sit around their house, bitch and moan and write-up blog posts, and pretend like that'll be what makes the difference.

Yeah, champ. You go.

That'll really change the world. 

goddamn, just how much trotsky have you gone on to read?  we'll make a leninist out of you yet!

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
OH NOES!! I care what a

OH NOES!! I care what a fascist thinks!

Oh.. wait.. no I don't.

"It'd be fucking hilarious to see any journal that you or Cpt Assapple could produce. "

Anything I wrote would automatically be a hundred times better than your drivel.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

MrPal
Superfan
MrPal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Newb friendly?

I'm confused by this thread...  What just happened?

What I've gathered is Kevin the moderator became Kevin the unverified (which I guess means banned) for editing someone's post... Okay I guess I'm not so confused, it must be the forum software throwing me for a loop.  I mean, the first three posts are made, then the next one by Kevin is made over 2 months later, and if the account Kevin R Brown "moderator" is intact why is the other Kevin account not verified...  I could go on too.  I need some clarification, people!  

Also I thought I'd comment that I remember Kevin R Brown as the rather angry guy from back when I first joined on my first account (Religious_Rebel, read my recent intro thread if you're confused) and though I didn't like him much at the time I suppose he too helped me like a lot of others here have.  Just wanted to say that.

I never thought there were corners in my mind until I was told to stand in one.

I have learned so much, thanks for keeping it real RRS.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:goddamn, just how

Quote:
goddamn, just how much trotsky have you gone on to read?  we'll make a leninist out of you yet! 

I think it's safe to say, at this point, 'everything that has been translated into English'.

I have to say, the rum goes down smoothly.

Quote:
What I've gathered is Kevin the moderator became Kevin the unverified (which I guess means banned) for editing someone's post... Okay I guess I'm not so confused, it must be the forum software throwing me for a loop.  I mean, the first three posts are made, then the next one by Kevin is made over 2 months later, and if the account Kevin R Brown "moderator" is intact why is the other Kevin account not verified...  I could go on too.  I need some clarification, people!

What happened was that I was so doped-up that I forgot my password, so I posted using the Anonymous form. H1N1 infection is the balls, by the by.

Every mod on the mod team (well, everyone that spoke up about it, anyway) vehemently disagrees with what I did. I stand by it, but I'm not much of a team player. In any case, I'm pretty sure my ability to edit posts has been revoked, so it's one less point of contention for the future, anyway.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940