Gran Torino (WARNING: SPOILERTOWN!!!)

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Gran Torino (WARNING: SPOILERTOWN!!!)

I enjoyed it. Clint Eastwood is an excellent director (but really, after all the time he's spent in the film industry, who could claim to be surprised?), and he still has his on the set talent.

...I'm not sure how I feel about the ending, though. I was pretty anti-climactic. If I may be the bad guy:

Shouldn't Walt have just gunned those fuckers down in a blaze of glory at the end? He certainly had the option; those pistols and uzis the gangsters had looked flashy, but Walt's big 'ol cannon would've picked them off well outside their effective range. It felt anti-climactic for the goons to just 'go to jail' (...sort of funny aside, on this same note: I really wish more comic movies had the villains being cuffed and dragged-off to super prison at the end. Y'know, like in the Goddamn comics!? Sticking out tongue At least Batman got it right) - everybody who isn't naive knows that they'd do 15-20, tops, and then be out and back to their same shennanigans.

Sociopaths cannot re-offend if they're dead. Smiling

Meh. Perhaps I'm over thinking it or am choosing to gloss over some of the motifs (like when Walt was specifically told in his horoscope that he was headed fo an anti-climax. Sticking out tongue ). It was certainly one of the best war veteran character sketches I've seen done on film, anyway.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
It was a good movie overall.

It was a good movie overall. I have to agree 100% that I was standing on the couch at the end waiting for ol' walt to mow down about 20 people, only to see him get shot up over a lighter.

Maybe I watched too much Dirty Harry as a child.

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Maybe I watched too

Quote:
Maybe I watched too much Dirty Harry as a child.

Well, now that I think about it, it was sort-of a send-off motif for Harry. Remember how Harry usually killed the bad guy? Shooting them right as they went for their gun?

Bah. I just wanted to see those punks get it. Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
If you can get a hold of

If you can get a hold of it...

That the movie was primarily a comedy was a complete surprise. I enjoyed the movie. I saw it in a packed theatre with an audience that was perhaps 1/3rd or less Caucasians. The remainder of the audience was approx. 60% Hispanic-American and 40% African-American.

I mention the racial mixture because the humor of the movie was about the laughable racist remarks made by the lead character to people of other "races."

The audience was quite obviously not offended by the absurdity of the dinosaur-like attitude of the character, which made the movie that much more enjoyable.

It generated some honest belly laughs, rather than overly generous chuckels.

Do check it out, if you can.

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:I'm

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I'm curious? What's up with the picture under your name? The Robert Pape book, and the words "LOL Fail"?

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Kevin R

manofmanynames wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I'm curious? What's up with the picture under your name? The Robert Pape book, and the words "LOL Fail"?

Pretty sure, that any time something gets stamped with "LOL FAIL" ... its (for lack of a better term) retarded.

What Would Kharn Do?

arthur king
User is offlineOffline
It is my opinion that this

It is my opinion that this movie was the trigger for the Nazi Holocaust Memorial shooter.  Old bigotted fart, weeks to live, go out with a big splash.

arthur king, the voice of god