Question for Everyone: What differentiates Christian Morality from Atheist?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Question for Everyone: What differentiates Christian Morality from Atheist?

I just stunned myself with a rather interesting thought.  I was thinking about how Francis Collins' evangelical Christian beliefs might get in the way of his objectivity as director of the NIH.  When it came down to brass tacks, I could only think of a few areas where Christians typically differ from atheists in their assessment of what is good or bad morally:

1) Sex.  Most Christians have some kind of non-scientific view of sex.  Abstinence before marriage, masturbation is bad, etc, etc.  

2) Abortion.  The overwhelming majority of people who support banning abortion are Christians.  It's damn hard to find a non-theist who favors banning abortion.

3) Marriage, childbearing, childrearing.  Christians think of marriage as a magic pact between god and two people.  Atheists don't.  Some Christians think of children as the manifestation of God's will.  Atheists tend to view them as the result of sexual intercourse.

4) Homosexuality.  Many Christians believe homosexuality is immoral.  Most atheists do not.

Can anyone think of any common Christian moral beliefs that differ substantially from a naturalist morality?

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Presuppositionalist
Theist
Presuppositionalist's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

Vastet wrote:
Presuppositionalist wrote:

Vastet wrote:
"Christians have a "non-scientific" moral perspective on sex? Huh. See, I thought science had nothing to say about ethics. I thought the purpose of science was to describe nature, not to prescribe moral rules. In fact, I'm absolutely certain of that. But that would mean that there aren't any "non-scientific" views of sex, wouldn't it?" Oh no you don't. Hamby didn't say that. You're putting words in his mouth. Look again. "Most Christians have some kind of non-scientific view of sex." I don't see the words "moral perspective" anywhere.

...which is why I didn't quote him as saying "moral perspective." If you actually read his post, it's obvious from the context that he could only have meant "moral view." He goes on to talk about moral prohibitions against abortions and masturbation, after all.

Which are theistic, not scientific.

Right. And HE said that they were unscientific. And I said that science has nothing to say about ethics in the first place.

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Can anyone

Hambydammit wrote:

Can anyone think of any common Christian moral beliefs that differ substantially from a naturalist morality?

The biggest and most dangerous difference is that too many Christians believe it is their moral duty to stop other people from being immoral. And before all you theists get your panties in a bunch I know that not ALL so called Christians go on crusades but you can't ignore the fact that gay marriage and other similar morality issues cause those Christians to come out of the woodwork. And a majority of Christians seem to believe they have a moral obligation to "save" me. 

Also I will concede that some groups of atheists attempt to force their morality onto others such as the enviro wackos but atheists as a group tend to be far more tolerant of moral codes different from theirs.

As for the abortion thing, just want to point out there are some of us atheists opposed to abortion, like me. I only believe in post-birth abortions.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Beyond Saving wrote: And a

Beyond Saving wrote:

And a majority of Christians seem to believe they have a moral obligation to "save" me. 

Well, the rational response, squad, and a shit load of atheist want to save theist as well. "Believe in God? we can fix that", as this sites motto goes, and if you believe as Vastet that theism is the greatest evil facing mankind, i'm sure you'd also be on a rampant mission to save people.

Beyond Saving
atheist
Beyond Saving's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theism isn't the greatest

Theism isn't the greatest evil facing mankind but is  certainly one of them. While some atheists take a more proactive role in trying to make Christians rational most of us are quite tolerant and only respond when our noses are forced into religion. Personally I don't see a point in going out of my way to make people rational, it is usually a waste of time. I'm not aware of any large sect of atheists trying to coerce or pressure people into a group to push their views onto them. I have had several Christians publicly pressure me into attending church services, or pray, or have made comments like "I will pray that you find god" blah blah blah like I have an illness etc. Atheists are becoming more vocal in recent years but I am not aware of any proactive movement to convert people to atheism. We might make fun of theists sometimes but for the most of us don't care what you think if you leave us alone. The problem arises when theists refuse to leave us alone. "Believe in God? We can fix that" really only applies to those theists that come here for honest intellectual discussion and are willing to challenge their own beliefs. Most atheists have attended church at some point and many have read the bible. Some even know the bible better than most Christians, but very few Christians are willing to entertain a rational conversation challenging their beliefs without resorting to "Your going to hell". Or looking at you like some kind of alien. I have even had people who are very close to me say some pretty horrible things about whats going to happen to me because of my beliefs. If there is a God and he is going to send me to Hell for not believing in him I'm not on his side anyway. I hate vain self-aggrandizing dictators.

Again I will emphasize that not ALL Christians are that way. There are even a few who have plunged into our little corner of the net and have had serious discussions. I'm just making statements about what I have experienced in my life. Take it for what its worth, anecdotal evidence.  

If, if a white man puts his arm around me voluntarily, that's brotherhood. But if you - if you hold a gun on him and make him embrace me and pretend to be friendly or brotherly toward me, then that's not brotherhood, that's hypocrisy.- Malcolm X

Balkoth
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist

Quote:
3. Christians don't need to be much concerned with the environment.

What obligation does the atheist have to protect the environment? And why wouldn't the same reasoning apply to the Christian?

Even if there were no moral obligation for the Christian to protect the environment, doesn't he have a pretty obvious pragmatic reason to do so?

At least some Christians think one of two things:

1, Judgment Day is coming really soon and global warming isn't going to matter

2, God would never allow global warming to happen due to his covenant with us (often linked to the rainbow after Noah's Flood)

And by "at least some Christians" I mean some Congresspeople on the Global Warming Committee, among others.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Right. And HE said

Quote:
Right. And HE said that they were unscientific. And I said that science has nothing to say about ethics in the first place.

Except that science doesn't have anything to say about ethical issues. But it's certainly good at explaining why they are, and why they are what they are. None of these stem from the supernatural, but very natural biology.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Quote:Right.

Vastet wrote:
Quote:

Except that science doesn't have anything to say about ethical issues.

Right. I said that.

Quote:
 But it's certainly good at explaining why they are, and why they are what they are. None of these stem from the supernatural, but very natural biology.

I'm not sure what this means. I'll take a reasonable guess. This seems to be a muddled way of saying that science can explain certain emotions that we have, emotions which we associate with or perhaps which incline us toward certain moral judgments. But there is no reason, certainly no scientific reason, why we should use such emotions as a guide to forming the moral code that we consciously hammer out and obey, even if they are associated with certain moral judgments.

And you're taking an odd position on the emotions. Although biology probably plays an important role, our emotions are largely shaped by the beliefs we acquire after birth.

Q: Why didn't you address (post x) that I made in response to you nine minutes ago???

A: Because I have (a) a job, (b) familial obligations, (c) social obligations, and (d) probably a lot of other atheists responded to the same post you did, since I am practically the token Christian on this site now. Be patient, please.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"Right. I said that." Right.

"Right. I said that."
Right. So did I.
"I'm not sure what this means."
That is apparent. I don't know why, it's remarkably simple. For your information, emotion and self preservation are the keystones of morality. There is every scientific reason to use them. You give me a moral that doesn't stem from emotion and self preservation, and I'll show you that it isn't a moral to one who doesn't believe in fairy tales.

Ciarin
Theist
Ciarin's picture
User is offlineOffline
Why are you guys's restating

Why are you guys restating each other's positions?

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: You give me a

Vastet wrote:
You give me a moral that doesn't stem from emotion and self preservation,  and I'll show you that it isn't a moral to one who doesn't believe in fairy tales.

an individual who risk his own life and his families life to hide a jewish family during the holocaust. 

Now, explain the self-preservation part for me?

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"Right. I said

Vastet wrote:
"Right. I said that." Right. So did I.

Okay, but why did you restate my opinion of four posts ago as if I had overlooked it?

Quote:
"I'm not sure what this means." That is apparent. I don't know why, it's remarkably simple. For your information, emotion and self preservation are the keystones of morality.

I assume you mean that we should act based upon "emotion and self preservation." That is not obvious. You have the burden of proof for this claim. Again, there are certainly emotions which we associate with moral judgments (for example, I may feel angry about many of the same things that I consider evil), but that is not a reason to make moral judgments based upon those emotions. Indeed, as I said in my last post, those emotions may follow from our moral beliefs. If that's true, then your method amounts to making moral judgments just on the basis of previous moral judgments - and of course nothing guarantees that your previous moral judgments were right.

Quote:
There is every scientific reason to use them.

This is a strange position. What would a "scientific reason" to believe a normative claim even look like? What scientific reason is there to believe that I should act based upon "emotion and self preservation"? Can you test that proposition? How?

Quote:
You give me a moral that doesn't stem from emotion and self preservation, and I'll show you that it isn't a moral to one who doesn't believe in fairy tales.

The fact that many moral judgments are in fact made on the basis of our emotions does not imply that our moral judgments should be made on the basis of our emotions. (By analogy, most people in fact form their religious beliefs based upon feeling and intuition. I'm sure you'll agree that this does not mean we should form our religious beliefs based on feelings and intuition.)

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote:an

theTwelve wrote:

an individual who risk his own life and his families life to hide a jewish family during the holocaust. 

Now, explain the self-preservation part for me?

So simple. By helping others, you increase the likely hood of being helped yourself in times of need.

Okay, but why did you restate my opinion of four posts ago as if I had overlooked it?

I was stating a fact that you presented as an opinion.

I assume you mean that we should act based upon "emotion and self preservation." That is not obvious.

Yes, it is. That's why we do it.

Regarding the rest of your strange position, do you really believe there is no way to test the effects of murder, theft, and rape? How ridiculous.

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Can anyone

Hambydammit wrote:

That wasn't your question.

You asked what differentiated Christian morality from the atheist morality.  Here's your answer:

Christians have an objective basis.  According to the Christian worldview, moral principles are derived from the character of God.  Thus, goodness is essentially a manifestation of God himself.  Since God is an absolute being, we have grounds to say that certain things are always right and certain things are always wrong, whether or not we agree with them.  Morality is then not subordinated to anything else.  It simply is its own end.

Atheists have no objective basis.  Under a godless worldview, all you have are the personal opinions of people or societies.  Typically, morality ends up being a means to some end (such as societal affluence or proliferation of a species).  Or if you want to defer to a higher authority that is not God, you have morality being dictated by a finite being.  Atheists have no leg to stand on in this area and I have yet to find an atheist who can offer a basis for morality that is not arbitrary.

Of course, there are many atheists who share the Christian views about sex, abortion, the sanctity of marriage, etc.  So you are just making unwarranted generalizations. 

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:So simple. By

Vastet wrote:

So simple. By helping others, you increase the likely hood of being helped yourself in times of need.

There is absolutely no purely logical connection between "helping others" and "increasing the likelihood of being helped yourself".  Likewise, there really is no purely logical connection between "right and wrong" and "self-preservation".  You are making empirical statements.   

These may only show why we may do a certain action.  But it does not tell us whether or not a certain action is right or wrong.

Moreover, your model does not explain kindness towards strangers.  If I help someone whom I may never see again, how does that increase the likelihood that someone will help me? 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
There most certainly is.

There most certainly is. Your response is bald and unsupported, and ignores a hundred years of psychological studies.

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock wrote:Vastet

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

Vastet wrote:

There is absolutely no purely logical connection between "helping others" and "increasing the likelihood of being helped yourself".  Likewise, there really is no purely logical connection between "right and wrong" and "self-preservation".  You are making empirical statements.   

These may only show why we may do a certain action.  But it does not tell us whether or not a certain action is right or wrong.

Moreover, your model does not explain kindness towards strangers.  If I help someone whom I may never see again, how does that increase the likelihood that someone will help me? 

Taken in isolation, there is no 'logical' connection between "helping others" and "increasing the likelihood of being helped yourself", but adding in the knowledge that, as a social species, we all tend to remember past actions of other members of our group towards us, and instinctively assume that others will similarly remember our actions to them. This provides the connection. This behavior has been scientifically demonstrated in both humans and other social animals.

Empathy helps to explain kindness toward strangers - the positive emotional reward system which encourages us to behave positively towards members of our group can flow over into our attitude to strangers. In any case, if a stranger shows no indication to be aggressive toward us, behaving positively toward them will encourage positive response to us. We cannot necessarily be sure we will never meet them again, and even if we don't, we may well increase our positive points within our group.

This has been studies extensively in Game Theory, and the concept of  Evolutionary Stable Strategies. This is about what are the best strategies to decide how to respond  to and treat others in the long term, in terms of the best outcome for the group.

The most consistently successful strategy is "Tit for Tat", best described by four 'rules':

1. Never be the first to defect 
2. Retaliate only after your partner has defected 
3. Be prepared to forgive after carrying out just one act of retaliation 
4. Adopt this strategy only if the probability of meeting the same player again exceeds 2/3.

So Science has studied and revealed more insights into this business of the 'best' way to interact with others far more thoroughly than you have. This approach provides a truly objective approach to developing ethical guidelines, as against the ultimately arbitrary religious approach of enshrining a mix of normal empathic social responses and primitive tribal taboos into a holy book.

As to the ideas of 'right' and 'wrong', they are matters of opinion and personal judgement.

EDIT:

The impression may be that these are conscious calculations, but this is normally not true. As thinking entities, we have brought such ideas into our conscious minds, but that is not necessary for such 'strategies' to evolve even among much more primitive life-forms.

The sub-conscious aspect explains how such ideas as 'right' and 'wrong' arise - they are the labels which we apply to the 'instinctive' and/or intuitive positive and negative reactions which various ideas and observed behaviors trigger in us.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:There most

Vastet wrote:
There most certainly is. Your response is bald and unsupported, and ignores a hundred years of psychological studies.

What I've stated was that there is no PURELY LOGICAL connection between "helping others" and "increasing the likelihood of being helped yourself."

In other words, "increasing the likelihood of being helped yourself" is not contained in the definition of "helping others".  Therefore, you are putting forth a synthetic proposition. 

Any psychological studies may establish some a posteriori truths but you still have no necessity through which your claims can be grounded.  All you have are empirical claims.

By the way, how do you know that there is nobody who helps others for reasons other than increasing the likelihood of being helped themselves?  Have you observed every mind in existence?

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Taken in

BobSpence1 wrote:

Taken in isolation, there is no 'logical' connection between "helping others" and "increasing the likelihood of being helped yourself", but adding in the knowledge that, as a social species, we all tend to remember past actions of other members of our group towards us, and instinctively assume that others will similarly remember our actions to them. This provides the connection. This behavior has been scientifically demonstrated in both humans and other social animals.

I never said that there was no connection.  I'm saying that there is no purely logical connection, whether or not you take the statement in isolation.  All you are giving me are empirical truths which do nothing other than explain how someone may derive their moral knowledge, but says absolutely nothing about whether or not something is right or wrong.

Quote:
Empathy helps to explain kindness toward strangers - the positive emotional reward system which encourages us to behave positively towards members of our group can flow over into our attitude to strangers. In any case, if a stranger shows no indication to be aggressive toward us, behaving positively toward them will encourage positive response to us. We cannot necessarily be sure we will never meet them again, and even if we don't, we may well increase our positive points within our group.

So do you agree that "By helping others, you increase the likely hood of being helped yourself in times of need" does not account for kindness towards strangers?

Quote:
So Science has studied and revealed more insights into this business of the 'best' way to interact with others far more thoroughly than you have.

What do you mean "Science"?  My understanding was that science is a field of study and not something that researches things.  Did you mean that certain scientists have researched this more than me? 

It really doesn't matter.  We do not need your scientists or "Game Theory" in order to acquire moral knowledge anymore than you need to believe in God in order to employ metaphysical concepts such as logic or morals.  This is a classic example of the noetic effect of sin.

Quote:
As to the ideas of 'right' and 'wrong', they are matters of opinion and personal judgement.

So is it a matter of opinion that the Holocaust was wrong?

Is it a matter of opinion that it is wrong to violently rape a small child?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
And then Bob blasted your

And then Bob blasted your dreams to ribbons. I didn't put that much effort into it because your whole post was ridiculous, and it wasn't necessary. Repeating yourself weakens your already hopeless arguments further, if possible.

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:And then Bob

Vastet wrote:
And then Bob blasted your dreams to ribbons. I didn't put that much effort into it because your whole post was ridiculous, and it wasn't necessary. Repeating yourself weakens your already hopeless arguments further, if possible.

So here are some points of fact:

(1) You put forth an argument and did not offer any justification or sources whatsoever, and this was even before Bob responded.

(2) You are essentially relying on other people (who are apparently much smarter than you) to fight your battles and pretending that you are doing so because it is not worth your time, which is indirectly insulting Bob as you are essentially saying that your time is more valuable than his.

(3) You continue to launch ad hominem attacks and still do not offer any justification except by citing someone who just wrote a response, which is essentially an appeal to a second-hand authority on scientific matters.

You are hilarious.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
1) It's called common sense.

1) It's called common sense. Too bad you don't have it.
2) Bob knows by now the limits I face in posting, and your attempt to make it look like I'm insulting him is just laughable.
3) Says a guy who hasn't backed up a single assertion and has launched ad hominems himself.
You would be funny if you weren't so hopelessly outclassed.

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:1) It's called

Vastet wrote:
1) It's called common sense. Too bad you don't have it. 2) Bob knows by now the limits I face in posting, and your attempt to make it look like I'm insulting him is just laughable. 3) Says a guy who hasn't backed up a single assertion and has launched ad hominems himself. You would be funny if you weren't so hopelessly outclassed.

Oh, so now we are deferring to "common sense" to justify our views?  Are you aware that in most of the world, it is "common sense" that God exists?  I can dig up the statistics for you if you want.

LOL.  So you are limited?  Are you admitting that you do not know what you are talking about? 

You are the one who said that my post was so ridiculous that you didn't even want to respond to it.  It wasn't worthy of your response, due to its silliness.  Apparently, it only warranted the response of someone with less worth than you, I presume?

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:The

BobSpence1 wrote:

The sub-conscious aspect explains how such ideas as 'right' and 'wrong' arise - they are the labels which we apply to the 'instinctive' and/or intuitive positive and negative reactions which various ideas and observed behaviors trigger in us.

Yet again you present concepts with no logical connection to one another.  And while this may explain the origin of certain moral ideas, you still do not account for any sort of objective guiding posts.

It is possible that there could be an individual whose neurological wiring is such that he has intuitive positive reactions to having sex with small boys.  So here you are in a quagmire, as you've reduced morality to physics and now you have no external guiding post to what one ought to do because the same basis for the individual we call "moral" is now the basis for the person that we would call "immoral."

Your only recourse would be to use proliferation of species as a basis, which presumes yet another model which cannot account for any sort of objective right and wrong. 

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

I never said that there was no connection.  I'm saying that there is no purely logical connection, whether or not you take the statement in isolation.  All you are giving me are empirical truths which do nothing other than explain how someone may derive their moral knowledge, but says absolutely nothing about whether or not something is right or wrong.

It is totally irrelevant to anything that there is no 'purely logical connection' between those statements. Empirical knowledge is essential to understand actual rather than purely hypothetical or deductive truths about reality.

I was not trying to define 'right' and 'wrong' in that part of my post.

So your response here amounts to a pure non-sequitur/

Quote:

Quote:

So do you agree that "By helping others, you increase the likely hood of being helped yourself in times of need" does not account for kindness towards strangers?

No. That is an absurdly simplistic comment on what I said.

Quote:

Quote:
So Science has studied and revealed more insights into this business of the 'best' way to interact with others far more thoroughly than you have.

What do you mean "Science"?  My understanding was that science is a field of study and not something that researches things.  Did you mean that certain scientists have researched this more than me? 

It is both, and more - it is a set of methods of research and testing and verification of observations and theories, to get progressively more accurate and complete descriptions of all entities and processes and interactions between entities, from the sub-atomic to the cosmological, from simple 'matter' to conscious life.

You obviously have not done any worthwhile research into this subject, judging by your comments.

Quote:

It really doesn't matter.  We do not need your scientists or "Game Theory" in order to acquire moral knowledge anymore than you need to believe in God in order to employ metaphysical concepts such as logic or morals.  This is a classic example of the noetic effect of sin.

I was not saying we get our basic moral knowledge from Science and game theory, but it reveals insights into why we tend to have the morals we have, where they come from, and why even non-human animals display some of the same patterns of behavior and reaction to others, such as a basic sense of 'fairness'.

Quote:

Quote:

So is it a matter of opinion that the Holocaust was wrong?

Is it a matter of opinion that it is wrong to violently rape a small child?

Ultimately, yes. However, the advantages of co-operation and mutual assistance in a social group over violent and destructive behavior have lead to us having a 'built-in' negative reaction against such behavior, as well as the feeling of empathy, which helps drive such cooperative behavior. This is why personal opinions and judgement are normally against such behavior as you describe, since they are very strongly influenced by such instinctive reactions.

Since 'right' and 'wrong' really only make sense in a social context, social consensus is very important in determining what is 'should' be classified as right or wrong.

If, somehow, the vast majority of individuals in a society were accepting of actions which we find repugnant, including the 'victims', and the behavior did not lead to wholesale death and destruction of the society, then we would have no 'right' to label them 'wrong', any more than we should regard the common behavior of a female spider in killing and eating the male after mating as 'wrong'.

'Rape' is by definition 'wrong', otherwise it would be described merely as 'having sex'. I note in passing that 'rape' is not explicitly condemned in the Bible, AFAIK. It certainly isn't even in the Ten Commandments'.

'Violent' may or may not be problematic, depending on the attitudes of the individuals - some people appear to get excited by a degree of 'violence' in sexual activities. 

It is generally accepted that violence of any kind against children is 'wrong', ie damaging to the victims and to society in general.

The holocaust was strongly influenced by attitudes of one religion against another, so it is arguably an example of the negative effects that religious attitudes can have in either overcoming our more positive instincts and/or playing up our more negative impulses.

Our tendencies to violence, which might be argued counter the the claim of natural positive ethics, are inappropriate triggering of competitive or defensive behavior which are necessary in other circumstances. Natural selection will tend to keep the balance of competitive/cooperative/violent roughly optimal. 

Unfortunately, we now live in societies very different in many ways to that which we evolved in, so our natural reactions are more likely than once they would have been to be inappropriate, ie 'wrong'.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:There most

Vastet wrote:

All, you're doing vastet, is trying to dress up the hindhu idea of karma, it's bogus, but you don't see that too well do you?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Belief does not equate to

Belief does not equate to common sense.
Yes, I'm posting with a PS3, which has limitations on characters, formatting, and windows. Nice try though. Oh wait.... no it wasn't.
Keep making a fool of yourself though, it pleases me. Smiling

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote:Vastet

theTwelve wrote:

Vastet wrote:

All, you're doing vastet, is trying to dress up the hindhu idea of karma, it's bogus, but you don't see that too well do you?

You too. I'm sure you'll get that troll badge any day now. Smiling

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
vastet wrote: So simple. By

vastet wrote:

Yea, that's pretty simple, but utterly stupid. The various German families who risked their lives to hide their Jewish neighbors, didn't do so because they thought to themselves that by helping them, they would increase the likely-hood of being helped in a time of need. 

My father didn't feed the homeless, nor did I volunteer at a shelter, because of a weird belief in karma, that somehow feeding a bum, was going to garner me some magical help in a time of need, by doing so. 

The German families who hid Jewish strangers, didn't do so for the sake of self-preservation, in fact they acted contrary to that. The Germans who refused to aid their Jewish neighbors, did so out of self-preservation, to safeguard their lives. 

It doesn't even follow in any logic or coherent sense, that they acted as they did, because they though some mysterious sort of help would arrive when they were in need as well.

You're just trying to pass off religious nonsense, perhaps you should learn to get a clue. 

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I guess even simple is too

I guess even simple is too much for you. No big surprise when looking at the quality of your posts.

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:I guess even

Vastet wrote:
I guess even simple is too much for you. No big surprise when looking at the quality of your posts.

Uhm, yea, you should probably learn to speak for yourself. And when you finally learn how to respond to a post let me know.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ah beautiful irony. You have

Ah beautiful irony. You have 103 posts, but you have yet to say anything meaningful at all. When your education finally surpasses high school, come back and we'll discuss my qualifications.

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Ah beautiful

Vastet wrote:
Ah beautiful irony. You have 103 posts, but you have yet to say anything meaningful at all. When your education finally surpasses high school, come back and we'll discuss my qualifications.

Vastet, while there are quite a few intelligent atheist in this forum, such as Bob Spence, or Nigelthebold, PaultheSkeptic, you are not one of them, you belong to the ranks of the MattShizles, and Brian78, you're more of their puppet, or their mascot. It's why you're never too far from giving them head, and no one ever seems to be returning you the favor.

I may be offensive, I may get under a few people skins, but I doubt anyone other than yourself would care to imply that I'm an idiot, or that their intellectual capacity is greater than mine. 

If Bob Spence were to claim that my intelligence barely surpasses that of a high schooler, I just might take that seriously, but hearing you do so, is rather funny, like a Hovind calling Dawkins an idiot.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
More straw men and ad

More straw men and ad hominems. Let me give you a tip: I can out troll you. I can also out debate you, as evidenced by your sad and increasingly evident regress further into trolldom.
As a final blow for this response, pretty well everyone here thinks you're an idiot. That's why I'm pretty well the only one still responding to your delusions. But not all hope is lost. Contrary to your belief, I don't think your intellectual capacity is lesser to anyones. You have intelligence, you just don't have the education to make something out of it. This is something that only you can change.

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:It is

BobSpence1 wrote:

It is totally irrelevant to anything that there is no 'purely logical connection' between those statements.

It is absolutely relevant.  It forces us to focus on the fact that that connection you make between concepts is one that is justified on contingent grounds and does not amount to any sort of rational basis for justifying absolute ought statements.

Quote:
Empirical knowledge is essential to understand actual rather than purely hypothetical or deductive truths about reality.

"I read a lot of philosophy a long time ago, and I still have a few 'heroes', such as Bertrand Russell, David Hume, and Daniel Dennett."

Your "hero" David Hume disagrees with you:

"It is impossible, therefore, that any arguments from experience can prove this resemblance of the past to the future; since all these arguments are founded on the supposition of that resemblance. Let the course of things be allowed hitherto ever so regular; that alone, without some new argument or inference, proves not that, for the future, it will continue so. In vain do you pretend to have learned the nature of bodies from your past experience. Their secret nature, and consequently all their effects and influence, may change, without any change in their sensible qualities. This happens sometimes, and with regard to some objects: Why may it not happen always, and with regard to all objects?"

http://18th.eserver.org/hume-enquiry.html

Quote:
I was not saying we get our basic moral knowledge from Science and game theory, but it reveals insights into why we tend to have the morals we have, where they come from, and why even non-human animals display some of the same patterns of behavior and reaction to others, such as a basic sense of 'fairness'.

Which is all irrelevant to the question of why we ought to do A instead of B.

I'll respond to the rest of your post later.

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Belief does not

Vastet wrote:
Belief does not equate to common sense. Yes, I'm posting with a PS3, which has limitations on characters, formatting, and windows. Nice try though. Oh wait.... no it wasn't. Keep making a fool of yourself though, it pleases me. Smiling

How on Earth does belief not equate to common sense?  If the majority of society agrees on a particular thing, that particular thing becomes "common sense".  The majority of society agrees that "God exists" is a true statement.  Therefore, it is common sense in most societies that God exists, just as it was common sense at one point in time that all black people were less human than caucasians.

You are posting on a PS3?  Do you also spend your Saturday nights playing Dungeons and Dragons? 

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Taken in

BobSpence1 wrote:
Taken in isolation, there is no 'logical' connection between "helping others" and "increasing the likelihood of being helped yourself", but adding in the knowledge that, as a social species, we all tend to remember past actions of other members of our group towards us

Well, he was responding to a comment of vastets, which began with a claim that individuals who risked their lives to hide jewish families during the holocaust did so, because of self-preservation, which Vastet claimed was "that it increase the likelihood of being helped yourself. He made the connection, and it was totally bogus. 

They did it out of sheer sense of emotionalism, when asked as to why they did what they did, the response would akin to "it was the right thing to do, in and of itself." (as suggested by Michael Gazzinger in "Human",) They did it out of their sheer sense of compassion and empathy, not out of any twisted notion of self-preservation. 

If self-preservation was a factor, they wouldn't of risked their lives doing what they did, for strangers. 

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

Vastet wrote:
I assume you mean that we should act based upon "emotion and self preservation." That is not obvious.

Yes, it is.

There are some venerable moral traditions that disagree with you. The utilitarian, the Kantian, the eudaimonist, and the divine command theorist believe that we are sometimes called to act against our emotions and our self-preservation. Even if you don't agree with any of those positions, the fact that so many philosophers have disagreed with your position indicates that it is not obvious.

Quote:
That's why we do it.

The position that we always in fact act according to our desires is psychological egoism. Psychological egoism is unfalsifiable. Any action can be made to fit the theory. There's a passage in d'Holbach (a secular psychological egoist like yourself) where he says, in support of the doctrine, that my desires will never permit me to leap from a twentieth-story window - but he continues that if I did leap from a twentieth-story window, it would just be more evidence for his theory (clearly, I was overcome by passion).

Quote:
Regarding the rest of your strange position, do you really believe there is no way to test the effects of murder, theft, and rape? How ridiculous.

Of course you can determine the effects of murder and rape. But you cannot test the proposition "murder and rape are evil." You could perhaps deduce that they are evil from a moral doctrine like, "whatever causes pain is evil," but then you still cannot test that proposition. While science can tell us the consequences of an action, it cannot tell us whether those consequences make the action evil. What test could establish a prescriptive proposition (without appeal to a preexisting moral code)?

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
So then by your logic, if

So then by your logic, if people believe it's a good idea to jump off a bridge, it must be common sense. How ridiculous. Look up the definitions for sense and belief, come back and try again.
Also, don't be jealous that I have a PS3. It just adds to your self ownage.

"Well, he was responding to a comment of vastets, which began with a claim that individuals who risked their lives to hide jewish families during the holocaust did so, because of self-preservation, which Vastet claimed was "that it increase the likelihood of being helped yourself. He made the connection, and it was totally bogus"

Yet another straw man. If you'd bothered to read, you'd see I said self preservation AND emotion. But you're just an idiot.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Presuppositionalist, you are

Presuppositionalist, you are operating under the false assumption that good and evil are absolutes. They aren't. They are the property of human opinion, no more.

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote: Yet another

Vastet wrote:
Yet another straw man. If you'd bothered to read, you'd see I said self preservation AND emotion. But you're just an idiot.

Uhm here's your question: "You give me a moral that doesn't stem from emotion and self preservation,  and I'll show you that it isn't a moral to one who doesn't believe in fairy tales."

The "and" is the important word here. 

Uhm go back to post 62, and here I gave you a "moral" that involves emotion but doesn't involve self-preservation, in fact I said the "moral" stands contrary to it:

The Twelve: "an individual who risk his own life and his families life to hide a jewish family during the holocaust. 

Now, explain the self-preservation part for me?"

To which you responded: "So simple. By helping others, you increase the likely hood of being helped yourself in times of need."

Do you understand yet what's being discussed? Yes you said self preservation AND emotion, and it was the self-preservation part that I took issue with. 

To break it down for you more child-like, in hopes that this time around you get.

If I were to say that all morals are based on emotions and a belief in fairies, and challenge you to find one "moral" that doesn't involve "emotions and a belief in fairies", and then you go and give me a moral that involves one of the factors (emotions) but not the other (belief in fairies,) then my claim as to what morality is composed of has been refuted.. 

I'm not arguing the emotion part, nor would you in the example above, you'd take gripes with the fairy bit, as i took gripes with the "self-preservation" bit.

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:So then by your

Vastet wrote:
So then by your logic, if people believe it's a good idea to jump off a bridge, it must be common sense.

"Common sense (or, when used attributively as an adjective, commonsense, common-sense, or commonsensical), based on a strict construction of the term, consists of what people in common would agree on: that which they "sense" as their common natural understanding.  Some people (such as the authors of Merriam-Webster Online) use the phrase to refer to beliefs or propositions that — in their opinion — most people would consider prudent and of sound judgment, without reliance on esoteric knowledge or study or research, but based upon what they see as knowledge held by people "in common". Thus "common sense" (in this view) equates to the knowledge and experience which most people allegedly have, or which the person using the term believes that they do or should have."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_sense

Quote:
Also, don't be jealous that I have a PS3. It just adds to your self ownage.

I'm owned because I have better things to do with my Satudays than play Grand Theft Auto in my mother's basement?

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Ultimately,

BobSpence1 wrote:

Ultimately, yes. However, the advantages of co-operation and mutual assistance in a social group over violent and destructive behavior have lead to us having a 'built-in' negative reaction against such behavior, as well as the feeling of empathy, which helps drive such cooperative behavior. This is why personal opinions and judgement are normally against such behavior as you describe, since they are very strongly influenced by such instinctive reactions.

Then would the Holocaust and rape stop being wrong as soon as our instinctive reactions became favorable to such instances?

Quote:
Since 'right' and 'wrong' really only make sense in a social context, social consensus is very important in determining what is 'should' be classified as right or wrong.

And if two societies hold two mutually exclusive moral positions on an issue, how do we determine which one is correct?  They cannot both be right (law of excluded middle).

Quote:
If, somehow, the vast majority of individuals in a society were accepting of actions which we find repugnant, including the 'victims', and the behavior did not lead to wholesale death and destruction of the society, then we would have no 'right' to label them 'wrong', any more than we should regard the common behavior of a female spider in killing and eating the male after mating as 'wrong'.

Now you are randomly adding qualifiers to your statements. 

Why should it matter if the victims were accepting of certain actions?  What does that have to do with what you were saying before?  Why not just let the majority rule? 

What does "wholesale death and destruction of society" have to do with anything?  

You went from explaining where morals come from (i.e. our "built-in" negative reactions, which actually is falsified by a number of serial killers still living today) to just stating that the consent of victims and preservation of society makes certain things okay.  You've introduced premises into the argument which have no connection to the other premises that you've made, which means that you are just assuming them to be true.

Quote:
'Rape' is by definition 'wrong', otherwise it would be described merely as 'having sex'.

Umm, no it is not.  "Rape" is refers to nothing more than forcing someone to have sex with you.  It may also be defined as "unlawful compulsion", but the law has nothing to do with right or wrong.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rape

Quote:
I note in passing that 'rape' is not explicitly condemned in the Bible, AFAIK. It certainly isn't even in the Ten Commandments'.

You cannot read the Bible like one of your science books.  The Gospel is not a step by step treatise on salvation.  It requires critical thinking, i.e. the very definition of "exegesis".  It isn't even just one book.  It is 66 books.  You have to understand it in that context, along with history and tradition.  Knowledge, in this case, is cumulative.  Not singular. 

But I can already tell that your mechanical view of the world doesn't permit you to think critically.  

Quote:
'Violent' may or may not be problematic, depending on the attitudes of the individuals - some people appear to get excited by a degree of 'violence' in sexual activities. 

TMI.

Quote:
It is generally accepted that violence of any kind against children is 'wrong', ie damaging to the victims and to society in general.

It is also "generally accepted" that God exists.

Quote:
The holocaust was strongly influenced by attitudes of one religion against another, so it is arguably an example of the negative effects that religious attitudes can have in either overcoming our more positive instincts and/or playing up our more negative impulses.

This is a blatant oversimplification of history.  I could answer this in many paragraphs, but it has nothing to do with our discussion.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lord_of_Rock

Lord_of_Rock wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Then would the Holocaust and rape stop being wrong as soon as our instinctive reactions became favorable to such instances?

Quote:

And if two societies hold two mutually exclusive moral positions on an issue, how do we determine which one is correct?  They cannot both be right (law of excluded middle).

We can't. There is no absolute morality. Even there was a 'God' specifying a set of rules, that is becomes a legal infringement, not morality.

We could conceivably evaluate both societies to see which one seems to have higher levels of positive feelings among its members, allowing for heavy downgrading if it relies on extreme suffering in some minorities, and score one higher that the other.

No matter how you cut it, there is a heavy subjective component to perceptions of right and wrong, including the judgement of whether there are absolute standards, and what such absolute standards would be.

Even the decision that Christian doctrine (or any other faith or philosophy) should be the standard of morality, or is 'true', is a human judgement, and therefore not knowable to be 'true'.

Quote:

Quote:

Now you are randomly adding qualifiers to your statements. 

Why should it matter if the victims were accepting of certain actions?  What does that have to do with what you were saying before?  Why not just let the majority rule? 

What does "wholesale death and destruction of society" have to do with anything?  

Umm, something to do with whether there are moral or legal sanctions against murder and other destructive behavior? 

Because actions which lead to such consequences are the most obvious ones that should be regarded as 'wrong' in all societies where most members value survival?Species that do not value survival will not be around anyway.

They certainly are not random qualifiers. They are reasonable criteria to judge the consequences of various moral 'rules', which I am assuming that non-suicidal societies would almost certainly accept. Others may disagree, so a discussion may be required to reach a consensus. With or without a religion, there is going to be some disagreement on morals.

Quote:

You went from explaining where morals come from (i.e. our "built-in" negative reactions, which actually is falsified by a number of serial killers still living today) to just stating that the consent of victims and preservation of society makes certain things okay.  You've introduced premises into the argument which have no connection to the other premises that you've made, which means that you are just assuming them to be true.

Individual cases do not falsify my argument. Evolution and morals are about the survival of a species, groups, not about individual survival over one lifetime. Any species capable of 'evolving' will have a range of individual behaviors, it is the overall nett effect of all the individual actions that is important. Too many serial killers would be a problem, the survival of a few individual ones does not by refute the argument.

I am not assuming any premises to be true, just proposing what I see as reasonable criteria, based on assumptions such as that, almost by definition, we resent having things we do not like being forced upon us.

Quote:

Quote:
'Rape' is by definition 'wrong', otherwise it would be described merely as 'having sex'.

Umm, no it is not.  "Rape" is refers to nothing more than forcing someone to have sex with you.  It may also be defined as "unlawful compulsion", but the law has nothing to do with right or wrong.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/rape

In your opinion.

I regard forcing something on another person against their will without some reasonable argument that is ultimately for their benefit ( as in painful medical treatment, for example) is 'wrong', in the common usage of that word. 

That is part of my personal moral guidelines, which I happen to think would be a generally acceptable rule, so it is 'wrong' to me.

I agree with you that legal concepts do not define moral usages of 'right' and 'wrong', which is why I regard religious dogma as irrelevant to 'true' morality, as it all resembles a legal system, with commandments and other proscriptions of various acts, along with an ultimate reward/punishment system.

The closest to what I regard as ethical/moral injunctions is the Golden Rule, but that by itself is not quite adequate. Interestingly, it is also inherently subjective, based on what a person would or would not like done to themselves.

Quote:

Quote:
I note in passing that 'rape' is not explicitly condemned in the Bible, AFAIK. It certainly isn't even in the Ten Commandments'.

You cannot read the Bible like one of your science books.  The Gospel is not a step by step treatise on salvation.  It requires critical thinking, i.e. the very definition of "exegesis".  It isn't even just one book.  It is 66 books.  You have to understand it in that context, along with history and tradition.  Knowledge, in this case, is cumulative.  Not singular. 

But I can already tell that your mechanical view of the world doesn't permit you to think critically.  

That is a pathetic attempt to find merit in that ambiguous collection of some wisdom and a lot of primitive nonsense.

The distorted view of 'morality' in the Ten Commandments is downright disgusting. To put things like 'coveting your neighbor's wife' and other property in the same collection as murder, while omitting torture and rape, is obscene.

'mechanical view' of the world? You have no idea. Whatever best describes my view of the world, your view seems to have totally disabled your logical and critical faculties, in a desperate attempt to shore up your obsolete and inadequate understanding of reality.

Quote:

Quote:

TMI.

Quote:

It is also "generally accepted" that God exists.

But the common consensus on issues of right and wrong is directly relevant to the 'acceptability' of how acts of one person against another should be regarded. It shouldn't necessarily negate personal conviction, but is a legitimate consideration in these matters.

Issues of the existence of or not of some actual entity should be based on evidence, not number of people who happen to believe it.

Quote:

Quote:

This is a blatant oversimplification of history.  I could answer this in many paragraphs, but it has nothing to do with our discussion.

You brought up the holocaust. And I agree it is not a simple issue. I was not blaming it purely on religion, but it is deeply implicated, and mostly negatively. Attitudes to such events are fundamentally relevant to concepts of 'right' and 'wrong'.

That you don't, or refuse to see that, demonstrates how totally f**ked up is your concept of right and wrong .

Thank you for providing further evidence of the irrelevance or inadequacy of religion to a valid and justifiable approach to morality.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:So then by your

Vastet wrote:
So then by your logic, if people believe it's a good idea to jump off a bridge, it must be common sense. How ridiculous. Look up the definitions for sense and belief, come back and try again.

Two distinctions you're missing: first, between "philosophic traditions" and "people," and second, between "true" and "not obviously false." 

You mention people above, but I referred specifically to philosophic traditions. The mob shouldn't command intellectual respect, but a philosophic tradition should. If dozens of the greatest minds in history agreed that jumping off a bridge was a good thing, you would probably think "hmm, maybe it's not so obvious that jumping off a bridge is bad" or "hmm, maybe I should see what convinced these geniuses that jumping off a bridge was a good thing before forming an opinion" (which implicitly admits that it is not obvious what position one ought to take). I'm not saying you would - or should - conclude that it's true that jumping off of a bridge is good. I am saying that in that situation you would and should conclude that it's not obviously false that jumping off of a bridge is good.

In reality, though, you're never going to get whole traditions of great thinkers arguing that people should jump off of a bridge (or arguing for any other equally stupid position). If lots of really smart people think something, there's probably an interesting argument for it - which is why, when you see that lots of smart people think that we shouldn't always act based upon emotion and self-preservation, you should conclude that it is not "obvious" that we should always act based upon emotion and self-preservation.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet

Vastet wrote:
Presuppositionalist, you are operating under the false assumption that good and evil are absolutes. They aren't. They are the property of human opinion, no more.

I actually haven't said that. Nor have I made any points that require it.

Lord_of_Rock
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:We can't.

BobSpence1 wrote:

We can't. There is no absolute morality.

How do you know that? 

Quote:
Even there was a 'God' specifying a set of rules, that is becomes a legal infringement, not morality.

You continually serve as an example for why a scientist should never leave the laboratory.  Your understanding of Christian theology is practically non-existent. God does not "specify" a set of rules.  Goodness is not something that God brought into existence.  He did not sit down and decide to write a series of prescriptive laws.  In fact, a Christian will agree with you that ethical decisions are for the most part situational and require critical thinking (which is highly unfortunate for you, but I digress).  The Christian position is simply that good and evil exist.  Goodness is a manifestation of God, anything distinct from that is evil. If you are more interested in the doctrine of divine simplicity, then read up:

http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/divine-simplicity/

Quote:
We could conceivably evaluate both societies to see which one seems to have higher levels of positive feelings among its members, allowing for heavy downgrading if it relies on extreme suffering in some minorities, and score one higher that the other.

Once again, are you equating right and wrong with personal feelings?

After all, I could find a lot of people who are absolutely disgusted by the idea of homosexuality.  Under your worldview, that would mean that homosexuality is inherently wicked, because it instinctively leads to feelings of disgust.

If you are going to say that these feelings were mistakenly instilled into the subjects, then that is just special pleading.  You simply apply these physical factors in domains that you are already comfortable with and attempt to attach a "scientific basis" to your pre-existing moral framework.

Moreover, I would be highly interested to know how your experiment would work.  Would we attach millions of people to machines and analyze their positive feelings?

Quote:
No matter how you cut it, there is a heavy subjective component to perceptions of right and wrong, including the judgement of whether there are absolute standards, and what such absolute standards would be.

Which has nothing to do with the objective existence of absolute morals.

Quote:
Even the decision that Christian doctrine (or any other faith or philosophy) should be the standard of morality, or is 'true', is a human judgement, and therefore not knowable to be 'true'.

When did I say that anything subject to human judgment is disavowed automatically?  I would simply endorse the judgment that is most rationally justified and you are being highly irrational right now.

Quote:
Umm, something to do with whether there are moral or legal sanctions against murder and other destructive behavior? 

Because actions which lead to such consequences are the most obvious ones that should be regarded as 'wrong' in all societies where most members value survival?

Why?  Because you say so?  You previously claimed that morals are subjective and now you are trying to offer me some objective basis to an ought statement.

Quote:
Species that do not value survival will not be around anyway.

I could perfectly conceive of a species which does not "value" survival and continues to exist.

Quote:
They certainly are not random qualifiers. They are reasonable criteria to judge the consequences of various moral 'rules', which I am assuming that non-suicidal societies would almost certainly accept. Others may disagree, so a discussion may be required to reach a consensus. With or without a religion, there is going to be some disagreement on morals.

They are random.  You were initially discussing how we may obtain our morals and you went from that to, "We must value survival, we must be fair to victims, etc."  Are morals subjective or are they not? 

If you are going to tell me what I should and should not do, then you need to offer me a rational justification.  All you have offered me so far is that I should rely on my instinctive feelings, which means that the ethics of the gay bashers are as legitimate as the ethics of the liberals.  Likewise, it would mean that the ethics of the sadist are as legitimate as the ethics of the traditionalists.

Quote:
Individual cases do not falsify my argument. Evolution and morals are about the survival of a species, groups, not about individual survival over one lifetime. Any species capable of 'evolving' will have a range of individual behaviors, it is the overall nett effect of all the individual actions that is important. Too many serial killers would be a problem, the survival of a few individual ones does not by refute the argument.

Umm, yes.  You are claiming a connection between personal feelings and moral actions and I'm demonstrating to you that the connection IS NOT THERE.  All I have to find is a few examples to the contrary and your point is falsified.  By simply disregarding the examples, you rely on an ad hoc fallacy of automatically repudiating anything that is contrary to the point that you've made.

One could make all kinds of arguments about what is going to best contribute to the survival of the species.  I could argue that we ought to execute any individuals who are disabled because they are costing millions of tax dollars to regular people, due to the financial requirements of giving them social insurance, homes, health insurance.  And these people are not contributing to society at all, that is, they do not work, write books, poetry, music, art, etc.  They are just sitting in their group homes costing us money, so we ought to execute them all.  Then our species will advance because we will have weeded out the weak and have excess financial resources to boot.  Under your ethical framework, this is permissible.

Quote:
In your opinion.

It's not my opinion.  It's in the dictionary.  Why are you the authority on what words mean?

Quote:
That is a pathetic attempt to find merit in that ambiguous collection of some wisdom and a lot of primitive nonsense.

The distorted view of 'morality' in the Ten Commandments is downright disgusting. To put things like 'coveting your neighbor's wife' and other property in the same collection as murder, while omitting torture and rape, is obscene.

Why?  Because you say it is? 

You are the one who said that morality is subjective, so you really have no business judging the ethics of the Bible (especially when one considers that you probably have never even read it).

Quote:
But the common consensus on issues of right and wrong is directly relevant to the 'acceptability' of how acts of one person against another should be regarded.

But it has nothing to do with truth, just as the communitative belief in God does not necessitate that God does in fact exist.

Quote:
You brought up the holocaust. And I agree it is not a simple issue. I was not blaming it purely on religion, but it is deeply implicated, and mostly negatively. Attitudes to such events are fundamentally relevant to concepts of 'right' and 'wrong'.

I asked you if the wrongness of the Holocaust was subjective and you digressed into some argument about how it was caused by religion.

If you want to stray off topic, I can point out the fact that motivation to stop the Holocaust had very little to do with proliferation of the species or inner feelings.  I would imagine that the inner feelings associated with the prospect of leaving one's family to possibly die in another country are not too positive.  For most of the soldiers who enlisted without even waiting to be drafted, it had to do with the recognition that human life has a value and a sanctity that is other-worldly and that mass genocide is absolutely wrong, not just in anyone's opinion, but in fact.  They did not adopt your point of view to say that Hitler's morality was just as valid as anyone else's.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Uhm here's your

Quote:
Uhm here's your question.... etc

By the gaming gods, you're actually right. I fucked up. Let me rephrase that to:

You give me a moral that doesn't stem from emotion and/or self preservation,  and I'll show you that it isn't a moral to one who doesn't believe in fairy tales.

Sorry about that. I can't even complain of nitpicking under these circumstances.

I don't have the ability to get into properly defining terms and context, so I'll have to let another take that.

"I'm owned because I have better things to do with my Satudays than play Grand Theft Auto in my mother's basement?"

For your information, I haven't lived with my mother for many years. She's on the opposite side of the country from me. But even if I did, playing GTA in her basement would be infinitely more productive than going around arguing against science, which is by definition counter-productive.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
"I actually haven't said

"I actually haven't said that. Nor have I made any points that require it."

You haven't implicitly stated that, no. But I was able to infer that from your posts. If you don't hold to the idea that there are moral absolutes, then I apologise.

Edit: While my above statement remains true, I have concluded that due to the high numbers of participating theists in this thread it has become more confusing than I am used to in seperating you from each other. This has been very much compounded by my inability to quote each of you as I go so I still have room to respond, something I'm still getting used to.

Presuppositionalist
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:"I actually

Vastet wrote:
"I actually haven't said that. Nor have I made any points that require it." You haven't implicitly stated that, no. But I was able to infer that from your posts. If you don't hold to the idea that there are moral absolutes, then I apologise.

It isn't relevant whether I hold the position or not. The subject was Hamby's OP, and my reason for disbelieving it.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
But if it is a defense or

But if it is a defense or argument that will be utilised by your opposition, it is quite valid to attack it. In point of fact, it is quite related to the OP, as it IS a critical difference between the average atheist and the average christian.