Creation

cwiley71
User is offlineOffline
Creation

So on the front page of the site it says that God did not create the sun and the solar system. Please let me know how I can explain this to the christians I know.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
If there are any that are

If there are any that are curious, they can just do a web search.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creation_of_our_Solar_System

But in my experience, most Christians are more comfortable living out a life of delusion.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

cwiley71
User is offlineOffline
Wikipedia

OK so I read it and it says things like hypothesis and estimated origin. Are there any facts out there? This guy keeps hammering me hard and I want to know some to back myself up.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hi, welcome to the

Hi, welcome to the forum.

cwiley71 wrote:

So on the front page of the site it says that God did not create the sun and the solar system. Please let me know how I can explain this to the christians I know.

Well, I'm not quite sure how to say this, but each claim that Kevin made in that opening post, while conceptually simple, required an enormous amount of research and calculations to explain and verify. Plus, it's going to be hard to satisfy your Christian friends, since they're arguing against things that they don't understand. I would just ask them how they know that God did create the sun and the solar system.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star 

I can't help you much, but there are people on this forum who are more knowledgeable than me. You can wait for one of them.  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
cwiley71 wrote:OK so I read

cwiley71 wrote:

OK so I read it and it says things like hypothesis and estimated origin. Are there any facts out there? This guy keeps hammering me hard and I want to know some to back myself up.

Paste what he's saying onto this thread. It'll be a lot easier if we can see it. 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
cwiley71 wrote:So on the

cwiley71 wrote:

I am an open mind.

I am terminally stupid, too.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
cwiley71 wrote:OK so I read

cwiley71 wrote:

Yes. Mee, too!

Why they so mean to Mongo here?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, the best advice

Well, the best advice that I can give you here is to not try to go for the big score on day one.

Seriously, you are trying to work on people who have mastered the art of having compartmentalized their minds to the point that discordant information will not reach the part that you are wanting to get through to.

Instead of that, I would try planting the seeds of doubt and seeing what comes from that. As an example, many of the people you are trying to reach use the KJV. That version has foot notes to the effect that Mark ends at 16:8. Yet many versions of the bible end a dozen verses later.

So you can get them to understand that there is stuff in the bible that is not accepted by the very scholars that they place their trust and faith into.

BTW, it is impossible for anyone to really have faith in an idea as old as the bible. The fact of the matter is that anyone who places faith in anything in placing it in what is presented to them in real time. They have faith int the KJV? Well that is fine but they ought to know that the source documents for the KJV were only put together in the 1,600's. Prior to that, there were hundreds of versions of the text that differed in many critical ways.

They think that the bit about “he who has no sin may cast the first stone” is critical. Well that is fine but it was not in the bible prior to about A.D. 1,000.

Hell's bells but the whole canonical bible dates to the end of the 300's. Prior to that, there were a few hundred books that appeared in various versions of what might be a bible. Also, there were many collections of books and each one had a different set of what “ought to be there”.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=