The A Words

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
The A Words

In the simplest sense, atheism and agnosticism are reactions to gods and thinking you know stuff. They have to be reactions, by their historical and social context.

Theist: "There is a god"

Atheist: "You're full of shit"

Agnostic (or "weak" ) atheist: "I'm pretty sure you're full of shit"

Gnostic (or "strong" ) atheist: "I know you're full of shit"

The reason I've been going on about the lack of functional difference between the two last versions is that I'm trying to emphasize that there's no reason to be specific about telling a theist that they're full of shit, when they can't be specific enough to tell you what they're talking about when they mean "a god".

I contend that it's enough to say "You're full of shit" based solely on the nonsense term "god". Any further qualification on the part of the atheist comes only from the confusion of having to deal with a nonsensical statement in the first place.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I don't disagree with you,

I don't disagree with you, Will.  Functionally, there's no difference between weak and strong atheists because functionally, there's no difference between any two theists -- they're all using a word that has no coherent meaning.

Philosophically, I think there is a difference, in that someone like you, who is taking the strong position, is not giving ground on what theists think they mean.  In fact, we could illustrate strong and weak atheism this way:

Weak atheist:  Ok... I think I get what I think you might think you're talking about, and I'm not going to rule it out completely.

Strong atheist:  You have no fucking clue what you're talking about.  Go away.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Weak

But for the weak atheist, there's still the question of what is being ruled out. I could rephrase your versions thusly:

Weak: you think you know what you're talking about, but you don't, but I'm still willing to consider it (what, exactly?)

Strong: you don't know what you're talking about.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I'll go with that, Will.

I'll go with that, Will.  In all fairness, for most people, I think weak atheism would be the appropriate position, though.  Outside of geek forums like this, how many people do you know that could teach a class on basic epistemology?  How many times in your life have you heard something like this?  "Dude, I was listening to this guy on TV, and he said there was this gizmo that.. you know... the whirly thing that does the... you know... oh hell, I can't remember exactly what it was, but it has something to do with science."

The thing is, most of the time, people who say things like that really are talking about something that exists, they just have no fucking clue what they're talking about.  For someone who hasn't spent an awful lot of time thinking about the foundation of knowledge, life experience would give them the intuitive impression that people who talk about god and make no sense are just confused, but still possibly talking about a real thing.

I'd say strong atheism in the way you mean it would have to be reserved for people with some serious chops to back up their position.  Otherwise, they'll just look foolish when their mouths start moving.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:I'll go

Hambydammit wrote:
I'll go with that, Will.  In all fairness, for most people, I think weak atheism would be the appropriate position, though.  Outside of geek forums like this, how many people do you know that could teach a class on basic epistemology?  How many times in your life have you heard something like this?  "Dude, I was listening to this guy on TV, and he said there was this gizmo that.. you know... the whirly thing that does the... you know... oh hell, I can't remember exactly what it was, but it has something to do with science."

Haha! But then you're just describing someone who's ignorant or inarticulate! "Agnostic" means "can't ever know", not "doesn't know". But if "agnostic atheist" means someone who doesn't have the capacity to use logic, then we're just being nice with our labels of atheists, not even at the point of considering the concepts of theists. We don't mean "stupid atheists", surely.

Hamby wrote:
The thing is, most of the time, people who say things like that really are talking about something that exists, they just have no fucking clue what they're talking about.

Right. That would be "ignorance". "Agnostic" would refer to something that could never be known by anybody (which is how Huxley meant it, in that the problem is intractable). Even being partially ignorant, our ignorant atheist was able to furnish us with "gizmo" and "whirly thing", meaning certain parts of the gizmo were not beyond his grasp.

Hamby wrote:
For someone who hasn't spent an awful lot of time thinking about the foundation of knowledge, life experience would give them the intuitive impression that people who talk about god and make no sense are just confused, but still possibly talking about a real thing.

But this is why I find the whole label silly. It only seems to function as a way to say "my belief lacks clarity". But the only reason the belief lacks clarity is that they were tricked by the theistic position! It's really just a trick of language.

Hamby wrote:
I'd say strong atheism in the way you mean it would have to be reserved for people with some serious chops to back up their position.  Otherwise, they'll just look foolish when their mouths start moving.

But merely acknowleging that the topic is nonsense is all that's required. It's not socially expedient (which is probably the reason this talk of agnosticism persists) but it's correct. If we're talking nonsense, logic doesn't apply. If logic doesn't apply, there's no argument to be had. Even intuitive arguments rely on a simple logic, and simple logic is all that's required.

Atheist: If god can't be defined, you're talking nonsense

Theist: Just because I can't define god doesn't mean the thing it references doesn't exist

Atheist: But then what are you saying exists, something you're not referencing?

That's the case for the weak atheist. For the strong atheist ...

Atheist: There are no gods

Theist: How can you say that? You don't know if what I've defined could possibly exist.

Atheist: No, what you've described as a god can't exist, because it contradicts itself to the point where we wouldn't even be saying anything exists if we said your thingee existed anyway.

Ta-daaaa!

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:But for

HisWillness wrote:

But for the weak atheist, there's still the question of what is being ruled out. I could rephrase your versions thusly:

Weak: you think you know what you're talking about, but you don't, but I'm still willing to consider it (what, exactly?)

Strong: you don't know what you're talking about.

So the difference between weak vs. strong is just a matter style? The weak atheist is just trying not to offend?

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:So the difference

EXC wrote:

So the difference between weak vs. strong is just a matter style? The weak atheist is just trying not to offend?

Pretty much. I see no reason to accommodate nonsense except as a matter of social expedience.

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Pretty

HisWillness wrote:

Pretty much. I see no reason to accommodate nonsense except as a matter of social expedience.

Either that or they harbour a secret god-belief! Hahahahaha.

Sorry. You just said "nonsense," and it reminded me of someone. And, I'm living on corn dogs and three hours of sleep, so I'm easily self-amused.

I am convinced, though. Between you and The Daily Show, I think I've decided my new atheist attitude is going to be, "No. Fuck you. No disrespect." That way I can be simultaneously direct and socially expedient.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 With the disclaimer that I

With the disclaimer that I think I agree with you, and am just trying to be a jackass, I think there could still be a useful distinction.

Back when we were having the whole "Theism is irrational" debate, several of us, myself included, bent over backwards to concede that theism can be rational if a person is misinformed or ignorant.  To take theism out of it, consider a person who is the victim of an elaborate hoax.  His parents, siblings, friends, and work associates are all in on the deal, and they've set him up to believe that, say... the TV star who went to high school with him saw his picture in a yearbook and remembered that she'd had a crush on him, and was sending a limo to pick him up for a date.

If everybody around him swore that it was true, and he had no evidence to the contrary, it would be rational for him to believe it, even though at first glance, it sounded far-fetched.  Corroborating evidence lends plausibility.

In the same way, someone who has been raised only by theists, like the Phelps family compound, might be literally prevented from ever having enough knowledge to question the existence of God.  In this case, we could only call their belief in God rational.

To take this back to atheism, I think there is a real distinction to be made if a person doesn't have the current capability to recognize that "God" is an incoherent term.  While it's true that they are simply ignorant of the facts, they are not in an epistemological position to justify strong atheism.  In the bubble that is their universe, all they can do is say that they see no evidence for this thing everybody else is saying exists.

The universal reality is that "god" is nonsense, and cannot be addressed in any meaningful way.  The local reality is that many people, through ignorance or bad logic, perceive the question to be sensical, and so must, if they are to be philosophically justified despite their factual error, be weak atheists.

The final insult, of course, is that you, in proclaiming that "god" is definitely incoherent, are proclaiming a local truth, insofar as you cannot prove that you are not mistaken or ignorant.  Obviously, we get into the brain in the vat problem if we go down this road, but for each of the attributes of "God" on which theists might be mistaken, there is a conceivable way in which God could exist and be coherent:

Omnipotent might actually be "really, really fucking smart, but not technically knowing everything."

Omnipowerful might actually be "really fucking powerful, but limited by some external constraint, though the limits are virtually meaningless from the human perspective."

They might just be wrong about the whole "all just" and "all merciful" bit.

So, perhaps there's a multiverse, and we really are a cosmic experiment for a super-high-school-lab-experiment thingy.  Perhaps the theists are onto something, but are just disastrously wrong in how they're interpreting it.

This is a bend-over-backwards way to give them any credibility at all, but if there is any credibility to be had -- even very dubious credibility -- then the concept is not total nonsense and weak atheism is at least epistemologically, if not practically justified.

Books about atheism

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:"No. Fuck

nigelTheBold wrote:

"No. Fuck you. No disrespect."

I like that but you should drop the "No disrespect" part. It isn't needed and it's a lie.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Theist:

HisWillness wrote:

Well, at least you got right the first two of the four.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: With the

Hambydammit wrote:

With the disclaimer that I think I agree with you, and am just trying to be a jackass, I think there could still be a useful distinction.

Back when we were having the whole "Theism is irrational" debate, several of us, myself included, bent over backwards to concede that theism can be rational if a person is misinformed or ignorant.  To take theism out of it, consider a person who is the victim of an elaborate hoax.  His parents, siblings, friends, and work associates are all in on the deal, and they've set him up to believe that, say... the TV star who went to high school with him saw his picture in a yearbook and remembered that she'd had a crush on him, and was sending a limo to pick him up for a date.

If everybody around him swore that it was true, and he had no evidence to the contrary, it would be rational for him to believe it, even though at first glance, it sounded far-fetched.  Corroborating evidence lends plausibility.

In the same way, someone who has been raised only by theists, like the Phelps family compound, might be literally prevented from ever having enough knowledge to question the existence of God.  In this case, we could only call their belief in God rational.

To take this back to atheism, I think there is a real distinction to be made if a person doesn't have the current capability to recognize that "God" is an incoherent term.  While it's true that they are simply ignorant of the facts, they are not in an epistemological position to justify strong atheism.  In the bubble that is their universe, all they can do is say that they see no evidence for this thing everybody else is saying exists.

The universal reality is that "god" is nonsense, and cannot be addressed in any meaningful way.  The local reality is that many people, through ignorance or bad logic, perceive the question to be sensical, and so must, if they are to be philosophically justified despite their factual error, be weak atheists.

The final insult, of course, is that you, in proclaiming that "god" is definitely incoherent, are proclaiming a local truth, insofar as you cannot prove that you are not mistaken or ignorant.  Obviously, we get into the brain in the vat problem if we go down this road, but for each of the attributes of "God" on which theists might be mistaken, there is a conceivable way in which God could exist and be coherent:

Omnipotent might actually be "really, really fucking smart, but not technically knowing everything."

Omnipowerful might actually be "really fucking powerful, but limited by some external constraint, though the limits are virtually meaningless from the human perspective."

They might just be wrong about the whole "all just" and "all merciful" bit.

So, perhaps there's a multiverse, and we really are a cosmic experiment for a super-high-school-lab-experiment thingy.  Perhaps the theists are onto something, but are just disastrously wrong in how they're interpreting it.

This is a bend-over-backwards way to give them any credibility at all, but if there is any credibility to be had -- even very dubious credibility -- then the concept is not total nonsense and weak atheism is at least epistemologically, if not practically justified.

Oh god. As much as I'd like to, I'm not gonna bother with this blog. There's way too much that's off in left field .
I'm not gonna write a blog to explain it, as it would take hours, and it ain't worth it.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:...Gnostic

HisWillness wrote:
...Gnostic (or "strong" ) atheist: "I know you're full of shit"

Here's for staeters...

These links below will shed some light on why the above definition of Gnosticism is in left field.

(Links to: A library of Gnostic texts, and
both link to the philosophy of Gnosticism.)

http://www.gnosis.org/library.html http://www.spiritpathways.com/gnosis.html

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

treat, why do you call every post a blog?

Just curious.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:HisWillness

treat2 wrote:
HisWillness wrote:
Here's for staeters... These links below will shed some light on why the above definition of Gnosticism is in left field. (Links to: A library of Gnostic texts, and both link to the philosophy of Gnosticism.) http://www.gnosis.org/library.html http://www.spiritpathways.com/gnosis.html

Treat, could you please stop being a pylon? That's two posts of no content, and this one for Gnostic Christianity.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:With the

Hambydammit wrote:

That kind of being a jackass is just part of the game, and this is a fun discussion. I love how atheists apparently make better apologists than apologists.

Hamby wrote:

What's funny is that I can summarize the above as "weak atheism is for suckers".

Hamby wrote:

Not so fast! I said that it's a back-and-forth thing: either we have a brain-in-a-vat scenario, in which case we would ALL be agnostic, so there's no point in the word, or the definition is ridiculous, in which case there's no reason to go limp about your disbelief. Keep in mind we're disbelieving the theist, not really the god. That's where the linguistical trick is that we get stuck with. There are no gods to disbelieve, only theists.

In the case where we have a brain-in-a-vat, we're all agnostic, regardless of theism or atheism, and in the case of inconsistent definitions, there's absolutely no reason to believe what a theist is saying, because they won't even stick to a definition.

You don't just "lack a belief in god", you actually disbelieve the theist's position. The whole thing is still confusing because of the bait-and-switch nature of the word mentioned before.

The fact that theists get to change their position all around any time they like leads the weak atheist to believe that since they can't anticipate every single odd scenario that a theist can come up with, that the theist has a point! Oh my God, we're all a brain in a vat!

But notice that the only way a theist can create their unknowable creature is by abandoning any previous definition of gods that we may have learned. If we can't know anything about these gods, then there's no way we could have learned anything about them at all. If we can learn something about them, then we can know something about them, and there's a place where the rubber meets the road: some part of them is physical, and obeys physical laws.

Hamby wrote:
So, perhaps there's a multiverse, and we really are a cosmic experiment for a super-high-school-lab-experiment thingy.

Brain-in-a-vat, everyone's agnostic, theist or atheist.

Hamby wrote:
Perhaps the theists are onto something, but are just disastrously wrong in how they're interpreting it.

There isn't even a case where they could be accidentally correct if their interpretation is self-conflicting.

Hamby wrote:

Nope. Lacking a belief in something that could never be known is a given for anyone who isn't just making shit up.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Keep in mind we're

Quote:
Keep in mind we're disbelieving the theist, not really the god.

AHA!

That makes a big difference, and I don't think I'd wrapped my brain around this idea.  If we're counting theists as the only source of evidence for god, then I agree with you.  The next question to ask, then, is whether anybody who is not a theist can give us a reason to question the existence of a god.

That question isn't as flippant as it might seem.  Consider something like the Loch Ness Monster.  Most serious paleontologists don't give the idea of an extant dinosaur any real consideration, but once enough tin foil hatters say they've seen the damn thing, the only responsible thing is to go out there with equipment and look for it.

Since the god concept has been around so long, and so many people claim to have interacted with the thing, do we have an epistemological obligation to search for it, even though everybody who talks about it is wearing a tin foil hat?

Quote:
 That's where the linguistical trick is that we get stuck with. There are no gods to disbelieve, only theists.

This leads us to an important question.  Are we talking about epistemology or linguistics?  If it's just a trick of language, I have no problem agreeing with you whole-heartedly.  However, I have to wonder if the concept itself merits discussion on its own.  Again, I have to return to the whirly thingy some dude saw.  While it's clear that "whirly" and "thingy" do have meaning, and might point us to something real, it's also true that "being" and "powerful" and "loving" also have meaning, and people might just be very confused about "spiritual" and "all-powerful" and such.

At what point do we have the obligation to investigate claims that appear to be incoherent?  I mean... shit... two thirds of the world's population seem to believe that this thing exists.  I'm not suggesting we have to spend our lives thinking about it, but doesn't it at least deserve a cursory glance?

Quote:
In the case where we have a brain-in-a-vat, we're all agnostic, regardless of theism or atheism, and in the case of inconsistent definitions, there's absolutely no reason to believe what a theist is saying, because they won't even stick to a definition.

I believe agnostic is a completely useless word.  If there are no gods, then saying a person is agnostic is equivalent to saying they're a person.

Of course, the brain in a vat reduction is also pretty pointless, but what I'm suggesting is that, like the Loch Ness Monster, "god" is something that so many people claim to have experienced that whether it's legitimate or not, we have an epistemological obligation to examine the evidence, such as it is.  Just looking at two thirds of the earth's population and saying, "Sorry, you're full of shit" may be technically the correct thing to do, but practically...

(Goddamn, I'm starting to sound like Michael Shermer.  I need to cut this devil's advocate thing out pretty soon or I'm going to start spontaneously generating pussies, like when the South Park boys got their panties in a twist over baby cows.)

Quote:
You don't just "lack a belief in god", you actually disbelieve the theist's position. The whole thing is still confusing because of the bait-and-switch nature of the word mentioned before.

I agree.  The bait and switch is a real son of a bitch.  I guess it's really a matter of when to put your foot down and demand to see the man behind the curtain.

Quote:
But notice that the only way a theist can create their unknowable creature is by abandoning any previous definition of gods that we may have learned. If we can't know anything about these gods, then there's no way we could have learned anything about them at all. If we can learn something about them, then we can know something about them, and there's a place where the rubber meets the road: some part of them is physical, and obeys physical laws.

So... should we refuse dialog at all until a coherent definition is presented?

(That's a very serious question.)

Quote:
There isn't even a case where they could be accidentally correct if their interpretation is self-conflicting.

But their interpretation might be what's wrong.  Their self-conflicting definition might be refering to something internally consistent that they can't articulate because they're stupid.

This is the one point I'm having trouble getting past.  Here's what we know:

1) Literally billions of people claim to experience this thing.  (Yeah, I know, appeal to numbers.)

2) They all have similar descriptions which are apparently all internally contradictory.

3) It is not unfathomable that a thing might exist which is being experienced by billions of people, but due to some unknown constraint or other, is being universally misinterpreted.

That, I think, is the justification of weak atheism.  Is it bending over backwards?  Yes.  Is it indefensible?  Certainly not.

Quote:
Nope. Lacking a belief in something that could never be known is a given for anyone who isn't just making shit up.

I guess the difference here is akin to Dennett's discussion of the "theoretically possible" versus the "physically possible."  Maybe that's the real divide?  Weak atheism addresses the theoretical while strong addresses the physical?

Books about atheism

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

But their interpretation might be what's wrong.  Their self-conflicting definition might be refering to something internally consistent that they can't articulate because they're stupid.

1) Literally billions of people claim to experience this thing.  (Yeah, I know, appeal to numbers.)

2) They all have similar descriptions which are apparently all internally contradictory.

3) It is not unfathomable that a thing might exist which is being experienced by billions of people, but due to some unknown constraint or other, is being universally misinterpreted.

That, I think, is the justification of weak atheism.  Is it bending over backwards?  Yes.  Is it indefensible?  Certainly not.

Can't help explicitly interjecting here the most obvious 'explanation' for that set of observations is that the experience being labelled God is a basic misfiring or side-effect of a common brain circuitry, evolved for good reasons in our more primitive past. I am sure you recognize that, I just feel it should be made a bit more explicit, further removing the available space for, or crowding out, legitimate  'weak atheism'.

IOW I keep thinking that most likely the 'thing [that] might exist' is this bit of innate brain organization.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just read an interview with

Just read an interview with David Attenborough in New Scientist of May 16:

Quote:

While Attenborough has no truck with those who attribute the wonders of nature to a creator, he is reluctant to call himself an atheist. "I'm not, because, with due respect to Richard Dawkins who is a friend and who I admire, that doesn't seem to me a scientific statement. Often when I open a termite's nest and see thousands of blind organisms working away that lack the sense mechanism to see me, I can't help thinking maybe there's a sense mechanism I'm missing, that there's someone around who created this. We cannot discount that. But I don't know."

Obviously a classic 'weak atheist'.

His attitude to a 'God' is clear in this response:

Quote:

(Question): When you look at the wonders of nature, such as spiders' webs, wouldn't the suggestion of a designer or creator be a more reasonable explanation than evolution?

People say: "How you can see hummingbirds, roses, and orchids and not believe in the Lord's splendour"? But if you're going to look at those things, you should look at other things, too.

Imagine an African boy with a parasitic worm boring into his eye. If you tell me God not only created but cares for us all, what about that boy? Are you telling me he says: "I understand. God deliberately created a worm that's going to blind me"? I find that intolerable.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:
Keep in mind we're disbelieving the theist, not really the god.

AHA!

That makes a big difference, and I don't think I'd wrapped my brain around this idea.  If we're counting theists as the only source of evidence for god, then I agree with you.

Well yeah. I mean, in the case that there's no way of learning about gods, then the theist would necessarily be making stuff up. After all, there would be no way to learn something that cannot be known. That would also cover our brain-in-a-vat gods. If there's a way to know about gods, and someone has, then they're probably theists. But they'd be describing something something physical, which we couldln't be sure is actually a god.

Hamby wrote:
The next question to ask, then, is whether anybody who is not a theist can give us a reason to question the existence of a god.

Haha! Right, if theists are the only ones with access to evidence. But that's questionable as well (and another excellent illustration of the usual apologetic argument that only those to whom the truth has been revealed really understand). How can there exist evidence that is said to be only reserved to certain people, but it just happens to be learned from another theist? Theists disagree about the nature of gods all the time, even within the same religion. Between religions, there are gods without any matching characteristics.

Hamby wrote:
That question isn't as flippant as it might seem.  Consider something like the Loch Ness Monster.  Most serious paleontologists don't give the idea of an extant dinosaur any real consideration, but once enough tin foil hatters say they've seen the damn thing, the only responsible thing is to go out there with equipment and look for it.

That would be a physical thing, though. That's not a god. I have to keep shutting down these analogues to reinforce just how unusual the god concept really is. If it were physical, we could search for it, and we'd be able to learn something about it. If we can't know anything about it, then there's no search.

Hamby wrote:
Since the god concept has been around so long, and so many people claim to have interacted with the thing, do we have an epistemological obligation to search for it, even though everybody who talks about it is wearing a tin foil hat?

No, because we wouldn't know what we're searching for.

Hamby wrote:
This leads us to an important question.  Are we talking about epistemology or linguistics?  If it's just a trick of language, I have no problem agreeing with you whole-heartedly.  However, I have to wonder if the concept itself merits discussion on its own.  Again, I have to return to the whirly thingy some dude saw.  While it's clear that "whirly" and "thingy" do have meaning, and might point us to something real, it's also true that "being" and "powerful" and "loving" also have meaning, and people might just be very confused about "spiritual" and "all-powerful" and such.

"Being" and "powerful" and "loving" only make sense when applied to something that is physical, because we have those words to refer to something physical. As todangst put it, we must borrow from the physical in order to describe the extra-physical, when there's no reason to assume that the extra-physical can even be "loving" or "powerful". In the case where the words are merely semi-referential, then we don't know what we're applying them to or how, so regardless of whether or not this is a linguistical problem, a word keeps getting introduced

Hamby wrote:
At what point do we have the obligation to investigate claims that appear to be incoherent?

We couldn't investigate them even if we did feel an obligation.

Hamby wrote:
Of course, the brain in a vat reduction is also pretty pointless, but what I'm suggesting is that, like the Loch Ness Monster, "god" is something that so many people claim to have experienced that whether it's legitimate or not, we have an epistemological obligation to examine the evidence, such as it is.

But we can't apply the evidence to anything if the thing we're applying the evidence to is inconsistent.

Hamby wrote:
So... should we refuse dialog at all until a coherent definition is presented?

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The statement "God exists" is begging the question. It eats its own tail.

Hamby wrote:
Quote:

In that case, what are they referring to? Something they can't define! So again, it's either undefinable, or the definition is internally wrong.

Hamby wrote:

You mean there are ocassionally descriptions that overlap, because there are tons of different descriptions of gods that don't match, and tons of different feelings experienced by theists.

Hamby wrote:

These people don't know what they're experiencing, then. I have no problem with them saying they're experiencing a feeling. What they're saying is that they're experiencing a "god" instead of a feeling. But if we're saying that they're "universally misinterpreting", then they don't know what they're saying, and the theist is just as agnostic as the atheist.

Hamby wrote:
I guess the difference here is akin to Dennett's discussion of the "theoretically possible" versus the "physically possible."  Maybe that's the real divide?  Weak atheism addresses the theoretical while strong addresses the physical?

That's actually why the argument is two-pronged: in the case that a god is physically possible, we're saying we'd be able to test it, and it is subject to logic. That means a coherent definition would have to be applied before we could know anything about it, otherwise we couldn't know anything about it.

In the case that gods are merely theoretically possible, and outside of the rules of logic, we'd have to say by what standard we determine things are theoretically possible when we have to throw out all logic and consistency. We'd be saying that a four-sided triangle exists.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:Hambydammit

BobSpence1 wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Can't help explicitly interjecting here the most obvious 'explanation' for that set of observations is that the experience being labelled God is a basic misfiring or side-effect of a common brain circuitry, evolved for good reasons in our more primitive past.

Right. And even before that, we're all human. We believe in "love", despite the fact that it refers to a whole bunch of different things. But at least there, we know that we're discussing behaviour.

Here, I'm moving away from the "more likely scenario", which would be appropriate when dealing with reasonable people, to a more direct "meaninglessness" argument, which can be discussed with people who are in the throes of apologetic arguments.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
I also can't help extending

I also can't help extending this whole business of people going through contorted 'logic' and conflated word definitions to more general 'philosophical' and metaphysical discussions. The way words like 'possible' and 'conceivable' are used in many of these arguments, as in 'all possible worlds' annoy me intensely. They seem to me so typically unrelated to scientific reality/plausibility that such discussions are of no more meaning than the classic 'how many angels can dance on the head of a pin'.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:I also

BobSpence1 wrote:
I also can't help extending this whole business of people going through contorted 'logic' and conflated word definitions to more general 'philosophical' and metaphysical discussions. The way words like 'possible' and 'conceivable' are used in many of these arguments, as in 'all possible worlds' annoy me intensely. They seem to me so typically unrelated to scientific reality/plausibility that such discussions are of no more meaning than the classic 'how many angels can dance on the head of a pin'.

Exactly, but that's why the scientific mind is particularly sucked into the weak atheist position.

Theist: But you can't know what you can't know if you can't ...

Scientist: Okay, okay! Fuck. If I say I'm agnostic, will you shut up, already?

I'm developing the argument specifically to deal with the unreasonableness of delving into any metaphysical discussions. Can't define your terms? No metaphysical discussion. Thank you, have a nice day.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

Exactly, but that's why the scientific mind is particularly sucked into the weak atheist position.

As with David Attenborough's comment at the end of one of the quotes I gave

Quote:

....I can't help thinking maybe there's a sense mechanism I'm missing, that there's someone around who created this. We cannot discount that. But I don't know.

At least he didn't use the word 'agnostic'.

triften
atheist
triften's picture
User is offlineOffline
I recently clarified my

I recently clarified my position to an non-theist (but would likely use the word "whatever" to describe her stance on religion) as theological non-cognitivism and she summed it up as telling the other person "you're talking gobbledegook." I think that sums up the position but I don't think I could ever approach a conversation that way with the average theist. In fact the one dialogue I've had since sharpening my skills here was with a up to his eyeballs Mormon. In which case, I think you need to approach factual issues and basically tear the claim down from the top.

The non-cognitivism stance takes out the foundation of the claims and, I think, would prevent any dialogue from occuring. You whittle the person down to generic theist or deist, then they might be more receptive to releasing their magical thinking.

-Triften

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 I keep coming back to the

I keep coming back to the multiverse high school chemistry set.  I think this is a plausible -- if not necessarily immediately testable -- cause for doubt.  At least enough to justify weak atheism for someone who really wanted to be philosophically precise.  It offers at least a framework from which to begin considering a physical being who could create a universe and conceivably manipulate it from literally "outside the universe."

I'm not saying I buy it.  I'm saying that it seems a reasonable enough framework on which to build an epistemologically sound weak atheism.  I should also point out that even this concession to weak atheism does absolutely nothing to help Christians or anyone else with their attempts at apologetics.  They're still in the same position they've always been in.  Sure, there exists the tiniest of theoretical cracks through which "something" might slip which could be "god" in the future, but in the present, there is still no reason to believe that such a thing is true.  A "supernatural" god is still incoherent, and all existing god definitions are still internally contradictory.

And really, we're still not talking about "god."  We're talking about the theoretical possibility that theists have stumbled blindly onto something which is not really a god after all.  So, in a sense, I think you're right and the weak atheists are right.  You're correct that "god" really can't exist, but weak atheists are right that "something" might exist outside of our universe with the capability to create our universe.

Books about atheism

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
And of course, even the

And of course, even the possibility of a sentient being in a Metaverse which created 'our' Universe doesn't do anything to answer the question of ultimate origins, which had to be something far simpler and more 'elemental' than a sentient entity, otherwise you have the dreaded but unavoidable 'infinite regress' problem of requiring ever greater beings creating lesser ones.

That is my sticking point to Theists on 'First Cause' and related pathetic excuses for 'proofs' of God. 'Explaining' the ultimate origin of our Universe with an even bigger, totally fabricated, incomprehensible thing is the opposite of an explanation.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Right.  I'm not talking

Right.  I'm not talking about first causes.  I'm basically just playing devil's advocate to be sure there isn't something that a theist could possibly be talking about that would be close enough to some concept of god that weak atheism could be justified.

I agree that only strong atheism is justified once we start insisting that a god defy infinite regress or not be part of some natural system or other.

Books about atheism

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:So, in a

Hambydammit wrote:

So, in a sense, I think you're right and the weak atheists are right.  You're correct that "god" really can't exist, but weak atheists are right that "something" might exist outside of our universe with the capability to create our universe.

So you're okay with the "something" not being a "god"? Because then we're talking about weak a-something-ists, not weak atheists.

Thus ... no gods.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1 wrote:And of

BobSpence1 wrote:
And of course, even the possibility of a sentient being in a Metaverse which created 'our' Universe doesn't do anything to answer the question of 

ultimate

origins, which had to be something far simpler and more 'elemental' than a sentient entity, otherwise you have the dreaded but unavoidable 'infinite regress' problem of requiring ever greater beings creating lesser ones.

Now you're just talking the crazy talk. That stuff isn't even on the menu, but it serves to illustrate the problem of pretending like you know what's "out there" in Nonsenseland.

Bob wrote:
That is my sticking point to Theists on 'First Cause' and related pathetic excuses for 'proofs' of God. 'Explaining' the ultimate origin of our Universe with an even bigger, totally fabricated, incomprehensible thing is the opposite of an explanation.

Haha! Exactly. But it gets crushed under the same linguistical steamroller. Just because you can utter the word "god" doesn't mean it has explanitory power, or references anything. Introducing the noun at all is begging the question. That's pretty telling.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Well, yeah... I'm still

Well, yeah... I'm still working this out, but I think what I'm saying is that IF "god" were to be intelligible as a concept, it would not be in a way that was internally inconsistent or incoherent.  Since "supernatural" is incoherent, and "omni" leads to internal inconsistency, "god" would not have those properties.  In other words, I think justified weak atheism would involve the possibility that any "god" that could exist would necessarily have to fall substantially short of many of the terms theists describe it with now.

From your perspective, I get that you would not want to call that thing "god," but you can't very well say that nobody else would be ok with it... at least, I don't think you can.  Can you?

Books about atheism

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:Haha!

HisWillness wrote:

Haha! Exactly. But it gets crushed under the same linguistical steamroller. Just because you can utter the word "god" doesn't mean it has explanitory power, or references anything. Introducing the noun at all is begging the question. That's pretty telling.

This is similar to my "God is philosophically void" post from a few months back. God is anti-epistemological. Introducing god into any discussion basically brings it to a halt, as "god" can mean pretty much anything, and "explain" pretty much anything. There is no way to have a philosophically-meaningful discussion about the nature of god, let alone introducing the idea of god into any other discussion. It's the ultimate conversation-killer.

"What, god can do anything? Even rationalize the inherent contradictions in the concept of god? Well, then, my job here is finished. No new knowledge can be drawn from that, so go on about your day. Nothing to see here."

I think that's the biggest problem. Most people here in the states assume god exists. Therefore, no new knowledge is necessary. Problem solved, without trying.

And maybe that's the real draw of religion: problem solved, without even trying.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold

nigelTheBold wrote:

HisWillness wrote:

This is similar to my "God is philosophically void" post from a few months back. God is anti-epistemological. Introducing god into any discussion basically brings it to a halt, as "god" can mean pretty much anything, and "explain" pretty much anything. There is no way to have a philosophically-meaningful discussion about the nature of god, let alone introducing the idea of god into any other discussion. It's the ultimate conversation-killer.

"What, god can do anything? Even rationalize the inherent contradictions in the concept of god? Well, then, my job here is finished. No new knowledge can be drawn from that, so go on about your day. Nothing to see here."

I think that's the biggest problem. Most people here in the states assume god exists. Therefore, no new knowledge is necessary. Problem solved, without trying.

And maybe that's the real draw of religion: problem solved, without even trying.

That's close to what I've always thought: religions are a convenient off-the-shelf, pre-packaged world-view that doesn't require the effort of sorting out reality by yourself. IOW it is the 'easy road' to 'truth', ironic since many preachers liked to characterize the path of non-belief as the 'easy' option.

Non-belief may indeed be the easy option for people who are happy to just take life as it comes, but for anyone seriously interested in coming to an understanding of the world, some effort is required if you find the religious options unsatisfying.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
nigelTheBold wrote:And maybe

nigelTheBold wrote:

Bingo.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:treat2

HisWillness wrote:

treat2 wrote:
HisWillness wrote:
Here's for staeters... These links below will shed some light on why the above definition of Gnosticism is in left field. (Links to: A library of Gnostic texts, and both link to the philosophy of Gnosticism.) http://www.gnosis.org/library.html http://www.spiritpathways.com/gnosis.html

Treat, could you please stop being a pylon? That's two posts of no content, and this one for Gnostic Christianity.

Please stop being a dork.

http://www.gnosis.org/library.html http://

doesn't refer to Christian Gnosticism.

It does provide a very comprehensive definition, library of non-Christian Gnostic Texts.

As in other threads, you prefer to post ignorant garbage rather than research topics.

Your persistent hardon for me has drained the blood from your brain.

Cut back on the Viagra and stop wollowing in your ignorance.

If you would read and research you might be able to
moderate intelligently, instead of constantly falling back on garbage.

BobSpence
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
Someone seems to be

Someone seems to be confusing the generic use of the word 'gnostic':

of or relating to knowledge, esp. esoteric mystical knowledge.

with its admittedly more common use, capitalised, as 'Gnostic':

of or relating to Gnosticism.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is onlineOnline
HisWillness wrote:In the

HisWillness wrote:

In the simplest sense, atheism and agnosticism are reactions to gods and thinking you know stuff. They have to be reactions, by their historical and social context.

The reason I've been going on about the lack of functional difference between the two last versions is that I'm trying to emphasize that there's no reason to be specific about telling a theist that they're full of shit, when they can't be specific enough to tell you what they're talking about when they mean "a god".

I contend that it's enough to say "You're full of shit" based solely on the nonsense term "god". Any further qualification on the part of the atheist comes only from the confusion of having to deal with a nonsensical statement in the first place.

There is something even atheists fail to take into account. There is a past, present and future in this equation as well.

I am certain that all past and present claims of deities/super natural are bunk and deserve the same weight as Marvel Comics as far as claims are concerned. In this sense I am a strong atheist.

However, not knowing the future, even though I lean toward strong atheism, the fact is absolute zero cannot be reached, by proxy puts me in the agnostic atheist category in terms of time line.

Having said that, even having not lived in the future, I still don't think I am losing anything by tossing aside claims of super natural, even in regards to the future.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Please stop

treat2 wrote:
Please stop being a dork. http://www.gnosis.org/library.html http:// doesn't refer to Christian Gnosticism.

Oh, I see. So the Gnostic tradition has nothing to do with Christ. I put "gnosis" in quotes to illustrate it as the opposite of Huxley's "agnosis" (from his "agnostic" ).

treat wrote:
It does provide a very comprehensive definition, library of non-Christian Gnostic Texts. As in other threads, you prefer to post ignorant garbage rather than research topics. Your persistent hardon for me has drained the blood from your brain. Cut back on the Viagra and stop wollowing in your ignorance. If you would read and research you might be able to moderate intelligently, instead of constantly falling back on garbage.

You're very angry. I can only recommend counseling.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:There is

Brian37 wrote:

There is something even atheists fail to take into account. There is a past, present and future in this equation as well.

That's a good call: in one of the other threads, I pointed out that all the definitions of gods (obviously in the past) were crap, but didn't account for possible definitions in the future.

Brian wrote:
I am certain that all past and present claims of deities/super natural are bunk and deserve the same weight as Marvel Comics as far as claims are concerned. In this sense I am a strong atheist.

However, not knowing the future, even though I lean toward strong atheism, the fact is absolute zero cannot be reached, by proxy puts me in the agnostic atheist category in terms of time line.

Because you're yet another thoughtful individual who has fallen for a linguistical trap. If the thing that might be defined in the future can be defined coherently, would it still be a god? I haven't found that conceptual gap where we can define something as being a god AND make it also make any kind of sense. You're right to say that it could happen in the future, but we're really bending reality at this point to accommodate this concept.

Brian wrote:
Having said that, even having not lived in the future, I still don't think I am losing anything by tossing aside claims of super natural, even in regards to the future.

Right. You could say "odds are", but since I'm making the strong argument, it's safe to discount the incoherent as perpetually beyond our reach. As such, belief in incoherent things is nonsense, and disbelief in incoherent things is justified by virtue of the fact that you wouldn't know what you were believing anyway.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Just to reiterate, it's my

Just to reiterate, it's my position that the atheist disbelieves the claim of the theist. Gods never seem to show up to have this discussion, so we only get information about gods from theists. We just don't believe their claims.

All you would need to doubt a theist's claim that "a god exists" is the nonsense word "god". If it's something that can't be known, then that's just a statement that can't be confirmed. If it can be defined, then the theist should have an internally consistent definition, or once again, the statement simply can't be confirmed.

When people make unconfirmable claims, it's fair to say they're not making any sense. There would be no reason to believe something that could never be confirmed.