How do you know your an atheist?

Crowley Factor
User is offlineOffline
How do you know your an atheist?

First of all, I'd like to state that I have no idea what I believe in, as far as how we came to be on Earth. I am skeptical on the idea of a creator but it's hard for me to rule it out as an overall possibility.  With that said, what I'm sure of is that the Christian, Muslim and Jewish religions are false and a means of controlling the masses. So is this belief Atheism? If not is there a label for this type of belief?

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you have an reason to

Do you have an reason to believe the world requires a creator? Any reason to believe there is a creator other than religious teachings?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Welcome to the forum.Crowley

Welcome to the forum.

Crowley Factor wrote:
With that said, what I'm sure of is that the Christian, Muslim and Jewish religions are false and a means of controlling the masses. So is this belief Atheism? If not is there a label for this type of belief?

Atheism means you don't believe in God.

There is no label for the specific belief that you outlined, although half of it is included in atheism.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

Well, if you are not currently believing in a god but holding the possibility open should evidence come up, then you are an atheist.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:Well, if you

ClockCat wrote:

Well, if you are not currently believing in a god but holding the possibility open should evidence come up, then you are an atheist.

Well, if you are not currently believing in a god but NOT holding the possibility open should evidence come up, then you are an atheist.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

treat2 wrote:
ClockCat wrote:

Well, if you are not currently believing in a god but NOT holding the possibility open should evidence come up, then you are an atheist.

That too. He said he hard a hard time ruling out the idea entirely though. :3

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I was gonna say if you stick

I was gonna say if you stick out your tongue and it's hairy, then you know....

Stosis
User is offlineOffline
Obviously anyone who thinks

Obviously anyone who thinks scientifically and rationally about the world must hold the position that they could be wrong ON ANYTHING. This includes even scientific facts. That being said it is a lot more likely for some things we know to be false to be true than others. For this reason many people call themselves agnostic athesists. This means that you don't know if a god exists but you choose to believe one doesn't based on the lack of evidence (or any other reason you might have).

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Due to lack of evidence, I

Due to lack of evidence, I choose to believe agnostic athesists do not exist.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Due to lack of

treat2 wrote:
Due to lack of evidence, I choose to believe agnostic athesists do not exist.

Funny, I feel the same way about gnostics on both sides of the aisle.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
Is this a trick question?

Is this a trick question?

ZuS
atheist
ZuS's picture
User is offlineOffline
You know you're an atheist

You know you're an atheist if the skid marks in your underpants don't look like Jesus.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Only introspection and

Only introspection and education can properly answer this question. Otherwise the result is tainted.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
User is offlineOffline

Crowley Factor wrote:
First of all, I'd like to state that I have no idea what I believe in, as far as how we came to be on Earth. I am skeptical on the idea of a creator but it's hard for me to rule it out as an overall possibility.

The issue of a creator is not something that needs be ruled out any more than does the Flying Spaghetti Monster. There is no legitimate reason to even consider the possibility without prior physical evidence.

As to how the idea of a creator got started, we have to posit some person or persons long ago and far away who demonstrably had nothing right about the universe or the world or any but the tiniest part of it managed to get this one thing right. That is not a credible assumption.

Crowley Factor wrote:
With that said, what I'm sure of is that the Christian, Muslim and Jewish religions are false and a means of controlling the masses. So is this belief Atheism? If not is there a label for this type of belief?

Religion and theism are separate things. If someone claims there is a creator it makes no difference to anyone. If that person goes beyond that into saying the god demands certain things it is still of no interest. When it goes to "everyone will do those things or else" we have a problem.

Yesterday I posted [FYI] a link to emperor Julian's treatise on the Galileans aka Christians which assumes there are gods and compares his with the Christian god with heavy emphasis on the easy target of the Old Testament. If, as in Rome, advocates of particular religions were to keep their academic and amiable there is no problem with them. If, as in Rome, individuals could flit from religion to religion as freely as American Protestants change denominations without recriminations then still no problem.

Problems arise when religionists extend their ideas by force into the private lives of others or deliberate disrupt the civil order because of their religion.

So what are you? You are you. You like choosing a label for yourself? I suggest there are more rewarding things to do in life than worry about such things. You am what what you am with or without a label and are no changed by choosing a label.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml