How is the Pope any different than the Taliban?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
How is the Pope any different than the Taliban?

I just cought the clip of Obama and Michele visiting the Vatican. She was dressed in all black and a head dress which was considered "tradition".

WHAT THE FUCK!

Is he afriad if she wore what she wanted he would get a boner?

Watching her "submit" to their stupid traditions was as vile as when Hillary as secetary of state had to "cover up" for the middle east?

This penis asshat thinks is superstitions are any different?

If I were Michele I'd tell that symbolic flesh eater to fly a kite!

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Liam
Liam's picture
User is offlineOffline
Agree

It's hard to make progress towards rational thinking as a society when leaders are pandering to theists.  It's disheartening.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
<Vomit>

The extent of the pandering is in line with the brown-nosing/arse kissing that was exhibited during the recent ME tour. Nauseating and uncalled for.

Worst President since Dhimmi Carter.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Conor Wilson
User is offlineOffline
How is the Pope different from the Taliban, you ask?

It's simple, really: the Pope wears the pointy hat.

Just trying to be of service, Brian.

Conor

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:How is the

He has better PR. Gets laid less often unless you count alter boys.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Liam wrote: It's hard to

Liam wrote:

It's hard to make progress towards rational thinking as a society when leaders are pandering to theists.  It's disheartening.

Uhm, you have a roman catholic population of over a billion people, 70 million in your own country, you better be pandering. Who else would you be pandering to, the .05% of atheist in this country? The .00001% of humanist?

User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:If I were

Brian37 wrote:

And hence, why people are adverse to voting in an atheist as president. 

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Brian37

manofmanynames wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

So you think it is OK for any man to tell a woman what they can or cannot wear? So it is ok when Catholics tell women what to wear, but when Muslims do it, it is wrong?

Quote:

Why? Because we think women should wear what they want? Because we don't think women are second class? Because we think it is STUPID for any man to any women of any religion they have to dress a certain way because of the male's own insecurities?

Fuck the Pope. He is a human being just like me. He is not special to the species or the cosmos. He will die, just like I will, and he is not special because he is a man. A penis doesn't make you better.

Wearing a Pope hat is just as superstitious and silly as a baseball player's "lucky socks" and making women wear certain clothing is just as superstitious and arbitrary.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:So you think

Brian37 wrote:
So you think it is OK for any man to tell a woman what they can or cannot wear? So it is ok when Catholics tell women what to wear, but when Muslims do it, it is wrong?

First of all the Pope didn't tell her what to wear, anymore so than someone tells me not to wear a wife beater when I go to church. Wearing the "traditional" outfit is not the equivalent of an enforced dress code. Of course morons who have never really been in many social setting don't understand the difference. 

Oscar Da La Renta and other scolded her for wearing a cardigan on visiting the Queen of England. My girlfriend criticized me for daring to wear a polo to a nice a restaurant instead of a button down shirt. And who would dare wear shorts to a job interview?

No "man" told her anything, anymore than some "man" told obama he should wear a suit and not a swim suit when visiting the pope. Here's pic of Nancy Pelosi, and Condelezza Rice meeting the pope, do you see them dressing as Michelle did? How about  the French presidents wife?

I might as well accuse you of being a man demanding her not to wear something, telling her she can't wear the "traditional" outfit. 

Quote:
 and making women wear certain clothing is just as superstitious and arbitrary.

So the reason why we don't go into a job interview in flip flops is superstitious? The reason why PZ Meyers doesn't teach shirtless in an a thong is because it's superstitious

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:First

manofmanynames wrote:

First of all the Pope didn't tell her what to wear, anymore so than someone tells me not to wear a wife beater when I go to church. Wearing the "traditional" outfit is not the equivalent of an enforced dress code. Of course morons who have never really been in many social setting don't understand the difference. 

No, she wasn't forced to, but she wouldn't have gotten in to see the Pope if she had worn what she wanted. And you don't have to wear that oppressive crap to be "formal". She could have worn a nice pants suit or skirt suit, or a nice black dress. Why should anyone care, much less the Pope if she looks nice? The head dress is not required by anyone but Pope, and CERTAINLY not required in reality.

Her dress, covering her head, comes from a "tradition" of male subjugation of women.  No different than Muslim women wearing head covering. Some DO wear it, even in the west voluntarly. BUT, that does not change the "tradition" that it comes from. In BOTH cultures, it came from a time when the woman was held responsible for men's reactions to their sexuality.

I don't like it when the Pope demands such stupid crap. I don't like it when the Amish do it, and I don't like when Muslims do it. FUCK MEN! Women shouldn't coddle such an oppressive "tradition". All of those traditions throughout history come from MALE INSECURITY!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
It has only been in the last

It has only been in the last 50 years that women in America have increasingly been seen as equal. There was a time when hospitle Nurses were women and were required to wear dress skirts. You go to most hospitles now and male and female nurses AND doctors wear the same color coded garb.

Even back at the turn of the century WOMAN's bathing suits were knee length with skirts and elbow long. Often very hot, and very heavy, and UNSAFE, in hot weather or wavy seas and could potentially tire out a girl or woman and cause her to die of heat stroke or drowned from the weight of the suit.

IT WAS WRONG when we in the west did it and it is wrong to tell any woman what to wear. Again FUCK THE POPE! This was not about being "formal", this was about coddling a stupid superstition based on male insecurity.

aiia
Superfan
aiia's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am insulted by the mere

I am insulted by the mere fact the the pope is even entitled to a visit.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
If Michelle had worn a pants

If Michelle had worn a pants suit and tie whould the Pope's dick magically had fallen off? NO,! So the head covering is nothing but a relic of male insecurity.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
aiia wrote:I am insulted by

aiia wrote:

I am insulted by the mere fact the the pope is even entitled to a visit.

The founders railed against sucking up to pulpit politics. They believed that religion was of a personal matter. I was proud of my country when even conservitives when the Pope threatened to excomunicate any American politician from the Catholic church if they supported abortion, they said, as most did, "You don't live here mind your own business".

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:No, she wasn't

Brian37 wrote:

No, she wasn't forced to, but she wouldn't have gotten in to see the Pope if she had worn what she wanted.

False, plenty of women have seen the pope, without wearing the "traditional" outfit. 

Quote:
I don't like it when the Pope demands such stupid crap. I don't like it when the Amish do it, and I don't like when Muslims do it. FUCK MEN! Women shouldn't coddle such an oppressive "tradition". All of those traditions throughout history come from MALE INSECURITY!

Yea? When the Shah of Iran was in power, he would have police officers rip the veil off of woman's faces, penalize men if they  had a beard. He wanted his people to look more "westernized". After the fall of the Shah many Arab woman voluntarily choose to wore those once banned garbs, as to a means of defying the imposing of western values on them. 

Many newly converted black Muslim women in my neighborhood wear the full traditional Muslim outfit, and they wear it not because their husbands forced them too, many of them are not even married, but as a way of taking a  stand, against their culture which claims that a woman should be defined by her sexuality, by how much skin she shows. She's defying a culture that wants to see her a merely as sexual object.

You're behaving with the same sort of bigotry you came to be opposing, you want to see these garbs in your own way, and feel the need to impose those values on them, when in fact your perception of them is not shared by Michelle Obama, or others. And as I said before the pope does not deny women his presence because they don't wear the traditional outfit. 

Woman can choose to wear what they want, regardless of how you perceive their outfits to be. You may find them to be articles of male subjugation, others may find it to a defying of western subjugation, and others may just wear it out of respect, or tradition, just like we wear suits, instead of t-shirts at weddings.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote:Brian37

theTwelve wrote:

Brian37 wrote:

No, she wasn't forced to, but she wouldn't have gotten in to see the Pope if she had worn what she wanted.

False, plenty of women have seen the pope, without wearing the "traditional" outfit. 

Quote:

Yea? When the Shah of Iran was in power, he would have police officers rip the veil off of woman's faces, penalize men if they  had a beard. He wanted his people to look more "westernized". After the fall of the Shah many Arab woman voluntarily choose to wore those once banned garbs, as to a means of defying the imposing of western values on them. 

Many newly converted black Muslim women in my neighborhood wear the full traditional Muslim outfit, and they wear it not because their husbands forced them too, many of them are not even married, but as a way of taking a  stand, against their culture which claims that a woman should be defined by her sexuality, by how much skin she shows. She's defying a culture that wants to see her a merely as sexual object.

You're behaving with the same sort of bigotry you came to be opposing, you want to see these garbs in your own way, and feel the need to impose those values on them, when in fact your perception of them is not shared by Michelle Obama, or others. And as I said before the pope does not deny women his presence because they don't wear the traditional outfit. 

Woman can choose to wear what they want, regardless of how you perceive their outfits to be. You may find them to be articles of male subjugation, others may find it to a defying of western subjugation, and others may just wear it out of respect, or tradition, just like we wear suits, instead of t-shirts at weddings.

Again, so what? Unless it becomes voluntary world wide, any woman "voluntaraly" wearing it, is saying to REAL people who REALLY do subjugate women, "It's ok to subjugate women."

Again, "covering" by the woman was born out of a oppressive monotheism that saw women as property.

A Cleric's penis is not going to magically fall off if he sees a woman in a bikini. The Pope wont die from a heart attact if Michelle had shown up in a pants suit. MEN, need to get over this stupid and oppressive "tradition". PERIOD!

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Woman can choose to

Quote:
Woman can choose to wear what they want, regardless of how you perceive their outfits to be.

Where? Not all over the world. Even in pluralistic western societies there are pockets of Orthodoxy in all major religions in which the family DEMANDS their women dress a certain way. The state may not say they have to, but there is still abuse by men of women in the west, based on stupid "tradition".

Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
User is offlineOffline
Duty vs on their own time

As I've always understood it, when anyone from our country in anything resembling an official capacity visits another country we try to follow their more basic dress codes. When I was in the middle east I was required to wear a shirt with buttons when wearing civilian clothes and we were told to watch where we pointed the bottoms of our feet. The President and his wife are on an official visit at the vatican. It makes sense to display a little respect while in their "home". We would expect the same from others visiting our President in the White House on official business.

Oh, and I'm not sure the other women visiting the pope in those photos was at the vatican. I don't think they were which would explain the lack of funny hats or whatever.

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
Subdi Visions wrote:Oh, and

Subdi Visions wrote:

Oh, and I'm not sure the other women visiting the pope in those photos was at the vatican. I don't think they were which would explain the lack of funny hats or whatever.

Imma Shara conducted a concert at the Watican for the Pope, and she didn't wear the traditional outfit: LINK

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
What the fuck was she

What the fuck was she wearing?  I can't find a bloody picture anywhere.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:What the fuck

Thomathy wrote:

I'd imagine it looked similar to the same get up, a widow wears to the funeral of her husband, you know, all that black, and black transparent beekeeper faceshield

What Would Kharn Do?

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Subdi Visions wrote:As I've

Subdi Visions wrote:

As I've always understood it, when anyone from our country in anything resembling an official capacity visits another country we try to follow their more basic dress codes. When I was in the middle east I was required to wear a shirt with buttons when wearing civilian clothes and we were told to watch where we pointed the bottoms of our feet. The President and his wife are on an official visit at the vatican. It makes sense to display a little respect while in their "home". We would expect the same from others visiting our President in the White House on official business.

Quote:
It makes sense to display a little respect while in their "home"

To what extent? I smoke in my own house. BUT if I invite a non-smoker over, I am going to smoke on my porch.  He knows she is not a Catholic, much less a nun.

That would be like me inviting a Jew over and saying, if you don't like Pork Chops, don't come over.

BTW the Vatican is it's own country which makes the Pope a dictator.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
theTwelve wrote:Subdi

theTwelve wrote:

Subdi Visions wrote:

Imma Shara conducted a concert at the Watican for the Pope, and she didn't wear the traditional outfit: LINK

That may be. But, again, even if Mechelle voluntarally dress that way, she is coddling a male inscurity myth.

Dress codes are fine, formal settings are fine. But I am a bit disappointed for a black and a woman to go in front of a white guy never elected to any office, and say, "Your oppression of women is ok with me". Remember that women to this day cannot be priests, according to the Vatican.

I KNOW she wasn't literally bowing in that moment.  I AM also not delusional to say that we live in a big world and sometimes we do things we don't like, in order to get along. I am merely saying this sucks.

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Helping Tomathy find pics

Thomathy wrote:

I am offended by her cowtowing to this Nazi bastard.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
That's hideous.  I'm not

That's hideous.  I'm not offended that she dressed a particular way for some particular person who shouldn't be so important that people dress up for him.  I'm offended that she did it in the most ugly fashion possible.  There's vomit in my mouth.  She could have done better, cowtowing aside.  I tell you, if I had a visit with the pope, I'd look good.  I can't be too hard.  Look at what he's wearing!  Look at that and tell me that Michelle Obama shouldn't have been able to look better.  She's wearing black; how can she not look better!?

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote: I tell you,

Thomathy wrote:

I tell you, if I had a visit with the pope, I'd look good.  It <sp> can't be too hard. 

Dude, you're playing with fire.

If you looked too good he would have to have you. Dress down, save your rectum.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hmm ...it's difficult to

Hmm ...it's difficult to imagine he would enjoy it or be able to get it up.  I'm probably too good for him.  The way I'd dress, too.  My little ass is not worried.  However, if the odds of a heart attack were high ...well, never mind, he'd just be replaced.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Abu Lahab wrote:Thomathy

Abu Lahab wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

I tell you, if I had a visit with the pope, I'd look good.  It <sp> can't be too hard. 

Dude, you're playing with fire.

If you looked too good he would have to have you. Dress down, save your rectum.

No, he had his fill before he became Pope. Now he gets paid to protect pediophiles. Apearantly a great gig if you can get it. All it requires are spewing vacuous platitudes while pilfering the collection plate to support your lavish lifestyle.