Who is to blame?

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Who is to blame?

If you could blame any single thing for most of the problems in he world, who would it be?

Proof for anything is not required here. This is just stating your own opinion.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
My first instinct is to say

My first instinct is to say Humanity...

but then i realize that is actually all the fault of the Dinosaurs...

God intended them to keep humanity in check! but the damn pussies got vaped by some dumb meteor... or something -_-

So, there, i blame Dinosaurs, because they arent around to kill Humans (and if your a creationist!!! "...any more" )

What Would Kharn Do?

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
The Flying Spaghetti Monster's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, IF you believe in God

Well, IF you believe in God then the answer would be God, since he created everything and is responsible for every problem.

If you don't believe in God then I would blame people. Mosquitos are an easy target since they kill about 2 million people a year, but people kill more than 2 million animals a year.  I cant think of anything natural or cosmological that necessarily causes the most problems...the Sun would be a huge target since it has to affect our climate in a way that causes problems on all sorts of levels, but it also gives life and aids in the survival of many creatures so I can't calculate that. I was thinking the Moon for pulling the tides, which erodes lands and potentially kills a lot of small marine creatures (or even microscopic ones) but that's inconclusive. You could look at carbon dioxide or other types of pollution because while it doesn't kill a person directly, it could be affecting all living creatures (including us) on SOME level, contributing to the death of everything.

God I'm so tired I'm rambling on about stupid shit. My final answer is people.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Human nature. Each and every

Human nature. Each and every conflict can be reduced to it.

nb4religion

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
The finite size of the

The finite size of the world which is in conflict with all living organisms desire to multiply.

It forces every organism to compete with all the other humans and species for the world's limited resources available to support life. I think all conflicts in the world ultimately boil down to this conflict.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:The finite size of

EXC wrote:

The finite size of the world which is in conflict with all living organisms desire to multiply.

It forces every organism to compete with all the other humans and species for the world's limited resources available to support life. I think all conflicts in the world ultimately boil down to this conflict.

That's a very good answer. I was trying to go with something grand like that but I'm falling asleep. Yah, I'm going to bed :3

Wonderist
atheist
Wonderist's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:The finite size of

EXC wrote:

Actually, as long as there is an upper speed limit (light), and a finite number of dimensions (3), then even an infinite world would still see crowding due to exponential growth. We would need either infinite speed or an infinite number of dimensions to escape it. Not to mention infinite energy supplies.

Wonderist on Facebook — Support the idea of wonderism by 'liking' the Wonderism page — or join the open Wonderism group to take part in the discussion!

Gnu Atheism Facebook group — All gnu-friendly RRS members welcome (including Luminon!) — Try something gnu!

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:If you could blame

Quote:
If you could blame any single thing for most of the problems in he world, who would it be?

No question whatsoever.  Faith.

I am absolutely convinced that this is the worst thing man has ever invented.  Belief in something despite no evidence or evidence to the contrary has done far, far more harm than anything else.  Let's just look at the last U.S. president, for crying out loud.  This isn't about religion.  It's about a guy who stands up in front of the world and says, "Iraq=911=WMDs."  There was no evidence for it, and lots of credible evidence against it, and yet, we believed it.

I know it's politics, and people lie about politics all the time, but politicians would be forced into a lot more truthfulness if 9 out of 10 people were good critical thinkers with a strong understanding of the burden of proof.  

Or... how about abstinence only education?  Completely faith based.  Not only does it not have any (NOT A SINGLE SMIDGE) of evidence in favor of it, there's tons of evidence against it, and how much money did we waste on it?  

Or... how about global warming?

Or... overfishing

Or... holistic healing

The list goes on and on and on and on, and lots of it doesn't have anything to do with religion.  Religion is the giant boil in the center of our foreheads, but faith is the underlying disease that afflicts most of humanity.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Pineapple

Pineapple wrote:
nb4religion

Curious... has anyone said religion yet?  It's almost as if... 

Nah...

Not gonna go there.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Quote:If

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

I am absolutely convinced that this is the worst thing man has ever invented.  Belief in something despite no evidence or evidence to the contrary has done far, far more harm than anything else.  Let's just look at the last U.S. president, for crying out loud.  This isn't about religion.  It's about a guy who stands up in front of the world and says, "Iraq=911=WMDs."  There was no evidence for it, and lots of credible evidence against it, and yet, we believed it.

I know it's politics, and people lie about politics all the time, but politicians would be forced into a lot more truthfulness if 9 out of 10 people were good critical thinkers with a strong understanding of the burden of proof.  

Or... how about abstinence only education?  Completely faith based.  Not only does it not have any (NOT A SINGLE SMIDGE) of evidence in favor of it, there's tons of evidence against it, and how much money did we waste on it?  

Or... overfishing

Or... holistic healing

The list goes on and on and on and on, and lots of it doesn't have anything to do with religion.  Religion is the giant boil in the center of our foreheads, but faith is the underlying disease that afflicts most of humanity.

I was going to say my poetry, but once again Hambi, you one up me.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:If you could

ClockCat wrote:

Proof for anything is not required here. This is just stating your own opinion.

That's easy. Glamour, or in other words, emotional illusion. It prevents us from seeing the world, as it really is. The belief that one man can lie in a tomb for three days and therefore erase everyone's sins is a glamour. Thinking that we are worse or better than someone else is a glamour. There are thousands of glamours, but the greatest and most destructive of them all is fear.

The humanity is intensely submerged in glamour, and only a few hundreds of thousands begins to free themselves from it. The glamour can be overcame by confronting it one by one, and through getting in control of one's emotionality. And it is a very diffcult and unlpleasant process.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Curious...

Hambydammit wrote:

Curious... has anyone said religion yet?  It's almost as if... 

Nah...

Not gonna go there.

Hamby, you do realize I can't help but take your comments like this with a grain of salt considering that I've heard an atheist deny the existence of sociopathy because apperently it's just a scapegoat to not blame religion.

Brian37 wrote:

I was going to say my poetry, but once again Hambi, you one up me.

Your poetry is a close third. After evolution and atheism.

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat, are you going to

ClockCat, are you going to tell us the correct answer?

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Quote:If

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Or... overfishing

Or... holistic healing

Faith is bad but I think fear is far worse. Even in your example of the War in Iraq. The President used scare tactics to gain support and make the war seem unavoidable. This country has been slowly giving away its freedom to feel safer. How many cookie cutter christians are there who believe in God simply because they don't want to go to hell? You can even link anger to originating from fear.

I don't disagree with anything you said, though ;o

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:Hamby,

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

Hamby, you do realize I can't help but take your comments like this with a grain of salt considering that I've heard an atheist deny the existence of sociopathy because apperently it's just a scapegoat to not blame religion.

... and im sure that, somebody, somewhere, forwarded me as proof... >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Faith is bad but I

Quote:
Faith is bad but I think fear is far worse.

The thing is, fear has many positive functions.  It's quite the evolutionary boon, actually.  Like so many things, it's a double edged sword.  

I can't find one good thing about faith.

Books about atheism

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Hamby, you do

Quote:

Well, it's not my fault you take the mad ramblings of unnamed atheists as gospel.  Notice that I've been on your side more often than not when somebody wants to tar and feather theists as all bad or sociopaths or whatnot.  I'm pretty sure I've always laid the blame squarely on faith, and I've always been clear that I'm just as equally opposed to non-theist woo-woo.  Like I said, religion is just a big boil on the butt.  Or... forehead, or whatever.  It gets the most flack because there are a lot more theists than pyramid power nuts.

Books about atheism

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Overpopulation, hands down.

Overpopulation, hands down. If it weren't for that, even people going batshit insane over non-existent deities could do so in their own little corner of the world while the rest of us move onward and upward. In that sense, I suppose - when you really boil it all down - Dr. Dawkins got it right:

It's our own damn genes (and their want to propagate) that are the enemy.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

The Doomed Soul
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Overpopulation, hands down. If it weren't for that, even people going batshit insane over non-existent deities could do so in their own little corner of the world while the rest of us move onward and upward. In that sense, I suppose - when you really boil it all down - Dr. Dawkins got it right:

WHICH IS WHERE THE DINOSAURS COME IN!

See? i told you, God meant for Dinosaurs to keep the human population in check!

What Would Kharn Do?

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, sure. We can blame

Well, sure. We can blame the dinosaurs while we're at it (well, the ones with sharp teeth, anyway).

And Gozer the Gozerian too. I mean, letting us choose the Destructor? What the Hell, dude. 

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

The Flying Spag...
Science Freak
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Faith is bad but I think fear is far worse.

The thing is, fear has many positive functions.  It's quite the evolutionary boon, actually.  Like so many things, it's a double edged sword.  

I can't find one good thing about faith.

Faith has a very positive impact on the world. You're just looking at it from the stance of a skeptical atheist. Take religion out of the scenario for a second. Faith is what helps people maintain hope and gives them a source of strength. Faith in one's abilities aids in personal motivation and achieving feats which many may say cannot be done (like the Wright Brothers believing in their cause). Don't get me wrong, I HATE religion and am very dependent on evidence and science over almost everything, but faith isn't just about belief, it's about confidence, loyalty, trust and many other positive attributes. I think you're allowing your feelings on religion to cloud your judgment.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Well, it's

Hambydammit wrote:

Well, it's not my fault you take the mad ramblings of unnamed atheists as gospel.  Notice that I've been on your side more often than not when somebody wants to tar and feather theists as all bad or sociopaths or whatnot.  I'm pretty sure I've always laid the blame squarely on faith, and I've always been clear that I'm just as equally opposed to non-theist woo-woo.  Like I said, religion is just a big boil on the butt.  Or... forehead, or whatever.  It gets the most flack because there are a lot more theists than pyramid power nuts.

Well, Hamby, one of my quirks is that you said man invented faith. Faith is in our nature.

Anywho I think this is a marked day on the calender since I think I agree with Kevin

Quote:

But so I'm not completely on his side, I also think it's the other things genes do [not just propagate] that also cause the problem.