Has the News Become More Rational?

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Has the News Become More Rational?

It seems to me that in just the few months since Barack Obama took office, the mainstream media has become much more rational (Fox News excepted, of course). In the years George W. Bush was in office, hardly a week went by when I didn't notice three or four instances of religious idiocy being given generally positive coverage on the front pages of web sites like CNN, ABC, etc. Now, I'm hard pressed to find something similar once a month.

Anyone else noticed this?

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I stopped watching the

I stopped watching the news about two weeks after the Shrub took office.  Maybe I'll have a look over the next week or two and see if I notice anything.

Now for the big question:  IF there is a difference in the News, where'd it come from?  Did the News channels decide of their own volition to follow the measured sensibility of the President, or did they get a memo...

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

geirj
geirj's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Now for

Hambydammit wrote:

Now for the big question:  IF there is a difference in the News, where'd it come from?  Did the News channels decide of their own volition to follow the measured sensibility of the President, or did they get a memo...

I think it's a combination of variables. First, the mere election of Obama and his first 2-3 months in office were massive news in and of themselves. At the same time, the economy was heading even farther down the shitter. So I think the size of the news in the past few months has crowded out some of the fluff that used to pass for news. But I also think the lack of pervasiveness of religion in the White House is also a factor.

Nobody I know was brainwashed into being an atheist.

Why Believe?

peterweal
peterweal's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nope! In the Boston

Nope!

In the Boston Globe:

Man claims his back pain is gone because he prayed to a Cardinal who died in 1890.

Story: www.boston.com/news/local/massachusetts/articles/2009/04/29/marshfield_mans_prayer_an_answer_in_sainthood_query/