ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sin

What are your thoughts on this concept?

SSBBJunky
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Bogus shit people try to

Bogus shit people try to implant in you so that they're the only ones that can ''fix'' you.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Sin is a nonsense concept.

Sin is a nonsense concept.  As defined, it's just an arbitrary set of rules derived solely on the criterion:  "This pisses god off."

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

heyyall
User is offlineOffline
A form of mind control?

A form of mind control?

scole665
User is offlineOffline
Ah sin

It's not even a valid concept in my world, kind of like a ghost, spontaneous combustion or straight sex. 

god -- I tried you on for size.... you were a little long in the crotch, loose in the waist, short in the length and you made my butt look extra flat. I had to take you back for an exchange.

BostonRedSox
Troll
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:What are your

Bye.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Yaay! Had to be Matt. Had

Yaay!

Had to be Matt. Had to be.

Stoic
Stoic's picture
User is offlineOffline
In my opinion, the people

In my opinion, the people who made these religions knew it was complete crap, but they were smart and wanted to create a perfect world, so in convincing people he(referring "them" to "he" now) is right they will follow what he says. Sin to them is "Don't do this and you go to heaven; eternal peace," sin to whoever thought of it is "Do this, and nothing will happen, but I'll follow it for the people." I believe people who devised religions were atheists, including Jesus. Christianity however was devised from Jesus' magical powers so they would say "Whoa I'm not going to take this guy's word that he's the son of God, he's just being modest, this guy is God he freaking rocks!" So now Jesus in fairy land is saying "Whoa guys, don't praise me... Dad?" all God can say is "Your all the rage now son..." Yeah I kind of went off on a rant there, but you kind of get my point right? Anyway...

Lil' notes for lazy people:

Sin = Order

God = His son?

Properly designed and followed religion = Peace

Designers of religion = Atheist

Christianity = Design taken to seriously

Jesus = Some atheist who knew how to do some "rabbit out of the hat" tricks.

I shouldn't really use the "=" symbol because it's all opinion, I should've used the "~" why didn't I just modify it? I do a lot of strange things.

Dictated but not read.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
heyyall wrote:A form of mind

heyyall wrote:

A form of mind control?

Second.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Stoic wrote:In my opinion,

Stoic wrote:

In my opinion, the people who made these religions knew it was complete crap, but they were smart and wanted to create a perfect world,

For the most part, I disagree with you. Generally speaking, yes, people who invented religions *did* believe in these things they said. That it was a method of control was a mere positive side-effect; kind of like how getting extra protein is a side-effect of practicing animal sacrifice in certain cultures.

The way that they thought they had received the Truth, however, seems surprisingly similar, and may indicate that religious experiences, of all kinds, ultimately come from the same source in the brain. I'm not versed in any neurobiology, however, so I can't say at all if that's true.

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

Stoic
Stoic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Maybe perhaps the religions

Maybe perhaps the religions are based off of one first one, similar to the rest. One that goes back to our first sentient genome.

Dictated but not read.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Nah. Religions of

Nah. Religions of hunter-gatherers or nomads are radically different from the much later agricultural and/or city/town-based religions that grew up once humans started farming year-round. And those evolved over time as well- becoming less about immanent powers of an incomprehensible and arbitrary natural world, and more about abstracted reflections of the natural world, or of the mental processes of humans that had the time and safety to think about such things at length. At which point we can say 'And then came monotheism.' Though if you want a history of *that*.... well.... have you got a few months? Eye-wink It's incredibly complicated.

So basically: It's pretty much impossible to talk about an original religion. It's no more true than the idea that goddess worship (goddess-only, I mean) predates any male deity worship. That was based upon assumptions that had their base in the misinterpretation of artifacts such as the Venus of Willendorf. Archaeologists and anthropologists either ignored or did not have the other types of objects (votive, maybe?) that were common at such sites- there were lots of phallic figurines, for instance, in the same sites. This shows less the possibility of goddess worship, and more the possibility of something akin to what later became known as the 'doctrine of signatures'- the idea that the 'microcosm' of the human form was reflected by the 'macrocosm' of the universe, or world in the case of the ancients (the world was realized to be much bigger over time, as we all know).

OrdinaryClay wrote:
If you don't believe your non-belief then you don't believe and you must not be an atheist.

Stoic
Stoic's picture
User is offlineOffline
Your right, but then, why

Your right, but then, why are these religions and concepts devised and believed? Especially for intelligent people, for example scientists who believe in creationism. The word "creation science" is basically an oxy moron.

Dictated but not read.

JillSwift
Superfan
JillSwift's picture
User is offlineOffline
Sin? easy: First, you need a

Sin? easy:

First, you need a protractor. Create a right triangle ABC with C as the right triangle. Let angle B be your angle. Make rough measurements of the three sides of the triangle. now:
sin B = AC/AB

Easy as Π.

"Anyone can repress a woman, but you need 'dictated' scriptures to feel you're really right in repressing her. In the same way, homophobes thrive everywhere. But you must feel you've got scripture on your side to come up with the tedious 'Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve' style arguments instead of just recognising that some people are different." - Douglas Murray

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, social pressure and

Quote:
Your right, but then, why are these religions and concepts devised and believed? Especially for intelligent people, for example scientists who believe in creationism. The word "creation science" is basically an oxy moron.

Well, social pressure and the enduring dualism of Plato. At base these are the two big reasons why questions of 'Is there *a* god' revolve around the idea of a single transcendent and all-good (or maybe just beyond all good and evil) non-corporeal being. Basically you're looking at it from a post-Christian perspective; before Christianity you'd have other types of views on that sort of thing.

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
OK, I am not onboard

OK, I am not onboard with the idea of sin as spoken of by the current religions. However, I suspect that the idea may be much bigger than that. My concept of sin goes back to before we even had the idea of a spoken language. Basically, it would refer to actions that cause stress and that could have happened differently.

As an example, some of us have had the experience of hitting our thumb with a hammer. It hurts and having done that, we resolve not to do it again. Yet, at the moment that it happens, it can be a natural thing for one to say “that was stupid of me, why did I do that?” If you who are reading this have not done exactly that, I am sure that you can think of an example that merits a similar response.

Now consider primitive societies.

Most of them tend to build around clusters of people who number around 200 individuals. So everyone knows everyone else. Such social groups still exist today where there is some degree of isolation. In such groups, there is a concept of a group morality where if one individual acts in a way that is apart from the interest of the group, they will become outcast from the group. Since that still goes on today, we can be reasonably sure that such is a basic idea.

So now we have a larger idea of “sin”. Act out of what matters to the group and you may not remain part of the group. Again, the act precedes the stress. Even so, avoidance of stress is a powerful motive to act as part of the group.

As societies grow larger, the same idea continues. Once some form of social bureaucracy develops, then the really old idea becomes the idea of using stress avoidance as a method of social control.

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
^That^

^That^

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:D

So far, pretty much everyone that posted has agreed that it is a human construct.

Do any theists care to chip in?

Theism is why we can't have nice things.