Who's shoving religion down your throat?

Anonymous
User is offlineOffline

EXCLUDING TV, polititions, radio, Internet, laws,
etc., etc., etc.... who is directly / personally shoving religion down your throat?

For example... teacher, parents, siblings, co-workers, schoolmates, doctor, etc., etc., etc.

Just wondering if not the latter, what's different about your circumstances than anyone elses.

BTW. Before you post that you were abducted by monks and your suicidal, do yourself a favor and fuckin' jump already... reading that shit's "old".

Cpt_pineapple
atheist
User is offlineOffline
The monks that kidnapped me

The monks that kidnapped me Sad

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
These days

Just my next door neighbour, the Jehovah witnesses in my neighbourhood (just move to a new neighbourhood so gonna have to do the whole I am a nudist how can you be ashamed of your god's creation thing), my former best friend who now I only see on rare occasions like his brother's birthday. That's pretty much about it, where I was previously living for the last 15 years I pretty much got rid of the theists from trying to preach, then again I was living with more hindu's, old italians and portuguese people and they don't bother me at all so it was all good.

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:EXCLUDING TV,

treat2 wrote:
EXCLUDING TV, polititions, radio, Internet, laws, etc., etc., etc.... who is directly / personally shoving religion down your throat?

Currently just random people.

In the past it has included teachers, parents, co-workers, schoolmates, and friends.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Cpt_pineapple wrote:The

Cpt_pineapple wrote:

The monks that kidnapped me Sad

I was one of them!

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Just my

latincanuck wrote:
Just my next door neighbour, the Jehovah witnesses in my neighbourhood... I am a nudist how can you be ashamed of your god's creation thing),...

Return the favor. Offer them some cookies if they'll suck your dick.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
spike.barnett wrote:treat2

spike.barnett wrote:

treat2 wrote:
EXCLUDING TV, polititions, radio, Internet, laws, etc., etc., etc.... who is directly / personally shoving religion down your throat?

In the past it has included teachers, parents, co-workers, schoolmates, and friends.

That's an SOS!

Same Old Shit

iwbiek
atheistSuperfan
iwbiek's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:spike.barnett

treat2 wrote:
spike.barnett wrote:

treat2 wrote:

That's an SOS! Same Old Shit

pretty much all of life for the majority of people on the planet is the same old shit, hoss.

"I have never felt comfortable around people who talk about their feelings for Jesus, or any other deity for that matter, because they are usually none too bright. . . . Or maybe 'stupid' is a better way of saying it; but I have never seen much point in getting heavy with either stupid people or Jesus freaks, just as long as they don't bother me. In a world as weird and cruel as this one we have made for ourselves, I figure anybody who can find peace and personal happiness without ripping off somebody else deserves to be left alone. They will not inherit the earth, but then neither will I. . . . And I have learned to live, as it were, with the idea that I will never find peace and happiness, either. But as long as I know there's a pretty good chance I can get my hands on either one of them every once in a while, I do the best I can between high spots."
--Hunter S. Thompson

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
D:

teachers, parents, the 16 christian organisations on campus like "Campus CRUSADE for Christ" that won't even keep from trying to "win souls" in the restroom...random people everywhere I go. I went to dairy queen for icecream and someone came up forced pamphlets on me. I can't even go out for something without some idiot trying to get in my face. They take up large areas nearly every day of campus (the different christian organisations...which apparently most do not like eachother) for their "activities" of praising god loudly, and playing horrible christian music loudly so no one can do anything but leave the entire area of campus.

Several times a year a whole bunch of people come and stand in front of doors, blocking your way unless you take a little tiny bible from them.

Some buddhists came to the school once, and christians called them satan's minions, harassing them, preaching to them, and eventually forcing them to leave. I felt kind of bad for them, they were just standing there allowing others to ask questions, they weren't even trying to force things on other people. I don't mind that, besides diversity I think might at least help the situation here. It's not like they were in anyone's face, but the christians felt offended by their presence there, and acted like they were being persecuted because of it. Which doesn't really make any sense, but...

Oh yeah, there are megachurches here too, that are bigger than a Walmart or Lowes. They are the biggest buildings in the community, and probably are where all the money goes.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Obviously, for most

Obviously, for most people, family is going to be the big one.  Most of my family is gone now, but I definitely had religion pushed on me by most of my family.  In my remaining family, religion is still a big issue and a problem that probably just won't be overcome.

Over the last few years, I've made a point to try to make lots of atheist friends and have pretty much let what theist friends I had go their own way.  However, when I did have a lot of theist friends, yeah, I took a lot of shit from them.

I'd say on average I get approached two or three times a month by someone selling one Jesus or another on the street.

Other than that, I'd say the only people pushing Jesus on me are the TV, radio, internet, government, churches, and culture in general -- all your excluded agents.  Then again, I really have made an effort to rid my life of theist influence, so I probably feel it a little less than some people.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

hazindu
Superfan
hazindu's picture
User is offlineOffline
I get a shitload of redneck

I get a shitload of redneck chain letters at work.  Everything from non-sequitures about not taking gawd out of the pledge to pray for polititians, to OH NOES! TEH MUSLIMS ARE COMING TEH MUSLIMS ARE COMING, and of course my favorite, an occasional creationist cartoon.

"I've yet to witness circumstance successfully manipulated through the babbling of ritualistic nonsense to an imaginary deity." -- me (josh)

If god can do anything, can he make a hot dog so big even he can't eat all of it?

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:spike.barnett

treat2 wrote:
spike.barnett wrote:

treat2 wrote:

Well since you really didn't specify partents, co-workers, schoomates and friends, just TV, Politicians, radio, internet, laws, etc, etc, etc (kinda vague at the end but hey it's ok) as being excluded, and then come out with same old shit.....well congratulations it's gonna be the same old shit for the majority of people you ask, since the majority of people have family, friends, schoolmates, co-works and probably live in a society that believes in god or follows one of the three major religions in the world. So ya congrats on your powers of deduction there.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
ClockCat wrote:teachers,

ClockCat wrote:

teachers, parents, the 16 christian organisations on campus like "Campus CRUSADE for Christ" that won't even keep from trying to "win souls" in the restroom...random people everywhere I go. I went to dairy queen for icecream and someone came up forced pamphlets on me. I can't even go out for something without some idiot trying to get in my face. They take up large areas nearly every day of campus (the different christian organisations...which apparently most do not like eachother) for their "activities" of praising god loudly, and playing horrible christian music loudly so no one can do anything but leave the entire area of campus.

Several times a year a whole bunch of people come and stand in front of doors, blocking your way unless you take a little tiny bible from them.

Some buddhists came to the school once, and christians called them satan's minions, harassing them, preaching to them, and eventually forcing them to leave. I felt kind of bad for them, they were just standing there allowing others to ask questions, they weren't even trying to force things on other people. I don't mind that, besides diversity I think might at least help the situation here. It's not like they were in anyone's face, but the christians felt offended by their presence there, and acted like they were being persecuted because of it. Which doesn't really make any sense, but...

Oh yeah, there are megachurches here too, that are bigger than a Walmart or Lowes. They are the biggest buildings in the community, and probably are where all the money goes.

What's "D:"?
and
Where you at?

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Obviously, for most people, family is going to be the big one.  Most of my family is gone now, but I definitely had religion pushed on me by most of my family.  In my remaining family, religion is still a big issue and a problem that probably just won't be overcome....

Not unexpected. I lucked out and never had any of it. I'm 3rd generation Atheist.

crazymonkie
Silver Member
crazymonkie's picture
User is offlineOffline
There is no 'Where' with

There is no 'Where' with ClockCat. ClockCat simply is.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
hazindu wrote:I get a

hazindu wrote:

I get a shitload of redneck chain letters at work....

Reminds me of a short stint I did in Bawlimore about 35 years ago. Lots of asshole rednecks. Enough of them that
I learned to hate going more tha 2 hours out of a very large city (far northbound, in another State), as I've
found similar redneck tendencies going southbound of that zone, over a period a several decades.

Lungboy
User is offlineOffline
latincanuck wrote:Just my

latincanuck wrote:

Just my next door neighbour, the Jehovah witnesses in my neighbourhood (just move to a new neighbourhood so gonna have to do the whole I am a nudist how can you be ashamed of your god's creation thing), my former best friend who now I only see on rare occasions like his brother's birthday. That's pretty much about it, where I was previously living for the last 15 years I pretty much got rid of the theists from trying to preach, then again I was living with more hindu's, old italians and portuguese people and they don't bother me at all so it was all good.

I might be able to help you here.  I was raised a JW.  Next time you talk to them, just say this: "I really should level with you, I'm actually an appostate".

Just say that, word for word and your neighbour will never make eye contact with you ever again and likely hide in his house and peek out at you from behind curtains.  It's great.

scole665
User is offlineOffline
Maybe I just don't notice

I don't think it happens enough for me usually. However, driving home from Pizza Hut with my pie and wings (I'll run it off tomorrow) there was a group on the corner yelling through a megaphone about Jesus. I didn't realize what was going on right away since he was blasting his horn in another direction. I didn't really listen and didn't say anything. He was just a Jesus loudmouth annoying most people.

god -- I tried you on for size.... you were a little long in the crotch, loose in the waist, short in the length and you made my butt look extra flat. I had to take you back for an exchange.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Out of curiosity, in what

Out of curiosity, in what State?

Rich Woods
Rational VIP!
Rich Woods's picture
User is offlineOffline
In NYC there is an

In NYC there is an underground walkway that connects the subways at Times Square with the NY/NJ Port Authority on 8th ave... I refer to it as the "Tunnel of Hate".. On a Daily basis I, along with several thousand other commuters am bombarded with religious hate speech from one end of the tunnel to the other...

There is the Fundamentalist Christian Table manned by toothless former drug addicts who insist on handing out pamphlets, and damning us to an eternity of fiery hell through a megaphone should we not be frightened into servitude.  As my thoughts are being invaded by these self indulgent dullards, I actually do pray that if there is indeed a god up there, that if he would allow me to watch the lummox with the megaphone to stagger off the platform in a methadone induced haze and get cut in half by the #3 train that I would convert. Thus far my prayers have not been answered.

The radical Muslims hand out their propagandist newspaper "The Final Call"...they are a delightful group, in a kidney failure kind of way...The Jews for Jesus will badger anyone who makes eye contact from one end of the tunnel to the other unless you make it clear that you are not interested...and the highlight of this gauntlet might just be the intellectually devoid, barely coherant zilches that hand out litterature for "The Tony Alamo Ministries" ...if you're not familiar with this psychopath, look him up...he is a fucking hoot. It amazes me that a guy with this many indictments can still find people to work for free.

There *is* a midget who plays the accordian...he's a cute lil' fella...but the rest of the tunnels  inhabitants  should die in a fire...

spike.barnett
Superfan
spike.barnett's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:That's an SOS!

treat2 wrote:

I realize that coming up with a good insult is difficult for you, but if you want to offend me you're going to have to do better. Cookie cutter crap like that just doesn't cut it. Try something original.

After eating an entire bull, a mountain lion felt so good he started roaring. He kept it up until a hunter came along and shot him.

The moral: When you're full of bull, keep your mouth shut.
MySpace

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:In NYC

Rich Woods wrote:

In NYC there is an underground walkway that connects the subways at Times Square with the NY/NJ Port Authority on 8th ave... I refer to it as the "Tunnel of Hate".. On a Daily basis I, along with several thousand other commuters am bombarded with religious hate speech from one end of the tunnel to the other...The Jews for Jesus will badger anyone who makes eye contact from one end of the tunnel to the other unless you make it clear that you are not interested...

Ah! The Jews for Jesus, they've attempted to "bump into me" about 20 years ago
at the P.A.

Annoying little bastards, eh?

scole665
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Out of

treat2 wrote:
Out of curiosity, in what State?

AZ

latincanuck
atheist
latincanuck's picture
User is offlineOffline
Rich Woods wrote:In NYC

Rich Woods wrote:

In NYC there is an underground walkway that connects the subways at Times Square with the NY/NJ Port Authority on 8th ave... I refer to it as the "Tunnel of Hate".. On a Daily basis I, along with several thousand other commuters am bombarded with religious hate speech from one end of the tunnel to the other...

There is the Fundamentalist Christian Table manned by toothless former drug addicts who insist on handing out pamphlets, and damning us to an eternity of fiery hell through a megaphone should we not be frightened into servitude.  As my thoughts are being invaded by these self indulgent dullards, I actually do pray that if there is indeed a god up there, that if he would allow me to watch the lummox with the megaphone to stagger off the platform in a methadone induced haze and get cut in half by the #3 train that I would convert. Thus far my prayers have not been answered.

The radical Muslims hand out their propagandist newspaper "The Final Call"...they are a delightful group, in a kidney failure kind of way...The Jews for Jesus will badger anyone who makes eye contact from one end of the tunnel to the other unless you make it clear that you are not interested...and the highlight of this gauntlet might just be the intellectually devoid, barely coherant zilches that hand out litterature for "The Tony Alamo Ministries" ...if you're not familiar with this psychopath, look him up...he is a fucking hoot. It amazes me that a guy with this many indictments can still find people to work for free.

There *is* a midget who plays the accordian...he's a cute lil' fella...but the rest of the tunnels  inhabitants  should die in a fire...

Really? I was there back in July, I was staying Jersey and commuting to NYC and never encountered these folks...must of been vacation time for them. Then again I did just put on my headset and blast the music, so maybe I just missed them. Aww well I would have had a hoot, the guys I was with, they don't normally take to this type of stuff lightly.

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
The societal zeitgeist.

The societal zeitgeist.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Quote:Who's shoving religion

Quote:
Currently, nobody at all. It's kind of weird. I know one woman at work. She's a fundie Christian, a member of one community (sect) in a nearby city. She is, reputedly, an awful person with all fundie flaws you can think of, like purism, bigotry, sanctimony, and so on. She does harm to her colleagues, (like a reporting someone's puny and untrue sins to the supervisor) and she proselytizes as well. That's what I heard.
But I rarely get together with her at work. And besides that, I work very hard to help everyone, to uphold their spirits (proverbially), to encourage them, to entertain them, to stand up for them in front of the bosses. I do my best to help them to express their best personality qualities.
And so, that religious woman never did anything to me. If there wouldn't be the numerous references from my other colleagues, I'd never know who she is or what she reputedly does. And I am probably the only one there, able to respond her properly, if she would try on me anything. Maybe she's holding herself back because I'm a man, or because I do what I do. But I'll continue in being like that, because this is the only way I can have a positive influence on her. If she tries anything, I probably try the method of innocent common sense, worried about the inconsistencies in dogma. I'm not sure if she'd react well to atheism or esotericism.

Before you guys start asking me where I live so you can move there, you should know something first. What is lacking on religion in society, is more than returned on omnipresent corruption and thievery, lack of democ(k)racy, high environmental pollution, low salaries, high working tempo, alcoholism, and unhealthy national cuisine. And, the Churches are still supported by the state. (probably because they take care for the ancient historical temples and cathedrals)

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
Luminon wrote:Currently,

Luminon wrote:
Currently, nobody at all. It's kind of weird. ...Before you guys start asking me where I live so you can move there,...

Aside from the "assaults" by the variety of god "freaks" that I experienced (occasionally) between the 1970's through the 1990's
in the subway in NYC, where there's a captive audience,
I've not personally been "molested", except for the very occasional doorbell ringer for quite some time.

From my own experience, having lived in 4 States over the past half century, I don't think our personal experience is unusual, which
is exactly why I created this thread... "as a show of hands", of what personal experiences have created some measure of hostility on a personal social level, rather than what we all get from the assholes on the larger social / legal, TV, Internet, Book, etc., etc., etc. level.

My interest is in regard to what extent hostilities are
as a result of DIRECT personal interaction, rather than INDIRECT causes which ARE valid, BUT NOT unique.

In other words...

The question I've in mind is whether people here are (in general) expressing hostility
due to causes BEYOND WHICH affect us all. BEARING IN MIND... there MAY BE some folks here, or their personal
friends and close relatives that WERE OR ARE in DIRE need of stem cell research, an abortion, and a host of other
things which do directly effect all of us, BUT to varying degrees.

At this point, I've NOT heard anything that indicates that the hostilities which occur and are widely felt are as a result of personal
experiences, WHICH would point to hostilities felt as a result of society at large, law, etc., etc.

Why ask?

Just curious is some people might feel these larger social issues on a more personal level than other people do as a result of their own personalities and degree to which they personalize larger social issues given the extent to which their own personal
philosophical issues are at odds with the religious right's influence on society,
laws, etc.

But why ask again?

Just wondering about the degree of "personalization"
of larger issues that might well be impersonal... Which is again, why I asked!

(No. Not gonna ask your State.)

Bulldog
Superfan
Bulldog's picture
User is offlineOffline
All of us are having

All of us are having religious crap shoved down our throats on a daily basis whether we realize it or not.  Every day, somewhere in this country there is some delusional jackass trying to get god in the classroom, on public buildings, in public parks, in politics and every facet of life.  Fundies do this shit continuously, that is where it is being shoved down our throats.  If the Texass school board's barely minority jesus members get their way it will be in all the primary educational textbooks across the country.  They are the largest buyer of textbooks for K-12 schools and they just managed to get a loophole in the Texass Board of Education's text criteria that will allow the publishers of texts to be pressured to change criteria without going through the ususal board of education processes.

Lawsuits to allow prayer in school, the ten commandments, posters with "In god We Trust" printed boldly in every classroom are launched locally across the nation.  Efforts are being made to allow prayers before every local, state and federal governmental meeting,  to allow the teaching of christianity in schools without giving equal time to any other religion.  They are trying to legislate moral behavior and speech, they are even trying to take over the military and force the conversion of non-believers or christians who are not of their particular form of dementia.  Can you say dominionism?

I don't care about the dipwads coming around to my house to espouse their absurd dogma, I actually look forward to those idiots.  I have a number of favorite methods of making them run for their lives, the best is telling them I was just starting a sacrifical rite to Satan and ask if they would like to join me.  I've actually had them knocking each other down trying to get out of the gate first.]

The danger is not from those who go around spouting their crap from the street corners or going door to door.  The ones we have to take on are those who are politically savvy, even if not intellectually astute, because they are the ones who will transform this country into a theocracy.  It won't be the simpletons who go door to door or stand on the street corner, they are merely pathetic. 

We all need to pay attention to local politics, particularly the school boards.  This is where the battle will be waged in the short term.  Once they have won enough battles and "In god We Trust" posters hang in every classroom, they will have set some sort of precedence for larger battles, and will stand a better chance at winning the big battles in the federal courts, the Congress and the Executive Branch.

The last eight years they made a pitched battle to get their myths in the public life and were smacked down in every key battle, but they did win some concessions from the little imbecile who occupied the White House these past eight years.  With few friends in the federal gov't they have redirected their energies to tackling the same thing in local politics where they stand a better chance or getting their way.  We all need to get more politically active and make every effort to stop them from accomplishing their goals.

"Erecting the 'wall of separation between church and state,' therefore, is absolutely essential in a free society." Thomas Jefferson
www.myspace.com/kenhill5150

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:EXCLUDING TV,

treat2 wrote:

Haha! Yeah, besides every cultural institution around you, who? Holy shit.

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
For Fuck's sake! Read the

For Fuck's sake!

Read the goddamn thread post and tell us something we don't know, blogass.

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote: For Fuck's

treat2 wrote:
For Fuck's sake! Read the goddamn thread post and tell us something we don't know, blogass.

You just like being angry, don't you? That's it, isn't it? You just like "yelling" at people. Do you not get to be honest with people in your real life, or is there another frustration that keeps you on edge like this?

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

peppermint
Superfan
peppermint's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thankfully I don't deal with

Thankfully I don't deal with religion every day or even every week. But I occasionally get harassed by street preachers, Jehovas Witnesses and the annoying acquantice who feels the need to spread their bullshit near me.

*Our world is far more complex than the rigid structure we want to assign to it, and we will probably never fully understand it.*

"Those believers who are sophisticated enough to understand the paradox have found exciting ways to bend logic into pretzel shapes in order to defend the indefensible." - Hamby

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
HisWillness wrote:treat2

HisWillness wrote:

treat2 wrote:
For Fuck's sake! Read the goddamn thread post and tell us something we don't know, blogass.

You just like being angry, don't you? That's it, isn't it? You just like "yelling" at people. Do you not get to be honest with people in your real life, or is there another frustration that keeps you on edge like this?

No. We ALL get that stuff.
This thread's not about that and I made that clear in the that post.

Your irritation with me is your personal thing, suggest you come to terms with that.
It's not my problem.

Luminon
SuperfanTheist
Luminon's picture
User is offlineOffline
Bulldog wrote:We all need to

Bulldog wrote:

We all need to pay attention to local politics, particularly the school boards.  This is where the battle will be waged in the short term.  Once they have won enough battles and "In god We Trust" posters hang in every classroom, they will have set some sort of precedence for larger battles, and will stand a better chance at winning the big battles in the federal courts, the Congress and the Executive Branch.

Scary. They should be forced by the law (or other gods) to have it written like
"In White Male Rich Right-winged Post-Nikea Evangelistic Christianic God We Trust".
That would be a good bumper sticker.

Beings who deserve worship don't demand it. Beings who demand worship don't deserve it.