Animal rights activists toast pharmacology company CEO's home

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Animal rights activists toast pharmacology company CEO's home

http://www.cnbc.com/id/32286665

article wrote:

I am heartbroken.

A couple of weeks ago I made the extremely difficult decision to put my four-year-old half-black lab/half-comedian dog, Dash, to sleep. Without any kind of warning or build-up, he lunged at a toddler while I was walking him. I restrained him, but in his uncontrollable frenzy he bit me instead. It was the latest in an escalating string of incidents. A behavioral expert subsequently diagnosed him with "genetic, abnormal aggression" and said it was "very risky" to keep him or to try to pass him along to another owner or rescue program. On the one hand, I am hesitant to write about it because I fear it's going to unleash a flurry of hateful emails. But on the other hand, in the context of this blog entry, I just wanted to preface it by saying I'm an animal lover, especially dogs.

As long as it's done as humanely as possible, I have learned in my years covering the pharma/biotech beat about the importance lab animal research plays in the research and development of potential drugs for humans. I'm hesitant to write that as well fearing animal rights activists will send me nasty emails, or worse.

But can it get any worse than this?

Reports surfaced this morning that animal rights activists are suspected of setting fire to and badly damaging the vacation home of Novartis CEO Daniel Vasella in the wee hours of the morning yesterday.

A company spokesperson says it's a modest place in a small town in Austria. And rather than worry the residents of the hamlet, a company spokesperson says the CEO has decided to sell the property. The arsonists allegedly poured gasoline on both sides of the front door and lit a match.

But the criminals didn't stop there.

Vandals also took the urn containing the ashes of Mr. Vasella's mother from her gravesite and spray-painted "Drop HLS Now" on the headstone. HLS is a lab in the UK where testing is done on animals. But NVS cnbc_comboQuoteMove('popup_nvs_ID0EEIAC15839609');[NVS  45.62    0.15  (+0.33%)   ] cnbc_quoteComponent_init_getData("nvs","WSODQ_COMPONENT_NVS_ID0EEIAC15839609","WSODQ","true","ID0EEIAC15839609","off","false","inLineQuote"); says it doesn't contract with that company anymore. Yes, animal testing, in general, is still done, but a good portion of it in recent years has also been replaced by sophisticated computer modeling and other new technologies.

The home, of course, is replaceable. But can you imagine how Mr. Vasella and his family must feel about the grave-robbing? Unbelievable.

I first found out about all this from a tweet (message) on Twitter. But when I followed up with the company, I learned there's much more to this disturbing story.

A spokesperson says there's been an escalating series of attacks beginning last December with employees' cars being destroyed, "amateurish" explosive devices being placed under car tires (they didn't go off), employee homes being vandalized and the company's tennis center at HQ in Europe being set on fire. No one has been hurt or killed.

But then, on July 16th the spokesperson says slogans were painted on the roadway leading up to Mr. Vasella's main residence. Are you ready? According to the spokesperson they said, "Vasella is a killer. We are watching you. Death to Vasella. We'll be back." Other stuff, I'm told, was even more crude.

If my memory serves me correctly, the CEO of Chiron, the vaccine/biotech company that Novartis bought, had similar security issues several years ago. The company, for obvious reasons, won't discuss security measures it's taking. Novartis is working with law enforcement authorities who reportedly have pictures of suspects caught in the act. The company has chosen to keep things publicly on the down low and is only responding to media inquiries in the wake of the arson and grave robbery.

The frightening incidents at Novartis pale in comparison to the grief I'm feeling, but yesterday I got Dash's ashes. They'll be spread this weekend at his "happy place," also known as the nature preserve where he loved to take long walks.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
peta.... for those to stupid

peta.... for those to stupid to join a religion.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm honestly amazed. What

I'm honestly amazed. What the hell were they thinking? As if it's not easy enough to paint a pharmaceutical company as the bad guy and fight their cause politically, now nobody will have any sympathy for them, and the government can label them "terrorists". Stupid.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

cervello_marcio
Superfan
cervello_marcio's picture
User is offlineOffline
The people that are in these

The people that are in these groups, that perpetrate these actions on a continual basis, honestly need to grow out of their 13-year old politics. Their hypocrisy is simply breathtaking, and their disregard for their fellow man makes me sick. I think about them every time I bite into a steak, and it's truly hard to tell what I derive satisfaction from more: the taste of the meat, or the taste of dem apples. 

"Do not, as some ungracious pastors do, show me the steep and thorny way to heaven. Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine, himself the primrose path of dalliance treads. And recks not his own rede."

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm... maybe i was wrong

Hmm... maybe i was wrong about PETA...

Arson, Check

Graverobbing, Check

Murder, Check

Vandalism, Check

Fraud, Check

Slander, Check

Theft, Check

... i think i like PETA o_O

What Would Kharn Do?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:Hmm...

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Arson, Check

Graverobbing, Check

Murder, Check

Vandalism, Check

Fraud, Check

Slander, Check

Theft, Check

Animal lovers: check.
No you don't. Sticking out tongue

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:The Doomed Soul

Vastet wrote:
The Doomed Soul wrote:

Arson, Check

Graverobbing, Check

Murder, Check

Vandalism, Check

Fraud, Check

Slander, Check

Theft, Check

Animal lovers: check. No you don't. :P

You can uncheck the animal lovers

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christians, for one example,

Christians, for one example, have been killing people they love for hundreds of years.

Recheck animal lovers. Sticking out tongue

Tapey
atheist
Tapey's picture
User is offlineOffline
You are forcing me to go

You are forcing me to go scottish. They are not true Christians so they don't love those people

Uncheck! uncheck! uncheck!

Whatever goes upon two legs is an enemy.
Whatever goes upon four legs, or has wings, is a friend.
No animal shall wear clothes.
No animal shall sleep in a bed.
No animal shall drink alcohol.
No animal shall kill any other animal.
All animals are equal.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
As it happens, I have a

As it happens, I have a Scottish background. Recheck Recheck Recheck. Sticking out tongue

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lifes a bitch

No matter where you are on the food chain, lifes a bitch.

The terrorists that committed the crimes reported should be prosecuted and punished to the fullest extent of the law.

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:As it happens,

Vastet wrote:
As it happens, I have a Scottish background. Recheck Recheck Recheck. :P

And as it happens I am Scottish... so fuck all ya'll, none of you are True Scotsman (TM)

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

And I'm Irish. So lets have a drink and forget any of this ever happened.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
As it happens

I use to bartend at an english pub and had to deal with all you wankers, english, Irish and scots......so yeah I can serve you the drinks and get you all fucked Sticking out tongue

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote:Vastet

MichaelMcF wrote:

Vastet wrote:
As it happens, I have a Scottish background. Recheck Recheck Recheck. :P

And as it happens I am Scottish... so fuck all ya'll, none of you are True Scotsman (TM)

Damn you!

Wait a sec, you didn't disagree with me....

Win?