Chop off your hands

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
Chop off your hands

If the christian fundies take the bible literally shouldn't they chop off their hands and poke out their eyes if it causes them to sin? 

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

Mao4EverBadi
User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears wrote:If

marshalltenbears wrote:

If the christian fundies take the bible literally shouldn't they chop off their hands and poke out their eyes if it causes them to sin? 

If fundies took the Bible literally they'd never even live long enough to get that far into reading the Bible, but if they did then it would surely be contradicted by other sections of the Bible and probably no one's cutting off their hands or eyes anytime soon without the aid of severe (like you can see it on x-ray) mental illness or someone with lots of money would have to find innovative ways to purchase that kind of behavior at this point in history.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Christians would reply that

Christians would reply that Jesus was using a hyperbole/analogy and doesn't actually recommend cutting off your hand.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

marshalltenbears
marshalltenbears's picture
User is offlineOffline
 then I would ask who

then I would ask who decides what is to be taken literally and what is not. Should I take the flood literally, or the story of Johna and the great fish? 

"Take all the heads of the people
and hang them up before the Lord
against the sun.” -- Numbers 25:4

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

Christians would reply that Jesus was using a hyperbole/analogy and doesn't actually recommend cutting off your hand.

Why would it take a Christian to respond like this? It's pretty stupid to say it wasn't a hyperbolic expression, regardless if your a Christian or not.  I'm not a Buddhist but I can understand that when the Buddha also suggested plucking out one's eye, and when Bodhidharma proclaimed that Huike was worthy of the Dharma since he cut off his arm, that these are not literal suggestions of cutting one's arm off, but hyperbolic means of expressing a point.

It only takes some sort of basic reading comprehension with a sense of inferential capacity to understand this, but i guess illiterate morons, will continue being illiterate morons. 

User is offlineOffline
marshalltenbears

*BANG*

Dumb noise knocked the fuck out

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Why

manofmanynames wrote:

Why would it take a Christian to respond like this? It's pretty stupid to say it wasn't a hyperbolic expression, regardless if your a Christian or not.

It's easy to figure out what is real and what isn't with regard to most non-fiction, but when there are Christians who claim that the Bible is being serious when it mentions talking snakes with legs, a man living inside the stomach of a whale for three days, virgin births, etc., I'm simply simply at a loss as to how they decide what should be taken literally, and what is metaphorical.

manyofmanynames wrote:
Easy.

Here's what Einstein had to say about Gandhi: "Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this walked the earth in flesh and blood." 

Was Einstein saying that Gandhi didn't exist? Was he a Gandhi mythicist? How do I know if he was being literal here or not? When you figure out this answer, you figured out the answer to your question as well.

I have no idea what you're trying to say. Gandhi was real. Therefore, Jesus was real?

Was Einstein saying that Gandhi didn't exist? No.

Was he a Gandhi mythicist? No.

How can you tell if he was being literal? Well, first of all, he didn't make any seemingly insane or impossible claims. Second, if he's not being literal, then I have no idea what he's trying to say either.  

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:It's easy

*ZAP*

Whiny bitching toasted.

Ken G.
User is offlineOffline
manofmanyfaces wrote;A.Einstein didn't mean it literally.

Yes ,he did mean it literally,cause what he actually said was "in this day and age ' meaning that in the 20th century,its hard to believe that a simple man wearing a plain cotton cloth and sandals (without a diplomatic suit or a military uniform) could use such simple principals (Civil Disobedience) to accomplish so much change. 

Signature ? How ?

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:

manofmanynames wrote:

marshalltenbears wrote:
then I would ask who decides what is to be taken literally and what is not. Should I take the flood literally, or the story of Johna and the great fish?

Easy.

Here's what Einstein had to say about Gandhi: "Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this walked the earth in flesh and blood."

Was Einstein saying that Gandhi didn't exist? Was he a Gandhi mythicist? How do I know if he was being literal here or not? When you figure out this answer, you figured out the answer to your question as well.

My what a totally disingenuous set of questions. Just in case you do not know, disingenuous is how truly literate people say “intentionally stupid”.

Einstein could scarcely read his newspaper with breakfast without seeing the proof that Ghandi was a real man. In any case, Ghandi is an astoundingly poor example because nobody is requiring anyone to believe that he healed lepers or raised anyone from the dead.

A better example would be if, in a few hundred years, there happen to be people who really believe that Don Giovanni really invited the grave statue of one of his murder victims to a party only to have the statue actually show up at the party and drag him off to hell.

If you really want to get to the heart of whether there was an historical man named Jesus who spoke metaphorically, one could ask just how common it is to see people walking around with lumber hanging out of their eye sockets.

That, in itself would not establish the historicity of Jesus but it does tend to show how the words attributed to the man, even if he did not exist, simply cannot be taken to mean what they do on the surface. To my knowledge, there is not reliable evidence that there was such a man, although from what I gather, it was a fairly common name back then. Possibly about as common as it is today among immigrant landscapers.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

*SPLAT*

Verbal vomit go squish

KSMB
Scientist
KSMB's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

butterbattle wrote:

Why would it take a Christian to respond like this? It's pretty stupid to say it wasn't a hyperbolic expression, regardless if your a Christian or not. I'm not a Buddhist but I can understand that when the Buddha also suggested plucking out one's eye, and when Bodhidharma proclaimed that Huike was worthy of the Dharma since he cut off his arm, that these are not literal suggestions of cutting one's arm off, but hyperbolic means of expressing a point.It only takes some sort of basic reading comprehension with a sense of inferential capacity to understand this, but i guess illiterate morons, will continue being illiterate morons.

Of couse it is hyperbole. But when Jesus talks about "weeping and gnashing of teeth", that is real! It is all so obvious to the religiously "enlightened". You know, the ones with basic reading comprehension...

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
manyofmanynames wrote:A more

manyofmanynames wrote:
A more developed interpretive framework involves knowledge of the text, the history behind them, the conditions surrounding their composition, an understanding of the mentality of that period, a 12th grade reading level, etc.... It's the ability to interpret the meaning of the text, like we do in interpreting the meaning of a novel, or a philosophy.

Yes, but ultimately, isn't there always room for disagreement and alternative interpretations? One Christian thinks Adam and Eve were real person. Another Christian doesn't. One Christian thinks God actually flooded the Earth. Another one thinks it was a 'local' flood. One Christian thinks Jesus actually rose from the dead. Another Christian thinks it was "symbolic." 

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

marshalltenbears wrote:

There were (reportedly) some "saints" of the not-to-be-imitated variety who took that seriously and also the idea that sins of the flesh were the greatest. They castrated themselves. No great loss I am sure but it is difficult to preach against sex and advise amputation at the same time if one wishes to keep followers.

OTOH this is another example of Jesus being just a mascot for Christianity. If this man existed then he taught what he taught and next to none of it is a requirement for being a Christian. Christianity requires believing and doing things he never taught without requirements for doing and avoiding what he did teach.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
Am I the only one wondering

Am I the only one wondering why manofmanynames seems to turn into comic book Batman between posts, or are we just ignoring that?

*OMNOMNOMNOM*
The sound of me eating breakfast.

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
This is the "No Theists

This is the "No Theists Allowed" part of the forums.  He knows the rules and he chooses to ignore them so lots of his posts have been destroyed by the mods oer the rule.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=