RNA creates itself in the lab

Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
User is offlineOffline
RNA creates itself in the lab

Props to 804 for this one:

Blammo!

I know, the creationist's arguments are already dead anyway.

But now they're, like, really, really dead.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Well, scientists made in the

Well, scientists made in the laboratory. Doesn't that make this proof of intelligent design? 

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

MichaelMcF
Science Freak
MichaelMcF's picture
User is offlineOffline
I can see 2 responses to

I can see 2 responses to this:

1.  OMG teh hAxX0r!

2.  Come now Kevin.  Surely you of all people must know what's really going on here.  God, in his infinite wisdom, inspired these men to intelligently design this molecule so that it would test our faith is his holy creation.  If we look at this and still see that Adam was created from dirt then we'll be stronger christians.

Personally I'd just like to add a BOO YA!  to your Blammo!

Forget Jesus, the stars died so that you could be here
- Lawrence Krauss

Hambydammit
High Level DonorModeratorRRS Core Member
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hehe...  I posted about

Hehe...  I posted about this on my wordpress blog, and I was tempted to include some of these predictions of theist responses, but I refrained, preferring to let them prove themselves without bias.

Here's the first reply:

Quote:
Whoops you missed it again. This story is so much like the Miller–Urey experiment, you quickly interpret the information with your Darwin glasses on and fail to look atht ewhole picture.

First the experiment starts with material and conditions “one might imagine took place on the early Earth.” (Evolutionists like to do a lot of imagining to make their theory work).

Secondly, I assume that Mr John Sutherland is an intelligent man. Which means that he used his intelligence to design the environment that took to create the results.

This is a cool chemistry experiment he did here, but scientifically it only shows how a ribonucleotide could be made with chemicals we have available to us today. By the way, did he even create an RNA string at all? Didn’t think so.

You really want to prove that life can come from lifeless chemicals. Start with a void, sterile environment and do nothing with it. If life produces itself from nothing I would start to believe in your story.

If anyone wants to take a crack at the crackpot, have at it.  I don't feel like bothering with him at the moment.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

http://hambydammit.wordpress.com/
Books about atheism

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
Hamby, That one hates losing

Hamby,

That one hates losing his gaps so much he's got out his shoehorn to try and squeexe God in.

A "void, sterile environment"? Why should we start out with less than his God did?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:Secondly,

Hambydammit wrote:

Secondly, I assume that Mr John Sutherland is an intelligent man. Which means that he used his intelligence to design the environment that took to create the results.

Hahahahahahaha. That's exactly what I said! I knew it, I knew it.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, | As I foretold you, were all spirits, and | Are melted into air, into thin air; | And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, | The cloud-capped towers, the gorgeous palaces, | The solemn temples, the great globe itself, - Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve, | And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, | Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff | As dreams are made on, and our little life | Is rounded with a sleep. - Shakespeare

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Yep, butter.  Good

Yep, butter.  Good call.

By the way, apropos of absolutely nothing, I have this image in my head of what you look like, and it's Leopold Stotch.  Just thought you should know.

Atheism isn't a lot like religion at all. Unless by "religion" you mean "not religion". --Ciarin

Books about atheism

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
butterbattle

butterbattle wrote:

Hambydammit wrote:

Hahahahahahaha. That's exactly what I said! I knew it, I knew it.

This one was even better:

Quote:
(Evolutionists like to do a lot of imagining to make their theory work).

Really nifty discovery. We're rapidly running out of things we need god to explain, I have a feeling conciousness will be the next big one.

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:Really nifty

Quote:
Really nifty discovery. We're rapidly running out of things we need god to explain, I have a feeling conciousness will be the next big one.

Meh.  Science can explain consciousness perfectly well.  It's the philosophers who have issues with it.

Books about atheism

Manageri
atheist
Manageri's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit

Hambydammit wrote:

Quote:

Meh.  Science can explain consciousness perfectly well.  It's the philosophers who have issues with it.

I agree it's obvious how it can be explained purely by natural means, but I thought there isn't really a lot of evidence for it all?

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote:By the

Hambydammit wrote:

By the way, apropos of absolutely nothing, I have this image in my head of what you look like, and it's Leopold Stotch.  Just thought you should know.

Y'know, butter posted a picture a while back ...

Saint Will: no gyration without funkstification.
fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
Kevin R Brown wrote:I know,

Kevin R Brown wrote:

I know, the creationist's arguments are already dead anyway.

But now they're, like, really, really dead.

Need I remind you that these are the guys who put saddles on dinosaurs? There's no cure for that kind of crazy. Their enthusiasm for rationalization is, in my opinion, only eclipsed by their industrial-strength cognitive dissonance. You could argue that those talents are one and the same, but I think we need to give crazy credit where crazy credit is due.

fabulae! nil satis firmi video quam ob rem accipere hunc mi expediat metum. - Terence

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Despite the original posters

Despite the original posters wishful thinking, there was no RNA produced. If in fact this is the magic atheists were all waiting for then we should soon have a Chemistry experiment that produces evolving RNA in the lab. Of course we don't, despite the incredible accolades that would be showered on such a production. Instead, atheist choir boys get all giddy about the words of their prophets.

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
Manageri wrote:Really nifty

Manageri wrote:

This is like saying when we discover a new number between 0 and 1 we are close to filling the gaps. Your confidence is due to your lack of perspective.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:Manageri

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Manageri wrote:

This is like saying when we discover a new number between 0 and 1 we are close to filling the gaps. Your confidence is due to your lack of perspective.

Why do you work so hard to save your allegedly omnipotent God? Does the increase in human knowledge frighten/anger you so much?

Should we stop learning and say "It's magic! God must have done it!"?

"I do this real moron thing, and it's called thinking. And apparently I'm not a very good American because I like to form my own opinions."
— George Carlin

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Quote:I agree it's obvious

Quote:
I agree it's obvious how it can be explained purely by natural means, but I thought there isn't really a lot of evidence for it all?

Evidence for consciousness?  Um...

{Hamby's consciousness implodes in a poof of self-awareness.}

What in the world could you possibly be talking about?

Books about atheism

BobSpence
High Level DonorRational VIP!ScientistWebsite Admin
BobSpence's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:Manageri

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Manageri wrote:

Your dismissal of a significant step in understanding how life emerged without involving the logical absurdity of a magic super-being is due to your pathological antipathy to atheism, and your inability to let go of an indefensible set of naive, primitive assumptions.

Favorite oxymorons: Gospel Truth, Rational Supernaturalist, Business Ethics, Christian Morality

"Theology is now little more than a branch of human ignorance. Indeed, it is ignorance with wings." - Sam Harris

The path to Truth lies via careful study of reality, not the dreams of our fallible minds - me

From the sublime to the ridiculous: Science -> Philosophy -> Theology

butterbattle
ModeratorSuperfan
butterbattle's picture
User is offlineOffline
Hambydammit wrote: Yep,

Hambydammit wrote:

Yep, butter.  Good call.

Leopold Stotch? Who's that?

*goes to google images*

*facepalm*

Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
User is offlineOffline
I'm glad I'm not the only

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I always read your posts with butters' voice. No disrespect or anything, I guess it was just subconscious.

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."

OrdinaryClay
Theist
User is offlineOffline
BobSpence1

BobSpence1 wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Manageri wrote:

Your dismissal of a significant step in understanding how life emerged without involving the logical absurdity of a magic super-being is due to your pathological antipathy to atheism, and your inability to let go of an indefensible set of naive, primitive assumptions.

The atheist willingness to believe despite evidence is evidence of their faith. Demonizing me for questioning it is evidence of your insecurity in your beliefs.

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

OrdinaryClay wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Manageri wrote:

The atheist willingness to believe despite evidence is evidence of their faith. Demonizing me for questioning it is evidence of your insecurity in your beliefs.

You project a lot. I think you need to talk to a therapist about that.

Theism is why we can't have nice things.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay

OrdinaryClay wrote:

BobSpence1 wrote:

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Manageri wrote:

Except the evidence has been brought forth and is continuing to come. You're not questioning the evidence as much as insulting the presenters.

Belief in the face of evidence to the contrary? Now that's faith.

Every time I get interested in going back to God I run into folk like you. I don't know whether to harangue you or hug you.

— George Carlin

HisWillness
atheistRational VIP!
HisWillness's picture
User is offlineOffline
OrdinaryClay wrote:The

OrdinaryClay wrote:

Wow.

So you're saying you believe in all the gods? I mean, you're not an atheist with respect to any gods? Or do you just believe in any gods that happen to be around?

You don't believe in Apollo, right? So at least you know how the atheist feels with regard to one god. We just can't figure out why you're stuck on ... well, whichever one you're stuck on.

mcap
User is offlineOffline
proof of what?

That proves absolutely nothing.Where did these substances come from?They just arrived out of thin air?Big deal they reproduced it,you can produce almost anything in the right environment.

jcgadfly
Superfan
User is offlineOffline
mcap wrote: That proves

mcap wrote:

That proves absolutely nothing.Where did these substances come from?They just arrived out of thin air?Big deal they reproduced it,you can produce almost anything in the right environment.

So...

RNA produced from existing materials - "That proves absolutely nothing."

Canaanite deity speaks everything into existence according to a self-contradictory book - "I really don't see the problem."

Why is this?

— George Carlin

Hambydammit
Hambydammit's picture
User is offlineOffline
 Seriously.  Which part of

Seriously.  Which part of "the building blocks of RNA can and do assemble themselves in certain conditions" doesn't prove that the building blocks of RNA can and do assemble themselves in certain conditions?

I mean shit... that's what the whole argument is about, right?  RNA is too complex to self-assemble.

No... it's not.  See... the building blocks of it can self-assemble.  No God needed.  The process by which gradual self-assembly happens is well known from natural selection.  End of story.  We see the blocks, we know the process.

Books about atheism

Answers in Gene...
High Level Donor
Answers in Gene Simmons's picture
User is offlineOffline
(No subject)

NoMoreCrazyPeople wrote:
Never ever did I say enything about free, I said "free."

=