Ontario may run dry

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Ontario may run dry

The LCBO [Liqour Control Board of Ontario] is close to a strike

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2009/06/23/lcbo-strike.html

The LCBO is a Crown coporation [read:  monopoly where competition is outlawed]

But to be fair, I think the Beer store [which is also a Crown coporation] is still going to be open, or they might just go on strike too, and I think it's legal to sell wine in grocery stores.

Oh and I'm pretty sure that the LCBO also provides the booze for resturants and bars as well, so guess what that means?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:so guess

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

so guess what that means?

it means that the street riots in Iran will pale in comparison to Canadians without booze?

What Would Kharn Do?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
The Doomed Soul

The Doomed Soul wrote:

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

so guess what that means?

it means that the street riots in Iran will pale in comparison to Canadians without booze?

naw we will just stock up....now if it lasts long enough that we start to run dry...then yeah maybe a few riots.....wait there is always the bars, and they do not purchase their alcohol from the LCBO stores...therefore no riot.

Jeffrick
High Level DonorRational VIP!SuperfanGold Member
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Wow!

I can live without beer, but not the good stuff.  Hay Latincanuck lets say we rent a wharehouse on Courtney Park Blvd. and really   stock up. I know one with a Tim Hortons next door.

"Very funny Scotty; now beam down our clothes."

VEGETARIAN: Ancient Hindu word for "lousy hunter"

If man was formed from dirt, why is there still dirt?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:But to

Cpt_pineapple wrote:
But to be fair, I think the Beer store [which is also a Crown coporation] is still going to be open
They'll be open.  Different corporation and union.

Quote:
and I think it's legal to sell wine in grocery stores.
No.  And yes.  Some stores, and only certain vinyards.  And otherwise only at other licensed stores that can only sell Ontario wines.

Quote:
Oh and I'm pretty sure that the LCBO also provides the booze for resturants and bars as well, so guess what that means?
They do.  But not form their stores.  From the warehouses.  It won't be a problem.

For what it's worth, I've stocked up.  Notice that Vodka is out at the 5 nearest stores to my place.  I imagine it's the same everywhere else in downtown Toronto.

Incidentally, this comes at a terrible time.  25,000 of Toronto's indoor and outdoor workers went on strike yesterday.  It could last as long as two weeks or so.  Garbage is already piling up.  Worse is that the newly implemented organic waste collection has been halted.  I fear China Town and China Town East.  Not to mention any other small, busy neighbourh ... well, that's the rest of every downtown neighbourhood there.  Stinky.  And now no one will have boos for Pride weekend!  It's ruining the biggest annual festival this country hosts (also the biggest in Toronto and the third biggest Pride in the world)!  Damned unions!

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Oops, the Beer store is a

Oops, the Beer store is a private corporation, not Crown.

So it's just the LCBO store workers that are going on strike, not the distrubitors?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick

Jeffrick wrote:

I can live without beer, but not the good stuff.  Hay Latincanuck lets say we rent a wharehouse on Courtney Park Blvd. and really   stock up. I know one with a Tim Hortons next door.

Wicked, that's also right by Kennedy's Strip club Sticking out tongue I use to have a warehouse in that area, and my distributor is 2 buildings from that timmies.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Invest!!!!!

latincanuck wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Wicked, that's also right by Kennedy's Strip club Sticking out tongue I use to have a warehouse in that area, and my distributor is 2 buildings from that timmies.

Great!  Maybe we can change the "a" in wharehouse to an "o" and realy go into buisness.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Oops,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Oops, the Beer store is a private corporation, not Crown.

So it's just the LCBO store workers that are going on strike, not the distrubitors?

Yup.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:latincanuck

Jeffrick wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

Jeffrick wrote:

Great!  Maybe we can change the "a" in wharehouse to an "o" and realy go into buisness.

OOh and with pride weekend coming up we can really clean up Laughing out loud

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
If Canda goes dry, will I

If Canda goes dry, will I still be able to get Canada Dry in the states? Bottom line for me, don't care much for any Canadian liquor anyways.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:If Canda goes dry,

EXC wrote:

If Canda goes dry, will I still be able to get Canada Dry in the states? Bottom line for me, don't care much for any Canadian liquor anyways.

I don't get it.  It's Ontario, not Canada ...and most of the liquor here is imported.

BigUniverse wrote,

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Lol. They sold more booze in

Lol. They sold more booze in 3 days than they usually do in 3 months.

Enlightened Atheist, Gaming God.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:EXC wrote:If

Thomathy wrote:

EXC wrote:

I don't get it.  It's Ontario, not Canada ...and most of the liquor here is imported.

Canada Dry is a brand of soda.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:

Thomathy wrote:

EXC wrote:

Canada Dry is a brand of soda.

... Yes.  I had simply ignored that quip.  wait ,you were making a joke, weren't you?

BigUniverse wrote,

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Canada Dry!

I once asked why are there so meny Irish in eastern Canada?    That was simple;    In Dublin there is a humungus road sign that states. "Drink Canada Dry!"     any Irishman that sees it jumps on the next boat.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Incidentally,

Thomathy wrote:
Incidentally, this comes at a terrible time.  25,000 of Toronto's indoor and outdoor workers went on strike yesterday.  It could last as long as two weeks or so.

Two weeks, eh? That sounds terrible.

Bah-hahahaha! I'll be in Guelph for the duration, thanks very much. Toronto smells really bad right now.

What's hilarious about that is that the city is saving tons of money every day the strike is on. Imagine it: they don't have to pay 25,000 people for work many of them do exclusively in the summer. At ~$20 an hour, 8 hours, 35 days, that's a savings of $140,000,000!

(Yes, I know it's not that simple, but $140,000,000!!)

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
The union representing the

The union representing the majority of the workers stuck a deal hinging on the success of a deal with the other local.  Thankfully, this means the strike is over (tentatively) over.  Services will resume next week if all goes well.  One month.  Not as bad as, what, 110 days of strike in Windsor?

Toronto doesn't smell that bad.  My garbage is private as are many condos, so I've really not noticed it.  Just that the streets aren't as spotless as they normally are.  Even China Town could be worse.  I shop there every weekend and it's just dirtier than normal.  I suppose the cooler weather and rain have helped.

BigUniverse wrote,

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I live in Etobicoke now and

I live in Etobicoke now and it's private collections for it's residents (which has saved this area over 2 million a year compared to it's previous government union run ways). The only thing of course that wasn't picked up was yard waste and the public garbages.....however I have friends that live in the lakeshore and gardner area and if it wasn't for the rain it would have had a worse smell in that area.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
When did yeah move?

I use to live down near Marie Curtis Pk. at James and 40th. on hot summer days the smell was worse then the current garbage strike,  no one said lake Ontario was clean.  It was so long ago I use to walk down the street to the psycho place and watch them film the "Police Acadamy"movies.      Why would you move to Toronto during a garbage strike?   Have you ever tried to explain to outsiders HOW to pronounce Etobicoke?   Non- GTA people will never guess at  it;  do you want to tell them or should I?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I live in the Kipling and

I live in the Kipling and burnhamthorp area, away from the lake so it smells fine here, the garbage strike didn't affect us really that much since no parks were need to be open in etobicoke for garbage collection. I moved here back in Feburary however not during the strike, but then again I wouldn't move to downtown toronto anyways. Oh and you can teach them how to pronounce it, oh and teach them mississauga as well Sticking out tongue

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Damn double post.

Damn double post.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Pay attention class!!!

latincanuck wrote:

I live in the Kipling and burnhamthorp area, away from the lake so it smells fine here, the garbage strike didn't affect us really that much since no parks were need to be open in etobicoke for garbage collection. I moved here back in Feburary however not during the strike, but then again I wouldn't move to downtown toronto anyways. Oh and you can teach them how to pronounce it, oh and teach them mississauga as well Sticking out tongue

It IS   Pronounced     EE toe  bee  Coe.   (I don't know why)  And Mississauga  is married to Mr.Auga.  there will be a test later this week.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Been there

latincanuck wrote:

My dentist is near there;  denistry on Dundas,  next  door to Tesse McDaid's .  Your just above six points.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah close

Although I haven't hit any of the pubs/bars on dundas, I have only gone to the Badger and Firkin on Burnhamthorpe just west of the 427. Normally I hit some places downtown with friends, Loons on Roncesvalles rd, or Whelan's Gate on Bloor/dundas area. Other than that we go to the Bier Market or Fin McCool's.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:latincanuck

Jeffrick wrote:

latincanuck wrote:

It IS   Pronounced     EE toe  bee  Coe.   (I don't know why)  And Mississauga  is married to Mr.Auga.  there will be a test later this week.

I have different experiences with the pronunciation of those words.  E'Toby-Co (the 'e' as in 'enter' and 'etcetera').  Mississauga is married to Mr. Auga, but she's a Miss, not a Misses.  (It seems the 'i' is often dropped or slurred and the 's's are slurred together.)  Otherwise, 'Sauga, the Sawg.

BigUniverse wrote,

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Americans

I just love hearing americans try to pronounce mississauga, it's funny, I let them try 2 or 3 times before I tell them. Oh I deal with american companies as well. That and St. Sault marie screws with them as well

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Odd. I've always heard

Odd. I've always heard Etobicoke pronounced as if there was an I at the beginning, not an E.
St. Sault Marie is like quantum physics. Completely counter intuitive. It should really be called Sault St. Marie.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Vastet wrote:Odd. I've

Vastet wrote:
Odd. I've always heard Etobicoke pronounced as if there was an I at the beginning, not an E. St. Sault Marie is like quantum physics. Completely counter intuitive. It should really be called Sault St. Marie.
Huh?  The place is Sault Ste. Marie.   En français il est prononcé à "Sault Sainte Marie" (avec le silence "l" et le coup de glotte en "Sainte".  In English it is pronounced 'Soo Saint Marie'.   Also, that's not an 'i' you're hearing at the beginning of Etobicoke, it's an [ɛ] as in bed,enter,etcetera.  It sounds like it would be represented by 'i', I guess, but in English we would never use 'i' to represent that phoneme.  For instance, "it" /ɪt/, you might think has the same sound as the initial vowel in Etobicoke, but it is different.  Think of words like, bid or bit.  The movement of the sound in the mouth is very slight, but /ɛ/ is more open and close to the front where /ɪ/ is more closed and a little bit further back from the front.

BigUniverse wrote,

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
GTA night

We ought to do a bar/food night can just figure out odd names for cities in Canada...I mean besides conception bay and Dildo or come by chance. That and figure out way to completely take over the world using quasi religions and ideologies.....I mean for a fun night yeah.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
???

latincanuck wrote:

We ought to do a bar/food night can just figure out odd names for cities in Canada...I mean besides conception bay and Dildo or come by chance. That and figure out way to completely take over the world using quasi religions and ideologies.....I mean for a fun night yeah.

Are you suggesting  to name  a bar and a night  so us GTA atheist can get together?   I'll give it a go.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yeah that's what I am

Yeah that's what I am suggesting, I live in the burnhamthorpe/kipling area so if we can get a few people out, might be a fun night after all, it seems a few of us live in the GTA, might as well have a fun night.

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
Meh. Guess someone fucked up

Meh. Guess someone fucked up the map I looked at for spelling, because that's how it was spelled. I've only driven past it once or twice, and many years ago.
And no, it's an I. As in it, is, if, etc. That is how everyone I've ever heard say it, says it. And I have lived in Toronto.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Yeah

latincanuck wrote:

Yeah that's what I am suggesting, I live in the burnhamthorpe/kipling area so if we can get a few people out, might be a fun night after all, it seems a few of us live in the GTA, might as well have a fun night.

Sounds lovely.  There's no way, however, that I'm taking transit all the way to Kipling.  I live in the Church-Wellesley Village.  How about a compromise.  Let's say, High Park, Roncesvalles, Parkdale or some other West Toronto neighbourhood?  Could be fun!  I vote for The Local or any pub in Roncesvalles.

BigUniverse wrote,

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:[Sounds

Thomathy wrote:

[Sounds lovely.  There's no way, however, that I'm taking transit all the way to Kipling.  I live in the Church-Wellesley Village.  How about a compromise.  Let's say, High Park, Roncesvalles, Parkdale or some other West Toronto neighbourhood?  Could be fun!  I vote for The Local or any pub in Roncesvalles.

Just tell me where and I am there, whatever works for anyone else who is in. As for the Local yeah been there a few times myself got a friend that lives on in the condos at Roncesvalles and Howard Park Ave so I know a few places in that area....plus it's only a 8 minute drive for me with the QEW....assuming there is no traffic.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm for it.

I'm driving a car  and I am not parking it in  western Parkdale, High Park is Khosher but a bit far.  427 and Bloor is about mid-way between  Hiswillness and Vastet,  just remember  Vastet spends a lot of time duck processe servers on those un-resolved paternity suits.

Thomathy  do you object to a quick run on the GO train,  to Long Branch or Port Credit?  I could pick you up and hit East or West Mall & Burnhamthorpe in 4 minutes   Any place with a Patio is Aok with me.

Latincanuck   do you have a problem with Scruffy's Irish Pub   at   10   &  Eglington  if we run late I can get a bed for Thomathy & Hiswillness in nearby houses, for Vastet I can arrange a secluded non-descript basement. No  fees they are relatives.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Scruffy's is just near my GF

Scruffy's is just near my GF place...literally could stumble from there to her place and still be there in 3 minutes flat Laughing out loud I am game anywhere dood, shit I went to Calgary for drinks once.....only once not doing that type of traveling for drinks. I have a truck and willing to travel.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Scruffy's

latincanuck wrote:

Scruffy's is just near my GF place...literally could stumble from there to her place and still be there in 3 minutes flat Laughing out loud I am game anywhere dood, shit I went to Calgary for drinks once.....only once not doing that type of traveling for drinks. I have a truck and willing to travel.

My  house is in the neighborhood  just behind  Toys R Us,  I walk to Scruffy's in five minutes or less,  that's east of 10 & south of Eglington,  name a day  and time  I'll be there.

Today??   and do you know Suzy or Michelle the bar maids?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Jeffrick wrote:Thomathy  do

Jeffrick wrote:
Thomathy  do you object to a quick run on the GO train,  to Long Branch or Port Credit?  I could pick you up and hit East or West Mall & Burnhamthorpe in 4 minutes   Any place with a Patio is Aok with me.
I have never heard of those places ...or wait ...nope.  Patios are good!

Quote:
Latincanuck   do you have a problem with Scruffy's Irish Pub   at   10   &  Eglington  if we run late I can get a bed for Thomathy & Hiswillness in nearby houses, for Vastet I can arrange a secluded non-descript basement. No  fees they are relatives.
Intersting proposition.  Why do you people have to live so damned far away?  What's wrong with downtown Toronto?  Honestly.

I'll do what I have to to make this happen.  Let's set this up.  But not today.  I have to schedule these events.

BigUniverse wrote,

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy! Yes!!

Check A GO train route schedual,   Port Credit is at   #10 near Lakshore.  Long Branch is the last lakeshore stop before leaving Etobicoke.  Actually the line that takes you through  Dixie & Dundas  and Cooksville would be more convinient. Scruffy's  is five minutes (by car) north of Cooksville ( I'll pick you up) ;  Cooksville station is about  20 minutes from Union station.  I'll be the big white guy in thebig brown Murano.

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Intersting

Thomathy wrote:

Intersting proposition.  Why do you people have to live so damned far away?  What's wrong with downtown Toronto?  Honestly.

I'll do what I have to to make this happen.  Let's set this up.  But not today.  I have to schedule these events.

Oh hell no not today, this weekend, or whenever convenient for everyone. I live in Etobicoke because I got a house 3 bedrooms and big backyard for $900. So yeah not moving downtown for that price, heck I can pick you up Thomathy I am pretty close, you can take the subway to islington which is right near you.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Helping my girlfriend move

Helping my girlfriend move this weekend, but any time thereafter. I'm often downtown, but I can show up pretty much anywhere. It's my one decent magical power.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Sounds

Thomathy wrote:
Sounds lovely.  There's no way, however, that I'm taking transit all the way to Kipling.  I live in the Church-Wellesley Village.  How about a compromise.  Let's say, High Park, Roncesvalles, Parkdale or some other West Toronto neighbourhood?  Could be fun!  I vote for The Local or any pub in Roncesvalles.

Thomathy lives in the Church-Wellesley Village. Colour me surprised.

I'm good with anything around Roncy, too. After next Monday, all the moving and unpacking insanity should be taken care of.

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Thomathy

HisWillness wrote:
Thomathy lives in the Church-Wellesley Village. Colour me surprised.
:P

Vastet
atheistBloggerSuperfan
Vastet's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'd love to come, there's

I'd love to come, there's just the small problem that I'm 2-3 hours away with no transport. 50k East of Kingston.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
Tel: #

Can we shoot for  Scruffy's  this Saturday  or Sunday at least  2 or 3 of us could get together and start exchangeing phone numbers.   I'm  not in town next  weekend (7th, 8th, 9th).

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
I am in, what time is good?

I am in, what time is good? I am free both days so it's all good with me, if thomathy wants a ride I can take him.

Jeffrick
Jeffrick's picture
User is offlineOffline
BUMP!

Jeffrick wrote:

Can we shoot for  Scruffy's  this Saturday  or Sunday at least  2 or 3 of us could get together and start exchangeing phone numbers.   I'm  not in town next  weekend (7th, 8th, 9th).

My plans have changed,  I  will be in town on 7th,  8th,   9th,  are we going to do this or not?

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'll be on vacation for a

I'll be on vacation for a while starting this weekend.  I'll let you guys know when I'm back so that we can plan something then.

BigUniverse wrote,