Are Believers entitled to their own set of FACTS ?

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
Are Believers entitled to their own set of FACTS ?

I saw this question on another Atheist web site,so I was wondering where you stand.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:    I saw

Ken G. wrote:

I saw this question on another Atheist web site,so I was wondering where you stand.

I'd say they think they are, but the reality is they are not.

"We know mitosis exists, so therefor Jesus is the one true god"

"We know mitosis exists, so therefor Allah is the one true god"

"We know mitosis exists, so therefor Yahweh is the one true god".

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Ken G. wrote:    I saw

Ken G. wrote:

What does that even mean? How are facts one's "own"? Both prosecution and defense have facts, and provide alternative interpretation of each others, but the facts are not ones "own". What you probably meant to imply, if it's to be a coherent question, is whether people are entitled to their own interpretations of facts?  And sure they are, just as Jesus mythicist are entitled to their own interpretation of the historical facts, it may not be all together reasonable, and often hooey, but their more than welcome to it, they just might have a hard time selling it to people. 

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 What a lot of people miss,

What a lot of people miss, I think, is that not all "facts" are subject to "interpretation."  I use scare quotes because both of those words can cause lots of problems if we don't use them very specifically.

Did Jesus exist as a historical person?

This question is open to interpretation.  Why?  Because there are a lot of legitimate ways to ask the question, and each has its own set of complications.  Before we say yes or no, we need to know what we mean by "Jesus."  For him to have existed, is it required that only one prophet/messiah figure was responsible for the beginning of Christianity?  If there were several figures, which one do we call Jesus?  Does the person's name have to resemble Jesus?  

All of these questions are fine, and depending on an individual's answer, the answer to the original question will change.  This is ok.  History is a story within a perspective.  It's actually damn near impossible to come up with something we could call a "scientific description of history."  The reason is that any action in history depends on subjective motivations, beliefs, and other human discrepancies.  Sure, there are limits to interpretations which could be called valid -- Nuclear weapons have been detonated in two Japanese cities, and lots of people did die.  You can't "interpret" that out of existence.  The explosions and detonations are a matter of scientific, empirical fact.

With matters of science, empiricism, and logic, there is far less room for interpretation.  What is the boiling point of lead?  2022K.   This is not open to interpretation.  Does evolution happen?  Yes.  What is the best way to describe the process of gradual genotype change over time?  Well... that's open to interpretation.  Given the boiling point of lead, is it the best metal to use for this industrial application?  Interpretation.

The best way to look at it is this:  Where human desires, goals, and motivations are involved, there's almost always room for interpretation of the facts, and sometimes the facts themselves are quite nebulous.  Did George Bush know 9/11 was going to happen?  Even if we had a video recording of his entire life for the previous month, we still might not be able to definitively answer the question.  With matters of material reality, there is seldom room for interpretation.  This block is made of aluminum.  That substance is a polymer.  The reaction we just saw was exothermic.  No interpretation.

Finally, in a trick of language, we can (and often do) interpret data from scientific experiments in an effort to establish scientific "fact."  The thing is, this isn't the same use of the word as when we interpret the question of Jesus historical existence.  There are rigorous and methodical ways to interpret raw data in a scientific context.  If you do it wrong, you will not pass peer review, and your experiment will be tossed onto the trash heap.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: With

Hambydammit wrote:
With matters of science, empiricism, and logic, there is far less room for interpretation.  What is the boiling point of lead?  2022K.   This is not open to interpretation.

Uhm, it's not there's less room for interpretation, it's just that there's less room competing interpretations. "The boiling point of led is 2022K", is an interpretation of the facts.   

Interpretation: an explanation or way of explaining  Data doesn't speak for itself, you have give an iinterpretation for it, in order for it to make sense.   

Quote:
Why?  Because there are a lot of legitimate ways to ask the question, and each has its own set of complications.  Before we say yes or no, we need to know what we mean by "Jesus." .....yadayayda.....

So the question here is "open" because we have to define terms, but the question of led boiling at 2022k is not open because we don't need to define terms? You don't have to define "boiling"?   

I personally am not exactly sure what "boiling" means, but I'm sure if I looked into the scientific material around the subject I'd have a good understanding of what they mean by it.   

This is not much different that if we were to go out and examine the consensus historians views on Jesus, of what it means to say that there was a historical Jesus, thereby we can contrast this picture to the views of mythicist who go against the claims of the consensus.    

History, like science doesn't give you a 100% certainty, there claims are always open to interpretation, it's just that some interpretation have left little room for viable competing ones.    

Quote:
With matters of science, empiricism, and logic, there is far less room for interpretation.

And this is a silly as claiming science leaves no room for explanations.   

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Uhm, it's not

Quote:
Uhm, it's not there's less room for interpretation, it's just that there's less room competing interpretations. "The boiling point of led is 2022K", is an interpretation of the facts.  

Did you read my whole post?  I addressed this at the end.

Quote:
So the question here is "open" because we have to define terms, but the question of led boiling at 2022k is not open because we don't need to define terms? You don't have to define "boiling"?  

No.  Because there is already an existing, precise, and non-negotiable scientific definition of "boiling point" which will not change unless we discover that we've been atrociously wrong about pretty much... chemistry.

Historical questions often involve terms which don't have scientifically rigorous definitions, so we need to specify which of many possible usages we're employing.  Go to a thousand different universities and ask ten thousand scientists what the boiling point of lead is, and you're going to get the same answer, and they're going to all know precisely what "boiling point" means.

Quote:
I personally am not exactly sure what "boiling" means, but I'm sure if I looked into the scientific material around the subject I'd have a good understanding of what they mean by it.

Your ignorance doesn't alter the reality of the existence of a scientific, non-negotiable definition.  If you try to "interpret" boiling point, you'd just be displaying ignorance, not offering a scientific interpretation of data.

Quote:
This is not much different that if we were to go out and examine the consensus historians views on Jesus, of what it means to say that there was a historical Jesus, thereby we can contrast this picture to the views of mythicist who go against the claims of the consensus.    

Horseshit.

What "historical Jesus" means is precisely what historians are still arguing about today.  The problem is that there is not, and has never been, a consensus.  Most published historians claim consensus, but for some reason, nobody can ever demonstrate it.

Furthermore, consensus is not even remotely similar to scientific accuracy.  If a thousand scientists get together and say the boiling point of lead is 1000K, they're all wrong, regardless of the consensus.  Peer review in science is the process of applying the non-negotiable standards of scientific rigor to published findings.  It's not the same as asking a thousand historians if they agree with the consensus opinion of a historical interpretation.

You know, don't you, that history can never acheive the same degree of certainty as scientific experiment, right?   You also know that different interpretations of who Jesus was change the standards for what and who would qualify as a "historical Jesus," right?  Since we have no definitive evidence... it's... speculation.  Even if it's a very well backed guess, it's still a guess, and there's no way to prove it like we can prove the melting point of lead.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

User is offlineOffline
Horseshit. What "historical

Hambydammit wrote:
Horseshit.

What "historical Jesus" means is precisely what historians are still arguing about today.  

Uhm, historians do not argue the existence of Jesus, anymore so than scientist argue if evolution happened, what's argued is if certain things Jesus said, or did, were out of his own mouth and actions, or given to him by each respective author, or community. If you were to look at a group of historians on the far left of the equator, the Jesus seminar, you'll even find  a consensus view there, of things he said, and did. Just because some parts of Ceaser greco-roman biography contains fictions and words that were not his own, doesn't mean there's much to argue if Ceaser did exist or not.

They may be arguing the "meanings" of Jesus, of "certain" things he said and did, of certain actions, and deeds, but there's hardly a credible historian in sight who claims that Jesus did not exist, I mean creationist and ID dudes have far more credentialed scientist than mythicist have such historians. 

What you are arguing here is really the meaning of the word "exist". You, like myself when it comes to word "boiling", are ignorant of what the word means. I know what the term "existence" means when applied to Jesus in the historical sense of the word, because i read the literature, and have explored the subject well enough that very few people attempt to argue with me. 

What you don't seem to get is that your ignorance of the word  "existence " in the historical sense, is not much different that my ignorance of the word "boiling" in the scientific sense. Surely when I say the water was boiling hot, in reference to the shower, it's meant differently that how scientist define it for their specific use. 

Quote:
Go to a thousand different universities and ask ten thousand scientists what the boiling point of lead is, and you're going to get the same answer, and they're going to all know precisely what "boiling point" means.

And, I can say the same to you, go to ten thousand different historians and ask them what the term "existence" means when applied to historical characters, and you're going to get similar sorts of answers. 

"Existence" and "boiling" are words that might have a good deal of ambiguity to them in terms of common usage, but when approaching history and science, the terms are far more distinctive. 

Quote:
You know, don't you, that history can never acheive the same degree of certainty as scientific experiment, right?

Well, I'm fairly confident most of us would say that a historical claim like Obama is America's first black president, would be greeted with just as much certainty as we would hold for the most accurate of scientific claims.

Now, I personally are more certain that Jesus existed, than I am of common descent (even though I accept it). And this is only because I'm relying more on the trust of others in accepting the later, than I am the former. Because with the historical Jesus, the evidence, the data is readily available to explore on my own.  And I have spent a good enough time reading and exploring the subjects to confidently defend that position to anyone, far better than I could do so for common descent. 

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Uhm, historians do

Quote:
Uhm, historians do not argue the existence of Jesus, anymore so than scientist argue if evolution happened, what's argued is if certain things Jesus said, or did, were out of his own mouth and actions, or given to him by each respective author, or community.

That's so absurd that I can only ignore it completely.

Are you trying to get at a historical Jesus with this thread?  If so, I'm going to bow out.  I hate this topic.  Are you trying to say there's no difference between historical "fact" and scientific "fact"?  I can't argue with that kind of ignorance.  Are you trying to say that science and history are equally "interpretable"?  If so...  well... you should spend some time doing science in a lab.  

Books about atheism

User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Are you

Hambydammit wrote:

Are you trying to say that science and history are equally "interpretable"?  If so...  well... you should spend some time doing science in a lab.

No, overall, scientific claims have less room for competing interpretations, than overall historical claims. But this is "overall", but this is not to say that certain individual historical claims have more room for competing interpretations than scientific ones. I mean can you present to me a scientific claim that holds more certainty than a historical claim that Barack Obama is the 44th president of the United States?

Quote:
That's so absurd that I can only ignore it completely.

Really? Can you name me some living mythicist historians who teaches at a respectable university, presents his findings in peer-reviewed journals? Robert Price who teaches at uncredited school founded by a prosperity gospel preacher, doesn't cut it, How many can you find? Perhaps 2, if even that? Do you want me give you names of ID scientist who do?

I should say there is even less historians who argue that Jesus did not exist, than their scientist who support ID, or some other form of creationism. 

This is an absurd claim to you? Are you suggesting otherwise?

Quote:
Are you trying to get at a historical Jesus with this thread?  If so, I'm going to bow out.  I hate this topic.

Well, hamy will you admit that your understanding of the historical method is a bit ignorant? but I'm sure the reason for it is a lack of interest in the subject matter. You seem to be implying here that you don't know much about the historicity of Jesus, if so, it's quite understandable as to why you find it difficult to understand what "existence" means in the historical sense of the word. 

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Uhm,

manofmanynames wrote:

Um.... no.  "The boiling point of lead is 2022K" is a statement of fact.  It's not an interpretation of anything.  There's no explanation of meaning and there's no attempt to clarify.  Nothing is being interpreted.  It's just what happens.

manofmanynames wrote:

Seriously?  You don't know what boiling means?   Have you ever seen a kettle?

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I told you, I'm not

I told you, I'm not interested in discussing the historicity of Jesus.  That means I'm also not interested in comparing authorities with you.  I am neither a mythicist nor a historicist because I don't care.

If you're interested in historians who actively question the "traditional" validity of the existence of a historical Jesus, here's a place to start:

http://www.centerforinquiry.net/jesusproject/fellows

Whether or not anything comes of the Jesus Project (I suspect nothing will... it seems to be more of an exercise in pedigree comparison than actual work) this is, at the very least, a list of scholars who are interested in asking the question of Jesus historicity without the preconceived notion that he must have existed.

This is the last thing I'm going to say on the subject because I don't care.

Quote:
No, overall, scientific claims have less room for competing interpretations, than overall historical claims. But this is "overall", but this is not to say that certain individual historical claims have more room for competing interpretations than scientific ones. I mean can you present to me a scientific claim that holds more certainty than a historical claim that Barack Obama is the 44th president of the United States?

And you accuse me of being ignorant of historical method?  It's hard not to sound condescending, but you are aware that the scientific, empirically verifiable presence of Barak Obama is qualitatively different from the set of evidence for, say... Homer, right?  The distance from empiricism is part of the problem of history.  Did the holocaust happen?  Yes.  There are thousands... tens of thousands of pieces of corroborating evidence, and plenty of people still living whose parents and grandparents were killed in it.  Were all of Homer's works written by the same person?  That's a little harder to say for certain.  Was he a Greek poet during the Trojan wars, or was he alive several hundred years later, working from oral tradition instead of first hand knowledge?  Again, hard to say.  There are bits of evidence pointing to different conclusions, and historians must decide how much weight each piece of evidence ought to have.

Now, here's where science and history diverge permanently.  Let's suppose that we find a new stash of Greek artifacts, including a first draft of The Iliad, which we can date to within fifty or a hundred years of the 8th century BCE.  Does that prove that Homer lived?  No.  It does not.  It proves that somebody wrote the first draft of The Iliad in the 8th century BCE.  The guy who wrote it might not have been Greek.  He might not have been named Homer.  It might have been three or four people who collaborated on writing the story.  There's simply no way to know for certain.

History is about best guesses.  Some guesses are so backed up by evidence that they are practically not worth questioning.  Kennedy was the president.  He had sex with Marilyn Monroe.  So did Joe DiMaggio.  There's little point in questioning these claims since there are mountains of evidence, and plenty of people still alive who knew them.  Was George Washington an atheist?  Harder to tell.  We're several generations removed from anyone who knew him personally, and the surviving first-hand accounts from Washington himself are less than completely clear.  Furthermore, we don't know the circumstances of the writings.  He was, after all, a politician.  Should we take all his writings as true simply because he wrote them, or should we try to interpret them through what we know and feel strongly about based on contextual evidence and concurrent history?  Of course we have to admit some doubt.

This, in a nutshell, is the difference between historical interpretation and scientific investigation.  When we do a science experiment, we get raw data that, by itself, doesn't tell us anything  because it's just a bunch of numbers.  Once the numbers are put through the rigorous and unambiguous process of empiricism, we have a finding which represents a fact of empirical reality.  Lead boils at this temperature, and aluminum at that temperature.  No interpretation.  This rock is between 6 and 8 million years old, with this margin of error.  This study over here has a p value of <0.02, and so we can be virtually certain the results are not random.  This is not interpretation.  It is statement of empirical findings.

Books about atheism

User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote:Um....

MichaelMcF wrote:

Um.... no.  "The boiling point of lead is 2022K" is a statement of fact.  It's not an interpretation of anything.  There's no explanation of meaning and there's no attempt to clarify.

Look at what you just wrote, you just referred to the claim as a "statement" of fact,  a "statement" is an expression of facts, a definite or clear expression of something in speech or writing. Lead boils at 2022K is an explanation of an observation. It is an interpretation of that observation.

To put it to you more clearly, if you were to say to someone who didn't know, that the boiling point of lead is 2022K, he can ask you why is this so. You would have to give him an explanation, an interpretation of certain observations that make it so. 

Quote:
Seriously?  You don't know what boiling means?   Have you ever seen a kettle?

Well, I'm used to hearing the word boiling in my everyday, to mean "very hot", often used in reference to water coming out of a sink, a shower head, even for a hot day. If you asked me if i knew it in a stricter sense, the best assumption I could give you would be when a liquid is so hot bubbles form, but don't take my word for it, if you asked me for an even stricter sense in which science uses the term an hour or so ago, I'd say I'm not too sure, because I'd admit to my ignorance, and that I would actually have to google it, to tell you for sure. 

But perhaps I'm wrong, and perhaps you can tell me the difference between a statement of the facts, and interpretation of the facts? A statement concerning of the results of an observation, and interpretation of the results of an observation?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Goddammit, equivocation

Goddammit, equivocation pisses me off.

Same word, dude.  Two meanings.  Fucking hell...

Interpretation: choosing among various plausible explanations for vague or nebulous information.

Interpretation(1): describing an empirical reality in words that will make sense to someone who doesn't understand the words currently being used.

Interpretation(2): Using words to give communication value to sets of empirical data describing empirical reality.

Books about atheism

Abu Lahab
Superfan
Abu Lahab's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:to someone

Hambydammit wrote:

.....to someone who doesn't understand the words currently being used.

Well played, Mr. H.

Nail. On. Hit. Head. The. The.

Solve the word scramble for the answer to the cryptic puzzle..

How can not believing in something that is backed up with no empirical evidence be less scientific than believing in something that not only has no empirical evidence but actually goes against the laws of the universe and in many cases actually contradicts itself? - Ricky Gervais

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:   Are

Hambydammit wrote:

Are you trying to say that science and history are equally "interpretable"?  If so...  well... you should spend some time doing science in a lab.  

Are you trying to say that science is not "interpretable"?

You sure love your science Hamby.

Boiling Point given 2022 K is a specific point of a scientific truth. To make your statement true that specific point and parameters has to be added to your statement. The complete truth of boiling is usually given as a index. Boiling index of a given chemical, lets call it a change from a liquid state to vapor state,  takes into account all isotopes, isotope stability and current energy level of a given isotope.
The Boiling point of lead could be stated as
  3179.93 to 3180.2  F
       2022 to 2022.15  K
  1748.85 to 1748.88 C
If a person really wants to be stupid they could claim that your absolute statement contradicts other
true statements therefore you are completely wrong. And you would be under a broader discription of Lead and the boiling point given was a rounded number. If you want to push to the ridiculous than this is a truth.

Metal elements do give less room for variance as compared to compounds. So lets make it simpler.                                 Water (H2O)freezes at 0°C and boils at 100°C
Truth –Yes
Interpretive- Yes
Perfect truth – NO
Interpretive-
These values are set at a given parameters and do not take into account all variables.
Since I have seen flowing rivers and DI water in a liquid state below 0°C that must mean they were not made of H2O .
I have also seen water boil well below 100°C  that must mean it is not made of H2O. Truth- not really unless the river really wasn't water, which could be true in some areas

Truth cannot be found in facts. If it could than everyone who looked at the same facts would come to understand
the same truths. The simple fact that the human mind is an interpretive machine should prove that there is no self-created
perfect truth.

To get back on topic- Can people have different set of Facts- not really. Unless you just want to be ridiculous. Different truths can come from the same facts. Facts don't change. This self-enlightenment (often placed under the signature of Free thinking) causes the self-perpetuating problem called human conflict found in both science and history.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Are you trying to

Quote:
Are you trying to say that science is not "interpretable"?

You sure love your science Hamby.

Boiling Point given 2022 K is a specific point of a scientific truth. To make your statement true that specific point and parameters has to be added to your statement. The complete truth of boiling is usually given as a index. Boiling index of a given chemical, lets call it a change from a liquid state to vapor state,  takes into account all isotopes, isotope stability and current energy level of a given isotope.
  3179.93 to 3180.2  F
       2022 to 2022.15  K
  1748.85 to 1748.88 C
If a person really wants to be stupid they could claim that your absolute statement contradicts other
true statements therefore you are completely wrong. And you would be under a broader discription of Lead and the boiling point given was a rounded number. If you want to push to the ridiculous than this is a truth.

Are you trying to be a fucktard?  Because you're being a fucktard.  Would you have preferred that I reprint an entire textbook so that you have the complete course of human knowledge regarding all aspects of boiling with regard to lead?

Or... can you be a grown up and admit that the concept I was portraying is quite straightforward.  Within X circumstances with Y variables, lead boils according to real, constant principles existing in the material universe.  These principles are not open to interpretation.  They are constant principles which exist within definite parameters.

I'm done talking to you.

Books about atheism

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Please print the bookBut do

Please print the book

But do me a favor and read it first.

Maybe then you could answer a bit more polite and grown up

RatDog
atheist
User is offlineOffline
People are not entitled to

People are not entitled to their own set of facts.  People are not always even entitled to their own interpretation of those facts.  For example courts of law exists to chose one interpretation of facts over another.  They exists to decided which interpretation is "correct".

Lets consider an example. Its a bit extreme but I think it shows my point.  Lets imagine that there is a man who thinks that everyone who is wearing red is going to try and kill him.  This man shoots another man who is waring red and claims that it is self defense.  This man interpreted the fact that the other man was wearing red to mean that his life was in danger.  Are you going to say that everyone should be able to interpret facts as they see fit and that therefore this man's actions or justified, or are you going to judge this mans actions based of your own interpreting of facts?  Sometimes societies allow other people to have there own interpretations of facts and act on those interpretations however they see fit, but this is not always true.  Some interpretations of facts simply aren't allowed. 

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote:Please print

Mjolnin wrote:

Please print the book

But do me a favor and read it first.

Maybe then you could answer a bit more polite and grown up

Polite or not, he's right. There exists a precise definition of "boiling point" and his informal reference to it stands. There is no interpretation involved. Appealing to informal or incomplete terminology changes nothing in this respect.

All that is necessary for the triumph of good is that evil men do nothing.

User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:If you're

Hambydammit wrote:
If you're interested in historians who actively question the "traditional" validity of the existence of a historical Jesus

Dude, you gave me a list of names for the Jesus Project, not a list of names of historians who all question the existence of a historical Jesus. When you can go through the list and find me the names of historians, and not fellows of the Jesus project who have nothing to do with history at all, such as Angie McAllister McQuaig, and Frank ZIndler, who claim themselves to be mythicist you let me know. Let me guess, you found like two? The hack who works at an uncredited university founded by a prosperity gospel preacher, and a dude who claims that Jesus eating meat on the passover with his disciples is a ripped straight out of Homer's Odyssey? Yea, the Jesus Project sure sounds promising, with great minds such as these, why wouldn't it be. 

Quote:
It's hard not to sound condescending, but you are aware that the scientific, empirically verifiable presence of Barak Obama is qualitatively different from the set of evidence for, say... Homer,

Smiling Did I say anything about Homer? I'm sure Historians are more certain that Barack Obama is the current president of the US, than they are on the existence of any historical persons in the pre-modern world.  But that was never my point.

The holocaust happened, Obama is the 44th president are all historical claims, that we are as certain of as any claim in the natural sciences. You do concede this point right?

I never claimed that all historical claims, such as Homer existing hold as much certainty.

Quote:
Now, here's where science and history diverge permanently. .....History is about best guesses.  

Dude you distinction is rather superficial. I'm going to tell you the difference, or at least the percieved difference between the two. History particulary when dealing with the pre-modern words deals far more with thoughts, motives, intentions, of persons and communities in it's reconstructions, that with what most of us are used to in the natural sciences. It as much of a guess work, as any sort of scientific exploration into the similar sorts of motivations, such as evolutionary psychology. 

You made the mistake of throwing around claims such as multiple authors, when in fact such claims in history are based on solid arguments. If you familiarize yourself with textual criticism you would know this. If you believe there were multiple authors to particular composition, you make a case for it, in fact such cases have long been made. 

Quote:
When we do a science experiment, we get raw data that, by itself, doesn't tell us anything  because it's just a bunch of numbers.  Once the numbers are put through the rigorous and unambiguous process of empiricism, we have a finding which represents a fact of empirical reality.

You're making even mores superficial distinctions. History also works by taking into account a wealth of raw data, and making a proximation of the past. Scientific claims of our biological history doesn't work much differently. Our validation of claims of common ancestry by noting odd, or distinctive similarities in our DNA with other species, is not all together different in how we evaluate a composition for a number of authors, and filter out distinctive styles, patterns, words, thoughts, ideas belonging to a single body, from others. It how historians derived the documentary hypothesis, the multiple authors of the penteauch, and how historians claim that the Christ reference in Josephous is an interpolation. Fewer people argue against the interpolation of Josephous than they do against common descent.  

And when we use a term such as certainty, it's a representation of how much confidence we have in a particular claim or finding, in the accuracy of our testing methods, in the reasoning of our assumptions, in the analysis of our peers, the reliability of our equipment, the workman ship of those that manufactured them. The confidence in the findings of those that proceeded us, etc..etc..etc.. When you claim that the boiling point of led is 2022K, i'm pretty sure your confidence here is not based on you repeating the experiment, but rather is based on your confidence in the findings of a consensus. 

Now, I'm personally more certain, in saying that Jesus existed, than I am in claiming that the boiling point of led is 2022K. For the latter, I never conduced the experiment, and if I were to accept it, it would be based on your word, and the words of the few hits i get on a google search. 

When it comes to Jesus, I can say I'm far more certain, because I've evaluated much of the data myself, studying the methodology, can apply it myself, I can take a part the criticism.  I'm less reliant on the opinions of experts, than I am in accepting the boiling point of led. 

User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:Polite or

thatonedude wrote:

Polite or not, he's right. There exists a precise definition of "boiling point" and his informal reference to it stands. There is no interpretation involved.

Atonedude can you do me a favor, define interpretation, and then apply it to exclude the definition of boiling point. I'm using interpretation to mean an "explanation", is this an improper usage of the word? 

User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:Polite or

thatonedude wrote:

Polite or not, he's right. There exists a precise definition of "boiling point" and his informal reference to it stands. There is no interpretation involved.

Atonedude can you do me a favor, define interpretation, and then apply it to exclude the definition of boiling point. I'm using interpretation to mean an "explanation", is this an improper usage of the word? 

I'll turn to the encylopedia:

An interpretation is an explanation of the meaning of some object  of attention

Is a claim that the boiling point of lead is 2022K fit into this defintion of an interpretation? Is it, or is it not an explanation of the meaning of an observation (the object of attention)?

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

I'll turn to the encylopedia:

An interpretation is an explanation of the meaning of some object  of attention

Is a claim that the boiling point of lead is 2022K fit into this defintion of an interpretation? Is it, or is it not an explanation of the meaning of an observation (the object of attention)?

If defined in that manner, it is perfectly acceptable, provided that you are not overloading the term "meaning." The definition I was using was:

Merriam Webster wrote:

to conceive in the light of individual belief, judgment, or circumstance

This is consonant with the original topic and the way Hamby was using the word.

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Look at

manofmanynames wrote:

Look at what you just wrote, you just referred to the claim as a "statement" of fact,  a "statement" is an expression of facts, a definite or clear expression of something in speech or writing. Lead boils at 2022K is an explanation of an observation. It is an interpretation of that observation.

To put it to you more clearly, if you were to say to someone who didn't know, that the boiling point of lead is 2022K, he can ask you why is this so. You would have to give him an explanation, an interpretation of certain observations that make it so.

But perhaps I'm wrong, and perhaps you can tell me the difference between a statement of the facts, and interpretation of the facts? A statement concerning of the results of an observation, and interpretation of the results of an observation?

I'll give it a bash.

I have a chemical in my lab called paraquat.  This chemical changes colour in an oxygen free environment when exposed to UV light.  At a known concentration of paraquat, and a known intensity of light, you can record how quickly the colour changes.  Paraquat is a chloride salt (Pa+Cl-).  We can perform an ion exchange and turn it into an iodide salt (Pa+I-).  When we perform the same experiment with the iodide salt we see that the colour change is slower than the one observed with the choride.  Now there are a couple of ways to interpret this data:

1)  The heavy ion effect is quenching the excited state of the paraquat and removing its ability to become a coloured radical.

2)  The presence of the iodide ion has altered the electronic structure of the compound in such a way that it no longer absorbs as much UV light.

Both of these are interpretations of the data.  They're both possible and we won't know the proper answer without further investigation.

We know that liquids boil.  That's a fact.  Lots of experiments were performed in years past that had to be interpreted to define the specifics of this process but it's a well understood fact now.  If you heat lead to 2022K it turns from liquid to gas.  Thus, lead boils at 2022K.  There's nothing else that could possible be happening.  It's a fact.  No interpretation required.  Any other use of the word is equivocation as Hamby has stated.

Mjolnin wrote:

Actually quoted boiling points are most commonly associated with the most common forms of the element or compound in question.

And, in regards to the section I've highlighted, you've said "let's call it" as if there's any other definition of boiling.  What else could you call it?  Oh, and please, don't start on "well it's actually the point at which the vapour pressure of a liquid equals atmospheric pressure" as if that means something different.  It doesn't.

Mjolnin wrote:

3179.93 to 3180.2  F
       2022 to 2022.15  K
  1748.85 to 1748.88 C

Pushing to the ridiculous eh?  Like splitting hairs over 0.15 of a degree on a Kelvin scale in the thousands?  Though, if you're going to split hairs on something at least get your numbers right.

Celsius = 1748.85 - 1748.88

Farenheit = 3179.93 - 3179.984

Kelvin = 2021.85 - 2021.88

The Kelvin and Celsius scales are tied together by a value of 273.  If you're going to list them together they have to match.

Mjolnin wrote:

Metal elements do give less room for variance as compared to compounds. So lets make it simpler.                                 Water (H2O)freezes at 0°C and boils at 100°C
Truth –Yes
Interpretive- Yes
Perfect truth – NO
Interpretive-
These values are set at a given parameters and do not take into account all variables.
Since I have seen flowing rivers and DI water in a liquid state below 0°C that must mean they were not made of H2O .
I have also seen water boil well below 100°C  that must mean it is not made of H2O. Truth- not really unless the river really wasn't water, which could be true in some areas

Except this isn't remotely tied to the question of boiling point at hand, is shockingly poor logic, and is utlimately a strawman.

Just because the boiling point of a substance can be altered doesn't make the statement that it boils at a certain temperature untrue.  That statement is a fact.  There's a presupposition in that statement that we're talking about normal conditions.  To bring special and unusual conditions into it - conditions which our current imaginary layman wouldn't consider - does not reduce the truth value of our statement.

In your example above you've change situation.  You're not addressing whether something boils at a given temperature, you're asking whether an observed material, with no extra data, is the compound you suspect it is based upon your knowledge of boiling points.  That's when you start to interpret what you're seeing.  It's not the same question and doesn't apply to our statement on lead.

- Lawrence Krauss

User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote:We know

MichaelMcF wrote:

We know that liquids boil.  That's a fact.  Lots of experiments were performed in years past that had to be interpreted to define the specifics of this process but it's a well understood fact now.  If you heat lead to 2022K it turns from liquid to gas.  Thus, lead boils at 2022K.  There's nothing else that could possible be happening.  It's a fact.  No interpretation required.  Any other use of the word is equivocation as Hamby has stated.

I use the word "interpretation" in a particular way, the way in which an encyclopedia would define it: "ainterpretation is an explanation of the meaning of some object. of attention. " I used the word as the first definition that springs up when I type it in the New Oxford American Dictionary: 

"interpretation |inˌtərpriˈtā sh ən|

noun

the action of explaining the meaning of something"

I don't understand the word any other way, so when I hear you or Hamby make a claim that implies that claiming something as fact is not an interpretation of something, it's rather incoherent to me. It's the exact equivalent of an incoherent claim such as "a fact is not an explanation of what something is." 

Imagine this. If I come into a room, you show me something in a pot that's about to start boiling, you point to a little glass stick with a red liquid inside of it, when bubbles start to form, you tell me "see?". And, I tell you "see what?", what am i seeing?" The only way i can make sense of something, is by having an explanation (an interpretation) for what I am observing. 

Something cannot be a fact, without an interpretation for why it's a fact. 

I'm not using some sort of obscure definition of the term "interpretation", you both are, I defined the term numerous times in the course of this discussion. And if you can take issue with it, it better be with how it's commonly defined. You both are using it a way that seems rather incoherent, and have yet to justify this distortion of the term.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

What he is saying, is that there is only one correct interpretation of it. You can claim it is magical ants that cause lead to turn to gas, or faeries or pixies, but your interpretation (rendering, translation) of events, is still not correct.

Basically, someone who can't speak latin or hebrew showing you something they translated from latin to hebrew means nothing. They have an interpretation of it, maybe they created patterns where there were none...(some of the letters repeating must mean they liked pie) However, it doesn't make it valid in any way. Worse, if we have the correct translation with examples of usage in a lot of evidence.....well, lets just say that baseless claims don't hold up well to scrutiny, no matter how many people were convinced the text said "we like pie".

Just because you have an interpretation doesn't mean it is correct. To assume it is a "fact" is faulty, because then you would be saying it is "fact" the text said "we like pie". You could also say it is "fact" that Scientology is true, or "fact" that the moon goddess bestows homosexuality upon a chosen few to spread wisdom of design amongst the people.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote: I'll give it a bash !

with all of this back and forth argument over interpretation of facts,it's a wonder to me that the name Thomas Kuhn (Structures of Scientific Revolutions) has not been mention.

Signature ? How ?

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I think ClockCat has hit the

I think ClockCat has hit the nail on the head - there's a bit of confusion on the language here, which I'll accept responsibility for.

The argument, in my reading, was that historical science were as rigorous/valid as the physical sciences because both relied on interpretations of observed data.  The point that Hamby was making, and that I mangled with clumsy language, is that much of history is still open to interpretation, whereas much of the physical sciences aren't.

No one is denying that data has to be interpreted in science.  That's what my example with paraquat was supposed to prove.  The argument is that, in the physical sciences, there are many things which are no longer open to interpretation, such as the boiling point of lead.

You said:

manofmanynames wrote:

That's not quite true.  It's not "a" interpretation, it's the only intepretation.   We don't even need to use the phrase "intepretation".  It is a fact.  Let's do a thought experiment and assume we know almost nothing.

We have a pool of molten lead, a heater, and a method of measuring temperature.  We notice that every time T gets to 2022K the lead begins to bubble and even begins to disappear!  We repeat this experiment a thousand times and keep seeing the same thing.  What does this mean?  What's going on here?  We need to interpret the data...

[pause]

For this I'm going with Websters definition

Interpret

1.  To explain the meaning of

2.  To conceive the significance of

3.  To present or coneptualize the meaning of by means of art and criticism.

4.  To translate

[/pause]

... so what are our possible interpretations of what we're seeing?  I'll go with two possibilities:

1.  We know that bubbles are formed by gas so it could be that the heat is forcing trapped gas to the surface, allowing it to escape, and the lead is contracting into the free space, thus explaining the apparent shrinkage.

2.  We know that simple liquids like water undergo a phase transition from liquid to gas at high temperature, specifically at the point that the vapour pressure above the liquid equals atmospheric pressure.

So we measure the mass of our pan containing the lead and the pressure in the head space above it when we perform our experiment again.  What do you know - the pan loses mass and the pressure in the head space increases!  It looks like our second interpretation was correct.  Further experiments conclude that this is the only possible interpretation.  Thus the statement "lead boils at 2022K" is no longer referred to as an interpretation of the observed facts; it is referred to as a fact because there's nothing left to be explained.  There are no holes or unexplored areas.  There's nothing to interpret anymore.

Of course, if you ask me "why does lead boil at that temperature" or "why do liquids boil" then I would run you through the data and could tell you what interpretations led us to this fact.

History isn't so clear cut.  History has lots of holes and areas demanding explanation, even in periods that we claim to know quite well!  Much of history is still open to interpretation because there are still lots of possible explanations of events based on the little evidence we have.

manofmanynames wrote:

Imagine this. If I come into a room, you show me something in a pot that's about to start boiling, you point to a little glass stick with a red liquid inside of it, when bubbles start to form, you tell me "see?". And, I tell you "see what?", what am i seeing?" The only way i can make sense of something, is by having an explanation (an interpretation) for what I am observing.

This is ridiculous and you know it.

1.  Why would I turn round point at it and say "see?" with no prior explanation.

2.  You know what a thermometer is so to somehow see it as an ambiguous glass stick filled with red liquid is preposterous.

3.  You shoot yourself in the foot by saying "you show me something in a pot that's about to start boiling".  So you know it's about to boil before I've said anything.... interesting. 

You may need an explanation of why I'm doing this, but if you saw a thermometer at temperature X with bubbles forming in the liquid you'd know that it was boiling.  No explanation required.  

- Lawrence Krauss

User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote:This is

MichaelMcF wrote:
This is ridiculous and you know it.

Yea, I know it's a ridiculous example, and the point of it wasn't to make a case for the likeliness of that happening.. But rather to point the distinction between "seeing" something, and making sense of that something we see. It's the making "sense" part of what we see that's an interpretation, regardless if we make sense of it based on our prior knowledge, or if someone else makes sense of it for us.

Quote:

"That's not quite true.  It's not "a" interpretation, it's the only intepretation.  "

And this is the problem, when you claim that something is the "only" interpretation, that there can be no other, it's a claim of absolute, a claim of 100% certainty, but science by it's very nature doesn't afford 100% certainty to it's claim. When science makes a claim like the boiling point of lead is 2022K, this may be as close to as an absolute certainty as we can get, but the room left that doesn't make it there, is room afforded for other interpretations. 

To give you an example, what if their were only a few scientist who conducted the experiment, and they coincidently ended up using a thermometer produced by the same manufacturer, and these thermometers were all faulty, and  gave false readings. Or what if lead might actually cause the mercury to give out false readings? These interpretations are highly unlikely, but they are not impossible. Lead boiling at 2022K may be the very very very very most likely interpretation, but it's not the only one. It's the very nature of science, that it doesn't afford a 100% certainty to its claims. 

So I stand by my claim, that , " it's not there's less room for interpretation, it's just that there's less room competing interpretations."

Quote:
"History isn't so clear cut.  History has lots of holes and areas demanding explanation, even in periods that we claim to know quite well!  Much of history is still open to interpretation because there are still lots of possible explanations of events based on the little evidence we have."

I don't think science is a clear cut either, it may be clear cut when it comes to the ToE, the boiling point of lead, etc... , but so is history in claims such as the holocaust happened, or Barrack Obama is the 44th president of the united states. But science is not as clear cut in is let's say in the explanation of certain things given by evolutionary psychology. 

Or lets take for instance the experiment conducted where the participants would shock a person at different degree of voltage for getting answers wrong. The given interpretation of this data is that those giving the shocks, even when the individual being shocked sounded like they were in a great deal of pain, did so out of sheer obedience to an authority figure. 

But this is not a clear cut for me, in fact I don't even agree with the interpretation. I believe that many of individuals who continually pressed the button, did so out of the sheer satisfaction of it, such as "satisfaction" individuals have gotten from watching public lynchings, beheadings, and other absurd acts of violence. The authority figure, only acted as a means for the individuals to avoid being being weary of any consequences for their actions.  Regardless if you agree with me or not, a scientific experiment was conducted, a scientific interpretation was given, but its far from a clear cut one. 

It could be true that "more" of science is clear cut than history, but it's not true that all scientific claims are as clear cut. And, I am bit weary of saying what sort of claims history is most composed of, as well as what sort of claims science is most composed of. 

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
what I was looking for

manofmanynames wrote:

Just because the boiling point of a substance can be altered doesn't make the statement that it boils at a certain temperature untrue.  That statement is a fact.  There's a presupposition in that statement that we're talking about normal conditions.  To bring special and unusual conditions into it - conditions which our current imaginary layman wouldn't consider - does not reduce the truth value of our statement.

In your example above you've change situation.  You're not addressing whether something boils at a given temperature, you're asking whether an observed material, with no extra data, is the compound you suspect it is based upon your knowledge of boiling points.  That's when you start to interpret what you're seeing.  It's not the same question and doesn't apply to our statement on lead.

I really like your responce . This is more of what I was looking for.

My responce  is tied to the question in a simple way- Facts are not the problem. Presumptions and unaccepting concepts are the problem. Limiting the facts about boiling Lead made it easy to run off topic and still tell the truth. This time on purpose and to prove a point
When Ken G wrote” Are Believers entitled to their own set of FACTS”
I interpret the statement as to a limited set of facts on any given situation. A layman on any subject can be manipulated by limiting Facts. It is not a practice used just by Bible believers and is done in the science fields. Data (fact) manipulation is not as uncommon as I would like to believe.

To get back on topic- Are Believers entitled to their own set of FACTS - not really. Unless you just want to be ridiculous.
Limiting a set of Facts  allows anyone on any subject to believe stupid.

"thatonedude

Polite or not, he's right. There exists a precise definition of "boiling point" and his informal reference to it stands. There is no interpretation involved. Appealing to informal or incomplete terminology changes nothing in this respect"

Only if you don't know the difference

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote:  Only if you

Mjolnin wrote:

How is this different from any statement of fact in any context whatsoever? Ignorance of geometry does not make the Pythagorean Theorem open to interpretation, for example. A fact either corresponds to reality(and thus is true) or it does not(and thus is false).

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:To give

manofmanynames wrote:

To give you an example, what if their were only a few scientist who conducted the experiment, and they coincidently ended up using a thermometer produced by the same manufacturer, and these thermometers were all faulty, and  gave false readings. Or what if lead might actually cause the mercury to give out false readings? These interpretations are highly unlikely, but they are not impossible. Lead boiling at 2022K may be the very very very very most likely interpretation, but it's not the only one. It's the very nature of science, that it doesn't afford a 100% certainty to its claims. 

So I stand by my claim, that , " it's not there's less room for interpretation, it's just that there's less room competing interpretations."

I know what you're getting it, so I won't be too picky with your examples here, but for anything in science to be considered a fact it must be reproducible by anyone.  If it's something that's been done by 6 people only, and with only one type of equipment, then someone somewhere is going to try it with different equipment*.  The sort of things you're talking about are always considered in experiment and in the reporting of results.

*In fact there have been recent examples of this.  A group in japan claimed to have cracked water-splitting and when someone else found nothing using an identical experimental set-up the japanese results were shelved.

manofmanynames wrote:

I don't think science is a clear cut either, it may be clear cut when it comes to the ToE, the boiling point of lead, etc... , but so is history in claims such as the holocaust happened, or Barrack Obama is the 44th president of the united states.

But these things are recent history.  We have eye-wtinesses to these events and we live in a more studious time, where lots of information is recorded.  When we talk about events that happened 2000 years ago it's not so clear-cut.

manofmanynames wrote:

But science is not as clear cut in is let's say in the explanation of certain things given by evolutionary psychology. 

Or lets take for instance the experiment conducted where the participants would shock a person at different degree of voltage for getting answers wrong. The given interpretation of this data is that those giving the shocks, even when the individual being shocked sounded like they were in a great deal of pain, did so out of sheer obedience to an authority figure. 

But this is not a clear cut for me, in fact I don't even agree with the interpretation. I believe that many of individuals who continually pressed the button, did so out of the sheer satisfaction of it, such as "satisfaction" individuals have gotten from watching public lynchings, beheadings, and other absurd acts of violence. The authority figure, only acted as a means for the individuals to avoid being being weary of any consequences for their actions.  Regardless if you agree with me or not, a scientific experiment was conducted, a scientific interpretation was given, but its far from a clear cut one. 

I presume you're referring to the Milgram experiment.

For a start the Milgram experiment is one of social psychology, not necessarily evolutionary psychology.  I wish people would stop throwing that title around as if it applied to all psychological experiments.

Your interpretation of the data is flawed on a couple of levels.  Firstly, your interpretation is based on what you believe about human psychology, not on any experimental observations of your own or tied to the Milgram experiment.  Secondly, you also ignore the sub-discussion of the Milgram experiment - as so many people often do - that the majority of the test subjects displayed high degrees of tension and obvious revulsion at what was going on.  Even when making statements such as "This is senseless" or "Oh God, let's stop it", as was the case with one visibly traumatised businessman, the subjects would still continue on when told "You have no other choice you must go on"1.  The sensible conclusions from this is that obedience to an authority figure was the driving factor, especially as every effort had been made to remove obligation to the authority figure.

Milgrams interpretation was a scientific one, yours is not.

Going way off topic - it annoys me that so many people keep bringing this experiment up.  The assumption that so many people seem to make is that the subject was sat in a room pressing buttons and the experiments simply prodded him to go higher and that's all they recorded.  This blatantly isn't true and misconceptions of it, due to its evocative nature, have fuelled too many arguments.  Milgram himself admitted that the paper was a failure.  It was his intention that this paper would act as a model for future experiments into the study of authority.  Instead, in his words, it became "more a subject of citation than of replication".  People talk about the results of the experiment as if that's all there was to it.  Milgram superceded the experiment with others later on and much more study has been done in this area.

manofmanynames wrote:

It could be true that "more" of science is clear cut than history, but it's not true that all scientific claims are as clear cut. And, I am bit weary of saying what sort of claims history is most composed of, as well as what sort of claims science is most composed of. 

There's no argument here.  More of science is clear cut, and is demonstrable tens and hundreds of years after the first experiments.  I never argued that all of science was clear cut.  No-one did.  The point was that history is much more open to interpretation than the majority of science.

1  This was one of four prods used in the experiment.  The were:

a.  Please continue or Please go on

b.  The experiment requires that you continue

c.  It is absolutley essential that you continue

d.  You have no other choice, you must go on.

Each prod could only be used when the previous prod had failed.

- Lawrence Krauss

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote:Limiting the

Mjolnin wrote:

Limiting the facts about boiling Lead made it easy to run off topic and still tell the truth. This time on purpose and to prove a point

well, you weren't limiting facts on lead - you were trying to expand them - and I don't see what point you were trying to make.

Mjolnin wrote:

It is not a practice used just by Bible believers and is done in the science fields. Data (fact) manipulation is not as uncommon as I would like to believe.

Would you care to expand on this statement?

- Lawrence Krauss

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote:Limiting the

Mjolnin wrote:

Limiting the facts about boiling Lead made it easy to run off topic and still tell the truth. This time on purpose and to prove a point

MichaelMcF wrote:

well, you weren't limiting facts on lead - you were trying to expand them - and I don't see what point you were trying to make.

No I didn't limit the facts, Hamby did by using an implied concept. Concept is an idea or perception.  This is the exact fault I was trying to make a point about. Hamby statement wasn't incorrect, he just gave me a path to fill in the blanks in order to show his statement incorrect.

Mjolnin wrote:

It is not a practice used just by Bible believers and is done in the science fields. Data (fact) manipulation is not as uncommon as I would like to believe.

MichaelMcF wrote:

Would you care to expand on this statement?

Do you believe that a person of science doesn't hold the ability to manipulate or lie?

one article about limiting

Science in conflict

by Eugene Russo
 Scientists and industry watchdogs gathered in Washington, D.C. last week to explore egregious cases of industry-led manipulation and distortion of scientific research—and to suggest remedies. The 1-day symposium, held by the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), is part of a CSPI project called Integrity in Science.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:Mjolnin

thatonedude wrote:

Mjolnin wrote:

How is this different from any statement of fact in any context whatsoever? Ignorance of geometry does not make the Pythagorean Theorem open to interpretation, for example. A fact either corresponds to reality(and thus is true) or it does not(and thus is false).

Does 1+1=2

or does 1+1=1

both statements can be proven as fact without initial limiting parameters

Pathagorean theory has limiting factors

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote:No I didn't

Mjolnin wrote:

No I didn't limit the facts, Hamby did by using an implied concept. Concept is an idea or perception.  This is the exact fault I was trying to make a point about. Hamby statement wasn't incorrect, he just gave me a path to fill in the blanks in order to show his statement incorrect.

(from earlier) To make your statement true that specific point and parameters has to be added to your statement.

Except your statement didn't show he was incorrect. 

Hamby's statement about the boiling point of lead came with the accepted implication - nay, conversational convention - of being under "normal" conditions.  This status is always assumed in conversation unless otherwise stated.  There's no need to say "lead boils at 2022K under standard atmospheric pressure" unless you're writing in a scientific paper.  Evoking special circumstances is just an act of pedantry that shows this value can be changed but it doesn't stop it being true.  Lead boils at 2022K - fact.  It can also boil at 3000K at higher atmospheric pressures but that doesn't mean the phrase "lead boils at 2022K" is untrue. 

The particular brand of nit-picking you're using would have shown Hamby's statement to be incorrect if he said "lead always boils at 2022K" or if he was making a bold new scientific claim, but he didn't and he wasn't so you didn't show anything.

Furthermore, I let this slide but feel I have to address it now, what the hell is the "Boiling Index" bollocks that you started alluding to earlier on?  If you're going to join in a conversation on science and least make sure you know what you're talking about.  There's no such thing as a 'boiling index'.  It's a completely meaningless term.

Mjolnin wrote:

Do you believe that a person of science doesn't hold the ability to manipulate or lie?

one article about limiting

Science in conflict

by Eugene Russo
 Scientists and industry watchdogs gathered in Washington, D.C. last week to explore egregious cases of industry-led manipulation and distortion of scientific research—and to suggest remedies. The 1-day symposium, held by the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), is part of a CSPI project called Integrity in Science.
 Of course scientists can lie.  I never suggested otherwise.  The reason I asked for clarification of your original statement was because the  suggestion that limiting facts is a practice carried out by scientists, when made in such a vauge way, skates close to looking like "Big Science Conspiracy" talk.  I asked for clarification on your statement to get a better idea of what you meant specifically.  

- Lawrence Krauss

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote:Does 1+1=2or

Mjolnin wrote:

Does 1+1=2

or does 1+1=1

You can only get 1+1=1 if you ignore the empirical data that the math function is based on or deliberately redefine the symbols. The same goes for the Pythagorean theorem.

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh... and on the OP.  I

Oh... and on the OP.  I think the phrase "entitled to your own set of facts" is meaningless.  To steal the phrase from the YEC crowd; everyone has the same facts to deal with.  Anything that's claimed as a fact must be provable and preferably independently verified.  No special pleading allowed.

- Lawrence Krauss

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote:Except your

MichaelMcF wrote:

Except your statement didn't show he was incorrect. 

Hamby's statement about the boiling point of lead came with the accepted implication - nay, conversational convention - of being under "normal" conditions.  This status is always assumed in conversation unless otherwise stated.  There's no need to say "lead boils at 2022K under standard atmospheric pressure" unless you're writing in a scientific paper.  Evoking special circumstances is just an act of pedantry that shows this value can be changed but it doesn't stop it being true.  Lead boils at 2022K - fact.  It can also boil at 3000K at higher atmospheric pressures but that doesn't mean the phrase "lead boils at 2022K" is untrue. 

The particular brand of nit-picking you're using would have shown Hamby's statement to be incorrect if he said "lead always boils at 2022K" or if he was making a bold new scientific claim, but he didn't and he wasn't so you didn't show anything.

Do you not realize that we are in agreement??? I guess I didn't convey my message clear enough.

MichaelMcF wrote:

Furthermore, I let this slide but feel I have to address it now, what the hell is the "Boiling Index" bollocks that you started alluding to earlier on?  If you're going to join in a conversation on science and least make sure you know what you're talking about.  There's no such thing as a 'boiling index'.  It's a completely meaningless term.

I sit corrected, You are right. The word Index is used to show the variance at which a change in state can occur. The term can be found in freezing,melting and plasm but not in boiling. Hmmm, wonder why that is??  Thanks, I have never realized. I have used the term in reporting reactions using varied boiling points and was never knew. Thanks again, and I really mean that.

But that only proves my poor use of the English language and the point at which I (we) have been trying to make. nit-picking doesn't prove an initial statement incorrect

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude wrote:Mjolnin

thatonedude wrote:

Mjolnin wrote:

Does 1+1=2

or does 1+1=1

You can only get 1+1=1 if you ignore the empirical data that the math function is based on or deliberately redefine the symbols. The same goes for the Pythagorean theorem.

If I prove you wrong will you drop down on your knees and admit that Jesus is you personall savior? Just kidding, that phrase has always irritated me.

This is a grade school question. You are trying to think too deep.

If you add (+) 1 pile of dirt to another pile of dirt you have(=) just 1 pile of dirt.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:This is a grade school

Quote:

If you add (+) 1 pile of dirt to another pile of dirt you have(=) just 1 pile of dirt.

It's also a word puzzle, not a math theorem.  It's a riddle, and the answer is clever precisely because it uses words to contradict a well known mathematical principle.  In math, 1+1=2.  When you use a principle of math improperly, as in this riddle, you get a surprising answer.

Books about atheism

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote:If I prove you

Mjolnin wrote:

If I prove you wrong will you drop down on your knees and admit that Jesus is you personall savior? Just kidding, that phrase has always irritated me.

If he wished to be my savior, I would assume that he'd at least have the courtesy to show up and state his case.

Quote:

You are redefining terminology. In your example, a "pile of dirt" is not a distinct quantity. The number "1" is a distrinct quantity. Again, a vague or imcomplete term does not change the facts. In your example, X grams of dirt were added to Y grams of dirt, resulting in a combined pile of (X+Y) grams of dirt. There is no interpretation here. The stated facts either correspond to reality or they do not.

Mjolnin
Theist
User is offlineOffline
thatonedude

thatonedude wrote:

terminology. In your example, a "pile of dirt" is not a distinct quantity. The number "1" is a distrinct quantity. Again, a vague or imcomplete term does not change the facts. In your example, X grams of dirt were added to Y grams of dirt, resulting in a combined pile of (X+Y) grams of dirt. There is no interpretation here. The stated facts either correspond to reality or they do not.

Oh my GOD, and the light goes on. not really

The reality you are stating is yours, and placed there by your interprtaion of the equations.

Your terminology was in the original statement .

Lets pick something from science if you want to keep playing.

In a perfectly balanced equation : (1X)moles + (1Y) moles = (1Z) mole

thatonedude
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote:Oh my GOD, and

Mjolnin wrote:

Oh my GOD, and the light goes on. not really

Apparently not. I can't even say that I understand your point anymore.

Quote:

The reality you are stating is yours, and placed there by your interprtaion of the equations.

Reality is not individual. Your sentence doesn't even make sense.

Quote:

Your terminology was in the original statement .

Indeed. Every description of fact will use agreed upon terminology. Otherwise we could not communicate.

Quote:

Lets pick something from science if you want to keep playing.

In a perfectly balanced equation : (1X)moles + (1Y) moles = (1Z) mole

I'm not sure what you are getting at. In this case, you are shifting the terminology into moles. There is still a relationship between the terms X, Y and Z(namely, that Z - Y = X) that is independent of your interpretation.

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Mjolnin wrote:Do you not

Mjolnin wrote:

Do you not realize that we are in agreement??? I guess I didn't convey my message clear enough.

No you didn't.  You were suggesting that Hamby's statement wasn't true, I was saying that it is.  How are we in agreement?

Mjolnin wrote:

I sit corrected, You are right. The word Index is used to show the variance at which a change in state can occur. The term can be found in freezing,melting and plasm but not in boiling. Hmmm, wonder why that is??  Thanks, I have never realized. I have used the term in reporting reactions using varied boiling points and was never knew. Thanks again, and I really mean that.

But that only proves my poor use of the English language and the point at which I (we) have been trying to make. nit-picking doesn't prove an initial statement incorrect

My apologies.  I never realised that english wasn't your first language.  I've gottens so used to arguing science on the internet that I've fallen into the (generally true) trap of thinking everyone that argues against is also an idiot.

If english is not your first language then I forgive the boiling index mistake.

- Lawrence Krauss