Should all drugs be legalized?

Stoic
Stoic's picture
Posts: 27
Joined: 2009-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Should all drugs be legalized?

How's that for a question, eh? Personally I think drugs should be legalized and placed into stores, but why? Well, my prediction to such a circumstance would be that it would reduce most if not ALL drug related crimes. A downfall however, would be that upon legalization there would be a burst of people wanting drugs, but I would predict this would come to a slow down in further years for I've come to an opinion that most drug users are merely doing it to disobey the law, the rest do it because of an addiction. I understand that's quite a radical assumption, but we all have our own opinions. Anyway, here's a list of pros and cons for people like me who are lazy and want to get to the chase.

 

Pros:

 - Murder would be greatly reduced

 - Imprisoning for drug abuse will be abolished

 - The economy will be greatly helped (money spent housing and feeding "thugs" will be reduced, also drug money would help)

 - For all we know people may be over all happier

 

Cons:

 - The number of rapes may be increased increasing murder from what it has reduced to (date rape drugs)

 - Many people will become addicted to such drugs upon legalization (which may prove harmless)

 - Drug related deaths are more likely to occur

 

My opinion is my own, I'd like to hear your opinions on this, are you for legalized drugs? Or against them?


Anonymouse
atheist
Posts: 1687
Joined: 2008-05-04
User is offlineOffline
Hmm, well, pot is still

Hmm, well, pot is still legal in Holland, but they're actually doing a little backpedaling on that subject, or so I've heard. And not because of any significant increase in crime or addiction.

No, it's because of traffic problems.

Just imagine, it's the start of the weekend, and every pothead from every other european country gets in his car and heads for your border. There were just too many of them.


Jormungander
atheistScience Freak
Jormungander's picture
Posts: 938
Joined: 2008-07-15
User is offlineOffline
Stoic wrote:Cons: - The

Stoic wrote:

Cons:

 - The number of rapes may be increased increasing murder from what it has reduced to (date rape drugs)

Date rape drugs would still be illegal.

 

Stoic wrote:

- Drug related deaths are more likely to occur

Why would that be? Why would legal drugs be any deadlier or more prevalent than the illegal drugs that our society is flooded with?

 

Stoic wrote:

- Many people will become addicted to such drugs upon legalization (which may prove harmless)

Why would they be addicted because of legalization? If they desire drugs, then they can access them now. I don't believe that legalization would make drug use more prevalent or increase the number of addicts.

"You say that it is your custom to burn widows. Very well. We also have a custom: when men burn a woman alive, we tie a rope around their necks and we hang them. Build your funeral pyre; beside it, my carpenters will build a gallows. You may follow your custom. And then we will follow ours."
British General Charles Napier while in India


Stoic
Stoic's picture
Posts: 27
Joined: 2009-05-11
User is offlineOffline
You make some good points,

You make some good points, although I believe there will be a rush of people buying drugs upon legalization, hence leaving many people addicted and eventually dying a drug related death, all your other points seem fully logical.

Dictated but not read.


treat2 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Legalized, yeah. Free...

Legalized, yeah. Free... even better, via a totally socialized medical system.

BTW. Same goes for syringes, hypos, and condoms for kids to reduce spread of AIDS.

Buyer beware... if purchased w/o a Script, as per law suits.


The Doomed Soul
atheist
The Doomed Soul's picture
Posts: 2148
Joined: 2007-08-31
User is offlineOffline
Stoic wrote:hence leaving

Stoic wrote:

hence leaving many people addicted and eventually dying a drug related death

 

Wait... what was the downside again? Weak humans die'ing you say? More plz!

What Would Kharn Do?


mrjonno
Posts: 726
Joined: 2007-02-26
User is offlineOffline
I think when you have such a

I think when you have such a complex moral issue with both pro's and con's its best to ask the Catholic Church its opinion on the matter then you can take the exact opposite view and know there is a fair chance you have done the right thing Smiling

 


Awelton85
Superfan
Awelton85's picture
Posts: 143
Joined: 2009-01-03
User is offlineOffline
If you use the search

If you use the search function you will find this question has been asked several times in the past few months. I find it interesting how many people are worried about what will probably never happen. I think it's only a matter of time before pot is made legal, mainly because it is no worse for you than alcohol or tobacco. Other drugs have severe health risks and will probably never be legal.

"So far as I can remember, there is not one word in the Gospels in praise of intelligence." - Bertrand Russell

Stewie: Yay and God said to Abraham, "you will kill your son, Issak", and Abraham said, I can't hear you, you'll have to speak into the microphone." "Oh I'm sorry, Is this better? Check, check, check... Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."


Stoic
Stoic's picture
Posts: 27
Joined: 2009-05-11
User is offlineOffline
Awelton85 wrote:If you use

Awelton85 wrote:
If you use the search function you will find this question has been asked several times in the past few months. I find it interesting how many people are worried about what will probably never happen. I think it's only a matter of time before pot is made legal, mainly because it is no worse for you than alcohol or tobacco. Other drugs have severe health risks and will probably never be legal.

 

It's a completely reasonable question, but everything always boils down to this; freedom or safety? We, although in a democracy have many rights prohibited, some even stated in the constitution(I kind of worded that strange, I mean some rights in the constitution are prohibited). Our pledge of allegiance is showing our respect to hypocrisy, why is that? Although our country is over 200 years old we still need to patch some things up. Take the FCC for example; censoring television? That's a violation of the first amendment and should be abolished forthwith. Just because it is on a screen it makes it right to censor? We might as well send people to jail for yelling "Fuck!" in the streets.

 

Just a side note: I don't do drugs and don't plan to but we should at least have the right to.

Dictated but not read.


SSBBJunky
Superfan
Posts: 209
Joined: 2009-02-06
User is offlineOffline
mrjonno wrote:I think when

mrjonno wrote:

I think when you have such a complex moral issue with both pro's and con's its best to ask the Catholic Church its opinion on the matter then you can take the exact opposite view and know there is a fair chance you have done the right thing Smiling

 

Can't go wrong there.

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''


treat2 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Just for clarity ... Are

Just for clarity ...

Are you referring to legal
or illegal drugs?


mrjonno
Posts: 726
Joined: 2007-02-26
User is offlineOffline
No one should go to jail for

No one should go to jail for possessing any drugs unless there is a suspicion that they may be used for other non-drug related crimes.

Thats not to say every drug should be legalised, just take each drug examine the cost to the user but more importantly the cost to society as a whole, examine the cost of restricting it and make a rational non-moralistic decision on the subject.

 

 


treat2 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Stoic wrote:Should all drugs

Stoic wrote:
Should all drugs be legalized?

The illegal ones should be.

I don't know how you envision legalizing drugs that are already legal.


SSBBJunky
Superfan
Posts: 209
Joined: 2009-02-06
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:Stoic

treat2 wrote:
Stoic wrote:
Should all drugs be legalized?
The illegal ones should be. I don't know how you envision legalizing drugs that are already legal.

Duh! They'll be twice as legal!

''Black Holes result from God dividing the universe by zero.''


treat2 (not verified)
Posts: 4294964979
Joined: 1969-12-31
User is offlineOffline
Would that mean I could get

Would that mean I could get the twice legal drugs w/o a script?


Kevin R Brown
Superfan
Kevin R Brown's picture
Posts: 3142
Joined: 2007-06-24
User is offlineOffline
Well, the vast majority of

Well, the vast majority of drugs may as well be legalized (cannabis, coccaine and ecstasy come to mind) because of the ease of access to them even while illegal and the dubiousness of claims surrounding their impact on the health of the user (particularly in comparison to legalized narcotics like tobacco and alcohol).

However... I've caved to the notion that some drugs are likely best left illegal (heroine and methamphetamine come to mind) because the detrimental health effects are much more obvious and their ability to make their users much more susceptible to outbursts of violence is much more obvious. Granted, keeping the 'bad' drugs illegal would not prevent people from using or selling them, but I think if we eased-up on the 'okay' drugs we would find that use of the really harmful substances would scale back considerably as they become percieved more as a fringe activity.

Quote:
"Natasha has just come up to the window from the courtyard and opened it wider so that the air may enter more freely into my room. I can see the bright green strip of grass beneath the wall, and the clear blue sky above the wall, and sunlight everywhere. Life is beautiful. Let the future generations cleanse it of all evil, oppression and violence, and enjoy it to the full."

- Leon Trotsky, Last Will & Testament
February 27, 1940