Just for fun

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just for fun

If you had a time machine and could go anywhere in time where and when would you go? Lets assume you will survive the journey no matter what.

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Only one place?Do I get to

Only one place?

Do I get to bring back definitive evidence of what I've seen?

I'm really torn on this.  Do I go selfish or good-of-the-world?  Honestly, if I could go back about ten years with a few copies of stock reports from the last ten years and give it to myself, I think that's what I would do if I was being selfish about it.

If I was thinking good of the world, I might have to go back to see if Jesus existed or not.  I kind of think he didn't, and if I could prove that, I could do the world an awful lot of good.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

marshalltenbears
User is offlineOffline
 i was thinking along

i was thinking along similar terms with the selfish part. I was going to do what they did in Back to the Future and take a sports almanac with me and then retire at 26. 

Since you are going to go back and see if jesus was real ( that was my other idea also) I think I may go forward 10,000 years and see what the earth looks like. I wonder if people will be around or if the earth will have killed us off. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'm pretty sure that even

I'm pretty sure that even if you brought back irrefutable evidence that humanity on its current course would die horribly in a thousand years if we didn't change our reproduction and energy usage, we wouldn't change anything significant.

I'm also pretty sure that irrefutable evidence that Jesus didn't exist wouldn't kill Christianity, but it would certainly put a crimp into it.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd take my laptop, as much

I'd take my laptop, as much information as I could pack on it, a generator and then drop myself back about 20,000 years and unite the World under the banner of science before any silly religious nonsense started.

That way we'd now be polluting the universe with our xenophobic taint by 21st century.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd take my laptop, as much

I'd take my laptop, as much information as I could pack on it, a generator and then drop myself back about 20,000 years and unite the World under the banner of science before any silly religious nonsense started.

That way we'd now be polluting the universe with our xenophobic taint by 21st century.

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
How long is the trip? Can I

How long is the trip? Can I know what the future would be like at all ahead of the decision?

If no, and I only get one trip, I guess I'd go back to 1967. I could make tons of money betting on stocks, comodities and sporting events. Otherewise, I think going back and struggling to survive would not be so great after a while.

If I went to the future without knowing, there is a good chance the earth would be uninhabitable for humans.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

marshalltenbears
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:How long is the

EXC wrote:

How long is the trip? Can I know what the future would be like at all ahead of the decision?

If no, and I only get one trip, I guess I'd go back to 1967. I could make tons of money betting on stocks, comodities and sporting events. Otherewise, I think going back and struggling to survive would not be so great after a while.

If I went to the future without knowing, there is a good chance the earth would be uninhabitable for humans.

Since I started the post I guess I will make up a couple of more rules. I was thinking that you would go back as an observer only and no one could see you or sense you and anything you did could have no effect on the present day. And you could not die. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Hmm... that makes it

Hmm... that makes it substantially less interesting, as far as personal gain goes...

I guess from my science geek perspective, I'd like to see how marriage, childrearing, and love really worked before the enlightenment.  We really don't know a lot about how people's mating and bonding behaviors for most of history.  It's all guesswork.  So... maybe 1600 or so someplace in Europe in a "regular person" part of the world.

Books about atheism

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:o

I guess I'm the only one that would go to the future to enjoy more luxury than we have today?

o.O

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

ProzacDeathWish
atheist
ProzacDeathWish's picture
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears

marshalltenbears wrote:

.... you would go back as an observer only and no one could see you or sense you and anything you did could have no effect on the present day. And you could not die. 

Well as a unseen observer, I would travel back in time to November 22, 1963 to Dealy Plaza, Dallas, Texas.  I would hang out on the sixth floor of the school book depository and try and determine if Oswald was acting alone when he allegedly shot the President.   Then I would follow Kennedy's  remains to Parkland Hospital to actually view the autopsy and to try and discover why there were discrepancies regarding the damage to his skull, etc.

Later I would materialize at the appropriate locations to secretly monitor the behind the scenes activity of the Warren  Commision.....

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
If i was to travel forward

If i was to travel forward in time... i would plant myself somewhere... in the 41st millenium, on the offshot that all my dreams came true ^_^

... even if they didnt, its the 41st millenium! humanity is either livin large or dont exist anymore, i'd be happy either way.

Back in time however, i think i would like to be sent... oh, probably into the jurrasic period... for shits and giggles, mostly. Even though my head would most likely exploded do to the change in oxygen ratio >.> .

(I wanna be the first person to kick a dinosaur in the nuts! )

What Would Kharn Do?

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears wrote:or if the earth will have killed us off.

In my opinion , I think that it's a lot more likely that we will kill ourselves off.Read Jared Diamond "Collapse" and Guns,Germs and Steel : the fate of Human societies.  

Signature ? How ?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Somebody said they'd go

Somebody said they'd go forward for more luxury.  I am pessimistic about that.  I honestly believe that by the time I'm old enough to die of old age, I'll be telling kids about how luxurious life was in the 20th century.

Books about atheism

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, I might be

Well, I might be interested in going back and committing a bunch of the so-called paradoxes, if for no better reason than to show that they are really literary tropes. Think about it...

If you did manage to kill your grandfather a week before he married your grandmother, well, a hundred years ago, it was considered a fairly common thing that the first child in many marriages was often premature. Either that, or your grandmother had a secret that rendered the whole exercise moot in the first place.

Alternatively, you could go back a million years and kill a butterfly. While it is probably true that you might have prevented a tornado a year later, consider that chaos theory requires a simply uncountable number of tiny sources that have a larger role later on. After a few centuries, the general trend will almost certainly average out to the point where the lack of a single tornado probably would go fully unnoticed.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
I'd go back to the

I'd go back to the begninning of the universe and give God some pointers on how to not be logically inconnistant and flat out evil.

Joking aside, I would like to go back to the beginning of the universe. Maybe a hundred or so years before hand so I can bring back a bunch of books on science, read them, and see how close we were (are) (will be) (hehe now I need to go get my copy of hichhickers guide to the galaxy). At any rate, do I get the ability to instantly transport anywhere in space or would I just kind of be floating there and have to swim through it at ridiculously slow speeds? If not then I would rather go to earth at the beginning of life, with a microsope, of course.

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I'm also

EDIT - AGAIN with the theist posting in FreeThinking anonymous. be glad I was on vacation. next post I see puts you on an account time out.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Man of many names?????????????????

manofmanynames wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

I'm also pretty sure that irrefutable evidence that Jesus didn't exist wouldn't kill Christianity, but it would certainly put a crimp into it.

Or if he did exist, you could have killed him off before he was ever to make anything of himself, thereby changing the course of human history significantly as you assume for the better?

(It's far more likely that he existed than he didnt. So killing him early on, might be the best route you could take)

this is to you   ONLY:

How does one kill a God or a son of god and effect ANY human AT ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

cervello_marcio
Superfan
cervello_marcio's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul wrote:If i

The Doomed Soul wrote:

If i was to travel forward in time... i would plant myself somewhere... in the 41st millenium, on the offshot that all my dreams came true ^_^... even if they didnt, its the 41st millenium! humanity is either livin large or dont exist anymore, i'd be happy either way.

Back in time however, i think i would like to be sent... oh, probably into the jurrasic period... for shits and giggles, mostly. Even though my head would most likely exploded do to the change in oxygen ratio >.> .

(I wanna be the first person to kick a dinosaur in the nuts! )

Sorry Doom.

"Do not, as some ungracious pastors do, show me the steep and thorny way to heaven. Whiles, like a puff'd and reckless libertine, himself the primrose path of dalliance treads. And recks not his own rede."

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
>:O

manofmanynames wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Or if he did exist, you could have killed him off before he was ever to make anything of himself, thereby changing the course of human history significantly as you assume for the better?

(It's far more likely that he existed than he didnt. So killing him early on, might be the best route you could take)

Stab #2 in the face.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
If has to be either make

If has to be either make money or check to see if Jesus existed.

manofmanynames wrote:

Despite how anti-religious we are, I don't think anyone on this forum would kill Jesus. In fact, if he turned out to be the son of God, I'd probably convert. Either way, killing him is definitely not the best route.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Despite

EDIT - theist post destroyed

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:A best

manofmanynames wrote:

A best route for what? Hamby claimed if he could go back in the past, he would like to find irrefutable evidence, and bring it back to put a crimp in Christianity? If that's the desired end he seeks to achieve, who gives a fuck about what means it would have taken him to do so?

He could do it, and get away with it, and no one other than himself would of known he did it, and still achieved his glorious end of putting a crimp in Christianity. 

What? Ahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! Oh my God, you really think we're that horrible and evil? Awww...well, I wouldn't be surprised, if outside the battlefield of this forum, you're actually a pretty nice person. 

The desired end I seek to achieve, first and foremost, is to discover the truth. You always have to keep yourself open-minded; after all, the greatest enemy of the truth isn't lies, but conviction. If I discover that Jesus didn't exist, I'd try to bring back proof that he didn't exist. If I discover that Jesus did exist, I'd try to bring back proof that he did. Yes, Hamby would like to put a crimp in Christianity, but that's because he believes it is false and detrimental to mankind, so do I. If we ever discover that it isn't, then we must change our views. Reality comes first. No one should ever forget that.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears wrote:Since

marshalltenbears wrote:

Since I started the post I guess I will make up a couple of more rules. I was thinking that you would go back as an observer only and no one could see you or sense you and anything you did could have no effect on the present day. And you could not die. 

I guess, I'd go to the future. But if I came back with memories of what the future is like, this would affect the present, right? This would then change the future I experienced.

I think the only way time travel would be possible is if there is parallel univereses. So if someone time travels, they end up affecting the way things are in a different universe. This one goes on unaffected.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Actually EXC, there are

Actually EXC, there are a growing number of physicists who are willing to treat time travel as potentially something more than a cool idea for a bit of fiction. Parallel universes being only one way in which it might just be possible.

That being said, the overall concept of changing the past=changing the future is just not in line with the current speculations. As I noted above, if you try to off dear old grand dad, the fact that you succeed really only shows that either you got there a bit late to do the deed or he was never your grand dad in the first place. Honestly, paternity cases that come up in divorce court suggest that in the range of 20% of people in general are not their father's children despite what the mother had to say on the matter.

A related issue is that the English language (indeed any language) is just not suited to describe time travel. The verb tenses alone show that much. How would you really describe in mathematical terms the idea that something “is used to be”?

The idea of parallel universes is an interesting one however. Under the many worlds interpretation of quantum physics, anything that can happen must happen. However, it also happens in every way possible, leading to uncountable branching futures.

For example, we know that Alois Hitler spent most of his time from the late 1880's on in a bar. Had he had a few too many on one critical night, the history of Germany from about 1920 on (and subsequently world history) would have been very different. In fact, under the many worlds idea, that did happen, just no on our world line.

Given the right physics, it might even be possible to set up a time machine that can visit that version of reality. Of course, nobody is seriously suggesting that such a machine is even possible but there are mathematically consistent physical models where such things are possible. Whether any of those models is an accurate description of reality would be the real key to doing such.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Easy... I'd go back to The

Easy... I'd go back to The night I met my gelanitous stretch pants wearing bank account draining behemoth of an ex wife. When she asked me to dance, Instead of saying "sure", I'd just say "Hit the bricks, you future cholesterol addicted train wreck" ...

Then I'd buy a round for the entire club.