More Proof That We Don't Need a Transcendent Moral Standard

cervello_marcio
Superfan
cervello_marcio's picture
User is offlineOffline

Saw this today on Science Daily. Definitely worth a read. Really not that long.

Evolution and Taking Turns

"Do not, as some ungracious pastors do, show me the steep and thorny way to heaven. Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine, himself the primrose path of dalliance treads. And recks not his own rede."

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I would love to read it

I would love to read it right now but my wife is bitching at me. 

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
cervello_marcio wrote:Saw

This is freethinking anonymous.  Theists are not allowed to post here.  All posts by theists will be destroyed.  Continued abuse of this policy is grounds for disciplinary action, possibly including temporary or permanent blocking of your account.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
>:O

manofmanynames wrote:

cervello_marcio wrote:

why a "transcendent" moral standard? why do we need a moral stand at all? following your logic...

You deserve to be stabbed in the face.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

cervello_marcio
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat

ClockCat wrote:

manofmanynames wrote:

cervello_marcio wrote:

why a "transcendent" moral standard? why do we need a moral stand at all? following your logic...

You deserve to be stabbed in the face.

1. What ClockCat said.

2. A transcendent moral standard is the one offered up by theists in the morality debate.

3. GTFO Freethinking Anonymous. 

"Do not, as some ungracious pastors do, show me the steep and thorny way to heaven. Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine, himself the primrose path of dalliance treads. And recks not his own rede."

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
What are

What are we transcending?

manofmanynames wrote:
why do we need a moral stand at all?

To develop criterion for right and wrong.

Quote:
following your logic...

What logic? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:To

This is freethinking anonymous.  Theists are not allowed to post here.  All posts by theists will be destroyed.  Continued abuse of this policy is grounds for disciplinary action, possibly including temporary or permanent blocking of your account.

cervello_marcio
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Butter: We're transcending

Butter: We're transcending the fallen nature of wretched, sinful man.

Manofmanynames: Enjoy this cat.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

manofmanynames wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

For what purpose? 

Piranhas live perfectly fine with each other without having to develop a moral standard

Stab #3 in the face. GO THE FUCK AWAY.

YOU ARE NOT WANTED.

post in the places that don't say "NO THEISTS"

And have a nice day. Smiling

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:To

butterbattle wrote:

manofmanynames wrote:
For what purpose?

Because I want to. 

Quote:
Piranhas live perfectly fine with each other without having to develop a moral standard.

Perfectly fine, as in they're not extinct yet?  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears wrote: I

marshalltenbears wrote:

Your turn to bitch tomorrow.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Nikolaj
Superfan
Nikolaj's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

For what purpose? 

Piranhas live perfectly fine with each other without having to develop a moral standard

Well you know that's not true. Piranhas don't eat eachother, so they DO have a moral standard.

Well I was born an original sinner
I was spawned from original sin
And if I had a dollar bill for all the things I've done
There'd be a mountain of money piled up to my chin

cervello_marcio
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Have you ever seen a

Have you ever seen a piranha? I don't know if that's a result of a moral standard or just the fact that they're about the least appetizing fish ever.

User is offlineOffline
Nikolaj wrote:Well you know

cervello_marcio
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Their

manofmanynames wrote:

Their acts, and actions are amoral, they are unconcerned with moral rightness or wrongness of something. 

Doesn't this make your analogy dishonest? We all have at the very least a personalized set of morals.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is freethinking

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:This is

SECOND MOD EDIT - this is not the first or second time you have been warned. THIS IS THE THIRD TIME you have been warned. you are on an account timeout. I am disabling your account temporarily until the site mods come to a decision on how long your ban should last. - dead_again

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Like, i said I'm an agnostic, remove the badge please, so I'm within the guidelines to post here

You're agnostic atheist or an agnostic theist? Do you or do you not believe in a God?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

cervello_marcio
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Like, i said I'm an agnostic, remove the badge please, so I'm within the guidelines to post here

From your forum topic "Why Atheists Are Disliked:"

Quote:

But yea, to clear it up for you, yes, I'm no longer an atheist. I do believe in God now, even though I didn't believe before.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Manofmanynames, this is your

Manofmanynames, this is your last warning.  If you want to talk about anything at all, you must do it in a forum approved for theist posters.  If you post here again, I will block your account for a week.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
cervello_marcio wrote:More

cervello_marcio wrote:

We suggest you submit your thread titles to our Sacred Council for our approval.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears wrote: I

marshalltenbears wrote:

Just say two words to her...

More soy?

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
You have transgressed upon

manofmanynames, you have transgressed upon the Atheist Holy of Holies.

The Atheists have cursed your immortal soul to burn in hellfire for eternity.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
You are omnipresent.

You are omnipresent.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
cervello_marcio wrote:Have

cervello_marcio wrote:

Have you ever seen a piranha? I don't know if that's a result of a moral standard or just the fact that they're about the least appetizing fish ever.

Exactly. They evolved such that they derive no pleasure in eating other piranha so they don't do it. So their morality is hedonism(no morality).

Every animal's real 'morality' is seek your own pleasure(including humans and theists). The only thing unique about humans is that we can put on the holier than thou act of not being selfish hedonists all the while being one. That's what morality is, the holier than thou act.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

theTwelve
TheistTroll
theTwelve's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:Exactly. They

EXC wrote:
Exactly. They evolved such that they derive no pleasure in eating other piranha so they don't do it. So their morality is hedonism(no morality). 

Actually they do eat other piranha's, if one get caught on a fishing hook, the others will attempt to nibble away at it, and piranhas often eat on their weaker ones.

cervello_marcio
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)