Terminator Salvation

A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
Terminator Salvation

Speaking of don't waste your money on sequels, not only is this one remiss in action, special, effects and drama it

{not a spoler}

It repeats all the classic taglines from previous movies

{possible spoiler}

It uses two of the previous endings end this one.

{guareteed a spoiler}

The movie itself.

It is running second to the Night at the Museum sequel and justly so. In fact if you have yet to see the new Star Trek see it instead. If you have seen it the Star Trek is worth a second viewing rather than a first viewing of this Terminator.

Literally this could have been a knockoff like the recent Day the Earth Stopped and TerminatorS.

 

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml


Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
Posts: 15742
Joined: 2006-02-14
User is offlineOffline
Weird Al parodied the

Weird Al parodied the original Star Wars  even before the crappy new sequals were made in "Yoda" spoof of "Lola"(Eric Clapton).

"This long term contract

I had to sign

Said I'd be making these movies

Till the end of time"

(END)

It is very rare that a sequal, much less a 3rd, is as well made as the first.

I thought the first 3 Star Wars were fantastic. I thought the new 3 sucked huge donkey balls!

I have no desire to see this Terminator, Unless it has Arnold seeking to save America from Dick Cheney.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under BrianJames Rational Poet also on twitter under Brianrrs37


marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
Posts: 676
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:Speaking

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Speaking of don't waste your money on sequels, not only is this one remiss in action, special, effects and drama it

The movie wasn't any good, but, the action was solid, the special effects were good, the sound was good. Before the hack director tried to start summing up the story and giving it a point, the movie was a fricken bad ass action movie. The acting was decent but some of the lines were distractingly contrived. The sets and designs were pretty cool but some of them were so silly that it was annoying (and not needed).

The only thing this movie was missing is a reason to have been made. It lacked heart and honesty. It was a hoaky play at the idea of "man" struggling with his humanity.


Gauche
atheist
Gauche's picture
Posts: 1565
Joined: 2007-01-18
User is offlineOffline
It recieved 34% on rotten

It received 34% on rotten tomatoes. That means 2 out of 3 reviews were negative. That's almost as bad as Paul Blart mall cop.

There are twists of time and space, of vision and reality, which only a dreamer can divine
H.P. Lovecraft


Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
Posts: 1861
Joined: 2007-08-20
User is offlineOffline
That's based on very few

That's based on very few reviews so far.


bunnyv2 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
I'm surprised the lame

I'm surprised the lame parallels to Christianity haven't been brought up. The machines are made by man, become self aware, and then turn on their creators. John is seen as the saviour while others see him as a "false prophet".  He comes close to dying, but...he....will...live.....AGAAAAAIN! lol I thought it was entertaining enough, but definitely could've waited to see it as a rental. At least it wasn't as annoying as I Am Legend.


A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:Weird Al

Brian37 wrote:

Weird Al parodied the original Star Wars  even before the crappy new sequals were made in "Yoda" spoof of "Lola"(Eric Clapton).

"This long term contract

I had to sign

Said I'd be making these movies

Till the end of time"

(END)

It is very rare that a sequal, much less a 3rd, is as well made as the first.

I thought the first 3 Star Wars were fantastic. I thought the new 3 sucked huge donkey balls!

I have no desire to see this Terminator, Unless it has Arnold seeking to save America from Dick Cheney.

The first Star Wars was great. The second had to go with "I am your father."

The third? Darth Vader goes to heaven. And that is before the attack of the teddy bears.

You know, kids like movies because they are trying to grow up. When kids like a movie and then the sequel caters to kids not to the adults they want to be it sucks.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml


A_Nony_Mouse
atheist
A_Nony_Mouse's picture
Posts: 2880
Joined: 2008-04-23
User is offlineOffline
.

marcusfish wrote:

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:

Speaking of don't waste your money on sequels, not only is this one remiss in action, special, effects and drama it

The movie wasn't any good, but, the action was solid, the special effects were good, the sound was good. Before the hack director tried to start summing up the story and giving it a point, the movie was a fricken bad ass action movie. The acting was decent but some of the lines were distractingly contrived. The sets and designs were pretty cool but some of them were so silly that it was annoying (and not needed).

The only thing this movie was missing is a reason to have been made. It lacked heart and honesty. It was a hoaky play at the idea of "man" struggling with his humanity.

Excuse you are correct. Not bad action but a bad action movie. My problem with the action is what action was really unique to this franchise? If they can catch one of them in a leg trap why didn't they do that in the first three? Sure you want a lot of fighting (beats a plot any day) but this was like one more WWII movie.

Perhaps part of my problem was expecting to much. After three I expected this to be a final battle with the previous three as backdrop and was prepared to see a penultimate battle leaving room for a sequel. Lines/Scenes like "They just lost the power to ... Sending people back helped."

This did not advance the plot but played as a "future prequel" to the franchise.

Maybe I was distracted and not paying attention and missed something. I admit it did not grab my attention at any point.

Jews stole the land. The owners want it back. That is all anyone needs to know about Israel. That is all there is to know about Israel.

www.ussliberty.org

www.giwersworld.org/made-in-alexandria/index.html

www.giwersworld.org/00_files/zion-hit-points.phtml


marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
Posts: 676
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
A_Nony_Mouse wrote:I admit

A_Nony_Mouse wrote:
I admit it did not grab my attention at any point.

I think that's a fair statement, and is the general feeling of most. Sums it up nicely, I'd say. It just didn't really give us a reason to care. It was big, pretty, loud, and kind of neat... but that's not a movie, that's just a bad ass trailer with a goof ball attempt at "drama".


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
WARNING: SPOILERTOWN!!! I

WARNING: SPOILERTOWN!!!

 

I really liked it, actually. It was definitely just a popcorn action flick, and I know that's not everyone's bag of jacks, but it moved along quite well and the cinematography was awesome (no boob shots for Hamby, I digress, but if that's not a dealbreaker for you and you enjoy action films there's no reason not to see this. There are more miniguns featured in Terminator: Salvation than are likely to be featured in every action film released this year).

Quote:
I'm surprised the lame parallels to Christianity haven't been brought up. The machines are made by man, become self aware, and then turn on their creators. John is seen as the saviour while others see him as a "false prophet".  He comes close to dying, but...he....will...live.....AGAAAAAIN! lol I thought it was entertaining enough, but definitely could've waited to see it as a rental. At least it wasn't as annoying as I Am Legend.

Everything can be seen to have lame parallels with Christianity, because Christianity borrows from every mythology out there. If you want to poo poo every piece of fiction that shares some plot element with the Bible, you may as well just sit at home, put a blanket over your head and twiddle your thumbs. It's a mile long stretch to compare the plot device of SkyNet's self-awareness to 'The Fall'; after SkyNet becomes self-aware, it doesn't simply 'turn on us' (well, unless you consider Terminator 3 to have canon authority greater than Terminator 2 and the comics, in which case, don't talk to me. Sticking out tongue ); the U.S. defense department panics and attempts to shut it down. SkyNet then defends itself by launching ICBMs at Russia, banking on the Russians returning fire and wiping-out it's enemies.

This is not really the same as Adam biting the forbidden fruit; it's another cautionary tale of the 10,000,000 lb radioactive elephant in the room.

 

John surviving at the end was really, really lame (...Didn't Arnold specifically say that he killed John in T3? Yeah, he did. Sticking out tongue), but whatever. I certainly wasn't jarred by it being at all similar to the resurrection of Christ; John was impaled through the chest with a steel beam swung by a giant killer robot. Not quite the same way Jesus died, I dont think.

Really, though, how much of the movie was about John being a prophet or getting killed or getting revived? Maybe a combined total of 10-15 minutes? Most of the movie was about giant robots with miniguns sweeping bullets all over a blasted parody of America. Where's that parallel with the Bible? What passage in the Bible has A-10 'Warthogs' getting roasted in a furball with Hunter-Killer droids? Where's the passage with the 4-armed automaton vaporizing trucks with it's plasma cannon?

Whether you dig that sort of stuff or not, that's the meat of the film. It was about shit being blown-up. If you go looking for something much deeper and more meaningful than that, well, you probably went to see the wrong movie.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Blind_Chance
Blind_Chance's picture
Posts: 124
Joined: 2008-01-09
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:Whether

Kevin R Brown wrote:

Whether you dig that sort of stuff or not, that's the meat of the film. It was about shit being blown-up. If you go looking for something much deeper and more meaningful than that, well, you probably went to see the wrong movie.

Expecting deeper meaning after a Sci-Fi action film is like expecting a French cuisine in McDonald's. We have seen many times, what happens, when you try to put to much "deep thoughts" and plot in a action film. Matrix Revolutions anyone ?

Thank you for a warning peeps, I was thinking about watching Star Trek as well, I will give it a try.

Ecrasez l'infame!


marcusfish
Superfan
marcusfish's picture
Posts: 676
Joined: 2007-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Blind_Chance wrote:Kevin R

Blind_Chance wrote:

Kevin R Brown wrote:
If you go looking for something much deeper and more meaningful than that, well, you probably went to see the wrong movie.

Expecting deeper meaning after a Sci-Fi action film is like expecting a French cuisine in McDonald's.

Deep meaning or not, there is a stark difference between a movie that flows, has good dialogue, solid action and something interesting to say... and one that is flat. My problem with Salvation is that it was flat. It played at drama and plot, but in the end it was just an action flick that was taking itself to seriously. At least Transformers was aware that it was a popcorn movie (and did a MUCH better job of providing meaningless action).


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Quote:It played at drama and

Quote:
It played at drama and plot, but in the end it was just an action flick that was taking itself to seriously. At least Transformers was aware that it was a popcorn movie (and did a MUCH better job of providing meaningless action).

See, I personally hate when a movie decides 'not to take itself seriously' and starts breaking the 4th wall by winking at the audience. I think it's a cheap copout. I liked Transformers, but I also thought the weakest parts were the ones that featured the goofballs from 'Sector 7' who's role was clearly just to let the audience know that they were watching a movie (give me back my immersion, Hollywood!!!)

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940


Subdi Visions
Bronze Member
Subdi Visions's picture
Posts: 278
Joined: 2007-10-29
User is offlineOffline
I liked it

Saw it today and liked it better than I thought I was going to. I wasn't expecting it to be as good or better than the first two. It was really just filling in some of what was mentioned in earlier movies. If you like the story line than seeing this movie will be worth your time.

Respectfully,
Lenny

"The righteous rise, With burning eyes, Of hatred and ill-will
Madmen fed on fear and lies, To beat and burn and kill"
Witch Hunt from the album Moving Pictures. Neal Pert, Rush