Theist challange: provide a rational definition of god

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Theist challange: provide a rational definition of god

In a recent topic, HisWillness floated the idea that, as there is no rational, coherent definition of god, any discussion of god is inherently ridiculous. I think it's rather like debating whether Batman could defeat Superman, myself.

In that thread, I asked a rhetorical question: what is the minimum requirements for a god? Before you can define god, you'll need some rubric by which to judge whether your definition is of god or not. For instance, is it necessary that god created the universe? Is it necessary that god intended to create humans? And so on.

Here's your challange, theists and atheists alike: provide the minimum requirements for god, and present a coherent, rational definition of god that covers the minimum requirements.

After, we'll discuss who would be better against a zombie dragon attack, Wonder Woman or Jar Jar Binks.

{{MOD EDIT:  Moved to AvT -HD}}

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:...But to

Paisley wrote:

...But to craft a hypothesis requires some evidence....

Hi.  How are we all doing?  Good?  I have to say that I'm enjoying our game of philosophical football.  Or at least I was up until this little comment.  You don't know me but I'm an actual scientist (lucky you!) and I'm here to tell you that you're wrong.

Hypotheses are based on observation not evidence.  If Newton had watched the apocryphal apple fall to the ground, rather than hypothesizing a universal force that draws matter together he could have suggested that there is an invisible blanket of hordickelsplat that holds things up and its when that blanket tears that things fall down.  He wouldn't have evidence for either of these thoughts, just the observation that things fall.   It is when the predictions of the hypothesis are tested and evidence is gathered that the hypothesis fails or a theory begins to form.

Thanks for your time.

M

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Well,

manofmanynames wrote:

Well, all worldviews posses a sort of object at the center of it, you masturbatory relationship towards science, is one such "object".

A christian blasting someone for having a fawning overestimation of anything just screams of hypocrisy.

Quote:

You profess science to be only conveyor of truth, as science as the truth the way and the life, this i what can be easily gathered from your blog. You claim it as poetic conveyor of reality, you hold science as not only the purveyor of the workings of the natural world, but as the poetics of existence as well, as poetic truth too:  "Reality waxes poetic about the vastness her bounds".

Where you hold science as that object, I as a christian hold Jesus Christ. 

A rather 'elusive' and 'slippery' 'thing' to hold.... unless you're speaking of a long dead rabbi, you don't anything to hold at all here....

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

todangst
atheistRational VIP!
todangst's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:crazymonkie

Paisley wrote:

crazymonkie wrote:

"Awareness" can't be in a void. It is always awareness of something.

No it isn't. And we have already discussed this. I have experienced pure awareness. 

I think you're making the error of leaving yourself out of the equation.

Sheer pure awareness - without any subject - is incoherent, it's an internal contradiction... there must be a subject which is aware, to be simply aware, or to experience awareness, you must experience your own cognitions.... i.e. yourself as a thinker.

"Hitler burned people like Anne Frank, for that we call him evil.
"God" burns Anne Frank eternally. For that, theists call him 'good.'

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote:Paisley

MichaelMcF wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Hi.  How are we all doing?  Good?  I have to say that I'm enjoying our game of philosophical football.  Or at least I was up until this little comment.  You don't know me but I'm an actual scientist (lucky you!) and I'm here to tell you that you're wrong.

Pff. Actual science. As if that's going to make a dent. I have a prediction: you will be accused of loving science so much that your faith in it clouds your atheist-materialist-world-view-addled mind from seeing the ultimate truth. Also you're dishonest and you didn't even watch the video, so you're not equipped to have this argument.

A second prediction: we will be no closer to having a minimal requirement set for a god.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:Sheer pure

todangst wrote:
Sheer pure awareness - without any subject - is incoherent, it's an internal contradiction...

Huh. Imagine that.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:No it isn't. And we

Quote:
No it isn't. And we have already discussed this. I have experienced pure awareness.

How... Platonic?

I suppose you've also experienced 'pure squareness'? Sticking out tongue

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:You could

HisWillness wrote:

You could have said the only being with knowledge of every true proposition. Would that work better for you? Of course, how would we know that this being is the only one that has this knowledge?

But that's not the requirement as posted in the OP. The question is not whether the deity being defined exists or not. The question is whether the definition of the deity is coherent or not. So your response is irrelevant because it doesn't address why having "knowledge of every true proposition" is incoherent.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
User is offlineOffline
5 pages of circles...can we

5 pages of circles...

can we discuss the zombie dragon attack yet? ... or are you people actually going somewhere with this... tripe... >.>

What Would Kharn Do?

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:For anyone

HisWillness wrote:
For anyone who's wondering, the humour is the ever-diminishing possibility of getting a definition for a god that could be turned into a hypothesis. I'm not saying I'm surprised, but it is pretty entertaining. 

The request in  OP does not ask to provide a scientific hypothesis of God. Is simply requests, and I quote, "provide the minimum requirements for god, and present a coherent, rational definition of god that covers the minimum requirements."

Playing these games neither speaks well of you or your cause.

"Scientists animated by the purpose of proving they are purposeless constitute an interesting subject for study." - Alfred North Whitehead

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

crazymonkie wrote:

"Awareness" can't be in a void. It is always awareness of something.

No it isn't. And we have already discussed this. I have experienced pure awareness. Evidently, you have not. Also, qualifying it with "of" does not really change anything.

Yea, we discussed it and you still only asserted. There is no such thing as pure awareness, and the phenomenologists of the 20th century showed this. There must always be an object for the subject to relate to. Thus: Awareness IS ALWAYS awareness of something.

In the case of 'pure' awareness, it is the mind (abstraction of the brain) being aware of itself. It still refers to *something.*

That you believe you experienced some transcendent 'beyond' I don't doubt. But these are the facts.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

crazymonkie wrote:

Everyone here can grasp the terms just fine. It's a problem of definition. The problem stems entirely from your willful obfuscation and blatant abuse of terminology for your own purposes. You can't even use jargon right.

I'll ask just once- because it seems like a rite of passage around here to do it- Give me a coherent definition of "consciousness" that does NOT employ the term "awareness." There are enough synonyms in the English language to do this. Oh, and it has to be a MULTI-WORD DEFINITION. Not just a synonym for "Awareness."

If you cannot do this, I will assume you are either utterly full of shit, or simply totally ignorant of how philosophy, or even just philosophical bullshitting sessions like this, work.

If you think you're going to come here and bully me around, then you're sorely mistaken. Either you understand the term "awareness" or you don't. If you don't, then I will ask you to humbly bow out because you clearly do not have the intellectual capacity to debate me or anyone else. It's that simple.

So you have no definiton.

Got it.

I told you I wanted the definition, you didn't give it to me. I can only assume you don't have it, because it's a perfectly reasonable request- framed in my own sense of exasperation with your obdurate bull-headed idiocy, but a reasonable request nonetheless.

No definition, ergo, no argument.

Thanks for playing, Paisley.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

Answers in Gene Simmons wrote:
Um treat2, if you have a link for that ...I would love to see it. Got linkage?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/13/peopleinscience.religion

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Paisley

nigelTheBold wrote:

Paisley wrote:

I provided the minimum requirements for a God-concept. I have yet to see you provide any rationale for why it is incoherent. Thus far, the only objection is: "But I don't undestand what the term "awareness" means."

As has been pointed out, "awareness" is insufficient as a minimum requirement for a god-concept.

Our objection isn't that we don't know what awareness means.

If you know what the term "awareness" means, then I guess it is not incoherent. I said that any definition of God must require that God at least be conscious. That's the minimum requirement. That's the starting point. How is that equivocating? If you insist that consciousness is an incoherent concept, then how can we move forward? Answer: We can't.

nigelTheBold wrote:
What we are objecting to is that you think it means something other than it does.

No, I don't. I assume that you know what the term "awareness" means because you have experienced it. Unfortunately, based on past threads, you and other members of this forum have sought to make the ridiculous argument that the term "awareness" is a meaningless concept! 

nigelTheBold wrote:
You have a habit of embuing common words with "spirituality," and expecting us to go along with it as if you mean what we do. This has led to both confusion (which I believe is intentional on your part, as you a duplicitous, underhanded, intellectually-dishonest, and you probably cheat on your taxes) and an inability to reach common understanding

To reach a common understanding? Puhlease! You're not interested in coming to a common understanding. The only interest you and your fellow forum members have is to rant and rave and fling ad hominem attacks. This is made abundantly clear by the following:

nigelTheBold wrote:
(which is also mostly likely intentional on your part, as you like to punch babies, sodomize puppies, and masturbate to pictures of Guantanomo detainees).

I hope you realize that the foregoing is a commentary on your character, not mine. The psychological term for this type of behavior is known as projection.

nigelTheBold wrote:
It is your sophistry and equivocation which makes us suspicious of your use of words. For instance, I believe you are going to suggest that "awareness" implies a god-concept, without bothering to note that it makes your whole argument circular.

This is what I mean by "incoherent."

If you say that universe is conscious or that consciousness is a fundamental aspect of mass/energy, then it most certainly does imply a God-concept. It's called pantheism.

Now, the question is not whether there is evidence for an all-pervading consciousness (although there is). The question is whether or not the concept is coherent. You have failed to provide an explanation for why it is not.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley, as Will pointed

Paisley, as Will pointed out, TWO FUCKING PAGES AGO, that god is 'aware' or 'conscious' (the terms for you are interchangable) is NOT a minimal requirement. It is not sufficient.

He explained why, but I'll repeat it. If the only requirement that some being be a god is that the being be conscious and/or aware- we humans are all gods.

What else do you have?

OrdinaryClay wrote:

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
All we want is coherent,

All we want is coherent, unambiguous definitions of the terms we're employing. Jesus fucking Christ! How many pages of how many threads have we spent debating the semantics of a few words? Why is this so difficult?

Dammit, Paisley! If we don't understand your position. You should try to explain it to us. Our goal is to understand each other, not achieve glorious victory.

Paisley wrote:
Either you understand the term "awareness" or you don't. If you don't, then I will ask you to humbly bow out because you clearly do not have the intellectual capacity to debate me or anyone else. It's that simple.

I mean, what is this? WTF?

Everyone here understands the term awareness, but nobody understands your interpretation of it because nobody can read your mind. Words have multiple meanings, often vague, often mutually exclusive. Does that make any sense to you...at all? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:...If you say

Paisley wrote:
...If you say that universe is conscious or that consciousness is a fundamental aspect of mass/energy, then it most certainly does imply a God-concept. It's called pantheism.

For the Pantheist, god doesn't act with conscious intent, nor is the pantheist god a conscious being, nor nor is the pantheist god self-aware.

In short, 6he idea of a conscious god is a that of a "personal" god, not a "non-personal" god, as in Pantheismm.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
crazymonkie wrote:Paisley

crazymonkie wrote:

Paisley wrote:

No it isn't. And we have already discussed this. I have experienced pure awareness. Evidently, you have not. Also, qualifying it with "of" does not really change anything.

Awareness IS ALWAYS awareness of something.

In the case of 'pure' awareness, it is the mind (abstraction of the brain) being aware of itself. It still refers to *something.*

It's the mind (awareness) being aware of itself being aware of itself, etc. Can you say "infinite regress?"

As I said before, qualifying it with "of" doesn't change anything.

crazymonkie wrote:
That you believe you experienced some transcendent 'beyond' I don't doubt. But these are the facts.

This depends on how you define the "transcendent beyond." I know that it is nontemporal, nonspatial, and nonsensory. IOW, it's beyond time, space, and the senses.  

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline

Paisley wrote:

crazymonkie wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Awareness IS ALWAYS awareness of something.

It's the mind (awareness) being aware of itself being aware of itself, etc. Can you say "infinite regress?"

I can't and don't.

Again: It's the mind being aware of itself.

Full stop.

YOU see it as infinite regress. It is not. Subject-object relation, that's all it is.

Quote:
As I said before, qualifying it with "of" doesn't change anything.

It doesn't? Let's see: Self-awareness is Self being aware itself.

Self-awareness is Self being aware OF itself.

Hmmm... KINDA CHANGES THE MEANING, HUH?

Stop equivocating already. This shit's getting old.

Quote:
This depends on how you define the "transcendent beyond."

As imaginary, based upon mistaken subjective interpretations of personal experience. That it is fairly common only speaks to the fact that humans have had the same 'hardware' since they started talking and writing about it.

OrdinaryClay wrote:

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Oh and also: What other

Oh and also: What other qualifications are there for a god to be a god, and not just an aware and/or conscious being?

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

nigelTheBold wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Subjective experiences. This probably explains why I am the only one here able to understand the meaning of the term "awareness."

Ah! So you are narcissistic as well. I suspected as much.

This is simply another lame attempt at humor for lack of a logical argument.

I fail to see why the employment of subjective experience as another avenue of inquiry and knowledge is narcissistic. Indeed, science itself ultimately relies on the subjective experiences of perception, imagination, and rationalization.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Paisley

HisWillness wrote:

Paisley wrote:
I said that universal consciousness was the minimum requirement for a God-concept. And since we are all sentient beings, then it logically follows that the concept of consciousness is not a meaningless term. The reason why the term "consciousness" or "awareness" has currency in the English language is because the vast majority of English-speaking people have experienced their own subjectivity first-hand and are able to associate the term with the experience. If you're not, then you simply lack the intellectual tools to continue this debate or any other debate.

Yeah, I'm really under-qualified. Fascinating. Anyway, what's "universal consciousness"? Is that your god? Or does your god have a hat, too? I bet it's a terrific hat. I'm thinking a giant green, red, and yellow sombrero. For sure.

Universal consciousness means that the consciousness through which I perceive the world is the same consciousness through which you and all sentient beings perceive the world. Now, the question is not whether you believe in it or not. The only question is whether it is coherent. If you believe it is not, then please explain why it is not.

HisWillness wrote:
I just had a revelation, and it's that your god wears a giant multi-coloured sombrero. It's ... really awesome.

Smart-aleck comments like these do not help you or your cause.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Universal

Paisley wrote:
Universal consciousness means that the consciousness through which I perceive the world is the same consciousness through which you and all sentient beings perceive the world. Now, the question is not whether you believe in it or not. The only question is whether it is coherent. If you believe it is not, then please explain why it is not.

That's an easy one...

Unkess you're a Borg, there is no collective consciousness.

On the other hand, C. Jung would argued there's a collective unconscious, but that's another matter.

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
I need Scissors! 61!    

I need Scissors! 61!

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Are you getting an inny or

Are you getting an inny or an outty?

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:I have a

HisWillness wrote:

I have a prediction: you will be accused of loving science so much that your faith in it clouds your atheist-materialist-world-view-addled mind from seeing the ultimate truth. Also you're dishonest and you didn't even watch the video, so you're not equipped to have this argument.

Or I might just be ignored

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:If you know

Paisley wrote:

If you know what the term "awareness" means, then I guess it is not incoherent. I said that any definition of God must require that God at least be conscious. That's the minimum requirement. That's the starting point. How is that equivocating? If you insist that consciousness is an incoherent concept, then how can we move forward? Answer: We can't.

Of course we can't. You use "awareness" as a minimum qualification for god. Actually, if you read my post on it, I agree. It is necessary, but not sufficient. See, as has been pointed out in several posts, awareness is something experienced subjectively by all of us. Does that make all of us individual gods? Or are you using "awareness" in a way that expands beyond the subjective experience of each of us as individuals? Or is there more to this definition of god of yours?

It's a fairly simple set of questions. Your refusal to answer any of them is equivocation. It's as simple as that.

Quote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
What we are objecting to is that you think it means something other than it does.

No, I don't. I assume that you know what the term "awareness" means because you have experienced it. Unfortunately, based on past threads, you and other members of this forum have sought to make the ridiculous argument that the term "awareness" is a meaningless concept! 

No, we have argued that "awareness," as we understand it, does not support your various ontological positions. You use "awareness" to mean something we don't think it means. You use it in a dualistic fashion, which is okay, except you use that dualistic meaning to prove dualism. Like I suspect you are doing here.

It's a tautological argument. Meaningless.

Incoherent.

Quote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
You have a habit of embuing common words with "spirituality," and expecting us to go along with it as if you mean what we do. This has led to both confusion (which I believe is intentional on your part, as you a duplicitous, underhanded, intellectually-dishonest, and you probably cheat on your taxes) and an inability to reach common understanding

To reach a common understanding? Puhlease! You're not interested in coming to a common understanding.

Actually, I am. I really do wish you'd bother discussing your philosophical views in an intelligent, rational way. Instead, you use empty arguments (such as assuming dualism to prove dualism), attack others ('you're not equipped to discuss this'), and so on. In short, you are a narcissistic prick.

Quote:

The only interest you and your fellow forum members have is to rant and rave and fling ad hominem attacks. This is made abundantly clear by the following:

nigelTheBold wrote:
(which is also mostly likely intentional on your part, as you like to punch babies, sodomize puppies, and masturbate to pictures of Guantanomo detainees).

Oh, so you can insult others, but I can't insult you? You think because your insults are all coy and passive-aggressive that somehow they are okay?

Just to clarify, this wasn't meant as an ad hominem argument, which would be a fallacy. This was meant to be an old-fashioned insult. You used the word "attack" instead of "argument," but I just wanted to be clear about my intent.

Plus, is it an insult if it's true?

Quote:

I hope you realize that the foregoing is a commentary on your character, not mine. The psychological term for this type of behavior is known as projection.

No, the psychological term for this type of behaviour is "pissed off." There's no projection here, and it doesn't even resemble projection. All you're saying is, "I'm rubber and you're glue" Ha-ha. How clever.

I'm glad you addressed the real argument, though, which is that you equivocate the meaning of words, and when asked to clarify, avoid doing so by saying, "You're not fit to have this discussion."

Quote:

nigelTheBold wrote:
It is your sophistry and equivocation which makes us suspicious of your use of words. For instance, I believe you are going to suggest that "awareness" implies a god-concept, without bothering to note that it makes your whole argument circular.

This is what I mean by "incoherent."

If you say that universe is conscious or that consciousness is a fundamental aspect of mass/energy, then it most certainly does imply a God-concept. It's called pantheism.

Now, the question is not whether there is evidence for an all-pervading consciousness (although there is). The question is whether or not the concept is coherent. You have failed to provide an explanation for why it is not.

There isn't any evidence, and you've not provided any. Thanks for playing.

Now, this is what I mean by equivocation. This is the sort of explanation that, up front, would've saved us a lot of this fun back-and-forth banter we've been having.

Believe it or not, when most people discuss "awareness," they do not think of consciousness as a fundamental aspect of mass/energy. Most poeple consider their own subjective experience (which I tried to get you to clarify several posts back).

So when folks were asking you to define "awareness," they weren't being idiots (as you implied). They were trying to get you to commit to your definition, so we knew what the fuck you were talking about, and you couldn't come back later and say, "But you presented evidence, so you obviously agree with me."

Either you're too stupid to understand that, or you are intentionally evasive because you know your arguments wouldn't stand up to actual rational inspection. I suspect a combination of the two.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:This depends

Paisley wrote:

This depends on how you define the "transcendent beyond." I know that it is nontemporal, nonspatial, and nonsensory. IOW, it's beyond time, space, and the senses.  

Hey! That's the exact same definition of something that doesn't exist. What a coincidence!

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:nigelTheBold

Paisley wrote:

nigelTheBold wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Subjective experiences. This probably explains why I am the only one here able to understand the meaning of the term "awareness."

Ah! So you are narcissistic as well. I suspected as much.

I fail to see why the employment of subjective experience as another avenue of inquiry and knowledge is narcissistic. Indeed, science itself ultimately relies on the subjective experiences of perception, imagination, and rationalization.

This is true. I was just being a smart-ass. I figured you do it all the time, so I could too. Only I was trying to be funny, too.

Actually, there is a thread of truth to it. I mean, you are narcissistic, that's quite obvious. When I pointed out you were completely wrong when you said I presented evidence, you called me a liar instead of saying, "Whoops! Mea culpa." (Yes, this all goes back to that instant. I fucking hate people who can't admit they are wrong when it's right there on the page for all to see.)

But really, anyone who believes they have a special truth based on subjective experience of self-awareness is narcissistic. They automatically assume they have some special ability that many others lack that gives them special truths. They believe they are automatically right, and others are automatically wrong.

That's narcissism.

And like most narcissists, you won't be able to recognize that you are quite possibly wrong; that your subjective experience, your transcendental moment, gave you no more truth than the worst delusions of a delusional paranoid.

This brings me back to another question you've avoided: do you believe that UFOs visit the earth and abduct people? Do you believe in bigfoot? In mothman? In the monster under the bed? These are all things people have subjectively experienced. I would say most people have experienced the monster under the bed. Does that make it real?

Because that's your argument, Paisley. You are arguing that our experience of the monster under the bed makes it real, and we will get eaten if we don't pull the covers up over our head.

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Answers in

treat2 wrote:
Um treat2, if you have a link for that ...I would love to see it. Got linkage?
http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/may/13/peopleinscience.religion

OK, I saw that link in the other thread. However, it is not even close to what I was asking for.

What I am asking for is a link that substantiates your proposition that the pope called Einstein in to request that he withhold publication on the big bang until the implication for christianty could be worked out. Specifically while the following was going on:

Einstein was not advancing the big bang. Rather, he was still holding the line on a static universe.

Georges Lemaître had published on the big bang already.

The pope had already shot is smart ass mouth off about how science had, through the big bang, proved special creation.

Georges Lemaître had in fact gone out of his way to get an audience with the pope to tell him to cut it out.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Di66en6ion
Di66en6ion's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:Ah, i

manofmanynames wrote:

Ah, i see better now, which your supposed "correct"  definition of things, and the above, I'm led to believe you believe in a sort of scientism. That anything defined strictly outside of labatorial terms is too vague for your contemplation to be ever taken seriously. That the Gospels writers claim that Jesus is the "truth" is meaningless unless by him being the truth means he holds the secret of decoding the human genome. Any notion of truth in a poetic sense of the term, such as truths conveyed by the fables told in my youth, such as the one of the tortoise and hare, is beyond your simple minded comprehension unless the usage of truth here is to claim that rabbits talk

If your sense of what is true is plagued by this sort of retardation, that renders all outside of a science text book as too vague for you, that's your handicap not mine. 

Whats odd, if you assume the OP is looking for the "correct" definition of God, along the lines of your supposed "correct" definition of love, whats the purpose of seeking it here, when you should be seeking the scientific literature on the subject, that defines God beliefs strictly on the biological basis of them.

The problem with any supposedly claimed "truths" propossed by religions is that they're, at heart, just as ambiguous as the term "God". All poems have an amount of ambiguity due to our subjective nature. Even as a child I realized how stupid the story of the Tortoise and the Hare is because it only gives one literal context when it was obviously trying to promote a broader metaphorical one. Slow and steady wins the race obviously doesn't fit every context, even metaphorically, so there is no "truth" in that story than any other. No set of morality or metaphorical claptrap phrase will work in all contexts.

The problem I see with a lot of religious dogma and human nature in general is our desire to categorize things as black and white so as to be easily understood. One may sum this up in something like "Life is only as complicated as you want to make it" but there is nothing in life that is black and white imo.

That being said I think there are contexts for which things can be true no matter what someone's subjective nature tells them. Someone could walk in on a man with a knife in his hand and a dead body under him and either think that he just picked up the knife after he found the body or killed the person. Three security cameras viewing what happened from different angles would 100% remove any doubt of what happened and that's the way I tend to view science. It removes an immense amount of subjectivity from the discussion.

manofmanynames (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Di66en6ion wrote:The problem

Di66en6ion wrote:

The problem with any supposedly claimed "truths" proposed by religions is that they're, at heart, just as ambiguous as the term "God". All poems have an amount of ambiguity due to our subjective nature. Even as a child I realized how stupid the story of the Tortoise and the Hare is because it only gives one literal context when it was obviously trying to promote a broader metaphorical one. Slow and steady wins the race obviously doesn't fit every context, even metaphorically, so there is no "truth" in that story than any other. No set of morality or metaphorical claptrap phrase will work in all contexts.

We can categorize all forms as such truth, such as the one portrayed by the tortoise and the hair as "aesthetic truths", morality is one such notion of truth, so is what we find meaningful, just, good, merciful, hopeful about. 

The problem here, even when i was a child I knew the story was not a claim of truth in every situation, but true in a particular context, the tale was to convey a perspective, that allowed me as a child to have a context to reflect in my hasty efforts to do things, in half hearted ways, that the end wouldn't yield the best results. It's the advice I would give to my own children, that if your venturing to do something, give it your best, and don't fall into complacency because nothing is guaranteed, and a belief that it is will only lead you to fail more often than you should. 

My father used to tell me, when i was a child, that more than any sort of success in a career, more than any sort of education I may obtain, of how well I do in these endeavors, all that really mattered to him, was that I be a "good" person. That his dream for my life, is to live to an aesthetic  truth for an ambition. It wasn't vague for me what he wanted, I understand it as well than as I do now.

These truths may not be able to be called objective, they may all posses qualities that keep them continually subjective as what they mean, and if they hold true for everybody, but this doesn't diminish the importance of them.

In the approaching world, you profess your notion of truth as a literal scientific version of it, as more important than mine, but I'd wager than science in the end will vote in favor of mine over yours. Science is not the language we use to distill indifference, it's not a call to care, a rebuke to injustice. It's not love your neighbor as yourself, nor a confessor of sacred values such as freedom, community, hope, and love. Only the aesthetic can ever produce convictions, cause us to reflect on our injustice and cruelty, and change. Science may in fact hold many tools to make the world better, but this meaningless if no one really cares too much for the world at all.

Such aesthetics truths may be trivial and too ambiguous for you to find them meaningful, but for history it has been it's most important. 

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Deucedly interesting thread

Deucedly interesting thread even though Paisley came in with his consciousness=awareness=consciousness stuff.

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames wrote:We can

manofmanynames wrote:

We can categorize all forms as such truth, such as the one portrayed by the tortoise and the hair as "aesthetic truths", morality is one such notion of truth, so is what we find meaningful, just, good, merciful, hopeful about. 

But the aesthetic truth of the tortoise and the hare may be determined empirically, as well. It will be noted that a process that is methodical may take longer than a hasty process, but will yield better results. Otherwise, this "aesthetic truth" would not be a truth at all. Even at the heart of this subjective tale, there is objective knowledge.

Any tale, parable, or myth that doesn't provide empirical benefit is not an aesthetic truth. These tales are not outside the purvue of rational thought and empirical evidence.

This is not to say that your dad wasn't right. My dad said something similar. And I have told my daughter the same thing. It is rational, and subject to logical thinking and empirical evidence.

Think of the society in which you would like to live. Is it the one in which everyone is selfish, greedy, and without compassion or empathy? Or is it the society in which everyone cares about everyone else, where generosity is the norm, and consideration the rule? I believe the first society will not stand for long. I believe the second will stand for a long, long time. (Assuming they aren't invaded by the selfish society.)

But that's just me. I can see the application of rationality and empirical evidence to pretty much anything that matters in life. Even the irrational stuff, like Monty Python (which I still enjoy) has a rational foundation: the transient enjoyment of experience, within the context of the society in which I would wish to live. That, and it's funny.

Again, your mileage may vary. Your mind is not like mine, and I'm sure you are thankful for that. So am I: the world is a much better place with a variety of people.

Di66en6ion
Di66en6ion's picture
User is offlineOffline
manofmanynames

manofmanynames wrote:

Di66en6ion wrote:

The problem with any supposedly claimed "truths" proposed by religions is that they're, at heart, just as ambiguous as the term "God". All poems have an amount of ambiguity due to our subjective nature. Even as a child I realized how stupid the story of the Tortoise and the Hare is because it only gives one literal context when it was obviously trying to promote a broader metaphorical one. Slow and steady wins the race obviously doesn't fit every context, even metaphorically, so there is no "truth" in that story than any other. No set of morality or metaphorical claptrap phrase will work in all contexts.

The problem here, even when i was a child I knew the story was not a claim of truth in every situation, but true in a particular context, the tale was to convey a perspective, that allowed me as a child to have a context to reflect in my hasty efforts to do things, in half hearted ways, that the end wouldn't yield the best results. It's the advice I would give to my own children, that if your venturing to do something, give it your best, and don't fall into complacency because nothing is guaranteed, and a belief that it is will only lead you to fail more often than you should. 

My father used to tell me, when i was a child, that more than any sort of success in a career, more than any sort of education I may obtain, of how well I do in these endeavors, all that really mattered to him, was that I be a "good" person. That his dream for my life, is to live to an aesthetic  truth for an ambition. It wasn't vague for me what he wanted, I understand it as well than as I do now.

These truths may not be able to be called objective, they may all posses qualities that keep them continually subjective as what they mean, and if they hold true for everybody, but this doesn't diminish the importance of them.

In the approaching world, you profess your notion of truth as a literal scientific version of it, as more important than mine, but I'd wager than science in the end will vote in favor of mine over yours. Science is not the language we use to distill indifference, it's not a call to care, a rebuke to injustice. It's not love your neighbor as yourself, nor a confessor of sacred values such as freedom, community, hope, and love. Only the aesthetic can ever produce convictions, cause us to reflect on our injustice and cruelty, and change. Science may in fact hold many tools to make the world better, but this meaningless if no one really cares too much for the world at all.

Such aesthetics truths may be trivial and too ambiguous for you to find them meaningful, but for history it has been it's most important.

Ah but I never said they were meaningless now did I? I was merely complaining about how a lot of people (sometimes seems like it's more on the theistic side) that view morality and truths as simply black and white. 

For the most part I think stories like those are just a rough outline. 

One person's notion of "just" could be a willingness to use torture. Being "merciful" might mean assisted-suicide as ok to someone or keeping them alive as long as possible a "good" thing to someone else. No matter how "good" you think you are there will always be someone who thinks you are not, we can't help it from happening. It seems that your concept of truth hinges on the subjective nature of the words used where I define truth differently.

I wasn't professing anything as "the truth" but how some things remove ambiguity from discourse such as this. I can appreciate wordplay as much as anyone. I'm merely pointing out the fact that certain things can be discerned from this world that are not ambigious and that's the closest thing to a textbook definition of truth there is. Science makes no opinions about anything, it's a vast set of tools. It takes situations that are ambiguous and discerns what's actually going on. Science improves your view of truth in this manner by magnifying and scrutinizing what's really going on at a deeper level, that's what I was getting at and that we sort of agree on.

User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:A rather

todangst wrote:

A rather 'elusive' and 'slippery' 'thing' to hold.... unless you're speaking of a long dead rabbi, you don't anything to hold at all here....

All worldviews are held because we find them to be relatable. Our experience and reflection on the life in front of us, leads us to ascribe to a worldview in which relates to this. Why it's easy for me to reject secular humanism, and the common sort of beliefs expounded by our village atheist, is they peddle a sort of Disney land understanding of the world, that lacks any real sort of reflection on suffering, on hope, on depravity, love. The body of thought by proponents of disbelief are absent of reflection on the everyday experiences of my life, all the secular worldview I've encountered remind me of children who close their eyes to certain depictions of reality and deny whats there. 

My arousal of secular visions found there end, in my early years of HS, waiting for a train late at night to a bar that didn't card me and my friends, and waiting with us was a child, I'd say no more than 10 years old, strung out on drugs, and delusional, and angry, telling us how he had just come from seeing his brother, and how he wanted to bash his brothers' wife's head in with a pipe, here I stood only a few years older than him, and bewildered to witness depravity in the form of a young child. Gone were all the illusions of liberalism, humanism with its soft strokes, faith in science or reason, to solve the condition at the heart here.

In a recent blog post, PZ Myers claimed a child staring at the stars as the  aspiring depiction of the human condition, but the depiction of the human condition I even knew as a boy, was that tragic child by the train, whose innocence was lost. I've lived my life as more of an observer of tragedy than a victim of it, a witness to indifference of human beings, when constantly rather than tokenly come to face with injustice, impoverishment, and suffering. I've seen the victims of misery percieve themselves as that man by the tombs who "was always crying out and bruising himself with stones (Mark 8...).

I only know one worldview that shares with me in this reflection, whose conditions of existence to be made sense of were not much different than mine, only one worldview that I found to be relatable to the conditions of my nagging disbelief and belief. A worldview with a depiction of a mutilated innocence at the heart of humanity, is what's relatable to me. And its in the vision of this worldview, that perceives even in this, the existence of hope, dignity, and love, to be the most empowering image that I have ever known.

This is why I hold Jesus Christ as the Truth. 

Our comical atheist (not all atheist, just a certain brand of them) will barely get this, as they are too focused on the material composition of the cosmos, and find more of an inspiration in staring at the stars, than in acts of love. Their shallowness allows them to hold science as the most endearing purveyor of truth, and atheism as cheap cure for a condition they barely know nothing of.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:Anybody

butterbattle wrote:
Anybody can look it up words in a dictionary, and everyone has there own interpretation of what awareness means in this context. The issue is explaining how we understand these terms to each other so we can determine where we disagree.

I associate the term "awareness" with my first-person perspective of subjective experience. For without "awareness," I would not be able to have any experiences whatsover. It is the basis for all experiences. I was assuming that you had the same experience and were therefore able to make the same connection. Evidently, this is not case. So, what exactly are you not grasping here? Were do we disagree?

User is offlineOffline
negligible wrote:Any tale,

negligible wrote:

Any tale, parable, or myth that doesn't provide empirical benefit is not an aesthetic truth. These tales are not outside the purvey of rational thought and empirical evidence.

Well, I never said that what we claim is aesthetic truth is beyond scrutiny, or beyond reasonable discussion, and justification. Even if I were to say I thought a particular film was the best film of the year, I may in fact have rational reasons, and basis for why I perceive this particular film as such, in fact if you disagreed we could even have a tightly argued discussion about the merits of a good film.  I can lead you to reasonably understand why i perceive a certain film to the "best", and yet you can disagree with me, because you have a different standard as to what composes "best". 

I can reasonably and coherently explains the reasons for why I believe in God, and why i am a christian, without ever once revealing signs of an inability to reflect or ponder questions relating to these beliefs. In fact I consider myself to be far more critical of my beliefs, than any sort of shallow pondering the Brian Sapients, and Dawkins of the world may suggest. I don't profess the Christian truth to be an off limits sort of notion of truth, incapable of being criticized or disputed, in fact I open it up to far more scrutiny than other beliefs i hold. 

I can rationally explain the aesthetic reasons for why I love my mother, but just don't take this to be an argument for me trying to convince you to love my mother as well. 

Quote:
This is not to say that your dad wasn't right. My dad said something similar. And I have told my daughter the same thing. It is rational, and subject to logical thinking and empirical evidence.

I never said it was not subject to these things, they're just not reducible to it.

Quote:
Think of the society in which you would like to live. Is it the one in which everyone is selfish, greedy, and without compassion or empathy? Or is it the society in which everyone cares about everyone else, where generosity is the norm, and consideration the rule? I believe the first society will not stand for long. I believe the second will stand for a long, long time. (Assuming they aren't invaded by the selfish society.

Now, here's the difference, I would rather live in the latter society even it weren't going to last long. I rather live amongst a disenfranchised and poor community, with it's toils and suffering, but with a pervading sense of love and community amongst it's people, than Denmark. 

If what I longed for was a society that last long, I'd vouch for groups of individuals with the same sort of goal in mind, if they were selfish, compassionate, greedy, or whatever else it would matter little as long as "living long" was of their ultimate concern as mine. They chose not to rob from me, not because they weren't greedy, but rationally perceived robbing from me to be detrimental to their well being. One does not have to operate from a framework of empathy to be as such. A company may not hire child laborers not out of any moral compulsion of their own, but just because it's not good business. 

So here's a question for you. Would you rather live in a society that will last for long, that offers a good degree of material comfort and well being, but was dominated by individuals who cared very little for their fellow human beings, where empathy and compassion hardly ever reveals itself in human interactions, or just felt so faintly, for the rest of your life, or a society whose material possession were abysmal, who shared whatever little they had, who endearingly loved each other, and yet whose circumstances made them a society not long for the world? 

Would you rather be the family who hid their Jewish neighbor during the holocaust out of compassion and love, who end up being caught, and having their lives cut short, and yet never regretted their decision of love? or the family who witnessed the fate of this one, and refused to shelter their Jewish neighbors, for the sake of prolonging their lives?

Quote:
But that's just me. I can see the application of rationality and empirical evidence to pretty much anything that matters in life. Even the irrational stuff, like Monty Python (which I still enjoy) has a rational foundation: the transient enjoyment of experience, within the context of the society in which I would wish to live. That, and it's funny.

I find that one of the  plaguing myths among disbeliever, lies in the power they associate with rational thinking. This sort thinking confuses moral reasoning as the source of moral behavior. You may believe that you feed a hungry child out of compassion because you come to the rational belief that feeding him adds to societies longevity, but this is an illusions, that modern science would be quick to point out to you, as if your sense of compassion yields to rational thinking. 

As self aware creatures, we often tend to believe in the power of our self awareness, to govern our daily lives, forgetting that human beings are creatures of a dichotomy, that we are also instinctual beings, love and hate flows from the same breath, and we have little to no rational control of what we do and don't. You can't make men love their neighbor by rational argument, no matter how many secular humanist believe so. Paul knew this 2000 years ago, Sam Harris just hasn't gotten the memo

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
MichaelMcF wrote:Paisley

MichaelMcF wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Hypotheses are based on observation not evidence.  If Newton had watched the apocryphal apple fall to the ground, 

And the term "observation" implies that some fact (evidence) has been observed.

Quote:
evidence: : to be seen

(source: Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary)

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/evidence

Incidentally, this is really a side issue and has no direct relevance to the subject matter of this thread. The criteria as set forth in the OP does not require that I present a scientific hypothesis of God. So, I am not really talking about scientific evidence. IOW, your point is moot.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
todangst wrote:Paisley

todangst wrote:

Paisley wrote:

I think you're making the error of leaving yourself out of the equation.

Sheer pure awareness - without any subject - is incoherent, it's an internal contradiction... there must be a subject which is aware, to be simply aware, or to experience awareness, you must experience your own cognitions.... i.e. yourself as a thinker.

It is a state of consciousness that is nonspatial, nontemporal, nonsensory, nonconceptual, and devoid of any content. There is no subject and no object. Or, conversely, you could say that the subject and the object are one and the same. But this is simply a matter of perspective (somewhat analogous to whether the proverbial "glass of water" is half empty or half full).

Is it incoherent? No, I don't think so. I just described it. But I guess you can say it is paradoxical. The bottom line is that it is something whose truth can only be experienced.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline

nigelTheBold wrote:

Paisley wrote:

Actually, there is a thread of truth to it. I mean, you are narcissistic, that's quite obvious. When I pointed out you were completely wrong when you said I presented evidence, you called me a liar instead of saying, "Whoops! Mea culpa." (Yes, this all goes back to that instant. I fucking hate people who can't admit they are wrong when it's right there on the page for all to see.)

You're assuming that the only type of evidence is the evidence that validates a prediction of a scientific hypothesis. This is what you are failing to grasp. Also, all evidence (including scientific evidence) is subject to intepretation.

nigelTheBold wrote:
But really, anyone who believes they have a special truth based on subjective experience of self-awareness is narcissistic. They automatically assume they have some special ability that many others lack that gives them special truths. They believe they are automatically right, and others are automatically wrong.

That's narcissism.

Just because an individual is tone deaf and incapable of differentiating between musical tones does not negate the subjective truth that I can. That you miscontrue this for narcissism simply reveals that you really don't know what the term means. Either that, or you're actually tone deaf yourself (metaphorically speaking, of course) and jealous of anyone who has a modicum of musical ability. In this case, you really do know what the term means and you are demonstrating this understanding by projecting your insecurities onto others.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Answers in Gene Simmons

... if you have a link for that ...

Soz. I don't have a link.

I'll look around for it, but
I expect lots of hits, and it's not that important to me to spend hours looking through them.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Paisley

treat2 wrote:
Paisley wrote:
...If you say that universe is conscious or that consciousness is a fundamental aspect of mass/energy, then it most certainly does imply a God-concept. It's called pantheism.
For the Pantheist, god doesn't act with conscious intent, nor is the pantheist god a conscious being, nor nor is the pantheist god self-aware. In short, 6he idea of a conscious god is a that of a "personal" god, not a "non-personal" god, as in Pantheismm.

There are two things that I have little toleration for. 

1) Individuals who publicly profess to be atheists, but who are actually pantheists (e.g. Sam Harris).

2) Individuals who publicly profess to be pantheists, but who are actually atheists (e.g. Paul Harrison)

This is why I have passionately argued in this thread that the minimum requirement for a God-concept is consciousness. This is what separates true pantheism from false pantheism. If your God is not sentient, then you are an atheist. On the other hand, if you somehow imply that the universe is conscious, then you are pantheist. It's that simple.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:treat2

Paisley wrote:

treat2 wrote:
Paisley wrote:
For the Pantheist, god doesn't act with conscious intent, nor is the pantheist god a conscious being, nor nor is the pantheist god self-aware. In short, 6he idea of a conscious god is a that of a "personal" god, not a "non-personal" god, as in Pantheismm.

There are two things that I have little toleration for. 

1) Individuals who publicly profess to be atheists, but who are actually pantheists (e.g. Sam Harris).

2) Individuals who publicly profess to be pantheists, but who are actually atheists (e.g. Paul Harrison)

This is why I have passionately argued in this thread that the minimum requirement for a God-concept is consciousness. This is what separates true pantheism from false pantheism. If your God is not sentient, then you are an atheist. On the other hand, if you somehow imply that the universe is conscious, then you are pantheist. It's that simple.

Despite your intolerance and passionate arguments, a Pantheist god is NOT "consciousness" of anything.

The Pantheist god is not a deity. Period.

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:I associate

Paisley wrote:

I associate the term "awareness" with my first-person perspective of subjective experience. For without "awareness," I would not be able to have any experiences whatsover. It is the basis for all experiences. I was assuming that you had the same experience and were therefore able to make the same connection. Evidently, this is not case. So, what exactly are you not grasping here? Were do we disagree?

I haven't really been in this discussion, so we'd have to rewind quite a bit. 

You believe that consciousness isn't merely a product of our brain, but instead, is supernatural, right?

So, to be "aware" or have "awareness," you simply need to be able to experience the external world from a first-person perspective?

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle wrote:I haven't

butterbattle wrote:
I haven't really been in this discussion, so we'd have to rewind quite a bit.... consciousness ...

Your not alone. Paisley and others came later on.

In fact, the "consciousness"
business also came from a late poster.

I've only made a few million posts about the Pantheist definition of god for that same reason.

The original thought of the thread poster was to come up with a single all-inclusive definition of god. Only problem as was later realized
is it's not possible.

The Pantheist idea of god keeps blowing everyone out of the water. Can't say anyone's been happy about my posts, but if they were, there wouldn't be much point in my participation, as usual.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:You're

Paisley wrote:

You're assuming that the only type of evidence is the evidence that validates a prediction of a scientific hypothesis. This is what you are failing to grasp. Also, all evidence (including scientific evidence) is subject to intepretation.

No, the only evidence is evidence that is universally observable. Any observations that can only be made and interpreted by a single person is not evidence of anything objective.

Quote:

Just because an individual is tone deaf and incapable of differentiating between musical tones does not negate the subjective truth that I can. That you miscontrue this for narcissism simply reveals that you really don't know what the term means. Either that, or you're actually tone deaf yourself (metaphorically speaking, of course) and jealous of anyone who has a modicum of musical ability. In this case, you really do know what the term means and you are demonstrating this understanding by projecting your insecurities onto others.

Answer these simple questions, and we'll determine if you mean what you say, or if you are just blowing smoke (as per usual): do you believe that UFOs visit the earth and abduct people? Do you believe in bigfoot? In mothman? In the monster under the bed?

Anonymouse
atheist
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:Answer

nigelTheBold wrote:

Answer these simple questions, and we'll determine if you mean what you say, or if you are just blowing smoke

Good luck with that.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Paisley wrote:Universal

Paisley wrote:

Wait ... did you just give us something? Wonderful!

Since I can differentiate my consciousness from other people's consciousness (I've seen other people unconscious, meaning I was conscious when they were not), you must be talking about a different type of consciousness. My consciousness is not the same as yours is, so in what sense do we share a "consciousness"?

Paisley wrote:
HisWillness wrote:
I just had a revelation, and it's that your god wears a giant multi-coloured sombrero. It's ... really awesome.

Smart-aleck comments like these do not help you or your cause.

Who said I have a cause? When I say I know something about your god, I have just as much to back up what I'm saying as you do.

He's wearing cowboy boots right now. They don't really match the sombrero, but the pants do. It's a nice ensemble.

Paisley
Theist
Paisley's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Paisley

treat2 wrote:

Paisley wrote:

This is why I have passionately argued in this thread that the minimum requirement for a God-concept is consciousness. This is what separates true pantheism from false pantheism. If your God is not sentient, then you are an atheist. On the other hand, if you somehow imply that the universe is conscious, then you are pantheist. It's that simple.

Despite your intolerance and passionate arguments, a Pantheist god is NOT "consciousness" of anything. The Pantheist god is not a deity. Period.

This is the whole point. If the pantheist God is not a deity, then it really isn't a god! Why do atheist materialists feel compelled to employ the "G" word? Answer: Their worldview is so spiritually bankrupt that this is the only way they can peddle it to an uninformed public. IOW, they deliberately use deception in order to sell atheistic materialism under the guise of pantheism. It's pathetic!

If you deny the reality of the Spirit, then you really can't have a spiritual worldview. Employing deceptive semantics will not change this fact.

The controversy involving the term has resulted in the  emergence of two different forms of pantheism: "classical pantheism" and "naturalistic pantheism." (And I believe these terms are in themselves very misleading.) Classical pantheists believe in a conscious God. Naturalistic pantheists do not (and, as such, they really don't believe in a God at all). 

Quote:
Perhaps the most significant debate within the pantheistic community is about the nature of God. Classical pantheism believes in a personal, conscious, and omniscient God, and sees this God as uniting all true religions. Naturalistic pantheism believes in an unconscious, non-sentient Universe, which, while being holy and beautiful, is seen as being a God in a non-traditional and impersonal sense

(source: Wikipedia: Pantheism)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantheism

Naturalistic pantheism is not really pantheism - a term which literally means that "God is All". Naturalistic pantheism is nothing more than atheistic materialism employing deceptive semantics in a vain attempt to justify a spiritually impoverished worldview.  

Quote:
Opponents of naturalistic pantheism allege that it constitutes an intentional misuse of terminology, and an attempt to justify atheism by mislabeling it as pantheism. They claim that naturalistic pantheists believe no more that nature, the universe, and everything are all God, than secular humanists actually believe that human beings are all gods.

(source: Wikipedia: Naturalistic pantheism)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_pantheism

Naturalistic pantheism is an anti-theistic philosophy for "tree hugging" atheists.

Quote:
Naturalistic pantheism places little emphasis on the concept of God. This raises the concern that it is really no longer pantheism at all, but something more like "spiritual naturalism" or "feel-good atheism". After all, these critics ask, if you remove the concept of God from your philosophy, what is the purpose of using the term "pantheism?" It is charged that the etymology of the word reveals it is inappropriately used in describing an anti-theist philosophy.

(source: Wikipedia: Naturalistic pantheism)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naturalistic_pantheism

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
I can't account for your

I can't account for your need for religion, nor a Pantheists need for the same.

Whatever you might think of the Pantheist definitions god
which go back thousands of years, and have evolved further than Wiki mentioned, as in the case of Scientific Pantheism, you and them
both share a need for a religion, dogma, and god(s).

That's distinctly different than Atheism.