Do you believe the pope has the power to bless?

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Do you believe the pope has the power to bless?

We see him raising his hand and blessing all around him, including matter. What do you make of it?
Should I accept his blessings or curse them?

nigelTheBold
atheist
nigelTheBold's picture
User is offlineOffline
Absolutely, the Pope has the

Absolutely, the Pope has the power to bless.

So do you. So do I. The power to bless isn't much, as blessing is just as powerful as prayer. It's completely impotent.

"Yes, I seriously believe that consciousness is a product of a natural process. I find that the neuroscientists, psychologists, and philosophers who proceed from that premise are the ones who are actually making useful contributions to our understanding of the mind." - PZ Myers

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Then why doesn’t he keep

Then why doesn’t he keep blessing day and night, 24/7 and convert this world into paradise?!… Something is amiss!…

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote:Then why

julio wrote:
Then why doesn’t he keep blessing day and night, 24/7 and convert this world into paradise?!… Something is amiss!…
Umm ...
nigelTheBold wrote:
It's completely impotent.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

EXC
atheist
EXC's picture
User is offlineOffline
julio wrote: We see him

julio wrote:
We see him raising his hand and blessing all around him, including matter. What do you make of it? Should I accept his blessings or curse them?

You should recognize it as a egotistical scam to get money, power and undue respect.

Taxation is the price we pay for failing to build a civilized society. The higher the tax level, the greater the failure. A centrally planned totalitarian state represents a complete defeat for the civilized world, while a totally voluntary society represents its ultimate success. --Mark Skousen

ClockCat
ClockCat's picture
User is offlineOffline
:3

I'll bless you.

...for a price.

treat2 (not verified)
User is offlineOffline
The one and only power The

The one and only power The Popes have over me, is that the sight of Popes, their gesticulations, smoke, dress, and feeble-minded utterances have all consistently made me laugh.

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
I have the power to vocally

I have the power to vocally utter, "I can fart a Lamborghini out of my ass". That doesn't mean I can litterally do that.

"Blessing" anything is an exercise in futility, like if you were to attempt to wipe your ass with air. You could try that but it would be the same as if you didnt wipe your ass at all.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
EXC wrote:julio wrote: We

EXC wrote:

julio wrote:
We see him raising his hand and blessing all around him, including matter. What do you make of it? Should I accept his blessings or curse them?

You should recognize it as a egotistical scam to get money, power and undue respect.

Why shouldn't we blindly respect an organization who's dictator acts as if he has a medical degree in sex organs, threatens politicians in countries he doesn't live, and pretends that high school drivers ed need him to learn that road rage is bad.

What should we expect from a mafia who took hundreds of years to say, "my bad" when Galelio pointed out their cosmic error.

You have a problem respecting that? You are a killjoy.

"We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus -- and nonbelievers."Obama
Check out my poetry here on Rational Responders Like my poetry thread on Facebook under Brian James Rational Poet, @Brianrrs37 on Twitter and my blog at www.brianjamesrationalpoet.blog

Thomathy
Superfan
Thomathy's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote:I have the

Brian37 wrote:
I have the power to vocally utter, "I can fart a Lamborghini out of my ass". That doesn't mean I can litterally do that.
I was going to tell you to speak for yourself.  That's right, Brian, you can't literally do that.  I, however, have power to spare after uttering that sentence.

BigUniverse wrote,

"Well the things that happen less often are more likely to be the result of the supper natural. A thing like loosing my keys in the morning is not likely supper natural, but finding a thousand dollars or meeting a celebrity might be."

Brian37
atheistSuperfan
Brian37's picture
User is offlineOffline
Thomathy wrote:Brian37

Thomathy wrote:

Brian37 wrote:
I was going to tell you to speak for yourself.  That's right, Brian, you can't literally do that.  I, however, have power to spare after uttering that sentence.

Do you think I will let a little pesky thing like reality stop me from making absurd claims?

YOU just farted a Lamborghini out of your ass, you just didn't see it or realize it. By proxy of naked assertion in the words of Captian Picard, "Make it so Number 1".

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Loved this reply. Brilliant!

EXC
You should recognize it
as an egotistical scam to get money,
power and undue respect.

p>Loved this reply. Brilliant!

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
treat2 wrote:The one and

treat2 wrote:
The one and only power The Popes have over me, is that the sight of Popes, their gesticulations, smoke, dress, and feeble-minded utterances have all consistently made me laugh.

Perfectly said! He is one of the best actors dressed as the funniest clown.

julio
atheist
julio's picture
User is offlineOffline
Brian37 wrote: I have the

Brian37 wrote:

"Blessing" anything is an exercise in futility, like if you were to attempt to wipe your ass with air. You could try that but it would be the same as if you didnt wipe your ass at all.

This one made me laugh a lot! Brilliant!